Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • black_wings
    • By black_wings 17th Feb 17, 9:44 AM
    • 62Posts
    • 19Thanks
    black_wings
    0 WOW
    Thomson all-inclusive 'luxury' disaster holiday - can we do anything?
    • 17th Feb 17, 9:44 AM
    0 WOW
    Thomson all-inclusive 'luxury' disaster holiday - can we do anything? 17th Feb 17 at 9:44 AM
    Hello folks,
    Just after a bit of advice...
    In May 2016 we went on an all-inclusive with Thomson to Rivera Maya in Cancun. Paid approx. 3000 14 nights for 2 people. The description of the hotel was/is described on their website as 'luxury', amongst many other misleading claims. Now I understand with these package holidays you must always take it with a pinch of salt but when paying 3k for the holiday we were expecting something of a decent standard.

I will try to keep things brief but in short summary:
    -Suite had an in-room Jacuzzi which was dirty and rusted - how on earth anyone could experience a romance atmosphere or want to use it?
    -Generally the room was just filthy.
    -Entire room was covered in black mould, on curtains, walls etc. The room smelt very badly of damp. The wardrobe was smelling really badly of damp meaning that we couldn't unpack our clothes from our suitcases for the whole 2 weeks.
    -We noticed towards the end of the holiday I had one pair of shoes and a backpack which was covered in mould spores. They had never got wet and were kept in the middle of the room so the growth was not caused by something which I had done. I had to throw the shoes out as they were ruined.
    -On arriving home all our clothes and suitcases smelt so bad and it's taken forever to get rid of the smell.

I raised all the issues with the onsite Thomson staff during the holiday. All I got from them in response was 'there's no point moving you to another room because all the rooms are the same' and 'write a letter when you get back to UK to complain'. We wrote to Thomson as suggested when we arrived back in the UK and only received an email back from them saying 'Mexico is a humid country and we advise that you should have kept the doors and windows closed during your stay in the hotel'. How can the word 'luxury' be used alongside staying in a room full of mould spores that ruin your clothes.
    I won't bother touching the subject of the 'gourmet dining' - which involved nothing of the sort.

Is there anything we can do about this? Anyone have any luck in the past reaching a solution with Thomson?
    As I say, I appreciate you get what you pay for with these all inclusive holidays but 3k is a substantial amount of money and the advertising is extremely misleading. We have photographs of the state of the room, ruined clothes etc.

Thanks
Page 2
    • black_wings
    • By black_wings 20th Feb 17, 8:24 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    black_wings
    It was Azul Sensatori Resort
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 20th Feb 17, 8:44 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    My original post states that I did write to Thomas as soon as I got back to the UK. I also received a response from them which basically amounted to 'Mexico is a humid country'.
    So my question was can I hope to achieve anything further in way of compensation because the holiday is not as described. It's described as 'luxury'. But a room full of mould surely doesn't qualify.
    Originally posted by black_wings
    No you can't, not really.
    You stayed in the same place for 2 weeks. You used the facilities and ate the food. So you have to pay for it.

If you felt it wasn't up to standard, you should have refused to stay there, or at least in that room, and demanded a response on site with a move elsewhere.

People who stay put for the whole of their holidays, then expect compensation when they get home are very often disappointed.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 20th Feb 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Beenie
    I know this will sound unsympathetic, but 3000 for a 2-week holiday across the Atlantic is dirt cheap.

A true luxury hotel is upwards of 200+ per day by itself, then there is the food and drink to pay for, and lastly the airfare (probably a good chunk of the 3000). When you add it all up, it doesn't leave much scope for 'luxury' accommodation. I know there shouldn't be mould in a hotel room, but you probably got what you paid for.
    • black_wings
    • By black_wings 20th Feb 17, 3:19 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    black_wings
    I know this will sound unsympathetic, but 3000 for a 2-week holiday across the Atlantic is dirt cheap.

A true luxury hotel is upwards of 200+ per day by itself, then there is the food and drink to pay for, and lastly the airfare (probably a good chunk of the 3000). When you add it all up, it doesn't leave much scope for 'luxury' accommodation. I know there shouldn't be mould in a hotel room, but you probably got what you paid for.
    Originally posted by Beenie
    Nope doesn't sound unsympathetic I totally get that Thomson/Thomas cook type agents definition of 5 star is nothing of the sort. I just wouldn't expect mould no matter what price was paid - considering holidays are meant to be a treat/experience something different from home...
    well I guess I did - because I don't have mould in my own home!
    • jhe
    • By jhe 20th Feb 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    jhe
    Is it the Azul Beach Resort ?
    that is the only one I can find in Riviera Maya on Tripadvisor
    • black_wings
    • By black_wings 20th Feb 17, 6:07 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    black_wings
    Is it the Azul Beach Resort ?
    that is the only one I can find in Riviera Maya on Tripadvisor
    Originally posted by jhe
    Ah, it seems they changed the name recently since we travelled, as it didn't have the name beach in it before. Now there are 2 Azul beach hotels in Mexico. This is the one we stayed in: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g240327-d1176806-Reviews-Azul_Beach_Resort_Sensatori_Mexico-Puerto_Morelos_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Can't fault the staff. They were nice people. It was just a crappy run down hotel. Words can't describe how misleading the pictures are. Though that's the case with most package holidays. Suppose I have learnt a valuable lesson; not to spend big on package holidays
    • jhe
    • By jhe 20th Feb 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    jhe
    Thought it must have been that one.
    If u click on the reviews and click on terrible and poor there are some pretty poor reviews .
    • black_wings
    • By black_wings 20th Feb 17, 6:36 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    black_wings
    There sure are! Though there are bad reviews of every hotel you can think of. I tend to take the reviews with a pinch of salt since a lot of people seem to complain about anything and everything. 'im giving this hotel 1 star cause there werent enough towels' and so on...its just silly
    Ive never had a hotel complaint before really
    • jhe
    • By jhe 20th Feb 17, 6:39 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    jhe
    No you can't, not really.
    You stayed in the same place for 2 weeks. You used the facilities and ate the food. So you have to pay for it.

If you felt it wasn't up to standard, you should have refused to stay there, or at least in that room, and demanded a response on site with a move elsewhere.

People who stay put for the whole of their holidays, then expect compensation when they get home are very often disappointed.
    Originally posted by Pop Up Pirate
    I do not agree with this.
    The hotel should be as advertised, Thomson advertise Sensatori as their luxury hotels, reading some reviews for this hotel it falls short.
    You are pretty much in the hands of the rep when abroad and Thomson on the end of a phone line maybe.
    I had an unfortunate holiday 30 year ago. I did get a partial refund
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 13th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 8,699 Posts
    • 15,372 Thanks
    Pennywise
    Thomson are notorious for it. I went on a "luxury" holiday with them to Kenya about 20 years ago. Hotel was advertised as 5*. Pictures showed crystal clear pools, lovely well furnished rooms, etc.

In reality, it was a hell hole. The rooms were awful, very dated, thread bare carpets with holes, stains on the beds, torn wallpaper. Not to mention, day after day with intermittent water (not just hot, no cold either!). One pool was actually green - you couldn't see the bottom! Regular power cuts.

After a couple of days unable to shower, we barricaded ourselves into a toilet by the pool which had lovely hot plentiful running water so we could have a shower.

Complaints to the Thomson rep and reception were just brushed aside with glib comments such as "it's a hot country", "the whole area has power cuts", "there was a mains water burst on the main road". Whatever we said, they just made up some excuse.

We met a couple who were lucky to be staying in the one block that was updated (where they took the photos for the brochure). They'd also booked with Thomson. They said they'd had no problems at all with the power nor water and told us their room was lovely. After hearing our plight, they insisted we shower in their room and gave us their key. Oh my, what a difference - it really was luxury, down to fluffy towels, and, yes, unlimited powerful hot water.

So, in reality, there were no power or water shortages in the area at all. The "done up" block was fine. It was the antiquated older blocks that had plumbing and electrical problems.

Once home, I complained and received a derisory offer, but I persisted and actually went through with a court claim against them. Once they had received the court summons, they upp-ed their compensation offer to half the price of the holiday. Finally, a result, but it doesn't really compensate for a ruined holiday.

I've never used Thomson since and won't!
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 13th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Ultimately, this hotel was not as described. You should reasonably have been able to rely on the brochure description. Go through the process with Thompson, but don't let it go at that, go to what used to be the smalls claim court process and they will probably start to take you seriously at that point. You have the evidence, use it, and add in an amount for "loss of enjoyment" over and above any reimbursement.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 13th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Thomson are notorious for it
    and your proof for that statement is?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

432Posts Today

4,440Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin