Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 270
    • fatboy88
    • By fatboy88 21st Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    fatboy88
    Managed to get an S7 on the 3GB plan for £27.75 with a months free line rental. No upfront cost and postage fees.

They wouldn't budge anymore. Works out about 27% ish i had 45% last year
    • Rob1878
    • By Rob1878 23rd Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Rob1878
    Hi

My phone contract is due to expire on 13/11/2016,

My current contract is with Vodafone, I have an iPhone 6 64GB with unlimited texts and minutes and 4GB of data at £43.50 per month.

I would also like a new handset (an iPhone 6 preferably) as my current one has difficulty in charging. I have to balance it on the end the charging cable is to get it to charge rather than simply plugging it in.

I am a bit rubbish at the old haggling thing, just wondered what type of deals are out there that I can realistically expect? Ideally I would like something similar to the package I have with an iPhone 6 for around £35 per month. Am I being too unrealistic?

Thanks for any replies.
    • Quicklite
    • By Quicklite 24th Oct 16, 2:13 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Quicklite
    Hmm, I've accepted a SIM deal where I might have gotten better.

Unlimited Mins and Txts, 10GB Data, 2GB European Data, Spotify Premium - 12 months £16.20

It did say if I wanted to cancel I had 30 days. Is it worth me ringing back and trying to get the 25GB package?

Worth noting my average data usage is 3.1GB because I use Sptoify Premium, so, unless something dramatic happens, I don't actually need anything more than I've got.
    Originally posted by Ady87
    Got offered similar sims only plan - at first the upgrade team told me there is no discount on sims only; so I discussed the chat to pay monthly. Was thinking of S7 Edge if price was right & had Spotify. Sadly they wouldn't discount the Red contracts with entertainment pack (Spotify); and was only willing to do upto 30% off on non entertainment pack contracts (I had 40% for entertainment pack plan previously). This meant I just asked for the PAC.

So all of a sudden they changed tune - and pulled the £16.2 sims only deal out of the hat (which mins previously they said did not exist) - I got them to throw in a month free and accepted the deal: Unlimited Mins and Txts, 8GB Data, 2GB European Data, Spotify Premium - 12 months £16.20 - plus 1st month free. Also on offer was the £19.2 / £22 respectively for the bigger data ones. This is the same price as their Sept promotion - when you could have got Quidco too. However, had to upgrade so can't be too picky. Not bad at £14.8 ish after discount.

When I called 2 weeks previously, was offered upto 40% off Huwai P9 or 30% off on S7 Edge. No discount that time on contracts with entertainment pack neither (they offered a £15 voucher lol). Requested PAC. Didn't get any call back.

No offer on the new iPhone (fixed). Interestingly was offered 30% off on old iPhone 6 deal - though wasn't really interested. Getting discount on iPhone 7 appears out of question as expected - though interesting to see there being any discount on the Apple stuff at all.

Is it just me or has Vodafone's retention team's ability to do discount far less generous lately? They've not really called me at all after requesting PAC code (2 called but hang up mid-call - was the upgrade team though).
    Last edited by Quicklite; 24-10-2016 at 2:15 AM.
    • Rob1878
    • By Rob1878 29th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Rob1878
    I rang Vodafone and accepted a new 12 month deal of 500 mins, unlimited texts and 5gb of data for £14.45 per month. I sorted the charging issue (for now at least) by using a can of compressed air.
    Last edited by Rob1878; 29-10-2016 at 8:12 PM.
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 4th Nov 16, 10:02 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    satchef1
    I got offered the standard SIK Only tariffs, or the door. Literally, pick one or you can have your PAC code. I took the PAC code. Might not use it though as I get EAP discount, and Unlimited mins/texts, 20GB data, 4GB roaming data plus 12 months NowTV or Spotify for £15.75 is basically a market leading offer.
    • ccarr32051
    • By ccarr32051 8th Dec 16, 8:39 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ccarr32051
    Hello EE Bye bye Vodafone
    After 15 years with Vodafone the time came for an upgrade once again. My old 24 month contract was for
    Sony Xperia Z3 ( A premium phone at that time)
    Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited texts
    4GB data
    500MB wifi (normally £46 but discounted to £26 40% discount)

So I went to online chat to ask for my PAC code and the best they could offer was either
    Nearly new Samsung S7 or Vodafone Smart Platinum 7
    Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited texts
    3GB data
    500 MB Euro data
    The cost was £29 for 24 months increasing Euro data would increase the price. I would always get a call from Retensions but not this time so I went to EE. and got a 4GEE Max plan

7GB Data for use in UK and Europe (tethering also)
    Unlimited mins
    Unlimited text
    24 Months BT Sport app access
    Sony Xperia XA (new)
    Was £30,99 a month and because I work for NHS 20% discount = £24.79 for 24 months )

Chris
    Last edited by ccarr32051; 08-12-2016 at 8:42 PM.
    • Walda Wild
    • By Walda Wild 14th Dec 16, 3:29 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Walda Wild
    Hi people,

Can you please give me some strategic advice before I speak with Vodafone regarding an upgrade of Sim only tarrif of mine?

I must have had one for ages, and having read this thread, I really am paying a lot for what I have (£20 p/m/900 min/unlim. Txts/500mb data).

I just bought a new smart phone and may need to use internet on it quite a bit.

Their Red Bundle SIMO best tariff (unlimited everything + 22 GB of data) is now £22 per month, but they say it is already 40% off Xmas deal.

Can I try and get a 50% discount on that given I am a long term customer of theirs?

If anybody has similar SIMO deal, could you explain to me what are Spotify/NowTV ? Just in case I donít even need such.

When some users wrote earlier that they gotten 3 months free, does this literally mean they wonít charge one for first 3 months?

Does Vodafone still have a retention live chat line?
    English is not my first language, and ironically I find it very difficult to negotiate with someone with a foreign accent via phone in call centres.

Sorry for a long post: as I live in a remote rural area, Voda has the best coverage, therefore I am really reluctant to leave them.
    So I am not even sure if itís a good idea to speculatively ask for a PAC code?

Many thanks for comments and advice.
    If life gives you lemons, make lemonade!
    • pred02
    • By pred02 12th Jan 17, 11:54 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pred02
    iPhone 7 deals on Vodafone
    Hi,

My current contract experienced end of year. Currently paying £35.10 for unlimited voice and 20GB data, I got this with a iPhone 6 upgrade 2 years ago (it's 40% discount).

I am looking to upgrade to iPhone 7, what kind of deals are people getting these days? I inquired about the same discounted deal day after my contract expired, but they said no discounts are available.

They are offering £21 for a sim only deal 12 month contract stating that this would not prevent me from upgrading to IPhone 7 once deals become available.

Also I understand that Apple used to do 24 month interest free deals on new headsets purchased directly from them. Are those deals gone now?

Thanks
    Last edited by pred02; 12-01-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    • Jonners85
    • By Jonners85 12th Jan 17, 2:15 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jonners85
    With the Winter Sale being on I doubt you will achieve very much.

Then they also bang on about 'flagship phones' and they cannot do deals on them.

Best I achieved was S7 Edge @ £42 a month (down to £35.70 with VEA), free Handset(normally £60)+ free Delivery (normally £4.94), and a measly £18 bill credit.
    • pred02
    • By pred02 23rd Jan 17, 3:20 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pred02
    My iPhone 6 16gb is out of storage space, I did everything to delete data and non-essential apps but still struggling as iOS10 is too big (cheeky Apple)

I am out of contract on VF, I need to upgrade, consider the iPhone 7 or refurbished iPhone 6s (64gb) route. Vodafone is not discounting the plans with iPhone 7 when I called, so it seems the best deal would be to purchase the iPhone 7 and get the winter special (12 month SIM only 12gb data 6 months half price (£16/£32) and get the iPhone 7 in the US as I am traveling there later this week (comes out about £554 after taxes).

Not super keen on the iPhone 7, but if I am going to keep the phone for 2 years and it's only $150 over the refurbished 6s it does make sense to get the latest model (I have wireless headphones).

Slight preference to stick to VF versus take the PAC and I travel abroad quite a bit and the £3/day Euro traveller £5/world seems decent for roaming charges.
    • alisont
    • By alisont 26th Feb 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    alisont
    It's nearly the 12 month time to barter for a new 12 month sim only deal.

Currently paying £8.50 a month for 5gb with unlimited calls & texts.
    That's for my iPhone 6 - I've been happy with my plan & the phones fine so don't need anything other than another 12 month sim only deal.

Not sure if I'll start via live chat or 191 retentions yet.

I won't get cheaper than £8.50 I'm sure but will see if any deals for more data, free Spotify or a shared sim as I've got an iPad mini but mainly just want data for the phone.

Has anyone found any good deals recently or got any direct numbers for retentions or any tips?

Got a few weeks to look into this & will either I'm guessing end up with a repeat of this year or more data/shared sim for extra money.
    Sealed Pot Challenge number 8 Amount declared £365.50.

Sealed pot challenge number 9 number 482
    • techno12
    • By techno12 28th Feb 17, 2:10 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    techno12
    Let us know how you get on.

I'm on the same deal, and my 12 months expired a couple of weeks ago, so back paying £17. I need to do this as my contract is out of sync with the 'deal' durations, so need to pay full whack until they align again. (Vodafone covered this extra cost when I got last year's deal by crediting my account by £17 when I mentioned this)

I'm hoping for similar, ie 50% off a Red bundle - it'll have more data which will be handy.

Last year I arranged it all by live chat, which came in useful as they initially only took 30% off instead of 50% so as I 'had it in writing' they could correct their mistake.
    • techno12
    • By techno12 10th Mar 17, 3:31 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    techno12
    Just got off live chat with Upgrades (ie not retentions)

Ended up with 500mins, unlimited txts, 5GB data for £10.20. 12-month contract. 2 months free as well.

I kept chipping away as the initial offer was £11.90 and no months free.

I wonder if retentions could do much better? The advisor said new rules came in and they couldn't offer anything more off, and they wouldn't put me through to retentions anyway.

However, I'm ok with this deal as it seems prices have gone up, and I was paying £10.20 the year before anyway. I never use the minutes so the downgrade from unlimited isn't an issue for me.

There are no sub £10 cheapos at mobiles.co.uk etc at the time of me writing this so "around a tenner" appears to be the current going rate for a decent 'deal'.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 10th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 7,289 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    There are no sub £10 cheapos at mobiles.co.uk etc at the time of me writing this so "around a tenner" appears to be the current going rate for a decent 'deal'.
    Originally posted by techno12
    There are - a lot cheaper, though with less data (same minutes and with a cheap phone).
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 10th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham

Ended up with 500mins, unlimited txts, 5GB data for £10.20. 12-month contract. 2 months free as well.

I wonder if retentions could do much better? The advisor said new rules came in and they couldn't offer anything more off, and they wouldn't put me through to retentions anyway.

However, I'm ok with this deal as it seems prices have gone up, and I was paying £10.20 the year before anyway. I never use the minutes so the downgrade from unlimited isn't an issue for me.

I got that for my wife as well....was pushing for more but they wasn't going for it....got her PAC number

Got a call from retentions, who pleaded poverty...finally got another ten pounds credit....so not bad
    • techno12
    • By techno12 10th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    techno12
    Nice one - I really wanted to sort it today and stay with Vodafone so went with it...

There were no mobiles.co.uk SIM-only Vodafone deals to quote unfortunately. Cheapest is £11. Last year there was one at £6.50 (with the faff of redeeming and waiting for cheques however) which I quoted and they transferred me to retentions straight away who offered me similar with more data for £8.50 and no redemption cheque faff.

Roll on the same dance this time next year! Ditto home insurance, car insurance, the AA etc. Fun lol
    • alisont
    • By alisont 10th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    alisont

Glad you got sorted, I've yet to have the time to go on live chat but will this weekend - getting the feeling I won't get the 50% Off this year as in the £8.50 but I'm happy to remain with Vodafone as. Ever had problems with them.

I'm interested to see what data is offered and if there is a way to share data with my iPad and have a dual sim deal, might ask about Spotify too.

Don't want the hassle of moving to another company or cash back cheques as I'd probably forget to claim but will have a go with live chat see what's offered.
    Sealed Pot Challenge number 8 Amount declared £365.50.

Sealed pot challenge number 9 number 482
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 11th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    Nice one - I really wanted to sort it today and stay with Vodafone so went with it...

There were no mobiles.co.uk SIM-only Vodafone deals to quote unfortunately. Cheapest is £11. Last year there was one at £6.50 (with the faff of redeeming and waiting for cheques however) which I quoted and they transferred me to retentions straight away who offered me similar with more data for £8.50 and no redemption cheque faff.

Roll on the same dance this time next year! Ditto home insurance, car insurance, the AA etc. Fun lol
    It's fun and entertaining with this haggling.

Easiest is SKY and AA....
    But I find always be friendly on the phone and back up any offer from a competitor with facts....write down details from web pages etc
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 11th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4,099 Posts
    • 2,924 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Got 6gb Data, unlimited texts and Calls. as well as 2gb roaming, for £13.20 a month
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 11th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    Got 6gb Data, unlimited texts and Calls. as well as 2gb roaming, for £13.20 a month
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    That's good
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

2,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin