Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sean_LDN
    • By Sean_LDN 15th Feb 17, 5:27 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sean_LDN
    Equifax - address confusion affecting credit score
    • 15th Feb 17, 5:27 PM
    Equifax - address confusion affecting credit score 15th Feb 17 at 5:27 PM
    Helol,
    Has anyone managed to resolve address problems with Equifax? It seems a few people have had these from searching online.

The problem is essentially that I live in a flat that doesn't appear on the Royal Mail's address system, but does on the electoral roll. All my bank accounts have the address as 8 Acacia Road - because they will only accept the Royal Mail system's addresses. The Electoral Roll has the house number and flat number running together as in 8C Acacia Road.

Because of this, I've found I have a terrible credit score on Equifax. It appears I have no credit history, no accounts, no credit cards. I registered with Credit Compass and it instantly showed all my accounts, so this problem seems to be specific to Equifax. I've tried calling and they are refusing to offer any help.

Anyone managed to resolve this? I'm about to apply for my first mortgage and worried it will scupper my chances.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Feb 17, 5:58 PM
    • 13,187 Posts
    • 13,501 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Feb 17, 5:58 PM
    • 15th Feb 17, 5:58 PM
    Forget your score.

Check Experian and Call Credit.

Do you lenders actually report to Equifax? Or are you just assuming they do?
    • Sean_LDN
    • By Sean_LDN 15th Feb 17, 8:59 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sean_LDN
    • 15th Feb 17, 8:59 PM
    • 15th Feb 17, 8:59 PM
    I'm assuming they might. Is there a way to find out? My credit call score comes up as excellent.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Feb 17, 9:05 PM
    • 13,187 Posts
    • 13,501 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Feb 17, 9:05 PM
    • 15th Feb 17, 9:05 PM
    Again, you can ignore that score.

Are all accounts appearing on your Call Credit and Experian files? Or are there differences?

Do anything appear on Equifax?
    • Sean_LDN
    • By Sean_LDN 15th Feb 17, 9:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sean_LDN
    • 15th Feb 17, 9:47 PM
    • 15th Feb 17, 9:47 PM
    I haven't had my Experian one back yet. They are verifying my details. Absolutely nothing on Equifax at all.

Do mortgage providers look at all of them?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Feb 17, 9:49 PM
    • 13,187 Posts
    • 13,501 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Feb 17, 9:49 PM
    • 15th Feb 17, 9:49 PM
    They'll look at any combination of them, from one to all three.
    • Sean_LDN
    • By Sean_LDN 15th Feb 17, 11:28 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sean_LDN
    • 15th Feb 17, 11:28 PM
    • 15th Feb 17, 11:28 PM
    So potentially I could have a mortgage application rejected due to Equifax's false information.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 16th Feb 17, 10:54 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 1,736 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 16th Feb 17, 10:54 AM
    • 16th Feb 17, 10:54 AM
    Why did you waste £15 with Credit Compass when you could have checked all 3 CRAs for free?

www.noddle.co.uk (Call Credit)
    www.clearscore.com (Equifax)
    www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub (Experian)

Try here for Royal Mail:
    http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/update-your-address
    • Sean_LDN
    • By Sean_LDN 16th Feb 17, 1:38 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sean_LDN
    • 16th Feb 17, 1:38 PM
    • 16th Feb 17, 1:38 PM
    I was in a panic after seeing my terrible rating on Equifax.

They've now linked my address up and found my credit agreements. I know everyone is telling me to ignore the score, but shouldn't I still be worried they are still rating me as "poor". I can't figure out why. The last time I missed a credit card payment was 15 years ago when I was a student.

Credit card utilisation: 27%
    Months since last payment problem: N/A
    Months since last serious payment problem: N/A
    Repayment Conduct assessment: Poor
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Feb 17, 1:42 PM
    • 13,187 Posts
    • 13,501 Thanks
    zx81
    Repayment Conduct assessment: Poor
    Originally posted by Sean_LDN
    Does your file sow that you have missed payments?
    • Sean_LDN
    • By Sean_LDN 16th Feb 17, 1:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sean_LDN
    No, shows absolutely no missed payments at all. I've carefully gone through. Mystery.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 16th Feb 17, 3:02 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 1,736 Thanks
    Candyapple
    No, shows absolutely no missed payments at all. I've carefully gone through. Mystery.
    Originally posted by Sean_LDN
    Is it showing as any different on ClearScore?

What about Noddle (Call Credit) and MSE Club (Experian)?
    • KoshB5
    • By KoshB5 16th Feb 17, 3:17 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    KoshB5
    CRAs addresses are determined from the address data provided within the financial account updates they receive and electoral role registraton, the financial account data will take precedence, all will be shown and can be used to find somebody, though the financial accounts would indicate primary place of residency.
    Last edited by KoshB5; 16-02-2017 at 3:20 PM.
    • Sean_LDN
    • By Sean_LDN 16th Feb 17, 3:55 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sean_LDN
    Call Credit is showing the exact same info, but rating my payment conduct assessment as good/ excellent.

I haven't got a report from Experian or ClearScore yet.

Are these credit scores just a nonsense? Or is it picking up something I can't see?

Very worried as a friend recently had a mortgage application rejected because of Equifax.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Feb 17, 4:08 PM
    • 13,187 Posts
    • 13,501 Thanks
    zx81
    Only the data matters. The score don't matter at all.

If the data is correct, then that's fine.
    • Delboy28
    • By Delboy28 10th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Delboy28
    I have a similar problem. My flat number isn't on most of my credit agreements, so Equifax have linked 2 addresses when it should just be the same address. I have a poor score solely because of this. I can't get hold of 1 old credit agreement but all the others have been changed with a lot of effort. And some already had the flat number on their records when i was sorting the slight amendment to address, which was surprising as Equifax didn't. But i am being punished for my address not having a flat number. Any help much appreciated please. Young family trying to get mortgage
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 13,187 Posts
    • 13,501 Thanks
    zx81
    It's a shame that the score matters to you.

We can't help you with that, I'm afraid
    • mwarby
    • By mwarby 10th Jun 17, 9:02 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    mwarby
    Young family trying to get mortgage
    Originally posted by Delboy28
    The score means nothing, lenders (especially for a mortgage) will look at the raw data, as part of their decision making

What they're looking for from the files
    No missed payments
    No insolvency
    Your level of debt and cost of servicing it long term

From your application
    Can you afford the repayments
    How much deposit do you have
    Loan to value
    Property specifics

IMHO the best thing you can do to improve your chances of getting a mortgage is, use credit sparingly, never miss a payment and save for a biggest deposit you can.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 11th Jun 17, 6:59 AM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    Ben8282
    I have a similar problem. My flat number isn't on most of my credit agreements, so Equifax have linked 2 addresses when it should just be the same address. I have a poor score solely because of this. UNLIKELY. HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT YOUR POOR SCORE IS SOLEY DUE TO THIS? I can't get hold of 1 old credit agreement but all the others have been changed with a lot of effort. And some already had the flat number on their records when i was sorting the slight amendment to address, which was surprising as Equifax didn't. But i am being punished for my address not having a flat number. Any help much appreciated please. Young family trying to get mortgage
    Originally posted by Delboy28
    So you have your address with flat number linked to your address without flat number. No big deal. This should not be causing you any problems. As you have several credit agreements already, it doesn't appear to have caused you any problems in the past. For future applications best to use the version of the address which corresponds to electoral roll entry.
    • Delboy28
    • By Delboy28 11th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Delboy28
    The reason for my worry is my mortgage man has strongly advised me to sort this out as a lot of lenders use Equifax and Experian themselves to look at the score first. A poor score is what they will see and so the payback he worked out would actually be about a £100 more a month. I'm sure a lot of lenders will see the minor discrepancy on further inspection but would they lower their fees accordingly?! i think i'm right in saying, buyers first have to be mortgaged approved, then lenders do the 2nd check/final check and your mortgaged.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

262Posts Today

1,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin