Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,401Posts
    • 19,300Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    The New Adventures of Fortune
    • 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    The New Adventures of Fortune 18th Feb 17 at 10:21 AM
    It is possible to move a mountain by carrying small stones

A new chapter.

We have spent a very happy 11 years in the Garden of England but are now looking to make a move. The winds are favourable and time is still on our side. I know it’s the right decision and I’m excited… and terrified.

It’s a fabulous opportunity to plan the next stage of our lives and realise our dreams. But I’m finding the size of the task daunting and know I am dragging my feet.

My diary has been invaluable in helping me to reach my goals in the past so I’m going to focus these new pages on making good decisions and progressing the move. It would be lovely to have some company on the journey and any advice, support or general cheerleading would be very much appreciated.

If I’m to move a mountain I’d better get on with carrying stones.

Fortune x

PS If you’d like to see my previous adventures you can find them here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 18-02-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Moving Costs: 100% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 64%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
Page 4
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 28th Feb 17, 8:08 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Pancake Day!
    Today I have:
    • listed 10 items on the FB sales site. 10 is the maximum amount you're allowed to list each day. 3 have sold already This also means I have made a start on decluttering the loft
    • filed 10 pieces of paper and some extras. I didn't get the chance to do any filing over the last couple of days so I'm playing catch up
    • reviewed a couple of files
    • packed 2 boxes
    We've paid out some money for the move already. Our Estate Agents require you to chose a marketing pack which includes the EPC and photos and you have to pay for it upfront. It's just a ploy to make sure you're committed and don't pull out leaving them with costs they can't recoup. Makes it feel a bit real though. They are coming to do the photos next Wednesday which gives me a bit of time to get dusting

We had a toasted brie and pancetta baguette for lunch and Cauliflower & Bacon Pasta for supper followed by...

Pancakes! With lots of lemon and sugar. Delicious.

Hump day tomorrow

Fortune x

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 1st Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    themadvix
    We're not fans of beetroot but occasionally get it in our veg box, so will bookmark this as a good recipe for using it! Thanks Fortune!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 1st Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 24,890 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Hi Fortune, just found your new diary, I used to dip into your old one occasionally. De-lurking to say hello from Shropshire and send a big wave to you from that town mentioned by brizzle

We moved back "home" 5 years ago, having spent 30 years in beautiful coastal Dorset, I absolutely loved living there, but we are so happy and content here, I am one very lucky human bean. Good vibes for your sale and search for a new home, the gods were certainly smiling on us for our sale and our purchase, it all went so smoothly.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 1st Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    We're not fans of beetroot but occasionally get it in our veg box, so will bookmark this as a good recipe for using it! Thanks Fortune!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Hi madvix. There's a beetroot curry recipe on the BBCG00dF00d site too. It sounds gross but I really like it and it makes a good side dish to other currys.

Hi Fortune, just found your new diary, I used to dip into your old one occasionally. De-lurking to say hello from Shropshire and send a big wave to you from that town mentioned by brizzle

We moved back "home" 5 years ago, having spent 30 years in beautiful coastal Dorset, I absolutely loved living there, but we are so happy and content here, I am one very lucky human bean. Good vibes for your sale and search for a new home, the gods were certainly smiling on us for our sale and our purchase, it all went so smoothly.
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Another friend in Shropshire Maddie - how lovely. Everyone I speak to from the area adores living there so I'm feeling quite excited about becoming a Salopian

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 1st Mar 17, 4:34 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Pondering
    Today I have been mainly pondering.

We had some news about two family members recently. One is facing a big health issue which came out of the blue and the other is in a very unhappy relationship where domestic violence is involved. I am so grateful for the wonderful life I have and who knows what's round the corner.

It's made me think that we shouldn't worry about buying a house at the top end of our budget. We're never going to commit to something we can't afford but this could be our chance to realise some life goals and it may never come along again. I'm going to grab the opportunity with both hands and if that means stretching a bit then so be it. I'll concentrate on being a MFW after the event

To this end I've:
    • completed the monthly money shuffle and transferred as much money as possible to savings
    • saved 50% off the cost of some anti-virus software which runs out soon
    • saved a few pounds on this week's grocery shopping
    • sold another FB item
    • all extra income diverted to savings
    • did all my pensions paperwork filing and reviewed what will be available to drawdown and when. I have one large defined benefit pension due and several smaller defined contribution pensions. The smaller ones would have a negligible impact on monthly income but, taken early as cash, could be used to reduce the mortgage and make more profitable interest savings

I am a great one for pondering but that doesn't get anything done does it so the kitchen clean I planned to do today will have to go on tomorrow's list... that list has been growing all week I have managed to get some washing done today though - Mr F was done to his last pair of pants this morning

Mr F is at HQ today and, I'm hoping, he might find out when his bonus will be paid. The first year he was there it was paid in March but the second year he didn't get it until May All the indications are that he will get it and in full so it's just a case of when.

No recipes today guys - we had leftover pancakes for breakfast this morning with banana, pecans and maple syrup and there's leftover Cauliflower & Bacon Pasta for supper. I'll use the cooking time saved to paint my nails - they still haven't recovered from disc-gate

Happy hump day!

Fortune x

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 2nd Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hi Fortune,

Thanks for the tip on the beetroot curry too - I've seen that before, but wasn't sure what it would be like!

Did you know you can get anti-virus for free? Some of the free ones are Which recommended. You might have good reason for paying for it, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. I'll dig out the article if you're interested (£1 trial, with profit (£6.50) from going through £co ). I use AVG, DH uses Avast, both come out well.
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 2nd Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hi Fortune,

Thanks for the tip on the beetroot curry too - I've seen that before, but wasn't sure what it would be like!

Did you know you can get anti-virus for free? Some of the free ones are Which recommended. You might have good reason for paying for it, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. I'll dig out the article if you're interested (£1 trial, with profit (£6.50) from going through £co ). I use AVG, DH uses Avast, both come out well.
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Thank Madvix - I'll be looking into that.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 2nd Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Procrastinating...
    ... about the kitchen cleaning. I'll have to start soon or I'll lose the natural light and that makes it much harder to see the cobwebs

Things I've been doing instead of cleaning:
    • listed 2 more attic items on FB. One has sold already
    • filled a box with DVDs and CDs to go to Z1ff1t. They don't pay much but I'm not going to turn my nose up at a few more pennies
    • 3 FB sales collected - £20 received
    • ordered a few cosmetic things to brighten the place up for photos - costs are covered by FB sales so far.

Doesn't seem much written down Better get the duster out

It's writing club tonight so I want to be finished in good time.

Fortune x

• unhappy_shopper
    • By unhappy_shopper 2nd Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    unhappy_shopper
    Found your new diary, FS. Wishing you a speedy journey towards your mortgage-free dreams :-)
    Mortgage: @ Feb. 2007: £133,200; Apr. 2011: £24,373; May 2011: £175,999; Jun 2013: ~£97K; Mar. 2014 £392,212.73; Dec. 2015: £327,051.77; Mar. 2016: ~£480K; Mar. 2017 £444,445.74
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 4th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Found your new diary, FS. Wishing you a speedy journey towards your mortgage-free dreams :-)
    Originally posted by unhappy_shopper
    Hi there US - thanks for dropping by and your kind words.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 4th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Kitchen cleaned!
    Well almost. I still have a few cobwebs to clear so will finish up today.

I was out all day yesterday on the course I booked with my Christmas vouchers. Good fun and very interesting and it leads to a qualification which might come in handy for future adventures. I wasn't sure about the arrangement for lunch and forgot to check beforehand so ended up paying for a very lacklustre and expensive meal Next time I'll make sure to take some sandwiches. I got a lift with the course tutor who is someone I know and lives quite close so saved a fortune in parking costs. I bought her a coffee to say thank you.

Someone should be coming to pick up an FB sale today (although she's been a bit flaky so I'm not holding my breath). I have another buyer lined up for that item is she fails to appear May have sold a further item too This year I've made about £250 from FB sales and a further £70 from Fleabay. I didn't think I had that much stuff left to sell. There still lots to be explored in the attic.

Today's small stones:
    • finish deep cleaning the kitchen
    • fill any small screw/picture hook holes in the walls
    • list some more items on FB
    • filing
    • general de-clutter (particularly Mr F's study)
    • an hour's course study.

There is a rather large ironing pile demanding my attention too.

It's all glamour and glitz here

Have a great weekend all

Fortune x

• Shortie
    • By Shortie 4th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 11,739 Thanks
    Shortie
    Morning Fortune xx

Sounds like you are having a productive day? Hooe your buyer holds true, I think it's rude when people don't show up. Hopefully if they decide not have the item they will have the courtesy of letting you know asap..

We're spending the day sorting the greenhouse. It was here when we bought the house and I've never really utilised it other than a wood store As dusty and mucky a job as it is, it's like a guilt-free shopping trip with all the things I'm discovering in there
    Apologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 7,163 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Ooh, you've inspired me to get my kitchen back in shape

I am also going to find some items to put on gumtree and do some ironing

I hope you are having a lovely Sunday
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=8,882
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 5th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Morning Fortune xx

Sounds like you are having a productive day? Hooe your buyer holds true, I think it's rude when people don't show up. Hopefully if they decide not have the item they will have the courtesy of letting you know asap..

We're spending the day sorting the greenhouse. It was here when we bought the house and I've never really utilised it other than a wood store As dusty and mucky a job as it is, it's like a guilt-free shopping trip with all the things I'm discovering in there
    Originally posted by Shortie
    Buyer didn't turn up Shortie. I can see that she didn't read the message I sent on Friday until early evening Saturday and it was a few hours later she responded to say she wasn't able to make it over the weekend. She's rearranged for Monday pm and if she cancels or doesn't turn up I'll sell elsewhere. I think it's rude too but you do sometimes get mucked around with FB sales. The sale I made on Saturday was picked up a couple of hours later so it balances things out I suppose.

I've found things in the attic I didn't know I had

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 5th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Ooh, you've inspired me to get my kitchen back in shape

I am also going to find some items to put on gumtree and do some ironing

I hope you are having a lovely Sunday
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Hi DIA

the kitchen does look a lot better for a declutter and a deep clean although it's the room that most needs decorating.

I've put a few more things on FB but the ironing remains untouched

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 5th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Wash Out
    Today has been a wash out in more ways than one. It's been pouring with rain all day and I have come down with a bug

So I have been loafing around all day doing very little

Fortunately we had lunch and supper leftover from yesterday so we have been well fed. Mr F has been having a bit of a clear up in his study and doing a couple of house readying chores

I'm feeling more rubbish by the minute so I'm thinking of postponing the photographer. He's due Wednesday but the weather isn't forecast to be great that day and I'm not sure I'll have the physical or mental energy to get things ready in time. I'm feeling stressed just thinking about it. I'll call the Agents tomorrow and talk it through with them.

What a wimp I am. I've never been great with colds and flu. They seem to hit me hard and my energy levels (which are tricky to maintain at the best of times) just dive bomb.

On the positive side, someone has expressed interest in another FB item I shall have a bit of a sort out tonight and list anything that hasn't sold on Fleabay.

Poorly Fortune means we haven't spent any of the fun money this weekend either so some extra can be transferred to savings

Hope you're weekend has been more successful

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 17, 8:41 PM
    • 46,282 Posts
    • 164,016 Thanks
    beanielou
    Take care of you Fortune
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 7,163 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You are right to cancel everything and get some rest. Take care x
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=8,882
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • greent
    • By greent 7th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 5,869 Posts
    • 59,344 Thanks
    greent
    Hope you feel better soon, Fortune x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £657.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9887/£10k Decluttered 865/2017 items
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 19,300 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Take care of you Fortune
    Originally posted by beanielou
    You are right to cancel everything and get some rest. Take care x
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Hope you feel better soon, Fortune x
    Originally posted by greent
    Thank you peeps - I am on the mend now.

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,980Posts Today

8,083Users online

Martin's Twitter