Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,256Posts
    • 18,067Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    The New Adventures of Fortune
    • 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    The New Adventures of Fortune 18th Feb 17 at 10:21 AM
    It is possible to move a mountain by carrying small stones

A new chapter.

We have spent a very happy 11 years in the Garden of England but are now looking to make a move. The winds are favourable and time is still on our side. I know it’s the right decision and I’m excited… and terrified.

It’s a fabulous opportunity to plan the next stage of our lives and realise our dreams. But I’m finding the size of the task daunting and know I am dragging my feet.

My diary has been invaluable in helping me to reach my goals in the past so I’m going to focus these new pages on making good decisions and progressing the move. It would be lovely to have some company on the journey and any advice, support or general cheerleading would be very much appreciated.

If I’m to move a mountain I’d better get on with carrying stones.

Fortune x

PS If you’d like to see my previous adventures you can find them here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 18-02-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Moving Costs: 75% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 52%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
Page 5
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 18,067 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Standstill
    Things have pretty much ground to a standstill this week due to the horrid bug. I've concentrated on making sure Mr F has everything he needs for work and my studies.

It was the 2nd day of my 3 day course on Friday so not something I could miss. Coughed and spluttered all the way through but think at least some stuff has sunk in. I've done some revision this morning and plan to do an hour or two each day. The final teaching input is next Friday morning then a mock exam and the real exam in the afternoon Despite the bug I am enjoying it and feel as though I've learned loads. It might present some money earning opportunities in the future too.

I demolished an ironing pile but quickly built another with a couple of completed loads of washing.

We've made savings on the fun money again by not having any fun I've not felt up to anything and Mr F's business travels have started up again so no opportunity really. I'm keeping myself entertained by browsing the R1ghtm0ve catalogue

Feeling better today so my plan for tomorrow is to clean all the bedrooms. I'll be re-booking the photographer on Monday so need to get things ready.

Hope you're all having a good weekend.

Fortune x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 5,445 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad to read you on the up Fortune
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/ February 2017=10,950
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 18,067 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    At last!
    Today I finally feel as though the bug and the irritating little cough it left me with are on the way out and I can start making progress.

I took my exam yesterday There were quite a lot of questions I wasn't sure about but I checked the answers when I got home and I may have done better than I first thought. I've definately done enough to get a pass.

With the exam out of the way I can concentrate on the house sale. The photographer has been re-booked for Tuesday afternoon so I've been preparing the house for that and Mr F and I have set aside all day tomorrow to do more.

Mr F was very stressed about work yesterday and I've realised how important it is to keep our external lives going during this move. Having said that, I cancelled a trip to London to meet friends today as I just couldn't face the journey whilst coughing non stop. As it happens, I'm not struggling quite so much now so Mr F and I have decided on a date night tonight. It's also the less expensive option

It's going to be a lazy day today as Mr F badly needs some down time. I've been eating straight from the fridge whilst Mr F has been away and I've been poorly, so I'm going to concentrate on getting some healthy eating reinstated.

Have a great weekend everyone

Fortune x

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 18th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Good to hear you're feeling better FS, having a date night sounds like a fine idea after illness and stress!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £2 a Day in March 2017 - £71.66/£62 (2017 total - £41.32) | Womble #03 - £1.97 | Overpayments - £155.12 | Emergency Savings - £0.00/£1000
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 18th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Glad you are feeling better - that horrible virus with the everlasting cough has been doing the rounds. When I had it I discovered the miracle drug Night Nurse- brilliant stuff that stops you coughing and helps you to sleep. Sounds like you are on the mend, so enjoy your evening
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 18th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Enjoy date night. We had a lazy day last Sunday. Sometimes it just has to be done.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 18,067 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Good to hear you're feeling better FS, having a date night sounds like a fine idea after illness and stress!
    Originally posted by VintageHistorian
    The cough got the better of me VH and we didn't go out after all. Mr F was content with watching all three rugby matches though

Glad you are feeling better - that horrible virus with the everlasting cough has been doing the rounds. When I had it I discovered the miracle drug Night Nurse- brilliant stuff that stops you coughing and helps you to sleep. Sounds like you are on the mend, so enjoy your evening
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    Thanks Busy Mee. I've been fine at night thank goodness it's just a constant throat clearing during the day. I hate even saying this word as it's sooooo gross but I think it's post nasal drip

Enjoy date night. We had a lazy day last Sunday. Sometimes it just has to be done.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    We did indeed have a lazy day yesterday Ele and very nice it was too.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 18,067 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    You win some...
    We did have a lazy day yesterday but didn't have our date night as the cough got the better of me in the end. I did follow the meal plan so am feeling a little healthier for that:

Leftover Leek, Bacon & Potato Soup for lunch. One of my favourite soup recipes. Made some Potato Soda Bread with cheese, garlic and thyme to go with it but mis-read the recipe and added 1 tsp of cayenne pepper instead of 1/2 tsp It was a bit too spicy but I think it might make an interesting version of Huevous Rancheros so will try that for lunch today.

Green Garden Veg Pie for supper to use up all the broccoli that seems to have been reproducing in the fridge There's plenty left over for a meal today too.

Mr F has gone to the gym and when he gets back we need to put the house in order for photographing. I'm hoping to have a more productive day today.

Happy Sunday everyone

Fortune x

• Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 19th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    I know I have said this before but I love your recipes - I will be making Leek,Bacon and Potato soup today. This will be great for lunches this week.
    The veg pie looks nice too so will keep that one too - ideal for using up veg.
    Happy Sunday to you too : )
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 20th Mar 17, 7:59 AM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 18,067 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I know I have said this before but I love your recipes - I will be making Leek,Bacon and Potato soup today. This will be great for lunches this week.
    The veg pie looks nice too so will keep that one too - ideal for using up veg.
    Happy Sunday to you too : )
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    I can't really take the credit for them Busy Mee - they are usually courtesy of BBCG00dF00d and T£$c0 Recipes

We don't eat much meat in the Fortunate household as I can't tolerate much. I think the Garden Pie recipe would be great with chops though if you're not veggie.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 20th Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 18,067 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Progress
    Mr F and I accomplished a lot in the house and garden yesterday although there is still much to do so a busy day ahead of me.

I made a bruschetta for breakfast this morning to use up the very spicy soda bread. It was based on Heuvos Rancheros. Roasted some cherry tomatoes with garlic, olive oil and seasoning and spread this on the toasted bread. Topped with fried eggs and grated parmesan. It worked quite well.

Meals today will be based on whatever is on its last legs in the fridge There are a few things sulking in there.

Have a great Monday all

Fortune x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 5,445 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Oooh, your breakfast had me running to conjure up something of my own

Have a good week Fortune
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/ February 2017=10,950
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 22nd Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 18,067 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Madness descends
    The photographer arrived yesterday along with a viewing I got a call from the Agent in the morning saying he had a lady with him who had been waiting to see the house and was desperate to view. He thought it might be possible as he knew the house would be ready for photographing. Well it's one thing piling everything up on the landing so the rooms to be photographed are clear and another to have the house ready for viewing! But I said yes and then stuffed everything into cupboards as quickly as I could.

The lady was supposed to meet the Agent at the house but turned up half and hour early with husband and toddler in tow. I had to start the viewing myself but thankfully the Agent arrived at the same time as the photographer so I could hand over the viewing to get the other stuff done.

I got some lovely feedback from the Agent and the photographer who thought I'd presented the house well. Feedback from the viewers was good too but I don't think we are the house for them. Apparently they need more bedrooms They had been told the number of bedrooms before the viewing but I think they thought the house would be able to grow some more by the time they got here

All good experience for me though - I feel as though I've ripped the Band Aid off and it will be easier from here on in. We should get the photos and bumpff today and tomorrow so will be in the R1ghtm0v£ catalogue by the end of the week.

Mr F gets paid soon and might get his bonus. I think its funny the way his company distribute the bonuses - nothing is ever said about them, they either appear in your salary or they don't. It will be very welcome if it does appear because all extra funds are being directed to moving costs.

My suggestions to anyone thinking of putting their house on the market:

1) make sure people have seen the photographs before they view the house. If they are that interested they'll be prepared to wait for the photos and you will know that they have put some thought into whether the house meets their needs beforehand

2) if you are going to bring daffodils into the house from the garden, make sure they are free of hundreds of pollen beetle who will time their synchronised flight to the kitchen window with the arrival of your viewers

I don't think they noticed

Wish me luck

Fortune x

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 22nd Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 36,377 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    2) if you are going to bring daffodils into the house from the garden, make sure they are free of hundreds of pollen beetle who will time their synchronised flight to the kitchen window with the arrival of your viewers

I don't think they noticed

Wish me luck

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Oh Fortune, dearest - you did make me larf I met up with our most favouritist Community Midwife yesterday, and gave her some daffs. Here's hoping if there was any pollen beetles in them, they'd wipe their feet before entering her home, after all, they weren't just any auld daffs, they were m&$ daffs......

I'm not entirely sure that logic and prior planning can be assumed of house viewers - but wish you all the luck in the world, that THE buyers are next through the door; with chequebook in hand, and solicitors and removal firm all sorted

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 22nd Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Congratulations on your first viewing Fortune. Fingers crossed some more viewings are as quick off the mark and come along soon.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 22nd Mar 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 18,067 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Oh Fortune, dearest - you did make me larf I met up with our most favouritist Community Midwife yesterday, and gave her some daffs. Here's hoping if there was any pollen beetles in them, they'd wipe their feet before entering her home, after all, they weren't just any auld daffs, they were m&$ daffs......

I'm not entirely sure that logic and prior planning can be assumed of house viewers - but wish you all the luck in the world, that THE buyers are next through the door; with chequebook in hand, and solicitors and removal firm all sorted

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    I think you're right Greying - one cannot expect logic and prior planning from house viewers However, I am expecting that of myself so shall be pausing and thinking (and inspecting for bugs) before taking any further steps.

The Agent and Photographer were so complimentary about the house that I'm sure we'll find the right buyer at the right time. It's not a mansion but it has beautiful countryside views and double aspect rooms that are full of light. We have been very, very happy here and I believe the house is a happy one as a result. Let's hope our viewers think so anyway.

We are planning a sight seeing/house hunting trip soon and I can't wait to see beautiful Shropshire.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 22nd Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 18,067 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Congratulations on your first viewing Fortune. Fingers crossed some more viewings are as quick off the mark and come along soon.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Thank you Ele. I can't wait to see the photographs and see the house through someone else's eyes.

Fortune x

• Darpett
    • By Darpett 22nd Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Darpett
    I am following this with interest as this is a journey we are hoping to be able to make in a few years time (although we will be heading up North)

Good luck
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 45,738 Posts
    • 160,290 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great start then
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 23rd Mar 17, 9:34 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    We once sold a small 3 bedroom semi, complete with agents details and comprehensive photos and were told by one lot of viewers that they needed at least 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, and by someone else that there wasn't room for their grand piano! When you've spent hours tidying up, not to mention raising your hopes that this might be the sale you need, it's hard not to be very rude!!!!!
    Good luck with it all, I enjoy your diary very much, though I am not the world's most prolific poster.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,669Posts Today

7,378Users online

Martin's Twitter