Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Feb 17, 5:36 PM
    • 2,199Posts
    • 3,068Thanks
    trailingspouse
    exercise for middle aged overweight man
    • 13th Feb 17, 5:36 PM
    exercise for middle aged overweight man 13th Feb 17 at 5:36 PM
    He'll hate me for the title, but it's true enough.

My OH is 58, and until recently weighed 16 st 4 lb. He started the 5:2 diet just over a month ago, and has lost very nearly a stone.

He would now like to add some exercise to his dieting, but isn't sure where to start. He owns a bike, and a set of golf clubs, but it's a bit cold for either at the moment. He was very sporty in his youth (football, cricket, cycling, badminton) and sort of forgets that he isn't a youth any longer - then gets frustrated when he can't perform at the level he thinks he should.

He hasn't always been in the best of health - diagnosed with cancer 8 years ago (absolutely fine now), had a heart problem which was sorted out 3 years ago. He suffers from periods of depression, but is 'OK' at the moment. All of this has a) contributed to his weight gain and b) made him wary of exerting himself (particularly the heart problem which meant that he struggled to even walk upstairs at one point). He spends 3 hours a day driving to and from work, and has quite a stressful job, but is only working 3 days a week at the moment so has quite a lot of 'spare' time.

So - any suggestions for things that he can do to ease himself back in to exercising in a sensible, sustainable way?
Page 5
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 11th May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 3,068 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Whoop!!!

Today we bought... NEW SUITS!!!!

And two pairs of jeans, a pair of chinos, some new shirts, a new jumper, and (possibly TMI here) new underpants!!!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 25th May 17, 3:05 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 3,068 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Final installment - he has now achieved his goal to lose 2 stone. He started in January, using the 5:2 diet, and I started this thread about a month later to get some ideas about how he could build exercise in to his life.

He now plays golf 2 or 3 times a week, I bought a bike so now we can cycle on the canal towpath which is great, he never ever takes the lift or the escalator if there are stairs available, and his energy levels are immense. The depression still tries to bring him down, but it doesn't have as much of a hold on him as it used to. People are commenting on how much better he's looking.

The challenge now is to maintain the weight loss and possibly continue to lose in the long term. The healthy eating will continue - he's totally lost his craving for sugar and salt, and would rather have fruit than crisps. He's thinking of perhaps having one fasting day a week, just to keep on top of it.

I'm so proud of him, and he's heading towards his 59th birthday leaner and fitter than he's been in years.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 26th May 17, 8:46 AM
    • 5,417 Posts
    • 26,942 Thanks
    bugslet
    That's brilliant news trailing spouse
    • fireblade28
    • By fireblade28 30th May 17, 9:04 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    fireblade28
    You both have done very well! Sounds like it's time for a new challenge, 5km park run? Rowing? Always aim to exceeds your previous level
    • AirJoe
    • By AirJoe 7th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    AirJoe
    Congrats to you both! I agree with fireblade28 that the occasional new challenge can be both fun and motivating. Group activities and clubs can be a good way to maintain a consistent level of exercise too.

I think depression is a fact of life for some people but you know that your husband now has a few more tools to deal with it. I've been on the cusp myself and regular exercise (trail running for me) is such a good mood leveller that I'll always find a way to fit it into my lifestyle, just as I'm sure you both will.

All the best to you both in the future!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 10th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 3,068 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Thought I'd just pop back with an update -

He hit 14st 4lbs back in May, and has maintained his weight at that level since then.

It's been life changing - he can run if running is required, he plays golf at least twice a week, we cycle and we walk. We bought fitbits a month or so ago - he's been quite shocked at how active I am on a day-to-day basis, compared to how inactive he is on the days he's at work. He now comes home from work, has dinner, checks his fitbit, and if he's not hit his target we'll go out for a walk in the evening. A few nights ago we did this, got home - and he was still a couple of hundred steps short, so he walked up and down the garden and wouldn't come in until he'd done them!!

As to new challenges - we're seriously thinking of cycling the length of the Leeds Liverpool canal...
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 10th Jul 17, 9:17 PM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 5,536 Thanks
    warehouse
    As to new challenges - we're seriously thinking of cycling the length of the Leeds Liverpool canal...
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Do it, I'm seriously thinking of doing something similar down south so would be very interested to hear how you get on.
    Pants
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

3,310Users online

Martin's Twitter