Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 13th Feb 17, 1:23 PM
    • 250Posts
    • 301Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Starting again at 27!
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:23 PM
    Starting again at 27! 13th Feb 17 at 1:23 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Some of you may remember I started a diary a few months ago called '6 years to a better future'. Well my life has gone completely pete tong and now i am having to completely start over!

Bit of a history:
    I am 27 and recently just left a very turbulent relationship which lasted 3 years, a lot of verbal and physical abuse. This has meant that I have had to find new rented accomodation which allows pets. I have found somewhere and am moving at the end of the month so thats all sorted

However, i was doing really well on the CC dept repayment front (having got down to a balance of 1k) but am having to put on just under £1500 in moving costs/new appliances etc.

I am a avid user of a spreadsheet and calculating all new bills/living costs now i am on my own. Here is my totals so far:

Household bills (inc rent) 750
    petrol 100
    food 100
    car (finance) 160
    CC 100
    mobile phone 10
    All comes to 1220 (i think i may have missed something off but will check when i get home from work!)
    I get paid a monthly wage of around 1650 so i will have quite a bit 'spare'.

My aim is to put more towards the CC and get that back down again. I really don't want a car on finance anymore, so i will probably buy the rest of my car when it comes to the end of the finance deal which is April 18.

At the moment i can't even think of entering a new relationship however i am worried that my clock is 'ticking' and i would really like to have a family etc and settle down. I would like to take a year at the latest to get used to being alone and doing some personal 'growth' (cringe!) but i definately need it as that relationship really ruined my self esteem and confidence!

To make a little bit more cash i have tried selling a few household bits, I have a sofa in the conservatory which i put on FB and gumtree for 50 but no one seems to want it! which i find really strange, its in great condition just needs the covers washing! gonna have to go lower i think a couple of wall canvas which i put for a tenner each (25 cost new from next) haven't sold either!. I see some right tat being sold and i think why aren't mine selling haha!

Sorry for the ramblings! I will update soon
    Learning to be alone and that its ok!

Tesco Loan - 10600
Page 4
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 27th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    angelpye
    Hi JA, work sounds tough but glad you have leave to look forward to. When the children are off does that mean your services are not required and you get to catch up on admin etc?
    Money stuff all looking positive! Yay to an extra £50 on the CC!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 27th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Hiya Angelpye

Yes that does mean that, however there is not enough 'admin' to last 6 week hols so its going to be very boring!!

By my calculations i should be debt free by November

I do have a car on pcp which ends in 2019 but i am not counting this in my debt totals, do you think i should?

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 27th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    angelpye
    Perhaps, depends if you would find it demotivating. You could see it as your next target. I see cars as debt but I know many don't. Do you have a balloon payment at the end?
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 27th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    yes i do - i think it'll be around 5k. what i was going to do is from Jan 18 start saving the 250 i was putting towards CC debt away for the balloon payment (well to go towards it anyway).

It'll be great when that is paid as that is another 140 for me! but that is years away lol x

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 27th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    angelpye
    I think your plan to save for the balloon payment is a good one. You can then decide if you want to hand the car back and use the money to buy a decent second hand car or own the one you have outright. If you get that money together then the next plan could be looking at paying off car quicker - obviously taking into account any charges for early repayment. I have never bought a car this way (have considered it) so not totally sure how it works.
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 27th Mar 17, 7:22 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Well i think i will keep it as it will only be 4 years old, plus i have been the only owner. I am sick of finance cars now and will keep this one until its old and unrepairable (if that makes sense)

Well this was going to be a NSD but just had a bill from npower for my old house, only £15 but still lol! pooped on my parade

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 27th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    angelpye
    I would love a new car and if it will be only 4 years old then go for it! Will be all the sweeter when you dont have to worry about the balloon payment

I dont count bills as spend days they are not within our control. £15 isn't bad as a final bill though
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 27th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    haha I will take that then as a NSD hope your journey is going well xx

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 27th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    angelpye
    Its all good here, slowly but surely
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 28th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Today has been a small spend day, spent a £1 on some soothers as i woke up with a sore throat. So i don't mind that

New iphone came and i love it! just got to wait a couple of days for my number to transfer over.

Tonight i am going to catch up on walking dead, broadchurch and made in chelsea, my guilty pleasures!

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 30th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Well good news is i got my money back from Match.com so i am well happy about that!

I have spent around £7 today, which i already had in my purse so that was fine. Also had to do car tax, only £30 and i had it in my 'Car Maintenance' pot. I really feel good about money at the moment, i am getting out and about doing things and still paying off 250 off the CC. I think its important to keep a balance, i could pay off more but that would make me miserable!

Put my old iphone on ebay so hopefully will get around £80 for it, if i do then i will round off the CC and pay off 40 - leaving 2100, and the other 40 towards holiday fund

Hope everyone is having a nice evening!

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 6th Apr 17, 6:19 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    I haven't really posted much lately, I have not been so good emotionally wise. Been very down and feeling quite pathetic!

I have a night out with some work colleagues tomorrow and getting all dolled up, not drinking but still should be a good night.

Really not liking this single malarchy! everyone around me is either madly in love or pregnant
    I have rejoined a online (free) dating site, still hidden. But i favourited a man and he looked at my profile and didn't message me i really don't take rejection well and take it very personally! any advice on this??

Money wise I am doing ok, managed to sell my old iphone for £100 however i am keeping this as spends as i need to do things in order to cheer myself up! and easter is an expensive time for meals out etc.
    Work also is ok, as its the hols its very quiet! i have looked in to changing my contract to term time, and it works out i will only lose £100 a month, but will gain so much holiday time!! I know it should be all about getting money etc but the holidays are driving me insane, no work to do!

Hope everyone is doing well

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 18th Apr 17, 6:18 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Well i haven't posted since march! I have royally fluffed up in the finances dept paid off £250 but i have put that back on and more! its stuff for the house but still its going up not down!

I am also changing my contract at work which will mean less money, so after July i won't be able to throw as much at it as i had hoped

I am so skint at the moment and i got extra money because i sold my old phone, it feels like such a long month! has it been a 5 weeker or something?!

Payday is next tuesday so i am lying low until then, really need to stick to a budget next month rather than being like 'yeah of course i'll come out!'

Argghhh!

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 2nd May 17, 8:34 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Hi Everyone!

Been a little while since i have posted, things aren't great money wise at the moment, my CC seems to be creeping up and not going down!

I have decided to apply for a loan to pay off my car and finance and just have 1 repayment. I know consolidation loans rarely work but i am going to be super strict, once paid the CC is going and no more finance is getting applied for. I will put the money i have extra and give it to my parents to save for me.

So i was paying £140 pm for my car, plus £200 off the cc. With the loan i will be repaying £176pm over 5 years. Although this is a long time its a lower payment which is manageable for me. I can also repay, so i will probably round the payment off to £200 a month.

Work is super busy and is becoming quite stressful, however i am going on holiday in 19 days so that is whats getting me through! i have my spends already saved

Hope everyone's doing well!

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 3rd May 17, 4:27 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    wellylass89
    hello Jacko.. aint been around for a while so just catching up.. sorry to read you were feeling lonely, I must admit I have been finding things really hard lately, so hard in fact I went to see my today first time in 9 months! She really seems to help and I know things will be ok..

Sorry to hear things aint great money wise atm at least being able to take out the loan has reduced the pressure a bit.

Welly x
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 3rd May 17, 5:48 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Hi Welly,

Sorry to hear your also having a tough time! must be something in the water eh!

Yes loan all approved and i have just paid off cc and car finance so that's good. I also had a little extra left over so i have put that into savings pots

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 19th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Hi Everyone!

Wow i haven't posted since May, time is flying by!!

Let me fill you in on what's been happening over the last couple of months. I have picked up a 2nd job - only 2 evenings a week in a restaurant but its extra money, hopefully should work out an extra £150 a month i am hoping, plus tips which so far i've been getting about £25 every 2 weeks

I am still full time at my other job, but i have just reduced my contract to term time so I have just started the summer hols (5 and half weeks off!) and its sad to say i am already bored lol!!

I have a weekend away in couple of weeks to amsterdam which I am really looking forward to, got some euros yesterday for this and the rate is shocking! £117 for 120euros! I will get some more next week also when its payday.

I am in a good place mental health wise, decided to come off the anti-depressants which i started in Feb which were originally used to help me sleep. However, i feel in a much better place and no longer need them I still battle with the loneliness sometimes but i am getting used to that and feeling stronger everyday!

I have lost my way a little money wise and have just sat and worked out my spreadsheet again and updating my new wages etc. Some of my bills will be going down from August so that frees up another £50 a month which is great. Due to my car needing new brake pads I had to put £130 on my CC and my balance is now £300/£500limit - this was not meant to happen as i took out a loan to pay off my CC and my car finance. I have planned to pay off £100 a month though and do the rounding up thing each week (if you know what that means lol) so hopefully will have that cleared soon! Also going to give my parents the CC for safe keeping.

I really need to start saving, and this is what i struggle with as i just never have left over money i am going to plan even to just put £25 a month away to start with until the cc is paid, and i have started using the money jar again and put any £1's/50ps left over from my purse/tips in there - already have £10 which is good

Love life is pants, ex is still around and for a couple of weeks I was toying with the idea of getting back together, he's finally admitted he is an alcoholic and is seeking rehab - but i just cannot go back there and need to move on. I do like someone however and was seeing him a couple of months ago, he then ditched me for someone else but that didn't work out so now we are spending time together, as friends though i don't get any vibes he wants more. I am just happy for the company at the moment. I do feel though i have an issue with picking men who just don't treat me right, whether that says something about my self-esteem i don't know

Anyways, enough ramblings! i am going to read a book in the sunshine!
    Amy x

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 5th Aug 17, 5:58 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    I am having the worst week possible!! they say it comes in threes well it sure has done!

1. Letter from estate agent with tenancy renewal contract and requesting £114 fee for the privilege!
    2. Ex partner was harrassing me and broke in to my back garden and done some damage - had to call the police and he was issued a warning.
    3. my dog is ill and had to take him to vets this morning which cost £100

definitely feeling it this week! money is very bleak. I got paid from my 2nd job yesterday which was £208 so that has covered the tenancy fee - i have increased it to a 12 month contract however as i am not willing to pay that fee of £114 every 6 months! I have now set up a direct debit of £10 a month to save for this next year. I had to put vet bill on CC as if i had used the extra money i had it would of wiped me out and i don't get paid until 25th!

It really does feel like i can't catch a break at the moment. I am being good with money however, not wasting it at all. I am meal planning which is keeping my food budget down

My 2nd jobs gives me tips which any £1's/£2's and 50ps i get go into my jar - already have £28 saved so i will put that towards the CC. I am hoping some extra shifts come up for extra money

Love life is on standby, not on any dating websites/apps - just going with the flow. I have a male friend who i see on a weekly basis and we have been more than friends in the past but i am not getting any romantic vibes from him - which i am OK with as its nice to have company.

Well i hope everyone else is having a good week!!

Tesco Loan - 10600
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,564Users online

Martin's Twitter