Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Baggiestan
    • By Baggiestan 14th Feb 17, 2:51 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Baggiestan
    Parking Eye POPLA
    • 14th Feb 17, 2:51 PM
    Parking Eye POPLA 14th Feb 17 at 2:51 PM
    My wife has received a PCN from parking eye for using a town centre car park 3 days before xmas,not disbuting she used car park she was on there for 16 mins but at no stage did she park her car or get out of her car just kept going round looking for spaces but because we couldn't park we then left the car park,Parking Eye have turned down the appeal and have given us a POPLA number,is it worth going down the POPLA route and appealing or should we just bite the bullet,
    Regards
    Last edited by Baggiestan; 17-03-2017 at 2:35 PM.
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Feb 17, 2:55 PM
    • 45,193 Posts
    • 57,860 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Feb 17, 2:55 PM
    • 14th Feb 17, 2:55 PM
    The NEWBIES thread covers this in post #3, with templates for POPLA stage. No thread tells you to pay. Not a single one.

What happened when you complained first, to the Store Manager(s) and the site owner/agent? Do that before POPLA.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Redx
    • By Redx 14th Feb 17, 2:57 PM
    • 13,707 Posts
    • 16,819 Thanks
    Redx
    • 14th Feb 17, 2:57 PM
    • 14th Feb 17, 2:57 PM
    yes , study the popla templates in the NEWBIES sticky thread , especially grace periods

also study the fact that a court case won by ivor pecheque a few years ago won at Altrincham court due to the same issues , so can be used as part of any appeal or defence, parking prankster blogged about it and the thread was on here too

PE monitor time on site , not "parking time"
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Baggiestan
    • By Baggiestan 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Baggiestan
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    Just had confirmation from POPLA.appeal succesful.
    Thank you to all for your advice.
    • Baggiestan
    • By Baggiestan 17th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Baggiestan
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    The decision below if it is of use to anyone.

In this case, it is not clear who the driver of the appellant’s vehicle is, so I must consider the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA 2012), as the operator issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) to the keeper of the vehicle. The operator has provided me with a copy of the Notice to Keeper sent to the appellant. I have reviewed the Notice to Keeper against the relevant sections of PoFA 2012 and I am satisfied that it is compliant. The appellant states the date of the alleged parking contravention was three days before Christmas and it was very busy. The appellant states there were hardly any parking spaces. The appellant states the driver could not park and left the site to find alternative parking. The appellant has raised grace periods. The appellant states it took a long time to go around the site and exit the site due to traffic. In terms of POPLA appeals, the burden of proof lies with the operator to provide POPLA with clear, sufficient evidence to demonstrate that the PCN was issued correctly. The site operates Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras, the operator has provided photographic images of the appellant’s vehicle **** *** entering the site at 13:54, exiting at 14:10; the period of stay was 16 minutes. Section 13.1 of The British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice states “Your approach to parking management must allow a driver who enters your car park but decided not to park, to leave the car park within a reasonable period without having their vehicle issued with a parking charge notice”. After reviewing the evidence provided, I can see that the date of the alleged parking contravention was the 22 December 2016. This is three days before Christmas at 13:54 therefore, I am satisfied that it would have been busy on the site. Furthermore, the operator has provided a site map which shows the site is large. Based upon the evidence provided, I am satisfied that the driver would have entered the site in traffic due to the time of year; and was unable to locate a parking space. As the driver could not park they left the site. As such, I am satisfied that 16 minutes is a reasonable grace period. Therefore, I conclude the PCN was issued incorrectly.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 17th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 6,295 Posts
    • 5,119 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    Parking Eye have turned down the appeal ... the mind boggles..

This is a classic case of breaching the provisions of the DPA by continuing to progress this case. Warn them that, unless they cancel this charge forthwith, you will take them to court for misuse of your data. Also read this.

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/waiting-for-space-is-not-parking.html
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 45,193 Posts
    • 57,860 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    The decision below if it is of use to anyone.

In this case, it is not clear who the driver of the appellant’s vehicle is, so I must consider the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA 2012), as the operator issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) to the keeper of the vehicle. The operator has provided me with a copy of the Notice to Keeper sent to the appellant. I have reviewed the Notice to Keeper against the relevant sections of PoFA 2012 and I am satisfied that it is compliant.

The appellant states the date of the alleged parking contravention was three days before Christmas and it was very busy. The appellant states there were hardly any parking spaces.

The appellant states the driver could not park and left the site to find alternative parking. The appellant has raised grace periods. The appellant states it took a long time to go around the site and exit the site due to traffic. In terms of POPLA appeals, the burden of proof lies with the operator to provide POPLA with clear, sufficient evidence to demonstrate that the PCN was issued correctly.

The site operates Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras, the operator has provided photographic images of the appellant’s vehicle **** *** entering the site at 13:54, exiting at 14:10; the period of stay was 16 minutes. Section 13.1 of The British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice states “Your approach to parking management must allow a driver who enters your car park but decided not to park, to leave the car park within a reasonable period without having their vehicle issued with a parking charge notice”.

After reviewing the evidence provided, I can see that the date of the alleged parking contravention was the 22 December 2016. This is three days before Christmas at 13:54 therefore, I am satisfied that it would have been busy on the site. Furthermore, the operator has provided a site map which shows the site is large.

Based upon the evidence provided, I am satisfied that the driver would have entered the site in traffic due to the time of year; and was unable to locate a parking space. As the driver could not park they left the site.

As such, I am satisfied that 16 minutes is a reasonable grace period. Therefore, I conclude the PCN was issued incorrectly.
    Originally posted by Baggiestan
    Thanks for posting again and well done!

Nice to read a sensible decision taking into account that the car would have arrived 'in traffic' and the car park is large and it was 3 days before Christmas.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,121Posts Today

7,258Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @zimpaz: @MartinSLewis My wife is from ireland. Lived here for 8 years. We own a house and have a baby together. It's a worrying topic f?

• RT @maeday05: @MartinSLewis Sorry, but I'm feeling a little smug

• Today's Twitter poll: Should EU citizens living in UK's full residency & other rights be guaranteed now, regardless of Brexit negotiations?

• Follow Martin