Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,413Posts
    • 19,396Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    The New Adventures of Fortune
    • 18th Feb 17, 10:21 AM
    The New Adventures of Fortune 18th Feb 17 at 10:21 AM
    It is possible to move a mountain by carrying small stones

A new chapter.

We have spent a very happy 11 years in the Garden of England but are now looking to make a move. The winds are favourable and time is still on our side. I know it’s the right decision and I’m excited… and terrified.

It’s a fabulous opportunity to plan the next stage of our lives and realise our dreams. But I’m finding the size of the task daunting and know I am dragging my feet.

My diary has been invaluable in helping me to reach my goals in the past so I’m going to focus these new pages on making good decisions and progressing the move. It would be lovely to have some company on the journey and any advice, support or general cheerleading would be very much appreciated.

If I’m to move a mountain I’d better get on with carrying stones.

Fortune x

PS If you’d like to see my previous adventures you can find them here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 18-02-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Moving Costs: 100% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 64%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
Page 10
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Apr 17, 7:25 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Twiddling Thumbs
    There is nothing more I can do at the moment to further the house move.

I contacted Building Control yesterday to get a copy of the Completion Certificate for our building works. They won't do anything over the 'phone so I've had to email. Apparently it will take a few days for someone to get back to me.

The printer remains broken. It's provided by Mr F's company but he was too busy to sort it out yesterday. He's under strict instructions to do so today as I'm unable to print or copy any of the documents needed for the solicitors.

Was visited by the Removals Company yesterday who came out to have a look so they can give us a quote. I love them They are going to make this move so easy. They will pack, remove/replace light fittings, deal with the attic and the garage, drive vehicles up for us if required, clean the house after... and the list goes on. We'll have to pay for it all of course but it will be worth it for the stress reduction

Two Fleabay items have sold already and I'm intending to list more today.

Did lots of cleaning yesterday and have more to do today if we're not going to scare off our buyers tomorrow.

So lots to keep me busy even if I do feel I'm twiddling my thumbs.

Have a great day

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Apr 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Surprise progress
    I managed to get the printer working by cleaning the ink cartridge contacts so most of the move paperwork is now printed.

I think we have everything required to progress the purchase side so will run through things with Mr F later just to make sure.

On the sale side, we are missing one FENSA certificate for replacement windows so I've re-ordered that at a cost of £20 And, I heard back from Building Control. They say that they didn't issue a Completion Certificate for the building works at the time and will have to re-activate the application and undertake a Final Inspection before they can issue one now. It will cost us £100 I've made the payment so that we can keep things moving and will just have to keep my fingers crossed that all is ok.

Back to moving small stones although they feel like heavy ones.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Apr 17, 11:12 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Plans
    Our buyers came round tonight to "measure"... for a whole new kitchen They have lots of exciting plans for changes which I'm really pleased about. We've always thought this house had lots of potential but, with just the two of us here, it didn't make sense to realise it. Our buyers are planning to start a family soon so it makes sense for them to exploit all the space available. They are talking loft conversions too

I did feel a bit like I was standing in their house already rather than mine though I know that's a good thing because they are obviously committed to the purchase but it did feel strange.

I'd intended to get my removals company to do a final clean after the packing but it looks as though that won't be needed if building work is to commence straight away. Very happy to save the money

A relaxed day of ironing and Fleabaying tomorrow I think. No cleaning to do - the house is spotless!

Happy Hump Day all

Fortune x

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 13th Apr 17, 12:18 AM
    • 6,849 Posts
    • 32,932 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Sounding great, you sound so happy, wonderful to read!!
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    June '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [May 30%]
    Declutter 50 items before 30.06.17 139/50 ** LSDs Target 5 for June 05/05 **AFDs 13/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £110 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for June 03/05
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Apr 17, 7:26 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sounding great, you sound so happy, wonderful to read!!
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Thanks Brizzle. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster - up one minute, down the next. The lack of a Building Regs Certificate is worrying me. It's only the Final Inspection that's missing from the file but it's the sort of thing that can throw a spanner in the works of the sale. I'm also feeling a little unsettled by my buyers' visit yesterday. It's like I've been displaced. Expect I'm going to feel like that for quite a while so I'd better get used to it

Fortune x

• Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 13th Apr 17, 7:45 AM
    • 7,706 Posts
    • 86,040 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Morning Fortune, it's an off feeling when you sell isn't it. I know we had both mentally checked out once it was sold, weeks before we moved out. Sadly we had horrendous purchasers and are still suffering the consequences but I'm putting it down to the general stresses and strains of moving.

We took a video of the house once it was empty to prove the condition it was left in. I'm guessing you won't need that if they're renovating.

Good luck with the plans. It's invigorating having new areas to explore

Best wishes Tilly xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Apr 17, 9:42 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    All sounding good Fortune. I'm not surprised you have mixed feelings but all is well
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=8,800
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th Apr 17, 10:54 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Morning Fortune, it's an off feeling when you sell isn't it. I know we had both mentally checked out once it was sold, weeks before we moved out. Sadly we had horrendous purchasers and are still suffering the consequences but I'm putting it down to the general stresses and strains of moving.

We took a video of the house once it was empty to prove the condition it was left in. I'm guessing you won't need that if they're renovating.

Good luck with the plans. It's invigorating having new areas to explore

Best wishes Tilly xxx
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Hi Tilly - sounds like you had a difficult time. Brilliant idea about the video. Our buyers seem like a lovely, decent couple but people can turn into monsters in a stressful situation.

I am really looking forward to exploring a new area and finding some good pubs

All sounding good Fortune. I'm not surprised you have mixed feelings but all is well
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Feeling much more balanced today DIA. It's unlikely that any issues that come up will be entirely unknown in the history of house moves so there will be a solution. I also have a strategy and plan for the next steps and I always feel better having a plan

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th Apr 17, 11:02 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Step Back
    Planning to take a step back and relax this weekend.

Did the ironing yesterday so there's no housework to do except for a couple of loads of washing.

Listed a few items on FB and might see what else I can find in the attic today.

A new printer arrived from Mr F's work and he ordered the wrong one So I bought some ink for the old one on next day delivery and am hoping it will hold up long enough for us to get the legal paperwork sorted. That's the only must do job on the list for today.

I'm organising some social events for this weekend. I think we'd both benefit from getting out of the house for a bit and I'm hoping my FB and Fleabay sales will cover the cost.

Happy Easter all.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 15th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    It's so quiet
    Mr F has gone out for a long ride with his bike club today so I am home alone and enjoying the peace.

I've completed the purchase documentation for the new house and posted it off to the solicitor. The next step is to call our IFA to get the mortgage application proper started. I'll give it until mid-week and then start chasing for the missing certificates we need for our sale documentation.

One item sold on FB yesterday and the buyer picked up straight away - £10 into my purse I'm also up to about £30 in Fleabay sales so far Sadly, most of that is going towards paying for the London tickets we didn't end up using but there should be a little left over to fund our social events this weekend.

I'm going to fix myself some lunch now and cosy up to watch a film.

Hope you're all having a great Easter break

Fortune x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You do so well with selling things. Inspiring
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=8,800
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 16th Apr 17, 9:10 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    In one hand, out the other
    We have had a lovely day today. I have a book of circular pub walks so we tried one of those with some friends and had a super lunch after. An expensive treat for us though as these were the friends we owed ticket money to

On the other hand, I made £50 in Fleabay sales so add that to the £10 I made yesterday and it has softened the blow quite a bit

One of the outstanding certificates arrived in the post yesterday and our IFA rang to set up a date to progress the mortgage application.

All is well.

Particularly as chocolate has been consumed... and hot cross bun bread and butter pudding

Happy Easter

Fortune x

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 17th Apr 17, 8:48 AM
    • 6,849 Posts
    • 32,932 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Happy Easter Fortune...glad alls ticking along xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    June '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [May 30%]
    Declutter 50 items before 30.06.17 139/50 ** LSDs Target 5 for June 05/05 **AFDs 13/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £110 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for June 03/05
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 17th Apr 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Another social
    We spent the morning at a barbeque in a friend's woodland. They'd arranged clay pigeon shooting and a little off-road track so Mr F was in his element. There was also an Easter egg hunt, a tiny Cocker Spaniel puppy to cuddle and the wood anemones and bluebells to appreciate so I was happy too. Low cost as our contribution to the barbie was met from this week's grocery shop

Mr F has spent the rest of the day cleaning cars and I have been doing some work on the house move. I feel as though I have been procrastinating a bit about it so have committed to doing at least one thing a day which will move us forward. One small stone to carry a day is doable So today, I have written to our buyers to confirm the fixtures/fittings they want to buy, our removal company confirming their quote is acceptable and to a potential buyer for Mr F's motorbike. He has decided, with much reluctance, that it should go and the money be put into the moving fund. As he hasn't ridden it for years and it is quietly deteriorating in the garage I think this is a good decision.. if a little late

So that's three things I'm such an over-achiever

The heating is on. We've got down to just a couple of bars on the oil tank monitor so I've had to order some more and there is a 500 litre minimum Our buyers will get the benefit of anything we don't use so I won't be rationing the radiators in the meantime.

Mushroom Stroganoff is looking favourite for supper. Then an early night as Mr F is off to the office tomorrow so we have an early get up.

Feeling very relaxed now... and warm.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Rock and Roll
    I'm on a roll this morning Or should that be 'rock and roll' if I'm continuing with the carrying stones theme

I've completed and copied all the documentation for the sale of the house and it is enveloped and waiting for me to pop it in the post box later.

I've contacted our buyers to fess up about the missing Completion Certificate. I've had to declare it in the solicitor's info so they'll get to know about it at some point. Better to bring it up now I thought.

It seems we have a Sales Progressor Someone from our Estate Agent whose job it is to liaise between us and facilitate the process. Moving house is certainly easier now than when I last did it So I've updated him too.

I've chased Mr F to confirm dates for a meeting with our IFA to progress the mortgage. We had a very early start this morning and he was in a hurry to get out the door so I've sent him a text.

I'll chase Building Control for a visit date tomorrow once they've settled back into things after the break.

So there's nothing more I can do at the moment to progress the move further. Feeling very virtuous

I'm going to stop for lunch now and then I need to pack up my Fleabay sales and pop them down to the Post Office. One person out of five buyers has yet to pay which is annoying.

Must do the on-line grocery shop too or I'll be getting creative with the meal plan again

Isn't it nice to start the week on a Tuesday

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Apr 17, 8:45 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Or not...
    I have sacked the Sales Progressor

I received a reply to my update from her today. So a fast response. However, her email was so badly written it took three reads before I understood what she was trying to say. And, she had obviously not read or mis-read what I'd said as she was advising me to do something I had already done. It did not inspire me with confidence and, was so bad in fact, I felt she might be a risk to the process. So I called the Agents and the manager has said he will take on the role himself.

I called our buyers to warn them of the change and it seems they have been having problems with her too. It took a week for her to reply to their request for our solicitors details and, when they chased and she did reply, she didn't introduce herself to them or explain her role.

I've also noticed that, although her introductory letter to us was dated 6th April, we didn't receive it until this Saturday, the 15th.

Not good enough. Particularly when I'm paying a sizeable amount to the Agent for their services.

Other than getting my Alan Sugar on, I got everything done I'd planned to do today.

Supper is on the stove - Sausage & Bean Casserole with roasted new potatoes. Just need Mr F to get home from the gym now so I can service it up.

Oh, here he is.

Fortune the Fierce x

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th Apr 17, 9:09 PM
    • 3,535 Posts
    • 38,653 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Flipping, flopping heck, Fortune - that's the second incompetent from that company to nearly muck things up for you! I hope the Manager doesn't have to do everyone's role - there aren't enough hours in the day. And they need to review their recruitment practices if they have had a hand in interviewing/employing the junior admin assistant or the 'sales protractor'......

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Apr 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Flipping, flopping heck, Fortune - that's the second incompetent from that company to nearly muck things up for you! I hope the Manager doesn't have to do everyone's role - there aren't enough hours in the day. And they need to review their recruitment practices if they have had a hand in interviewing/employing the junior admin assistant or the 'sales protractor'......

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    They've been very good overall Greying and, when there has been a problem, they've put it right immediately. I get the impression they haven't had a say in the recruitment of the Sales Procrastinator

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Apr 17, 3:48 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    A few steps closer
    More progress made today:
    • Building Inspector is coming tomorrow morning to complete the final inspection. He confirmed that he has information on three previous visits to us and will be coming primarily to check that the roof has been finished safely. It has, so I'm feeling confident that we'll have a Completion Certificate soon
    • confirmed a meeting on Monday with the IFA to progress the mortgage
    • spoke with our vendor about possible completion timescales

It's started to feel very real now and I'm allowing myself to get excited. The property we are buying was featured on the telly a few years ago and I have found the clip on the internet. I may have watched it a few times... or a hundred

Lots of 'phone calls today which have interrupted my chores so the ironing may have to wait until tomorrow. A little on-line shopping has been done. A few toiletries needed replacing but I managed to offset the majority of the cost with some vouchers

Going to do a little more decluttering now.

Exciting times

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 20th Apr 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 19,396 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hooray!
    Building Inspector has been and has agreed to give us a Completion Certificate - Yay! So the last piece of paperwork will be with us soon.

I read back through my diary from the start this morning just to see how far we've come. Realised that the first viewing that was booked was our purchasers. They weren't the first to view but the first to get a date in the diary

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,273Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin