Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dayglo
    • By Dayglo 16th Feb 17, 3:20 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Dayglo
    PCN Britannia Parking
    • 16th Feb 17, 3:20 PM
    PCN Britannia Parking 16th Feb 17 at 3:20 PM
    Hi All,
    I paid to park in a private car park for 2 hours but returned 2 hrs 20mins and 9 secs later and inevitably received the dreaded letter informing me that I should pay 100 reduced to 60 if i'm a good boy and pay within 14 days.

The letters appear to follow the rules described in these threads, making them valid. The 'Offence' was on 30/12/2016, first letter received 11th Jan 2017 explaining that I should notify them who was driving (I am the registered keeper). I haven't told them who was driving. Final reminder received 28th Jan 2017 explaining that the charge is now 100. I subsequently emailed stating I want to appeal as I wasn't the driver. They emailed back within 5 minutes and said my appeal had failed and that I had a further 14 days to pay 60. I therefore have until 22nd Feb to pay 60. They also provided POPLA details along with a code. The first letter did state that if I appealed and it was unsuccessful, that they would respond to me in writing. They sent an email with all the relevant info on it, but no letter, does that matter?

The only thing I can see that may help is that they may not have complied with POFA Schedule 4 section 9 2(c). I wasn't sure whether it meant the 100 they are demanding or the original parking charge and how it was deficient. They haven't said what charges are due, just 'failed to make a valid payment'. Do they have to state it in pounds and pence? I wasn't sure.
    If I could work out how to upload documents I would do that so that an expert could scrutinise it.

Is there any way out of this? There are lots of very clear signs in the car park, we just stayed a bit longer than we expected at the restaurant and the parking payment didn't even cross my mind at the time.

Your help and advice would be much appreciated. I don't want to pay this thieving exorbitant charge if possible.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Feb 17, 3:25 PM
    • 31,272 Posts
    • 15,240 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Feb 17, 3:25 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 3:25 PM
    Have you used your POPLA appeal code?

If not then go to the newbies faq thread near the top of the forum for advice and "near templates" to use in a POPLA appeal.

Put it up here for comment before sending it in
    • Dayglo
    • By Dayglo 16th Feb 17, 4:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dayglo
    • 16th Feb 17, 4:00 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 4:00 PM
    I have a POPLA code but have not used it yet. Once I use it, I lose the right to pay the reduced amount and I was hoping to avoid that with advice from experts. If there's no way out, I might as well pay the reduced amount
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Feb 17, 6:46 PM
    • 45,902 Posts
    • 58,907 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Feb 17, 6:46 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 6:46 PM
    I have a POPLA code but have not used it yet. Once I use it, I lose the right to pay the reduced amount and I was hoping to avoid that with advice from experts. If there's no way out, I might as well pay the reduced amount.
    Originally posted by Dayglo
    Ha! We've NEVER lost a Britannia POPLA appeal - I will eat my hat if you lose!

In fact I parked in an apparently 'Britannia PCN-issuing' car park yesterday which has NO SIGNAGE AT ALL from Britannia and I was actively hoping for a 'PCN' because they are sooo easy to see off and I was toying with waiting for a Notice to Keeper in the post, then suing them for 3 figure compensation for accessing my data. Sadly there was no love letter on my windscreen, never mind. the MSE poster called TrevorWhitehousesCat has also posted on Britannia threads to point out they appear to be going down the pan and don't seem to be ICO registered at all, according to his research.

Honestly, the fact you haven't said who was driving will win this easily and Britannia will very likely throw in the towel when they see a forum POPLA appeal from a keeper saying you've sussed that they can't hold you liable because they don't use POFA wording in their NTK.

The only thing I can see that may help is that they may not have complied with POFA Schedule 4 section 9 2(c). I wasn't sure whether it meant the 100 they are demanding or the original parking charge and how it was deficient. They haven't said what charges are due, just 'failed to make a valid payment'.
    Look at 9(2)f. No warning of keeper liability = no keeper liability. It is that easy. Here you go, a POPLA appeal to adapt and use, and what happened on that thread (a quiet flouncing off into the distance by Britannia, tail between legs, exit stage left) will happen in your case too:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71931587#post71931587

This will be cancelled by March!
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 16-02-2017 at 6:51 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 16th Feb 17, 7:00 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 16th Feb 17, 7:00 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 7:00 PM
    UPDATE for CM

the data shown by the BMPA was incorrect , (corrected today) it was pointing to carpark 2015 , (links to brittania) , but not to brittania parking , who are both BPA and ICO

as the other thread was a resident if the USA , there is/was no point in relaying this info on

PS: the carpark 2015 story is quitec good , locate a copy of the administrators report (BMPA) , someone does not want it closed down
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Dayglo
    • By Dayglo 7th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dayglo
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    Thanks
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Due to unforeseen circumstances I have been out of action for a while and just picked this up again. I've just submitted the POPLA appeal online but am concerned that it is too late. Britannia said I had 28 days to appeal but I think it might be 30 days since I received that notice. Does that really matter?
    • Dayglo
    • By Dayglo 17th Mar 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dayglo
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:06 PM
    Popla appeal
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:06 PM
    I submitted my appeal after the 28 day limit but still won! Just got an email saying that Britannia do not wish to contast hahahaha. The appeal was pretty sparse as well, I just stated that the paperwork didn't comply with pofa but didn't upload any documents etc. So, I guess you're right and they are a walk over. I've been so busy recently that almost paid it so it went away, glad I didn't now as I hate the thought of lining those slimy leeches pockets. Thanks for the advice
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 45,902 Posts
    • 58,907 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    Good stuff! Well done, you never pay Britannia!

If we'd seen your previous post we would have confirmed that if the POPLA code was still working (and it does, for 30+ days) your appeal was 'in time'!
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

2,068Users online

Martin's Twitter