Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,449Posts
    • 19,947Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    The New Adventures of Fortune
    • 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    The New Adventures of Fortune 18th Feb 17 at 10:21 AM
    It is possible to move a mountain by carrying small stones

A new chapter.

We have spent a very happy 11 years in the Garden of England but are now looking to make a move. The winds are favourable and time is still on our side. I know it’s the right decision and I’m excited… and terrified.

It’s a fabulous opportunity to plan the next stage of our lives and realise our dreams. But I’m finding the size of the task daunting and know I am dragging my feet.

My diary has been invaluable in helping me to reach my goals in the past so I’m going to focus these new pages on making good decisions and progressing the move. It would be lovely to have some company on the journey and any advice, support or general cheerleading would be very much appreciated.

If I’m to move a mountain I’d better get on with carrying stones.

Fortune x

PS If you’d like to see my previous adventures you can find them here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 18-02-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Mortgage: 0.45% paid House Deposit Contribution: 64%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 15
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,733 Posts
    • 11,702 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    I luuuurvvve pancakes and waffles and all things like that they look yummy

I can confirm the banana, date and walnut loaf turned out beautifully. End slice (just to check it was ok for others of course ) eaten with a brew to confirm quality

You'll be moving in no time - it's flying. And browsing Pinterest for chalk coloured anything is more than acceptable use if time
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 12th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 7,715 Posts
    • 86,133 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Mr T became an Annie Sloane goddess before we moved 😉

Tilly xxxxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I luuuurvvve pancakes and waffles and all things like that they look yummy

I can confirm the banana, date and walnut loaf turned out beautifully. End slice (just to check it was ok for others of course ) eaten with a brew to confirm quality

You'll be moving in no time - it's flying. And browsing Pinterest for chalk coloured anything is more than acceptable use if time
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Glad the cake turned out well Purp - Mr F did a very thorough quality check of my bake

The house we're going to is bigger and a different style from our current home. There won't be much in the pot for buying furniture so I'm just going to have to get creative.

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Mr T became an Annie Sloane goddess before we moved 😉

Tilly xxxxx
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Are you hiring him out Tilly?

Fortune x

• Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 13th Jun 17, 8:19 PM
    • 7,715 Posts
    • 86,133 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Are you hiring him out Tilly?

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Oh sweetheart you can have him for nothing 😉
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 13th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 5,520 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Those pancakes looks far more delicious than the healthy ones I suggested, great find!

Browsing for inspiration so you don't need to buy all new furniture definitely counts as an mse activity
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Positive signs
    A lovely day here meant I could get some more washing done However, more washing means more ironing and I haven't done anything but all day. Did mean I could watch back to back episodes of Money for Nothing guilt free though

Mr Buyer emailed today to find out if we'd replied to their enquiries (yes we have... 3 times now). He seemed anxious to hurry things up and I started to worry that something had happened with Mrs Buyer's job after all. But it wasn't that. They have booked a holiday in July and want to be able to pick up the keys beforehand so that the new kitchen can go in whilst they are away. They obviously have no concerns about proceeding with the purchase or an imminent drop in income

Not sure booking a holiday before exchange is the best idea but at least I know they have a strong incentive to keep things moving. Might mean they don't push for that indemnity

My solicitor is out of the office until Thursday so there's nothing I can do now until then.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Oh sweetheart you can have him for nothing ��
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Tut, tut Tilly - that's not very MS

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Jun 17, 9:25 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Those pancakes looks far more delicious than the healthy ones I suggested, great find!

Browsing for inspiration so you don't need to buy all new furniture definitely counts as an mse activity
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Sadly more calorific though It's no wonder my jeans are tight

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 46,576 Posts
    • 165,616 Thanks
    beanielou
    I bet your jeans are not as tight as mine though Fact.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 15th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Stunning
    Such beautiful summer days. DC came round for supper last night (Courgette & Prawn Curry). We ate in the garden, drank wine and took an evening stroll through the lovely Kentish countryside. Stunning.

Mr Buyer contacted me again this morning with a copy of the outstanding questions in case I hadn't seen them Only three times at least I dropped my solicitor an email with an update but wasn't able to speak to her today. It was her first day in the office this week so I wasn't expecting any news. We signed the mortgage deed and the contract on our purchase and popped them in the post box this evening.

I discovered another load of washing by the laundry basket today. Not in the laundry basket - on the floor by the laundry basket. The laundry basket was empty So I took advantage of the sunshine to get that clear. Where does it all come from?

Lunch was leftover curry with baked potatoes and we ate in the garden again. Need to make the most of these light evenings - it's the longest day soon.

I have started preparing the house for the move. A bit optimistic I know but we might not have much time between exchange and completion at this rate. Today was the main bedroom and I'm ashamed to admit to the level of dust I found under the bed

I also listed 2 items on the Bay of E. I'm going to aim for 2 things a day although here's not much left to sell now.

Friday's seem to be a day of action for the solicitors so I'm interested to see what tomorrow brings.

Take care

Fortune x

• shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 15th Jun 17, 10:09 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Exciting times ahead. As little anecdote when we bought our house we had already got a 2 week Maldives holiday booked. We ended up exchanging contracts and moving out of our flat on the Thursday, headed on holiday on the Friday then completed 2 weeks later and 2 days after returning home! Not sure Mrs SJ enjoyed the whole experience too much!!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023...
    28//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £29,621.76
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £106,378.27 // Avg Daily Interest £4.78
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 42.45% of £41,000
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 20th Jun 17, 7:44 AM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Exciting times ahead. As little anecdote when we bought our house we had already got a 2 week Maldives holiday booked. We ended up exchanging contracts and moving out of our flat on the Thursday, headed on holiday on the Friday then completed 2 weeks later and 2 days after returning home! Not sure Mrs SJ enjoyed the whole experience too much!!
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy
    Oh my word! I don't think I'd have enjoyed the experience much either Jimmy.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 20th Jun 17, 7:58 AM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I know it's only Tuesday but...
    I'm getting very frustrated waiting for my solicitor to do stuff and it's only Monday. We are expecting to exchange this week and I can't settle to anything. I'm just sitting around waiting for news. We are almost ready to go on but there are still a couple of things outstanding:
    • our solicitor needs to speak to Mr Buyer's to sort out these revolving questions
    • we need a copy of the contract report from our solicitor
    • lender needs to confirm they have received some extra info they requested and confirm they are happy.

It's not a very long list.

I chased my solicitor yesterday morning. My Buyer chased me yesterday afternoon. Mr Buyer's solicitor is going to chase mine this morning. There's a lot of chasing going on.

I'm crossing my fingers we hear something more today.

Not very patient Fortune x

• shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 20th Jun 17, 8:02 AM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Solicitors always go at snails pace! I think its to wind us up even more, and i bet they can box off a sale and purchase in 4 weeks if it was their own! Easy for me to say but things will work out, they generally always do!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023...
    28//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £29,621.76
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £106,378.27 // Avg Daily Interest £4.78
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 42.45% of £41,000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 46,576 Posts
    • 165,616 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am sure all will come together really really soon.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 20th Jun 17, 3:49 PM
    • 7,479 Posts
    • 39,136 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    That's ridiculous Purp. And when the house sells again another indemnity will be required. Someone is making money here

Fortune x
    Nope - indemnity policies generally cover the mortgage lender and the purchases and their successors in title.

Thanks ETE - he's already rolled over on one of the indemnities because my solicitor was able to show there was zero risk to the buyer so fingers crossed.

I love pancakes so that's breakfast sorted for tomorrow

Fortune x
    It also doesn't have to fall to the seller to pay for the policy - sometimes (things like windows fitted without the right paperwork being obtained) it's entirely reasonable that the person "responsible" should cough up - but often if it comes down to something that is more of a "possible" concern for a buyer than something a mortgage co will be worried about, it can be negotiated for a buyer to pay if they are insistent that they want the policy.

Solicitors always go at snails pace! I think its to wind us up even more, and i bet they can box off a sale and purchase in 4 weeks if it was their own! Easy for me to say but things will work out, they generally always do!
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy
    4 weeks...Hmmm! Mostly the things that cause delays are to'ing and fro'ing with mortgage companies, and waiting for local authority searches to come back (anything up to 8 weeks - some local authorities used to be worse than that!) - generally speaking they are a lot better than they used to be though! Mortgage co's can be a nightmare though.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£412.21
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 20th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    One step forward...
    as they say.

My solicitor sent final responses to our buyers today. It was late, the letter is full of spelling mistakes and there were two factual errors in it

I have written directly to the buyer to point out the mistakes and to my solicitor to ask for them to be corrected immediately. I've asked the buyer to contact me if anything more is needed.

I should get the contract report on our new house tomorrow.

I'm going to bring this exchange about by force of will

Fortune x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 7,644 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Your buyer is getting on my nerves too. You have the patience of a saint. You'll soon be free of your buyer. Keep the faith
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/July 2017=7,950
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 20th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 19,947 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment and offer advice. It's very appreciated and I'm taking on board all the love and wisdom

You are keeping me sane

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

4,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin