Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 13th Feb 17, 1:23 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 274Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Starting again at 27!
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:23 PM
    Starting again at 27! 13th Feb 17 at 1:23 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Some of you may remember I started a diary a few months ago called '6 years to a better future'. Well my life has gone completely pete tong and now i am having to completely start over!

Bit of a history:
    I am 27 and recently just left a very turbulent relationship which lasted 3 years, a lot of verbal and physical abuse. This has meant that I have had to find new rented accomodation which allows pets. I have found somewhere and am moving at the end of the month so thats all sorted

However, i was doing really well on the CC dept repayment front (having got down to a balance of 1k) but am having to put on just under £1500 in moving costs/new appliances etc.

I am a avid user of a spreadsheet and calculating all new bills/living costs now i am on my own. Here is my totals so far:

Household bills (inc rent) 750
    petrol 100
    food 100
    car (finance) 160
    CC 100
    mobile phone 10
    All comes to 1220 (i think i may have missed something off but will check when i get home from work!)
    I get paid a monthly wage of around 1650 so i will have quite a bit 'spare'.

My aim is to put more towards the CC and get that back down again. I really don't want a car on finance anymore, so i will probably buy the rest of my car when it comes to the end of the finance deal which is April 18.

At the moment i can't even think of entering a new relationship however i am worried that my clock is 'ticking' and i would really like to have a family etc and settle down. I would like to take a year at the latest to get used to being alone and doing some personal 'growth' (cringe!) but i definately need it as that relationship really ruined my self esteem and confidence!

To make a little bit more cash i have tried selling a few household bits, I have a sofa in the conservatory which i put on FB and gumtree for 50 but no one seems to want it! which i find really strange, its in great condition just needs the covers washing! gonna have to go lower i think a couple of wall canvas which i put for a tenner each (25 cost new from next) haven't sold either!. I see some right tat being sold and i think why aren't mine selling haha!

Sorry for the ramblings! I will update soon
    Learning to be alone and that its ok!

Tesco Loan - 10600
Page 2
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 4th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    angelpye
    Sorry you have had a bad time of it today but you know its just part of the process - although knowing that doesn't help in the moment. Great idea to make contact with old friends, something to hopefully look forward to!

Baking sounds like a great way to spend some time! And maybe investigate hobbies where you might meet new people? I am happy to go to the cinema on my own and even travel or out for dinner... this took some time but I just got to a point where I thought I will be damned if I am going to miss out on things I enjoy just because I am single. I notice when I go to the cinema on the cheap night we have here there are loads of people on their own so others must have the same mindset too - which makes me feel even more inclined to fly solo for these things.
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 5th Mar 17, 2:03 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    ooh you are brave! I really struggle being by my self and could never imagine going to the cinema/out for dinner alone! i struggle going to the supermarket alone lol.

I will get there, its a bit like grieving i suppose.

I went food shopping today and despite having a list still spent £4 over! although i have enough meat/food to last for a long time now which is good

Overloaded the washing machine today and now its omitting a burning smell and the clothes smell burnt too! hoping it will settle, thankfully its under warranty still so may need to call someone out.

Out for a carvery later and parents are paying, really need to reign in next week, i am hoping to do at least 5 NSDs

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 5th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    angelpye
    I have 9 years on you and i think as I have got older I have got a bit more confident and a bit to hell with it attitude. An abusive relationship attacks your self esteem so you are going to be a bit more fragile than you would normally be - I realise some people would never go to the cinema alone anyway. I am happy being on my own most of the time and don't want to miss out on stuff so I put a facade on of confidence and go and do it...fake it until I make it!

B@gger about the washing machine! Don't tell them you overloaded it but do call them out. My machine was written off a few months ago as kept boiling my clothes and they said it was a fire hazard...luckily I had forgotten to cancel my insurance for it and got a brand new one for free!

Hope you have a lovely time with your parents, nice to have lunch together
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 5th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    well today has been quite a success - due to downsizing i have lots of things to sell, managed to sell:

xbox 360 + dvds/books = £28.92 music magpie
    canvas' x 5 = £35
    Floor lamp = £25

Going to put all this towards CC. Dad paid for dinner which was lovely, i also gave him my CC to stop my unnecessary spending

AngelPye - I would love to be like that, maybe one day i will be brave too . I have just put another load on (lighter this time) so fingers crossed the clothes come out nicer! if not then i will phone them tomorrow and book someone to come out. Definitely won't tell them i overloaded it lol x

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 5th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    angelpye
    Just stay around it when its on so you can check on it. Might just be the weight made something rub or something. I am no expert! Ha!

Well done on the selling, always admire peoples motivation as just don't ever seem to get round to it myself even though have loads to go!

Hope you have a nice evening. Watching Call the Midwife here - love the innocence of it
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 5th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    I am watching call the midwife too! i love it

Hmm i am a stickler for clutter lol if i don't need it it goes! it is quite an effort though arranging delivery/collection etc. You get some right cheeky !!!!!!s as well who don't want to pay hardly anything for good items.

Really must sort my lunch for tomorrow as i won't do it in the morning. Do you have a diary Angelpye?

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 5th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    angelpye
    Yes, I am the Marching Minimalist diary. I think its a few pages down atm.

That was such a sad episode! It is a lovely sunday evening show to watch. Nice and calm.

Do you Facebook sell or ebay?
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 6th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Today has been a non spend day yay!

there is a down side to selling things on facebook its all the organising and waiting in/delivering things!!

I spoke to water company today who have agreed to put my bill down to £14 - I complained because they put my bill at £29 for just me living in a one bedroom house! Just got to try and get my other bills down now - Hoping to get all my bills down to around 750 (maybe wishful thinking!)

Have a good evening

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 6th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    angelpye
    Well done on the NSD!
    EF £0/£4200
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 7th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    wellylass89
    Well done on the NSD! Great they have knocked your bill down.. that's the one thing about living on your own I've found bills are hard work on one wage.. but of course it's possible

Welly x
    • monz
    • By monz 7th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 6,780 Thanks
    monz
    Hi

I am 32 with a little boy. Enjoy being on your own, does not mean being lonely, sign up for things can join gym at a low price !14.99, go out with friends. Be comfortable with yourself.

You can do it x
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    Florida: 15th July 2017 save for spending $2,370 exchanged pre election: June to July savings after election £350/500
    house deposit £5,506.25/10,000
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 7th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Thanks everyone

Today will be a another NSD too, trying to see if i can do as many as possible this week. Payday isn't until the 25th.

Delivered a couple of my FB things today in and around work, so actually made £50 today.

Got someone coming to collect a lamp tonight for £20. I have a holiday in may with family so i think i will put this towards holiday spends instead of CC.

Hope everyone is having a good day xx

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 8th Mar 17, 10:19 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Hi Everyone

Today is going to be another NSD so thats fab I did buy my work friend her birthday presents last night of amazon - but that came out of my christmas/birthday fund and was £10 so thats all sorted.

As i have just moved in to my new place i set up broadband with BT - as a reward for joining they are sending me a £100 gift card.

So happy about that as it means i can use that for the final bits i need for my new home

I feel i am doing well with the money at the moment, more so in managing it than paying the CC of right now.

All in good time! have a good day everyone

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 8th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    angelpye
    Sounds like you are making real progress with money! Take my hat of to you! Finding it quite motivational and feeling the urge to start selling very soon.

Too late for Broadband but do check cash back websites for online stuff. The offers can be really good and I had quite a lot of success in the past. Just started using one again and just see it as bonus money as sometimes it doesn't track properly but when it does its a little boost.
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 8th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Hi AngelPye

I use quidco for cashback sometimes but found it such hardwork to track things, and then when i do the retailer comes back and says no! I might try topcashback instead?

Tesco Loan - 10600
  • quidco Company Representative
    Sorry to hear about that. There are a few things that you can do to help make sure that your cashback always tracks.

Always make sure that your browser cookies are enabled and you have any pop-up or Ad-blocker disabled.

I have a dedicated browser that I use for all of my purchases done through Quidco and I find that this is really reliable so if possible you can try installing another browser and use that exclusively for Quidco purchases.

We do also have a full tracking guide on our site that a lot of our members find useful so I'll link that below for you.

http://www.quidco.com/help/1435/

Kind regards,
    James
    Quidco Representative.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of quidco. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 12th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Ok well it hasnt been NSD's this weekend but none of it has gone on the CC so that's good

filled the car up and used £20 of petrol fund - still £40 left to last til 25th. £20 will last me all week so i should imagine i will have some left. I am going to put that towards holiday spends.
    Also did weekly food top up - again used food fund and took £20 out, £30 left in food money.

Getting money out for food/petrol is the best thing i've ever done, no more scrimping for that at the end of the month!

Happy weekend everyone!

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 12th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    angelpye
    Hi, sounds like all on track! Hows the new home? Does it feel like yours yet? I have a petrol fund in my YNAB budget and it really makes a difference. Its looking like I have £20 that will be left by end of month so will hopefully be able to reallocate that to part fun part debt busting
    EF £0/£4200
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 15th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Hi Angelpye,

Yes its starting to feel like home now i am actually quite enjoying living on my own.
    Monday/Tuesday have both been NSD's which is great. Today however hasn't been. I spent £2.85 on postage for something i sold on ebay, and £5 on a bunch flowers/chocolates for my manager at work who is rather stressed at the moment! me and my workmate chipped in a fiver each.

Tomorrow should be another NSD

Counting down until payday now which is the 25th.

Tesco Loan - 10600
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 15th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    angelpye
    In my book postage for ebay sales don't count but how lovely you are to your manager! Bet it cheered her up, always nice to be on the receiving end of a little treat

Glad you are settled and enjoying it, amazing how we grow into a new place quite quickly and all of a sudden it is 'home'. Really pleased for you
    EF £0/£4200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,768Posts Today

6,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin