Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 272
    • kyros
    • By kyros 31st Aug 17, 5:05 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kyros
    Hi Kyros thanks for that info, can I ask do you need to pay an upfront fee as well for that?

(Best deal I've seen is less monthly: £42 but much less data: 4GB and £100 upfront and no Spotify but unlimited texts and calls - this is also on Vodafone - on tech radar 'best Samsung Galaxy Note 8 deals' article)
    Originally posted by freetheweb
    Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. I have to pay £50 upfront. Still, assuming I can net £70 for the DAX on eBay and deducting the £10/mos I'd normally be paying for Spotify, it works out to only £2.45/mos for the tariff. The rest covers the £869 cost of the phone.

This is how I calculated that:

£49.50/mos x 24 mos = £1188
    Upfront fee= £50
    Samsung Note 8 = -869
    Spotify x 24 mos = -240
    Dax Resale= -70

Total: £59

So that works out to £2.45/mos for 32GB data and unlimited minutes and texts. That's a lot better than any SIM only deal I could have gotten from buying the phone outright!
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 31st Aug 17, 6:28 PM
    • 7,473 Posts
    • 2,339 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    That's if you're happy to take out a mortage for the latest toy which will be out of date or broken in the next year or so - apart from committing yourtself to one of the worst networks around for the next two years. Bargain!!
    Last edited by mobilejunkie; 31-08-2017 at 6:31 PM.
    • kyros
    • By kyros 2nd Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kyros
    Yes, obviously I am happy to take out a second mortgage (note spelling) for the latest toy that will be out of date in the next year and to be commited to one of the worst networks for the next two years; otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to the contract and posted about it here. But thanks for your stunningly astute and original contribution.
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 11th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Abbey1991
    Hi,

I'm out of contract with Vodafone and have just obtained a PAC after some discussion but what I really want is for them to make a good offer on a 25GB or 40GB Sim-only plan.

What's the best way to achieve this? Call them again? Live chat? Wait for them to call me? Go to a shop? Wait for the PAC to expire before requesting a new one?

Thank you !
    • KDH
    • By KDH 12th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    KDH
    Anyone under the age of 25 looking here who's on a Vodafone SIM only plan and has reached their upgrade date should look at VOXI - no PAC code needed and can (possibly??) use existing SIM.

https://www.voxi.co.uk/plans
    Last edited by KDH; 12-09-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 12th Sep 17, 10:58 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Mister G
    Anyone under the age of 25 looking here who's on a Vodafone SIM only plan and has reached their upgrade date should look at VOXI - no PAC code needed and can use existing SIM.

https://www.voxi.co.uk/plans
    Originally posted by KDH
    Perhaps you missed this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5704733
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 12th Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Murielson
    Any special deals for us old folk? 50+, 2 x phones now well out of contract and ready for renewal/change and after best we can get.

Samsung Android and could do with new handset and current contract at £30.50 per month. Also have daughters iphone on our account so just interested in what others might be getting that might be good for us.

Never use all monthly contract minutes, never use all texts but recently stated using more data and therefore want to hike this up. Currently at 500MB but no longer suitable.

Long time with Vodafone but also long time with Tesco so is Tesco mobile comparable with Vodafone coverage nowadays? Thinking Tesco points if worthwhile.
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 14th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Abbey1991
    That's a lot of questions, probably better to bullet point them and maybe start new threads setting out each person's individual requirements.
    • austinali
    • By austinali 22nd Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    austinali
    My contract ends on the 24th Sept and I requested my pac code about 3 weeks ago after failing to negotiate a good deal. I took the contract out 2 years ago and I pay around £33 for the samsung s6, 4gb data and unlimited mins and text.

Yesterday I called an was offered a nearly new iphone 7 128gb with 6gb data and unlimited mins and text for £37.75 a month. Is this worth it?
    • jimroy
    • By jimroy 5th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jimroy
    Got 40% off SIMO deal and first 2 months free.
    My 12 month SIMO contract ends today and I contacted online chat for my PAC code which was easy enough I thought.

I then called up to cancel my Vodafone Wallet account and have the details taken off my NFC SIM as per online instructions before porting out.

I got put through to Cancelations instead of Customer Care thanks to the infuriating automated bot on the phone and before being transferred through to the correct department was told I had a 40% discount waiting on my account if I wanted to upgrade.

I was offered the usually £17.50pm 500 mins unlimited texts and 5gb data deal for £10.50 per month. And they also added a £21 credit to my account effectively giving me the first two months free.

In all that works out at £8.75pm over 12 months which I think is an excellent deal for me compared with what I was looking at with the competition. (I was looking at porting over either to existing free TalkTalk SIM with a data boost, or GifGaf or Tesco Mobile. I can only rely on Vodafone or O2 signal wise).
    Last edited by jimroy; 05-10-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    • Jonesbo
    • By Jonesbo 5th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jonesbo
    My 12 month SIMO contract ends today and I contacted online chat for my PAC code which was easy enough I thought.

I then called up to cancel my Vodafone Wallet account and have the details taken off my NFC SIM as per online instructions before porting out.

I got put through to Cancelations instead of Customer Care thanks to the infuriating automated bot on the phone and was told I had a 40% discount waiting on my account if I wanted to upgrade.

I got the usually £17.50pm 500 mins unlimited texts and 5gb data deal for £10.50 per month. And they also added a £21 credit to my account effectively giving me the first two months free.

In all that works out at £8.75pm over 12 months which I think is an excellent deal for me compared with what I was looking at with the competition. (I was looking at porting over either to existing free TalkTalk SIM, or GifGaf or Tesco Mobile. I can only rely on Vodafone or O2 signal wise).
    Originally posted by jimroy
    Similar to the deal I got.

BUT... check your bills everyone!

I've been overcharged two years running now when they haven't put the contract through properly. Currently being charged £27pm because they've cocked up yet again. I'll get it back it's fine, but just be aware VF are notorious for this since they switched their billing systems and it's still happening.
    • euroreisender
    • By euroreisender 12th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    euroreisender
    Hello. I am a continued Vodafone customer of more than 10 years. I am looking at gettint the 40GB with free Spotify for £30 SIM only deal, but I would ideally like to try to bring this down to around the £25 per month mark. What can I realistically expect in this regard? I managed to get my first two months free on my last 12 months SIM only deal after I insisted I was leaving Vodafone after having found a better deal on EE.
    • Jonesbo
    • By Jonesbo 12th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jonesbo
    Hello. I am a continued Vodafone customer of more than 10 years. I am looking at gettint the 40GB with free Spotify for £30 SIM only deal, but I would ideally like to try to bring this down to around the £25 per month mark. What can I realistically expect in this regard? I managed to get my first two months free on my last 12 months SIM only deal after I insisted I was leaving Vodafone after having found a better deal on EE.
    Originally posted by euroreisender
    40% off I'd say. That's usually been my max both with sim only and contract phones. Current sim only is 40% off plus first two months free (works out 7GB for £8.75pm).
    • Quicklite
    • By Quicklite 14th Oct 17, 12:25 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Quicklite
    Woke up this morning - my Red Spotify expired - turns out that the Voda sims-only was up for renewal. I requested the PAC. The 191 "if you're thinking of leaving" guy couldn't help much much (got bog standard £20 for 8GB RED pack). I mentioned that a new customer would get a better deal (e.g. £45 Quidco or something) - the guy didn't help, and said the £25 deal for 25GB RED can't be discounted (understandable). Turns out to be a very sticky phone call (with loads of fear/uncertainty/doubt tactics - they're obviously the first line of retention). Stuck to requesting the PAC.

Later on the same day - got a callback from a fast talking retention team person (sounds more used to making deals). They offered 40% off the 8GB red pack, which works out at £16.8 per month, with the 4 month free (so £11.2pm over 12 month). I got them to apply 40% off - to the £33 sims only tariff (Unlimited min, text, 16GB, RED entertainment pack) & first 4 month free too. Works out at £19.8pm x8 /12 or £13.2 per month. V. Happy.

I have Voda fibre too / not sure if that made any difference / have been with them for nearly a decade now. This was probably one of the better deals I've had.
    Last edited by Quicklite; 14-10-2017 at 12:29 AM.
    • jimroy
    • By jimroy 14th Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jimroy
    Similar to the deal I got.

BUT... check your bills everyone!

I've been overcharged two years running now when they haven't put the contract through properly. Currently being charged £27pm because they've cocked up yet again. I'll get it back it's fine, but just be aware VF are notorious for this since they switched their billing systems and it's still happening.
    Originally posted by Jonesbo
    Thanks.

The only time I've been caught out by Vodafone billing wise was when they charged me for two picture messages because I'd added an emoji onto two text messages.
    They credited me back and I have blocked outgoing picture messages on my account and changed settings on my phone so that doesn't happen again.

i called Vodafone back re my upgrade as I thought I could have got a better deal applying my 40% discount onto my existing 8gb tariff. I was told that i would only have got a 15% discount for that tariff. And for my trouble and the confusion they applied another £20 discount onto my account. So I'm even more 'quids in' now. I'm effectively paying £7.08 pm for 12 months. I was even given the option to cancel/reverse the upgrade. And I could use my already issued PAC to leave if I wanted.

I've checked and both credits have already been applied to my account. I won't have to pay a bill until next year now. And the discount is valid on my account until Jan '20, so that's good too.

And of course you can upgrade after 3 months on a SIMO plan to a flexible tariff with a handset meaning you can re-upgrade every six months to a new handset if you so desire. I don't, but I like that you have those options.

I'm very happy with what I've got. :-)
    Last edited by jimroy; 14-10-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    • boundy
    • By boundy 14th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    boundy
    Not due for renewal until middle of March next year but fancy a new phone, so thought I would try my luck.

Current deal was 10gb data on an S7 that cost £29 per month, which I changed a few months back to 16gb data for £33 per month.

After much haggling, a pac request and 3 different online chat advisors, they came up with the following deal.
    Galaxy S8, £10 device cost, waive the early upgrade fee (this was £179). 16gb data, £33.70 per month.
    I wanted Spotify also so he came back with the following, as above but with 32gb data and Spotify for £37.70.
    Phone is being delivered Tuesday. Should get an easy £150 for my S7.
    Total cost over 24 months
    £904.80+ £10 upfront -£240 for Spotify = £674.80 - £522 handset cost (amazon have the cheapest at the mo) = £152.80 for the cost of the plan ÷ 24 months = £6.36 per month for 32gb of data.

I know the above calculations are a bit !!! about face way of doing it but still works out cheaper than a sim free phone + sim only plan. Take the resale of my S7 into consideration that came from my last retention deal and the air time plan practically free.
    • cezairs
    • By cezairs 20th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cezairs
    Advice if anyone can help -

Daughter contract about to end and now needs a new handset at Uni so needs DATA and probably Spotify too.

My contract is Unlimited Texts and Mins with 20GB rolling 30day @ £21.25 with Spotify ending 12th Feb.

Other daughter has a year on her contract with them unlimited text and calls with 6GB of data (which she sometimes goes over)
    Would there be any scope for change on this do you think ?
    As I have 3 with them will they be nice to me ?

Any words of wisdom appreciated.
    • Beartricks
    • By Beartricks 26th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Beartricks
    I attempted to haggle with them a month or so ago. I've been paying £23 for 1GB data, unlimited minutes and texts on an LGG4 for the past two years, although I stuck my sim in an unlocked cheap phone because the G4 had a hardware failure that no one wanted to take responsibility for. I also had a 20% public services discount on the contract.

Vodafone would not budge on giving me any kind of good deal. The person I spoke to consistently quoted the deals on the website, all of which are terrible and my upgrade options are a bit of a joke.

I'd ideally like a more up to date phone rather than an older model. I'm willing to pay a bit more but Vodafone don't seem to want to keep my business.
    • Jonesbo
    • By Jonesbo 26th Oct 17, 10:50 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jonesbo
    I attempted to haggle with them a month or so ago. I've been paying £23 for 1GB data, unlimited minutes and texts on an LGG4 for the past two years, although I stuck my sim in an unlocked cheap phone because the G4 had a hardware failure that no one wanted to take responsibility for. I also had a 20% public services discount on the contract.

Vodafone would not budge on giving me any kind of good deal. The person I spoke to consistently quoted the deals on the website, all of which are terrible and my upgrade options are a bit of a joke.

I'd ideally like a more up to date phone rather than an older model. I'm willing to pay a bit more but Vodafone don't seem to want to keep my business.
    Originally posted by Beartricks
    Very strange. Assume you had the dreaded bootloop on the G4!

As a ballpark I pay £8.75pm for 7gb data 500m unlt txt, roughly a 40pc discount. Generally you can't stack with employee discount so not worth having that. Call staff usually useless you need to cancel (order pac) and wait for a retentions call.

Saying that the last few times I've been 'transferred' to retentions when ringing up.

If you're getting nowhere though, just order your pac and wait a few days. Some amazing SIM only deals out there now (check the HUKD sim only thread) so don't stay with VF if you're not getting a good deal...and at the mo you're not
    • Tagatose
    • By Tagatose 8th Nov 17, 10:42 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    Tagatose
    SIM only deals in the order they were offered:

20gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    Free to use in 50 free destinations
    £17
    with 2 months free

25gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    Free spotify or sky sports or now tv
    £21.25
    with 2 months free

40gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    £24
    with 2 months free

8gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    £14.45
    with 2 months free

8gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    £14.45
    with 3 months free

8gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    £16.20
    with 3 months free

5gb of data
    500 minutes
    unlimited text
    £10.80
    with 3 months free

10gb of data
    500 minutes
    unlimited text
    £14.40
    with 3 months free
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

1,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin