Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,528Posts
    • 20,803Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    The New Adventures of Fortune
    • 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    The New Adventures of Fortune 18th Feb 17 at 10:21 AM
    It is possible to move a mountain by carrying small stones

A new chapter.

We have spent a very happy 11 years in the Garden of England but are now looking to make a move. The winds are favourable and time is still on our side. I know it’s the right decision and I’m excited… and terrified.

It’s a fabulous opportunity to plan the next stage of our lives and realise our dreams. But I’m finding the size of the task daunting and know I am dragging my feet.

My diary has been invaluable in helping me to reach my goals in the past so I’m going to focus these new pages on making good decisions and progressing the move. It would be lovely to have some company on the journey and any advice, support or general cheerleading would be very much appreciated.

If I’m to move a mountain I’d better get on with carrying stones.

Fortune x

PS If you’d like to see my previous adventures you can find them here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 18-02-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Mortgage: 0.94% paid House Deposit Contribution: 72%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 14
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 6th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 20,803 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    A Blustery Day
    I braved the weather to have an impromptu coffee with a lovely friend this morning. I paid for coffee and friend paid for cake So nice to spend some time in the company of someone who wishes me well.

Unlike the Toxics who have been gossiping about Mrs Buyer's employment position. It appears they are relishing the possibility of something going wrong for us. What awful people they've become. I'm not waiting for the move to cut them - I don't want them in my life a second longer

We had a good turn out for drinks on Saturday and it was lovely to see some good friends. We have lots of offers of a bed for the night if we want to come back anytime and lots of promises of visits to Shropshire

I got the unexpected chance to speak directly to the originator of the gossip and it seems there is no imminent risk. Mr Buyer came round yesterday to take some photos of the outside of the house so it doesn't seem as though they're expecting any bad news.

Another stone lifted today - our mortgage offer has been issued I haven't seen it yet but it is definitely on its way.

I've chased as much as I can now so it's back to waiting... wish I was better at it

Thank you everyone for commenting, commiserating and championing. You are keeping my faith in humanity alive

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 6th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 7,744 Posts
    • 86,419 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    All will be fine. People can be so weird at times.

Lots of normal people around here 😉

Tilly xx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 6th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 20,803 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    All will be fine. People can be so weird at times.

Tilly xx
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Thanks Tilly - I'm sure all will be fine Small problems in the bigger scheme of things.

Fortune x

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ah Fortune - lovely news to read on your thread too.

I must admit, I think that because Mr & Mrs Buyer are progressing like they expect to collect the keys on X date, you have to try to believe all will be well - MUCH easier said than done, I know. But I still think that the gossipers don't know everything about the buyer's position, financial or otherwise, even if they think they do.

But oh good gosh, am I not surprised you have pressed the 'eject' button on 'em. Truly, truly awful to relish trying to upset someone????? What.the. h3ck. are these people on?

I raise a virtual coffee, and a virtual cake to you and Mr Fortune and continue to believe all will be well for your move

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 8,482 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done for getting rid of the Toxics
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • greent
    • By greent 6th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 62,632 Thanks
    greent
    Well done on deleting the toxics from your life - never quite sure why some folk almost feed on (hopeful) misery of others

Glad all seems to be progressing well - long may that continue

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1515/2017 items
    • greent
    • By greent 6th Jun 17, 7:38 PM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 62,632 Thanks
    greent

Tilly xx
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Says she of the enormous toilet roll stockpile back in 2012ish and overpayer to the mortgage of 1p.... Some folks would surely think that we who inhabit the mfw board are anything but normal!
    xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1515/2017 items
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 6th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 7,744 Posts
    • 86,419 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Says she of the enormous toilet roll stockpile back in 2012ish and overpayer to the mortgage of 1p.... Some folks would surely think that we who inhabit the mfw board are anything but normal!
    xx
    Originally posted by greent

Nothing to see here, hurry along

I forgot about my loo roll purchase 😉
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 7th Jun 17, 6:57 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Well done on deleting the toxics, what a shame that some people are so insecure they need to hope other people fail to feel good about themselves.

It all sounds like it is progressing well
    Fortune.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 7th Jun 17, 7:36 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 20,803 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Last WI
    Attended what could be my last WI meeting here last night It was an interesting talk with a good atmosphere. The Chair said some lovely things about me and I was wished well by everyone. I'm going to miss the group.

No further news to report on the house move. Hurry up, hurry up, hurry up

Thanks again all for your support with the Toxics. It's good to know it's not just me who thinks their behaviour is unacceptable.

Have a great day

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 20,803 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    A few steps forward
    Our purchase is moving along nicely. We are just waiting for the contracts to be issued for signing and then we will be ready to exchange.

Our sale is moving too but at a much slower pace. Our buyers' solicitor seems to think that by repeatedly asking a question he may get a different answer He doesn't seem to be very current on some of the aspects of conveyancing and is demanding an indemnity policy for everything - we're up to 5 now

I'm just about to read through the details of our mortgage offer (deep breath) so we can sign and return the Mortgage Deed tomorrow. Then on Monday I'll set up house insurance so its ready for when we exchange and see when the removals company are available.

Looks like we'll be on track to exchange in the next couple of weeks and complete early July...

...unless our Buyers' solicitor feels he should repeat a few more questions and I think that's a distinct possibility

The weekend's here guys. Have a good one.

Fortune x

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 9th Jun 17, 6:33 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 12,297 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    I feel your pain fortune unfortunately some people just want to cover their !!!!! with these things. Same thing happened when we moved we had to indemnify that we didn't have planning permission for the 9 year old house we were selling. The face we didn't build it and the council confirmed they didn't have it anymore as it was over 6 years old and since destroyed was not eneough for the solicitor. I wouldn't have minded so much if we'd been a bespoke build in the middle of no where but we were house about 150 of 350 on the same site

Hang with it, it'll be worth it. At least it's not your solicitor being a muppet
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 47,172 Posts
    • 169,435 Thanks
    beanielou
    Moving along very nicely
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 20,803 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I feel your pain fortune unfortunately some people just want to cover their !!!!! with these things. Same thing happened when we moved we had to indemnify that we didn't have planning permission for the 9 year old house we were selling. The face we didn't build it and the council confirmed they didn't have it anymore as it was over 6 years old and since destroyed was not eneough for the solicitor. I wouldn't have minded so much if we'd been a bespoke build in the middle of no where but we were house about 150 of 350 on the same site

Hang with it, it'll be worth it. At least it's not your solicitor being a muppet
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26

That's ridiculous Purp. And when the house sells again another indemnity will be required. Someone is making money here

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 20,803 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Mr F arrived home from his business trip yesterday morning so I bought him up to speed with progress on the house move.

There are a couple of unexpected costs in the mortgage offer but only small ones so we can absorb those.

We checked how many questions from Buyers' Solicitor we'd manage to cross off and there are only 2 remaining and only 1 an indemnity request. It would still cost us over £200 though and is entirely unnecessary so we are going to push back on it.

Baked a Walnut, Date & Honey Cake to use up some sulky bananas. I still have one left so will have to find a use for it today.

Lunch was Warm Stilton Salad and supper was Aubergine & Goat's Cheese Pasta. there's some of the pasta sauce left over so we can have quick supper later if needed.

I understand the weather was dreadful in the North yesterday (what am I doing moving there ) but it was fabulous here so Mr F tidied up the garden a bit whilst I tidied the house. Family member who might rent our annex is coming for a visit today to discuss things and the bathroom wouldn't have stood up to public viewing

I've kept a little fun money back this month to give us a break from the house move so we're planning to go out together for a Sunday lunch. Nom, nom.

Hope it's stopped raining up there

Fortune x
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 11-06-2017 at 8:19 AM.

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 11th Jun 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    All progressing well Fortune. I think you can push back on indemnity stuff, I know our vendors did and our solicitor just said ok then!

At the moment my favourite use for bananas past their best is flourless pancakes. One banana mashed with one egg beaten and I put choc chips in. You're supposed to then fry them, but I always end up in a mess, so just put them on a tray with grease proof paper in the oven.

Enjoy your Sunday lunch, a break from house stuff is definitely a good idea.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 11th Jun 17, 8:56 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 1,325 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    I am not sure Shropshire can be classed as the North
    Your cake sounds delicious though and the pancakes ETE - I tend to make a chocolate and banana loaf when I need to use overripe bananas up.

Have a lovely lunch Fortune, you deserve a little treat after the stress of the last few weeks
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 20,803 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    All progressing well Fortune. I think you can push back on indemnity stuff, I know our vendors did and our solicitor just said ok then!

At the moment my favourite use for bananas past their best is flourless pancakes. One banana mashed with one egg beaten and I put choc chips in. You're supposed to then fry them, but I always end up in a mess, so just put them on a tray with grease proof paper in the oven.

Enjoy your Sunday lunch, a break from house stuff is definitely a good idea.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Thanks ETE - he's already rolled over on one of the indemnities because my solicitor was able to show there was zero risk to the buyer so fingers crossed.

I love pancakes so that's breakfast sorted for tomorrow

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Jun 17, 10:25 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 20,803 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I am not sure Shropshire can be classed as the North
    Your cake sounds delicious though and the pancakes ETE - I tend to make a chocolate and banana loaf when I need to use overripe bananas up.

Have a lovely lunch Fortune, you deserve a little treat after the stress of the last few weeks
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    You're right Busy Mee - it's the Midlands really but feels very 'North' looking up from the South Coast I've been keeping an eye on the weather forecasts to see if it rains more in Shropshire and can't see much of a difference so far. The temperature is usually a whole degree cooler though Mind you, the hot weather we've been having in the South has bought on some hot flushes so maybe cooler climes are the way forward

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 20,803 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Inspired
    I was inspired by the lovely EatingTheElephant to make banana pancakes for breakfast...not the healthy ones though These ones Although I did skip the bacon.

We had the leftover pasta sauce with some penne for lunch and supper was halloumi with fattoush salad and pitta bread. I got the recipe the old fashioned way from one of my vintage Hamlyn All Colour Cookbooks

The weather was a bit touch and go today but I chanced it and got a few loads of washing dry. Mr F is working overseas again next week so I thought I'd better make sure he's got clean pants to go

Another small stone lifted towards the house move - I provisionally booked the removals company. Forever the optimist My solicitor is out of the office until Thursday so I doubt there'll be anything more to report until then.

Does browsing the net for chalk painted furniture ideas count as progress. Probably not

If we move when we hope to, completion day is about a month away The time is going so quickly.

Happy Monday

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,874Posts Today

8,365Users online

Martin's Twitter