Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slaterphilip
    • By Slaterphilip 16th Feb 17, 8:32 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Slaterphilip
    Specified adult childcare credits
    • 16th Feb 17, 8:32 PM
    Specified adult childcare credits 16th Feb 17 at 8:32 PM
    As a grandparent I am interested in seeing if I can claim national insurance credits for looking after my grand daughters. I am 60 years old. I have not got my full national insurance contributions and have often thought about getting a job, but, because I look after my daughters children, whilst she works shift, I find I can't get a job to fit in easily around my daughters work hours.
    I am however afraid that if I claim national insurance credits I will end up taking childcare allowance money from my daughter. Can anyone advise please.
Page 1
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 16th Feb 17, 8:46 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 5,129 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 16th Feb 17, 8:46 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 8:46 PM
    That isn't the case. Tax credits are paid based on the claimant's income. NI credits are completely seperate.

Link here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/looking-after-the-grandchildren-make-sure-it-counts-towards-your-state-pension
    • Slaterphilip
    • By Slaterphilip 16th Feb 17, 9:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Slaterphilip
    • 16th Feb 17, 9:39 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 9:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply but I'm still confused the web page you advise states:-

"Working parents can give up the Child Benefit credits they receive and donate them to their child’s grandparents or other adult family members for the previous tax year. Grandparents and parents must apply for the credits to be transferred."
    • Ames
    • By Ames 16th Feb 17, 10:12 PM
    • 16,261 Posts
    • 28,401 Thanks
    Ames
    • 16th Feb 17, 10:12 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 10:12 PM
    Child benefit credits means national insurance credits, not tax credits money.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 16th Feb 17, 10:44 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 5,129 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 16th Feb 17, 10:44 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 10:44 PM
    Thanks for the reply but I'm still confused the web page you advise states:-

"Working parents can give up the Child Benefit credits they receive and donate them to their child’s grandparents or other adult family members for the previous tax year. Grandparents and parents must apply for the credits to be transferred."
    Originally posted by Slaterphilip
    Your NI credits for looking after your grandchild have absolutely nothing to do with tax credits. Tax credits are based on the parent's incomes, and you claiming NI credits does not affect this in any way, shape or form as they are completely separate.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 17th Feb 17, 7:02 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 2,851 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 17th Feb 17, 7:02 AM
    • 17th Feb 17, 7:02 AM
    When you claim child benefit you'd get NI credits. Instead they would be transferring the NI credits to you. It doesn't mention tax credits or childcare.
    • Slaterphilip
    • By Slaterphilip 17th Feb 17, 10:20 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Slaterphilip
    • 17th Feb 17, 10:20 AM
    • 17th Feb 17, 10:20 AM
    Thanks for the replies now I'm understanding I think! Basically my daughter is working and is unlikely to stop working so she will build up her national insurance credits based upon her employment. She also gets national insurance credits for claiming child benefit. So when she reaches retirement age she will have more than enough credits to claim state pension, (Always supposing we have state pension by then). All I am doing is taking those credits from her and putting them in my national insurance credit pot. Is my thinking correct, sorry if I don't use the correct terms I find this sort of thing similar to walking through treacle!
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th Feb 17, 10:28 AM
    • 10,653 Posts
    • 12,543 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 17th Feb 17, 10:28 AM
    • 17th Feb 17, 10:28 AM
    Have a read of this article. It is user friendly and tells you how to transfer.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2017/01/grandparents-who-help-with-childcare-at-risk-of-missing-out-on-full-state-pension---act-now-to-protect-it
    • mrnkar
    • By mrnkar 17th Feb 17, 12:47 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    mrnkar
    • 17th Feb 17, 12:47 PM
    • 17th Feb 17, 12:47 PM
    Hi, I applied for this & posted my application my on 20th January 2017 but haven't heard back yet. Not even a letter confirming receipt of it. Is it too soon to contact them regarding this? Thank you Karen
    • dprice1164
    • By dprice1164 10th Apr 17, 2:23 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dprice1164
    Hi, I applied for this & posted my application my on 20th January 2017 but haven't heard back yet. Not even a letter confirming receipt of it. Is it too soon to contact them regarding this? Thank you Karen
    Originally posted by mrnkar
    I submitted a form in early February and still haven't received a reply.
    You can gain access to your personal NI and income tax details online. This will also confirm their receipt of your claim and progress.
    Alternatively, give them a telephone call.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 10th Apr 17, 2:32 PM
    • 28,225 Posts
    • 71,800 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Basically my daughter is working and is unlikely to stop working so she will build up her national insurance credits based upon her employment.

She also gets national insurance credits for claiming child benefit. So when she reaches retirement age she will have more than enough credits to claim state pension
    Originally posted by Slaterphilip
    You can't get credited twice for the same year.

For any tax year that she 'earns' NI through work, the CB credits will not apply so she won't be be losing anything if you apply for them.
    • Emelle
    • By Emelle 9th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emelle
    Impossible
    I have been trying since March to get national insurance credits as I have been retired and looking after grandchildren for three years. I have received a third letter this morning saying that I have not got all information on the form. This isn't easy when it is not clear exactly what information is required. For example: one form was returned because my daughter hadn't signed the relevant page which was difficult to do as that page wasn't on the form at the time. Another letter said that her husband was the child benefit claimant so I was requested to send his details. This morning's letter tells me that the both need to sign the form. I really feel that HMRC are doing their best to prevent me from claiming. I am interested to hear if anybody else experiencing these problems.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 17,011 Posts
    • 11,187 Thanks
    molerat
    No problems here, straightforward and simple, never had any queries. The child benefit receiver's signature has always been on the form for at least the past 3 years. Maybe the child's parents have switched who gets the child benefit and that is causing the problem. Just about to submit the 6th (and final) year now.
    Last edited by molerat; 09-09-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 9th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 2,851 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    I doubt they are preventing you from claiming but they do need the forms to be completed correctly. The gov site and the form does say it needs to be the child benefit recipients details so you should have given her husbands details at the start.

I wasn't aware both parents are required to sign it though, it's usually the grandparent claiming and the child benefit recipient.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    sheramber
    Does her husband need the NI credits? It seems odd to transfer them to him if he doesn't need them.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Sep 17, 5:51 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    sheramber
    I have been trying since March to get national insurance credits as I have been retired and looking after grandchildren for three years. I have received a third letter this morning saying that I have not got all information on the form. This isn't easy when it is not clear exactly what information is required. For example: one form was returned because my daughter hadn't signed the relevant page which was difficult to do as that page wasn't on the form at the time. Another letter said that her husband was the child benefit claimant so I was requested to send his details. This morning's letter tells me that the both need to sign the form. I really feel that HMRC are doing their best to prevent me from claiming. I am interested to hear if anybody else experiencing these problems.
    Originally posted by Emelle
    Are you under state pension age? You can only claim if you are.
    • Emelle
    • By Emelle 9th Sep 17, 6:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emelle
    I have another 3 years before I get my state pension so that is not the problem. I think the issue is that although son in law is in receipt of child benefit, it goes in to my daughters account. Will re do form and try again. Then it all starts again because my grandaughter is at school but I am now looking after my son's little boy.
    • esmy
    • By esmy 9th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 2,262 Thanks
    esmy
    I am hoping to claim this for the last tax year (2016-7) in October. Does anyone know if the claim needs to be for the full year as I didn't start caring for my granddaughter until June 2016.

Thanks for any advice
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 17,011 Posts
    • 11,187 Thanks
    molerat
    I am hoping to claim this for the last tax year (2016-7) in October. Does anyone know if the claim needs to be for the full year as I didn't start caring for my granddaughter until June 2016.

Thanks for any advice
    Originally posted by esmy
    You can claim for as little as one (or part of which gives you a) week.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,700Posts Today

6,598Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin