Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 18th Feb 17, 12:56 AM
    • 2,727Posts
    • 1,054Thanks
    trinidadone
    0 WOW
    Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets?
    • 18th Feb 17, 12:56 AM
    0 WOW
    Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets? 18th Feb 17 at 12:56 AM
    Last month, while shopping in Sanisburys, I notice all the basic soups were reduce to 10p. I bought a few cans, and notice they are no longer on the shelves.

When I went into Tesco's to purchase fairy liquid, I notice there was no value brand fairy liquid on the shelves.

Tesco's value toothpaste was reduced from 25p to 23p today, and a yellow sticker underneath it, which read "clearance price".

The one liter value foam soap was reduced from 50p to 45p, again with a yellow sticker saying "clearance price". None of these products are damage, so I can only assume the supermarkets are discontinuing some of there value/basic products linr products - Thoughts please???
    Last edited by trinidadone; 18-02-2017 at 9:38 AM.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 3
    • saverbynature
    • By saverbynature 7th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    saverbynature
    Since Christmas we have noticed a few things that we normally buy from Lidl are rarely or never available any more .
    Their raisin wheats - vanished without trace !
    Diet version of Fanta - like gold dust
    Cola max - vanished for the last 2 weeks
    Their tinned tuna in brine - vanished for the last 2-3 weeks

All things that we've bought week in week out since we started shopping there a couple of years ago . Anyone else missing stuff or is it just my store ?
    Originally posted by nwc389
    I've also found items I've been buying regularly from Lidl for the last couple of years have disappeared in the last few months. They used to do bottles of white wine vinegar which was displayed in a mixed box of vinegars that also included Balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar. Now they're just doing the Balsamic.

I think the Lidl tuna is being repackaged in a smaller size tin with less contents for the same price!. I normally buy the chunks in spring water, which I've had trouble getting for the last few weeks too. On Saturday they had plenty of tuna chunks in brine, and amongst them I found just one tin of tuna in spring water. When I got home and put it in the cupboard I noticed the tin is smaller than the last one I bought. When I checked the label the net weight has gone from 185g to 160g and the drained weight from 130g to 112g!

As well as products disappearing I've noticed a lot of things have been increasing in price over the last few months too especially their fish.
    • nwc389
    • By nwc389 7th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    nwc389
    I've also found items I've been buying regularly from Lidl for the last couple of years have disappeared in the last few months. They used to do bottles of white wine vinegar which was displayed in a mixed box of vinegars that also included Balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar. Now they're just doing the Balsamic.

I think the Lidl tuna is being repackaged in a smaller size tin with less contents for the same price!. I normally buy the chunks in spring water, which I've had trouble getting for the last few weeks too. On Saturday they had plenty of tuna chunks in brine, and amongst them I found just one tin of tuna in spring water. When I got home and put it in the cupboard I noticed the tin is smaller than the last one I bought. When I checked the label the net weight has gone from 185g to 160g and the drained weight from 130g to 112g!

As well as products disappearing I've noticed a lot of things have been increasing in price over the last few months too especially their fish.
    Originally posted by saverbynature
    We've just had our old shop replaced with a newer larger one and since it opened not one week has gone by without something being unavailable. The raisin wheats is the worst as they were my sons favourite and none of the other brands apparently taste as nice !
    • extrafisher
    • By extrafisher 9th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    extrafisher
    i see asda/tesco are selling branded bread for 50p. they used to all do value bread at 50p but are now reducing it, maybe to stop doing it.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 29,507 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    DCFC79
    We've just had our old shop replaced with a newer larger one and since it opened not one week has gone by without something being unavailable. The raisin wheats is the worst as they were my sons favourite and none of the other brands apparently taste as nice !
    Originally posted by nwc389
    They are revamping the stores to give them a better look.

Maybe an issue in keeping up with demand, some lines given extra shelf space. I noticed the same the other day some items were empty. When in next ask 1 of the staff about the raisin wheats.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    • 9,772 Posts
    • 23,794 Thanks
    suki1964
    My lidl has been having supply problems for months, which then escalates into most items in short supply as when you see them, you stock up

Cat food and cat litter, I something have to do a 50 mile round trip. Some weeks there is no produce, the next no provisions, the following no frozen

For months they sold the cein razor blades, the Mach 3 equivalent , but you couldn't get the razor. Now it's the other way about lol

Shopping in my lidl can be challenging to say the least
    • Lilium
    • By Lilium 9th Mar 17, 10:46 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    Lilium
    I've noticed value sponge scourers, value washing up gloves and value food bags have all gone. I tweeted them about this earlier. They replied over a few tweets and said...

"Hi there, I'm sorry we no longer stock some of these items. I can certainly understand how disappointing this must be. We've begun a review of our ranges to make shopping easier & to ensure we have the right levels of products available. Unfortunately this does mean we won't be stocking some products our customers have bought in the past."

Make shopping easier? Ha! Not easier when you make it more expensive.

• jadziad
    • By jadziad 10th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    jadziad
    I (used to) get own-brand 25p toothpaste from either Morrisons or Tesco, because Lidl's seeed to be a bit watery. Both T and M have now stopped selling them. Tesco's cheapest is £1 now, and Morrisons seems to be 75p for one aimed at kids. The hunt is now on again for the cheapest [by volume]. Unexpectedly, possibly Sainsbury's might have the edge - 35p.

Edit later: Found some for 25p at a different Morrisons store and bought a rucksack full. Score!
    Last edited by jadziad; 17-03-2017 at 4:04 PM.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 10th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 6,780 Posts
    • 12,456 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    With regarding Asda's bran flakes. I noticed the normal range one is 86p, more/less the same price as the SP one as found an old receipt in the bottom of my shopping bag of bags.
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 10th Mar 17, 1:29 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    trinidadone
    I (used to) get own-brand 25p toothpaste from either Morrisons or Tesco, because Lidl's seeed to be a bit watery. Both T and M have now stopped selling them. Tesco's cheapest is £1 now, and Morrisons seems to be 75p for one aimed at kids. The hunt is now on again for the cheapest [by volume]. Unexpectedly, possibly Sainsbury's might have the edge - 35p.
    Originally posted by jadziad
    I manage to get some morrisons 25p toothpaste today, try another branch if you can
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 11th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    trinidadone
    with value toothpaste disappearing, I decided to purchase all of the remaining toothpaste at the peckham store in = South London. There is none there now
    • AnnieO1234
    • By AnnieO1234 14th Mar 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 2,520 Thanks
    AnnieO1234
    Towards the end of last year Tesco announced they had conducted experiments in some stores of having an aisle as a store within a store with all common products. The idea sprouted from the way the discounters are small with little or no choice and people liking that way of shopping rather than meandering round a store for an hour plus.

Anyway the results of their experiment were, according to their press release, a move to merge the value and own brand (not premium) into one product line, reducing choice, production costs and the price of the own brand product. They claimed this would be better for the majority of their customers.

Tesco are also driving a push for more eco and animal friendly products in an attempt to bring people backroom the discounters.
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 14th Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    trinidadone
    OK, interesting, |I guess with Mr T leading on this, most of the other supermarkets are now following suit. Naturally, as a moneysaver shopper myself, I would rather troll thew aisles of value brands at value prices, than the merger of product quality. I quite like the products, so me I have stocked up on Mr T value bath foam, which seems to of ended in one store, but continued in another, and Mr M value toothpaste.

RIP to the basic / value brands!!
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 12th May 17, 9:43 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 8,348 Thanks
    Florence J
    I have noticed this, T3sco's used to do a 500ml everyday hand wash for 50p, no longer exists. Me bulk ordering 10 of them on an online shop once (as I feared they would soon disappear!) and T3sco's not having enough in stock and therefore having to substitute them with the next brand up may have had something to do with that.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1173.32 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4567.40
    • colinsway
    • By colinsway 14th May 17, 9:03 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    colinsway
    Tesco Price Gouge.
    Tesco - Washing Up liquid!
    Gone is "Everyday Value" at 33p.(500ml)
    Now cheapest is "Tesco" own brand at .50p (450ml)

So - the price is UP by 50%,
    And - volume is DOWN 10%.
    Nice one Tesco!
    (Makes Aldi's award winner even better value!)
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th May 17, 9:18 AM
    • 16,604 Posts
    • 10,819 Thanks
    molerat
    I have noticed a lot of Everyday Value items disappearing. 2 pack rubber gloves and the blue/white cleaning cloths have gone. Asda still do them both though.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 14th May 17, 9:21 AM
    • 18,262 Posts
    • 193,869 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    I tend to shop in Aldi or Lidl these days, much cheaper.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 15th May 17, 10:57 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 6,455 Thanks
    t14cy t
    morrisons cheapest lemonade is now 33p, no loner stocking the 17p version, so will go to tescos to get their value one at 17p instead!
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 20th May 17, 3:25 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 18,862 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    I have noticed a lot of Everyday Value items disappearing. 2 pack rubber gloves and the blue/white cleaning cloths have gone. Asda still do them both though.
    Originally posted by molerat
    I've not been able to get the Value Toilet Cleaner/duck from Tesco for a few weeks. I thought it was just out of stock, but now I've seen this thread I'm beginning to wonder...

Also value food/freezer bags not in stock but this had happened before so hoping they'll come back.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,073Posts Today

8,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin