Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Feb 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1,970Posts
    • 2,723Thanks
    trailingspouse
    exercise for middle aged overweight man
    • 13th Feb 17, 5:36 PM
    exercise for middle aged overweight man 13th Feb 17 at 5:36 PM
    He'll hate me for the title, but it's true enough.

My OH is 58, and until recently weighed 16 st 4 lb. He started the 5:2 diet just over a month ago, and has lost very nearly a stone.

He would now like to add some exercise to his dieting, but isn't sure where to start. He owns a bike, and a set of golf clubs, but it's a bit cold for either at the moment. He was very sporty in his youth (football, cricket, cycling, badminton) and sort of forgets that he isn't a youth any longer - then gets frustrated when he can't perform at the level he thinks he should.

He hasn't always been in the best of health - diagnosed with cancer 8 years ago (absolutely fine now), had a heart problem which was sorted out 3 years ago. He suffers from periods of depression, but is 'OK' at the moment. All of this has a) contributed to his weight gain and b) made him wary of exerting himself (particularly the heart problem which meant that he struggled to even walk upstairs at one point). He spends 3 hours a day driving to and from work, and has quite a stressful job, but is only working 3 days a week at the moment so has quite a lot of 'spare' time.

So - any suggestions for things that he can do to ease himself back in to exercising in a sensible, sustainable way?
Page 4
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 25th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    A beautiful morning, tea and toast in bed watching the Qualifying (we're huge F1 fans), but that was finished by 7.30 as it was coming from Australia. So - we went for a walk!!

It was just fabulous. We're lucky enough to live just yards from the Leeds Liverpool canal, so we walked along the towpath - the birds were singing, there were geese and ducks on the water. We took our cameras and got loads of great photos. We walked further than we've ever gone along the canal before. OH has a pedometer app on his phone, and we walked 5,000 steps out bound and (obviously) another 5,000 home again. And all before 10 o'clock!!!

In the past, just walking from our house to the canal and back (literally no more than 100 yards each way) would have wiped him out for the rest of the day. Now what's he doing? He's down in the garage fixing the car with his brother. And he's on stand by to help me shift some paving slabs that are surplus to requirements and need to go to the tip.

As we were having breakfast at 6.30 this morning, and it was 10 by the time we got home again, we made the decision to have 'brunch' when we got in - bacon (grilled) and eggs (scrambled) - rather than waiting until lunch time. But in the past OH would have suggested bacon butties with a fried egg - and we would still have had something for lunch. Today, that will be us until tea time (well, maybe a cup of tea, but nothing more).

That will hopefully be the first of many such walks. The longest journey starts with a single step - or in this case, 10,000 steps!!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 31st Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Another pound lost - he's now 14st 11lb.

He's just come in from playing 9 holes with his brother - says he was rubbish this time, but personally I see that as a good thing. If you're zigzagging across the golf course taking lots of shots, you walk further and swing your arms more often!!! He still enjoyed it, and that's the main thing.

A bit of a difficult day today - we're meeting his boss and her son for lunch (that's not the difficult bit!), then going to a funeral. It's a man OH was working with, who died of cancer fairly suddenly aged 52. That's the difficult bit. It's bringing a lot of things back up to the surface for us (OH was 50 when he was diagnosed) - but also putting a lot of things in to perspective.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th Apr 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Last week was a challenging week for all the wrong reasons. This week is challenging for all the right reasons - we are on holiday.

He did his 2 fast days on Monday and Tuesday, and we headed off to Mallorca on Wednesday. Lots of walks in the fresh air, lots of seafood salads, but a bit more alcohol than normal. And he played golf this morning. We're only here until Monday, so he'll do his 2 fast days later in the week - he's sensibly not expecting to lose weight this week, but hopefully won't put any on.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 8th Apr 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    We've very quickly got into a fab and (almost) healthy routine - up early, out for a walk before breakfast to watch the sunrise (good for both body and soul), sensible breakfast (real fresh orange juice, scrambled egg), morning spent in the open air (yesterday was at a nature reserve), light lunch, lazy afternoon watching the world go by and drinking coffee. Yesterday things went a little awry and we were having cocktails by 6, followed by a celebration meal (sis-in-law's birthday) and more-than-normal quantities of alcohol.

Today we will be sensible all day.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th Apr 17, 8:55 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Walking has become a Thing. We managed more than 10,000 steps in each of the last 4 days, and (because we did >12,000 yesterday and just over 9,000 5 days ago) averaged more than 10,000 over the last 5 days. Loving it - and we've rediscovered our love of photography. Yes, I know it's all easier when you're on holiday, but we live in a beautiful part of the country so no excuses.

So - home off holiday tomorrow, then walking regularly thereafter. The longer light evenings will help (OH doesn't get in until 6.30), but he's only working 3 or 4 days a week at the moment anyway, so plenty of days available for walking.

And we've decided to give dancing a go - one of my colleagues and her OH go for ballroom dancing lessons at the local college, so I'll be looking further into that when we get home.

Much more sensible re the alcohol intake today, but Mr Spouse has decided to have a couple of weeks without alcohol at all, to make up for the holiday excesses. Don't get me wrong - we're not dancing on tables or singing in the streets, we've just had more than we normally do ('normal' is two glasses of wine a week).
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 12th Apr 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Back to normal after the holiday.

He had fast days on Monday (the day we were travelling) and yesterday, and when he got weighed this morning his weight hadn't changed from before we went away. He's extremely happy about that.

He managed to do >10,000 steps every day of the holiday, including our travelling day (all those long walks at the airport to get to the gate, although I suspect a bit of turbulence mid-flight might have added a few...).

Some big changes in his eating habits - he no longer craves chocolate. We needed to shop when we got in, just to pick up some bread and milk and so on, and later he told me he'd been able to stand in the queue at the checkout without even thinking about popping a bar of chocolate into the basket. His portion control is much improved (if anything, it's me still struggling with the idea that I 'ought' to give him the large portion or the extra potato, or whatever when I dish up. I need to get over that). He will leave food on his plate if he's had enough. And when we were on holiday, and out for meals with his brother and wife, he was the one saying 'we don't need a starter do we?' He's taking much more control over what he eats, and his meal of choice is seafood and salad (it used to be steak and chips).

Getting the exercise in on a work day is proving a challenge - he leaves the house at 6.30am and doesn't get back until 6.30pm, his day involves 3 hours driving and then he's pretty much desk-bound all day. And once he's home, he's knackered. One of his colleagues is also on a health kick, and they're planning to have a walk at lunchtimes, but some days he doesn't even have time to eat lunch, so I'm guessing it's unlikely to happen!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 17th Apr 17, 7:11 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Was at the supermarket this morning. Now that the 5:2 diet is part of our lifestyle, I've noticed that I'm spending much less per week. And as I'm no longer buying rubbish, there are entire aisles that I don't even go down! So - saving time as well as money!!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 18th Apr 17, 3:25 AM
    • 5,100 Posts
    • 25,621 Thanks
    bugslet
    He's doing really well and even on holiday, pretty much stuck to things. As for not craving chocolate.......well jel!

I have similar working hours to your OH, I would leave the house at 6.30and get back at 6, but I get up a bit earlier and leave at 5.45, you do get used to it. It means less time commuting as there is less traffic and I fit a 30-40 minute walk. I also sneak a ten minute walk at lunchtime, so that gives me over 6000 steps by the time I get home, often over 7000.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 20th Apr 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Whoop!! He got weighed this morning and is 14st 9lbs. Only 5lbs off his target weight, or rather target loss - he wanted to lose 2 stone, and he's very nearly there.

Big plans for tomorrow - we're off for a bike ride. Yes, I bought myself a bike!! On nice days when he might have gone out on his bike we've ended up doing something together instead, so it made sense - and the exercise won't do me any harm. In fact I'm planning on using it for work too - it's only 3 miles along the canal path, which is a bit too far to walk there and back in a day (especially as I have stuff I need to carry), but perfectly doable on a bike. I've got a proper old lady one, with a sprung saddle (can't cope with those skinny little ones) and a basket on the front for my stuff.

The clothing situation is getting a bit desperate now - suit trousers, jeans, even underpants are too big for him!! Jumpers that were a snug fit are now hanging loose. Shirts that had been relegated to the back of the wardrobe because they were too small are now back in circulation. He's bought himself a pair of golfing trousers and a couple of tops - trousers were a size 38 (down from 42) and tops were L (rather than XL). He's not wanting to make the big investment in buying suits (he'll need two) until he reaches his target weight, but a) the last few pounds is always the hardest, so that could take longer than he thinks, b) I don't think 5lbs is going to make a huge difference to his waist measurement and c) he needs them now!!!

But I can understand him wanting to wait - it'll be a sort of reward for getting there. Better than cake, anyway!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 21st Apr 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Great day today. We headed off to the golf course first thing this morning (his brother is on holiday) and OH used the driving range (I watched and drank hot chocolate) then he played 9 holes (I got to pull the golf trolley, yay!). A very pleasant start to the day.

We then came home via the doctors, the pharmacy and the hospital (long story), grabbed some lunch, and this afternoon we went out on the bikes. We cycled about 7km - not very far, but as I haven't been on a bike for about 20 years, it was far enough!!

Did I mention how much energy he has? I'm still recovering and he's in the kitchen putting a salad together for tea! We're having our usual Friday night treat - pizza. It used to be a whole pizza each, with lashings of mayonnaise, but now it's half a pizza each with lashings of salad. There might, however, be wine.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 26th Apr 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Things have taken a bit of a nose-dive yesterday and today.

As I mentioned in my first post, he suffers from depression, but has been OK recently. This situation changed yesterday - the world has crashed down around him, he just wants to be alone, and he needs comfort food. Today was meant to be a fast-day, but that's gone out of the window. Such a shame, he's been doing so well. I know a few days of not fasting (so long as he eats sensibly) won't make much of a difference on a global scale, but he's cross with himself which isn't helping his depression. And at least we don't have much in the way of rubbish in the house so if he's looking for comfort food he's limited to half a packet of custard creams...
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 26th Apr 17, 1:22 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 5,414 Thanks
    warehouse
    For commuting along the canal get yourself a spare inner tube in case of punctures, (on a canal towpath they are common), and learn how to change it front and rear. A guy at the office had a puncture on his very first towpath trip.

Alternatively, pay for some puncture resistant tyres which help massively.
    Pants
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 26th Apr 17, 2:41 PM
    • 7,649 Posts
    • 24,944 Thanks
    fairy lights
    And at least we don't have much in the way of rubbish in the house so if he's looking for comfort food he's limited to half a packet of custard creams...
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    What sort of comfort foods does he usually go for?
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 26th Apr 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Chocolate, crisps, chips, Haribo...
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 2nd May 17, 8:24 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    A week since OH's depression came back. It's something we live with, we'll cope.

He decided to just have one fast day last week and try not to feel guilty about it, which I think was the most sensible thing he could do under the circumstances.

This week he's wanting to do 3 fast days, to make up for lost time - I don't think it's a good idea, especially as he was wanting to do them concurrently (he finds it easier to fast when he's at work, as he's busy and doesn't have such easy access to food). We've left things that he'll do two days and see how he feels about a third one. I certainly don't think he should do 3 in a row. And being that hungry really isn't going to help his depression.

Exercise has taken a nose-dive.
    • AirJoe
    • By AirJoe 2nd May 17, 11:41 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    AirJoe
    Just here for another flyby response

I think a lot of people fall into the trap of being too strict with themselves over their diet and consider themselves to have 'failed' for a brief lapse when really they should be looking at the bigger picture. This thread shows evidence of a massive, positive change in lifestyle and a huge amount of weight-loss success and that's the bottom line. The day to day is less important than the overall trend.

Last week your OH needed a holiday from his diet so, having earned it with his success, he took it. No worries. This week it's back to normal. No need to fast an extra day because he's really done nothing wrong. I think I want to reiterate that last point. It is perfectly fine, maybe even HEALTHY, to take a day or two where diet isn't the most important thing. It's not something to dwell on and correct, it's just part of a balanced mindset and lifestyle.

At some point I wonder if your OH might like to read this thread? Only you'll know how he'll react to it but my word, I've found it to be an uplifting read!

It'll be new suits in no time!!!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th May 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    14st 8lb!!!!!!!!!

3lbs off his target weight.

In the end, he just did two fast days this week - he'd decided that if he hadn't lost any weight he would do the third fast day, but if he'd lost some weight he wouldn't. And he had, so he didn't, if you see what I mean.

He's had a week of not doing much exercise - when he's depressed he isn't keen on going outside or being with people. But today he was feeling a bit better, and we had a nice walk by the river in Durham. Didn't make it to 10,000, but hey.

AirJoe - thanks for your lovely response. You're absolutely right, of course. And suit shopping will be happening next weekend.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 8th May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Who are you, and what have you done with my husband??

Bit of a celebration this evening - we bought a bottle of prosecco, and I decided I would get a bag of posh crisps to go with it. OH decided he would get some too - found some he fancied, picked them up, checked the calories on the back, and put them back. As we walked to the checkout, we passed the chocolate display - he pretended he was being pulled towards it by magnets. But didn't buy any.

I'm just amazed.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th May 17, 10:49 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    A beautiful afternoon turned in to a beautiful evening, so after tea I suggested going for a walk. Normally OH is too tired after a day at work, and I would have been quite happy to go on my own. He said he'd been about to suggest a bike ride. So - we got the bikes out and we cycled 3 miles out and 3 miles back, stopping off at a pub on the side of the canal for a swift half.

It's a fast day, so a beer was a bit naughty - but we don't do 'good' and 'naughty', and we don't do feeling guilty. Life is too short.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 10th May 17, 8:29 AM
    • 5,100 Posts
    • 25,621 Thanks
    bugslet
    That's amazing, well done to both of you, him for losing it and you for all the encouragement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

473Posts Today

4,805Users online

Martin's Twitter