Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,570Posts
    • 21,137Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    The New Adventures of Fortune
    • 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    The New Adventures of Fortune 18th Feb 17 at 10:21 AM
    It is possible to move a mountain by carrying small stones

A new chapter.

We have spent a very happy 11 years in the Garden of England but are now looking to make a move. The winds are favourable and time is still on our side. I know it’s the right decision and I’m excited… and terrified.

It’s a fabulous opportunity to plan the next stage of our lives and realise our dreams. But I’m finding the size of the task daunting and know I am dragging my feet.

My diary has been invaluable in helping me to reach my goals in the past so I’m going to focus these new pages on making good decisions and progressing the move. It would be lovely to have some company on the journey and any advice, support or general cheerleading would be very much appreciated.

If I’m to move a mountain I’d better get on with carrying stones.

Fortune x

PS If you’d like to see my previous adventures you can find them here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 18-02-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Mortgage: 2.02% paid House Deposit Contribution: 84% Emergency Fund: 43%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 12
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 6th May 17, 11:34 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    A small stone
    Exchanged updates with our buyers last night and the good news is that the valuation on the house is fine So I was worrying about nothing They are having to provide accounting information to their lender as Mr Buyer is self-employed but they aren't expecting any difficulties.

Received a call from possible lodger family member last night. He wanted to confirm that our offer still stood as it's looking increasingly likely that he will join us. Happy to give a helping hand and it will give us a little extra regular income to OP.

Mr F left for a business trip this morning. He'll be away until Friday

I am lazing around... being lazy.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 6th May 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Great news that the valuation was all fine after all. Enjoy your weekend
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th May 17, 2:03 PM
    • 48,534 Posts
    • 178,660 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on valuation.
    Happy weekend.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th May 17, 9:45 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Great news that the valuation was all fine after all. Enjoy your weekend
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Good news on valuation.
    Happy weekend.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thank you bothl - it's another hurdle jumped. Plenty more to come though so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th May 17, 9:51 PM
    • 48,534 Posts
    • 178,660 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thank you bothl - it's another hurdle jumped. Plenty more to come though so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Will do

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th May 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Focus
    I was thinking about the new mortgage today and all the things I could do to pay it off early and then I thought 'What are you waiting for?' So, today I have:
    • saved about £30 from this week's grocery budget. Mr F is away on a business trip and I'm trying to lose a few pounds so less food was required
    • Tilly-tidied a few pounds to savings
    • listed 12 items on the Bay of E. Including some low value items that I wouldn't normally bother with. I figure, if enough of them sell it will be worth a trip to the P0$t 0ff1c£. The higher value items are breakable so I've made them collection only. That will mean there's a smaller market for them but they are good quality items so I'm hoping they still go. If not, they should raise a good amount for the charity shop.

Our Vendor's Estate Agent called for an update today so I chased our solicitors and we should be receiving some further information in the next couple of days

A good start to the week

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th May 17, 10:11 PM
    • 48,534 Posts
    • 178,660 Thanks
    beanielou
    A good start indeed

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 8th May 17, 10:25 PM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 8,379 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Goodgoing on the listings Fortune and I'm so pleased for you that the valuation was all okay x
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £2151.52: £2150 100%
    Last 3 months- Sep £206.32 Oct: £179.60 Nov: £12.58

Emergency fund £3945/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th May 17, 9:50 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    More Paperwork!
    The paperwork for the new property arrived yesterday. I've had a quick scan and I think there will be a few queries but nothing insurmountable.

Mr F comes home tonight so we've set aside the weekend to go through the information thoroughly and do some attic sorting.

We also need to look at his diary for possible completion dates. It's going to be tricky - he's away for most of June

Nothing moving on my Bay of E sales although there's the weekend still to go. I'll relist anything that doesn't sell but will look at reducing the prices.

I've taken advantage of Mr F's absence to try out the 5:2 diet. I've lost 6lbs so far Most of that will be water weight, but still 6lbs Saves on the grocery budget too I re-watched the Horizon programme on fasting and did some other research and I'm hoping to realise the other health benefits too.

Happy Friday folks

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th May 17, 7:49 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Attic Antics
    Mr F and I went through all the paperwork on the new property this morning. The legal stuff is all fine - some restrictive covenants but nothing unreasonable or out of the ordinary.

We have some queries on the property info:
    • there is no mention of leaving the annex fully furnished although it seems we will inherit a tumble dryer. I'm assuming it is vented through the external wall and can't be removed without leaving a hole
    • we need to check that Building Regs Completion Certificates are in place for both the house and the annex conversions. There is evidence of one Completion Certificate which we think relates to the house but it's not 100% clear
    • it seems the vendor doesn't have the house insured Not sure what the implications of this are for us as we will need to insure the property ourselves from the point of exchange. A friend suggested it might be difficult to get insurance on a house which is being insured for the first time but I've got some quotes on line today and there doesn't seem to be any problem. Something to ask the solicitor as they appear to think it's important.

We discovered that there are two footpaths quite close to the house but not on the property. One leads to a canal and one leads to a pub The more we find out about the house the more it lends itself to the lifestyle we're hoping to achieve.

We spent the afternoon in the attic Cleared out lots of rubbish and collected two piles of stuff - one for selling and one which is historic or family paperwork which we'll need to go through and sort. There's not much left up there for selling now.

Tomorrow will be a FB selling and Bay of E day for me and a paperwork incinerating day for Mr F.

Tonight's supper was Sausage Casserole leftover from yesterday which we had with rice and I shall be following it with a large glass of red Need it after the trauma of attic clearing

Hope you're having a great weekend guys.

Fortune x

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th May 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 12,897 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Wow things are moving quickly for you fortune happy days. Loving the footpaths, both sound like my sort why would people not insure, I just don't get it. Hope it doesn't affect you, but as you say, best to ask.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th May 17, 10:33 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,731 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    The queries all seem resolvable so all sounding good Fortune
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=4,525
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th May 17, 8:58 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Burn Baby Burn
    More attic clearance was achieved today. Mr F sorted through lots of ancient paperwork and incinerated anything not required. He also mowed the lawn and cut back some climbing plants.

I listed a few things for free on FB - a couple of printers and stuff that doesn't really sell. Someone is coming to pick up one of the printers tonight

We had chorizo and pepper soup for lunch - I told Mr F it was a gourmet meal I whipped up as a reward for all his hard work but it was really leftover sausage casserole sauce whizzed up in the blender

I did make supper from scratch though. An old favourite - Oven Baked Bacon & Leek Risotto.

Still lots of clearing to do but I've had a glass of red so that will have to wait until tomorrow

Fortune x

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 14th May 17, 10:13 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,739 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    All sounding brilliant FS, so so pleased for you
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • katep23
    • By katep23 14th May 17, 10:21 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 8,966 Thanks
    katep23
    We discovered that there are two footpaths quite close to the house but not on the property. One leads to a canal and one leads to a pub The more we find out about the house the more it lends itself to the lifestyle we're hoping to achieve.
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    *Delurks* These things are important to check out, I was sold on our house when I discovered the bus to the nearest pub in one direction (1.2 miles but along an A road with no footpaths) and nearest town in other runs until 11.30pm

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 15th May 17, 6:40 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    All sounding brilliant FS, so so pleased for you
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Still a way to go yet Brizzle but I'm celebrating every little milestone.

*Delurks* These things are important to check out, I was sold on our house when I discovered the bus to the nearest pub in one direction (1.2 miles but along an A road with no footpaths) and nearest town in other runs until 11.30pm
    Originally posted by katep23
    You have to get your priorities right Kate

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 15th May 17, 6:57 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    26 Small Stones!
    It's been a day of chasing things up so I have news to report:
    • our mortgage lender has everything they need from us, the valuation has been done so we should have a mortgage offer this week
    • our solicitor has received enquiries from our buyer's solicitor... 26 of them They are using Mr Buyer's boss's solicitor and I don't think he does conveyancing very often. Amongst other things, he has asked for a photograph of the house from the road because he can't find it on Google Street View and for copies of the planning permissions granted to previous owners. Some of the enquiries are about things we've already answered in the Property Information Form. I've been in contact with our buyer today to let them know. They haven't seen any of the information for the house yet
    • I've booked a call with our solicitor tomorrow to chase things up on our vendor's side.

Mr F's diary is filling up with overseas trips and we don't have many gaps left to squeeze in a move. The solicitors are saying it's too early to talk dates yet but we'll need to book some time in soon.

Leftover risotto for lunch and Bean & Chorizo Chilli with rice for supper. I doubled up on the tinned tomatoes so there would be enough to have with baked potatoes for lunch tomorrow

Must remember to complete the vehicle modification form my car insurers have asked me to complete tonight.

I might need to pop to the Post Office tomorrow if any of my Bay of E items sell Other than that I have housework to do as DS1 and girlfriend are visiting at the weekend for birthday celebrations - hers, not mine

Happy Monday all

Fortune x

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 16th May 17, 6:44 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Things are really moving along Fortune.

I love the sound of the footpaths you have found, it's all about the lifestyle!

Fingers crossed you get everything together for the solicitors easily. We thought some of the questions our solicitor sent to our sellers were a bit strange too!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 17th May 17, 5:13 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 6,451 Thanks
    themadvix
    It's all sounding really positive Fortune, so pleased for you!

Regarding the ebay collection only items, are they things that physically would go in the post if well packed (i.e. not too big?). I recently sold a china snowglobe on ebay and posted it, well wrapped, to Belgium! It got there okay! With lots of careful packing it could work.
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 22nd May 17, 7:50 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Things are really moving along Fortune.

I love the sound of the footpaths you have found, it's all about the lifestyle!

Fingers crossed you get everything together for the solicitors easily. We thought some of the questions our solicitor sent to our sellers were a bit strange too!
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Thanks Ellie - can't wait to get there and start exploring.

It's all sounding really positive Fortune, so pleased for you!

Regarding the ebay collection only items, are they things that physically would go in the post if well packed (i.e. not too big?). I recently sold a china snowglobe on ebay and posted it, well wrapped, to Belgium! It got there okay! With lots of careful packing it could work.
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Hi Madvix. They are large and very breakable things that would cost a fortune to post. It could be done but I've put it in the
    'too hard' box for now

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

8,066Users online

Martin's Twitter