Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,057Posts
    • 10,117Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....
    • 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed.... 12th Feb 17 at 9:56 AM
    67,031.92. Seriously. 67,031.92. That is a SCARY number. I can't believe our debt has peaked (and it is the peak, I am determined) at this level.

Our light bulb moment actually happened a few months back, but it's taken since then of wrangling utilities and carefully watching out income/outgoings (using You Need a Budget) to really figure out where we were overspending and how the monthly shortfall of anything from 200-1,000+ was happening.

We have literally nothing to show for this debt, it's just crept up over the past 8 years or so, and has always been at manageable levels, but back in October we realised we were spending more on credit cards each month than we were paying off.

We committed that cardinal sin of taking out a consolidation loan, but alongside it we looked really carefully at our spending over the next couple of months, budgeted realistically for what we spend and have (I think) picked off all the easy 'low hanging fruit' of budget cuts and really identified why we were overspending.

The main reason for the debt is, erm, me. Not that I'm the biggest spender (neither of us are amazing), but because I am self employed with a hugely variable income and basically worked out our budgets on the basis I would always earn my 'best' month's income. Which was, with hindsight, maybe a TINY bit deluded.

The aim of this diary is to keep us on track with actually reducing our debt every single month, not doing it in a three steps forward, two (or four) steps back sort of way. Having sat down and put our numbers into the whatsthecost site, it appears that we are looking at 7 years and 1 month of repayments to clear the debt (and that's assuming we can get rid of the shortfall showing below). I REALLY want to reduce this term as that just seems bonkers.

SOA below, with a couple of explanatory notes.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 3
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 250 (variable, but this is the minimum I have earned in any month in the last 5 years)
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2711.86
    Benefits................................ 192
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3153.86

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 698
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 174 (including overpayment for a period when we messed up during a house move 18 months ago and didn't restart the direct debit for the new property. Will drop by a little under 50 after either March or April, can't remember which)
    Electricity............................. 52 (gas and electricity are one combined DD, I haven't checked the exact split but the total is 104)
    Gas..................................... 52
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 104 (also including a debt from previous property, but I think this will be included for another 6 months or so. I'm not sure what our actual usage is)
    Telephone (land line)................... 18.5 (includes internet)
    Mobile phone............................ 85 (45 for my contract, which I use for work as well, 40 for DH)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in landline cost)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 520 (Includes 40 for one lot of school lunches. I am REALLY struggling to reduce this, but feel I could and should be able to!)
    Clothing................................ 100 (growing children, plus see notes below re clothes)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 225 (90% DH commuting costs)
    Road tax................................ 16.27
    Car Insurance........................... 25.22
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 50
    Childcare/nursery....................... 70 (this will disappear in April as child 3 gets free 15 hours)
    Other child related expenses............ 81.85 (music/swimming lessons x2, cubs and beavers, National Trust membership as they love visiting them)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 27.07
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 16.26
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 90
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 135
    Holiday................................. 75
    Emergency fund.......................... 25
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2707.29

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 210000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 800
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 210800

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 173733...(698)......3.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 173733....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................6880.21...156...... .0
    MBNA...........................9614.71...98....... .0
    Parental loan..................20000.....0.........0 (see notes below)
    Tesco loan.....................21000.....377.......10
    Total unsecured debts..........57494.92..631.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,153.86
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,707.29
    Available for debt repayments........... 446.57
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 631
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -184.43

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 210,800
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -173,733
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -57,494.92
    Net Assets.............................. -20,427.92

Created using the SOA calculator at stoozing.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Regarding the (relatively) high clothes expense, it is a combination of 3 growing children (8, 6 and 3), plus the fact that my job is in the fashion industry, and as a self employed person I need to have the right sort of 'look' in order to get work (think along the lines of a self employed personal shopper - people need to see you looking good in order to book with you).

The parental loan was for a house deposit. The parent in question has no idea about our debts. She is not desperate for the money back and isn't charging us interest, but has asked us to save 150-200 every month into a savings account and then once we've saved a decent sum to either repay them or 'reborrow' it for work on the house (basically they want us to be able to make repayments if they suddenly need the extra income, but meanwhile are happy for us to benefit from it. I am not saving the money while our debt payments are so high - we are hoping to have paid enough off that if the parent ever needs it that we can reborrow it and pay them back). This isn't great, but realistically I think the best solutions is to treat it as the lowest priority for snowballing - once we have paid back the other debts we will throw the entire 630+ at this debt.

So, there is a freaking enormous shortfall every month, which is somewhat depressing. Most months it is covered by the fact that I earn more than my 'bare minimum', but it is those months where it isn't covered that the debt creeps up again, and I am a total disaster for going 'oh well, we've spent on the credit card, we might as well keep going' and buying more clothes or something for the house - this is probably a significant proportion of our debt problem.

We have managed to get rid of the balance on the one credit card we were spending on, so the remaining ones are both on 0% deals (although one expires in September). I have not cut up the remaining credit card, because we don't have an emergency fund in case of eg boiler repairs, but it has not been used for all of a month, and I hope to keep it that way.

A DMP or similar isn't really on my horizon right now - I feel like we should be able to make the cuts to make our budgets balance, and I am optimistic that as my income goes up (when I can work more as child 3 starts school) that we will be able to make overpayments.

My plan for now is:
    1) Try to wiggle those budget numbers around enough that we don't have a shortfall any more.
    2) Make a plan for any months where I make extra - do I use it for an emergency fund, as a fund to cover future months' shortfalls, to throw money at the debt to try to reduce minimum payments in case of future 'shortfall' months?
    3) Try to make more money. Not quite sure how this will work as I am largely limited to working around DH's working hours (I work evenings and weekends and the 5hrs childcare per week we are paying for for child 3).

Now that's all down in black and white I am feeling a combination of relieved (to be clear on the numbers) and immensely stressed (by the semi-regular 180+ shortfall).

Onwards and downwards (for the debt, not me)!

edited to add: the original 67,031.92 figure was based on the total figure for the Tesco loan, which included all interest payable over the entire term of the loan. I have updated the debt figure in my signature and in all posts going forward as at 4th June 2017 to reflect that actual current debt balance rather than the balance plus interest over the lifetime of the loan. This has knocked 7,911.62 off the debt figure, but means that each monthly payment will have the interest for that month deducted from it, so it won't affect the DFD if I don't make overpayments.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 04-06-2017 at 2:58 PM.
Page 79
    • Savertobe
    • By Savertobe 7th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Savertobe
    Well done on the spending front. 37 quid looks like a winner. Going food shopping myself now!
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 7th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Ooh, good news. Just phoned HMRC - you might remember there was a problem with my 30 hours childcare application. I assumed I had missed the chance to get it for this term as the letter asking me to call came while we were away so I didn't call before the 31st August deadline. This meant I would be liable to everything over 15 hours childcare at the preschool. But HMRC said that because I applied before the deadline I am still eligible, so just need to confirm that with the preschool and fingers crossed all will be well. It means I won't be spending an extra 140 a month to cover the extra hours on top of the free 15 hours everyone gets, which takes a tiny bit of the huge pressure off for this month! Hurrah!
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: 58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: 55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 3,687 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    That's brilliant! 140 is useful money!
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 7th Sep 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    I so nearly didn't bother phoning, as I assumed the problem would be that I needed to do my tax return before I could be confirmed as earning enough and that it wouldn't be quick enough to kick in for this term. Always worth checking these things!
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 7th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Glad you phoned HMRC was going to suggest that you did because you had made your claim before the deadline.

I also wanted to say how much I have enjoyed your diary and it is great to see how much progress you have made.

The debt free journey is very much a process and you will learn how to save money to suit you and your family, but it takes quite a lot of trial and error. I think you are now at the point where you have trimmed all the easy stuff, but you have now got to challenge yourself a bit harder.

So, a few suggestions from me:

Sort your phones out- we only pay SIM only (10 and 12 per month for our two phones) You are paying 70 a month more - think what you could do with 70 a month extra. I am guessing they are still in contract, but ring your provider to see if there is any way of reducing the cost now, if not diary the month before your contract ends to cancel and switch to SIM only.

If your phone is used largely for work, shouldn't it be a business expense ?

Food Bill - look critically at what you are buying. We all get into the habit of buying the same things. I was regularly spending a tenner a week on soft fruit, a couple of packs of blueberries, grapes, raspberries and strawberries. I have stopped buying them now and have replaced with cheaper fruits, apples, pears, raisins in my cereal, tinned mandarins etc. You seem to buy quite a lot of luxury foods, seeds, avocados etc. You could cut these out for a while, particular while you have the free plums and apples.

I also work my meal plans around Aldi Super 6 and L!dls weekend.

I pad out meals with cheap tins of beans ( think you probably already do this) However my magic incredient is tinned potatoes- horrid on their own but gorgeous in spicy curries, patatas bravas etc.

I also pad out salads with grated carrots and home grown herbs

I use feta, and mozzarella cheese as cheap alternatives for lunchbox salads

Not sure whether you would use chorizo, but adds cheap flavour to lots of dishes.

You also need to think critically about some of your other outgoings, the national trust, Netflix and your audio book subscription are all nice to have, rather than essential. Try cancelling them for a month and see if you really miss them ? You might be surprised and it might spur you on to find free alternatives. You could always rejoin if you find that you really miss them.

I also question the 150 for entertainment, you just can't afford this for this month and will be effectively be increasing your debt if you spend money on this you don't have. Could you not try and have a family challenge to only spend 20 per week or better still nothing ?

As I said this is all trial and error, as you work out what you can do without and what you can't. Hope this helps and will keep reading with interest to see how you get on
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 7th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    The other thing I forgot to mention was gifts. We stopped all gift buying for anyone other than family. I just let people know that I was going to do it in advance. You could just say to your friends that you are saving up for the extension so are cutting back, and of course you expect them to do the same. I actually found that most people were pretty relieved as we had all got into rounds of buying each other gifts, which just added pressure to us all.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 7th Sep 17, 7:31 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Well it looks like the Audible subscription might be able to go - our library seems to have this online audiobook lending thing, and DH is going to investigate on Saturday with the DCs.

Didn't get to speak to preschool today to confirm funding thing, but will pop in tomorrow to sort it out. Assume that if HMRC are okaying it that it's going to be fine though!

Ordered a lunchbox for DC1 today so I can start packed lunches next week for him too.

More website stress today. Slightly losing the will to live with it and it's really affecting my mood.

BUT did cheer myself up by decluttering and tidying my entire dining room, which is now a lovely peaceful haven - it's where I do my yoga in the morning, so I really get extra benefit when it's calm and clean and lovely. Rumours that I sat and meditatively sharpened pencils and organised my DCs' craft supplies have been grossly exaggerated.

to do today
    1. packed lunch for DC3. Done.
    2. clean the dining room. Done.
    3. bake sourdough. Done.
    4. make pudding for family meeting tonight. Done. Really didn't turn out well,
    but the DC were uncomplaining. Enough ice cream and anything is edible

5. make a quiche. half done, need to make filling tomorrow.
    6. plan dressing up costume with DC3 for next week - would quite like not to spend any money on this, so need to think it through. Not done.
    7. Balance the couple of credit card spends I have already made this month. Done. Depressing but not horrifying.

to do this week
    1. plan DS1's birthday party. Done, invitations out.
    2. get the house tidy and decluttered ready for new term at school. Not exactly done ready for the new term, but at least I've made a start.
    3. start a list of camping supplies that need replacing/repairing for next year - will be much better to do that in stages over the winter than in one big spend next May.
    4. have a look at last month's food spends and see where improvements can be made.
    5. make some packed lunch supplies and freeze for DC3, who will now have lunch at preschool 3 days a week.

to do this month
    1. keep the total spend for the month below 3,500 (last month was miles better than the previous average 3,900, going to try to repeat the feat).
    2. get my new website finished and launched (crosses fingers, toes and eyes).
    3. just work as much as possible and make some money back to recover the enormous shortfall that faces us this month!
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 8th Sep 17, 5:03 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 30: Day 6

Morning! Not much planned for today as have DC3 with me. Lots of work to get on with when DH gets home from work later though.

Feeling a bit rough this morning, headache and runny nose. Have decided I am not at home to having a cold. Mind over matter people.

to do today
    1. finish the quiche.
    2. declutter and clean the sitting room.
    3. plan dressing up costume with DC3 for next week- he wants to be a grasshopper. sigh.
    4. clear some work admin stuff.
    5. book trampolining for DC1's party.

to do this week
    2. get the house tidy and decluttered ready for new term at school. Not exactly done ready for the new term, but at least I've made a start.
    3. start a list of camping supplies that need replacing/repairing for next year - will be much better to do that in stages over the winter than in one big spend next May.
    4. have a look at last month's food spends and see where improvements can be made.
    5. make some packed lunch supplies and freeze for DC3, who will now have lunch at preschool 3 days a week.

to do this month
    1. keep the total spend for the month below 3,500 (last month was miles better than the previous average 3,900, going to try to repeat the feat).
    3. just work as much as possible and make some money back to recover the enormous shortfall that faces us this month!
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 8th Sep 17, 7:45 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Some real positives in your posts...great going on only spending 37 on your food shop and the 140 for child care. Good job also on the audio book library. You are doing so well. But I can also see you are doing a lot...I get exhausted just reading them lol. Do try and slow down every now and then and just relax. A little bit of self TLC goes a long way.
    HSBC CC 7150.15 - 6524.68 ~~~ Barclay Card 7894.74 7846.32 ~~~ MBNA 1 10382.67 - 10272.67 ~~~ MBNA 2 7214.28 - 7062.94 ~~~Argos 202.05 - 100.05 ~~~ HSBC Loan 399.27 - 0 ~~~ Hitachi Loan 24.12 - 0 ~~~ Car Loan 14745.60 - 14008.32
    TOTAL 48012.88 - 45814.98 (Paid 2197.90 so far)
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 17,918 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I was just going to say well done for resolving that call with HMRC. Is that a one-month unexpected boost or a term thing?

Re your camping supplies - I am currently checking the GoOutdoors web pages to see what they have for either clearance or end of season. This month is a tad early but I know what I am after and I don't want to pay full price. There are a few small tents and groundsheets for specific tents at the moment but between now and March I expect what I'm looking for to come up. Is that a similar approach to yours? - I know what I want and I know I have to get it. I just don't want to do a one-off compare and just take that price.

I saw a cold box that connects to a car power socket at the end of August in our local hardware store, mentioned it to husband and he bought it! - We're going to use it for weekend camping but I'm going to put my items for the freezer/ fridge in it for my supermarket shopping in the meantime so it is in the boot, ready to plug in. It's meant to keep stuff 15 degrees below ambient temperature, and you still have the option with freezer packs to start you off. I hope it works OK.

We already had a gas camping "fridge" but it is too big for our small tent (and they are close to 200 while the power-box was 30!).

You are welcome to have a little vent re the web-site BTW - it does seem to have been going on for a while. You know we will empathise, even if we can't help
    Last edited by Suffolk lass; 08-09-2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 5,465 behind where I should be
    Save 12k in 2017 #64 - 9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is 11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of 3,600 3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 8th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,736 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    You're doing brilliantly..keep plugging away..

x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 750 225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 8th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    emmie26
    Had a slight catch-up but you are so busy it is hard to keep up with what's going on.
    My food bill is an ongoing battle and will continue to be so for the rest of time I think, but hey ho, life would be boring without a few challenges.
    You are doing great, even if you are just posting and making sure you are aware of your spending I really think that is half the battle.

Total Debt: 24,359.79 19,963
    debt reduced by 18%
    Debt free date: May 2019
    • Raspberry Queen
    • By Raspberry Queen 8th Sep 17, 11:24 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Raspberry Queen
    Regarding the Colombian bean stew, I'm pretty sure you can make the suggested side of fried plantains, with green or green-tipped bananas instead of the plantains. That would be a cheap and interesting side.

Also, since you seem to be into nutrition, you could sprout the dried beans before cooking them. It doesn't take much time, but requires organisation. You soak them for 8-12 hours in lukewarm water about 3 days before you intend to cook them, then rinse them in lukewarm water 2-3 time per day. Sprouting beans and seeds drastically increases the vitamin content, makes them more digestible, and decreases the cooking time.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 9th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    I was just going to say well done for resolving that call with HMRC. Is that a one-month unexpected boost or a term thing?

Re your camping supplies - I am currently checking the GoOutdoors web pages to see what they have for either clearance or end of season. This month is a tad early but I know what I am after and I don't want to pay full price. There are a few small tents and groundsheets for specific tents at the moment but between now and March I expect what I'm looking for to come up. Is that a similar approach to yours? - I know what I want and I know I have to get it. I just don't want to do a one-off compare and just take that price.

I saw a cold box that connects to a car power socket at the end of August in our local hardware store, mentioned it to husband and he bought it! - We're going to use it for weekend camping but I'm going to put my items for the freezer/ fridge in it for my supermarket shopping in the meantime so it is in the boot, ready to plug in. It's meant to keep stuff 15 degrees below ambient temperature, and you still have the option with freezer packs to start you off. I hope it works OK.

We already had a gas camping "fridge" but it is too big for our small tent (and they are close to 200 while the power-box was 30!).

You are welcome to have a little vent re the web-site BTW - it does seem to have been going on for a while. You know we will empathise, even if we can't help
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Good idea to keep checking back! Really need to get on and write a list today.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 9th Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 30: Day 7

How pleasing, made it through the week without a top up shop, so our official food spend for week 1 of this month was 41.27, which is pretty good. Maybe I'm finally getting better at this budgeting lark! I know this coming week will be more expensive as we're running out of loads of household things, but I'm aiming for c.75 (this is only a four-food-shop month, so in theory I could spend up to 90, but since things are so tight I'm going to try to keep it down).

Finally made some website progress yesterday, I'm beginning to feel like it might actually happen now, which is a huge relief (I had been wondering whether I was going to need to start from scratch with someone else). It's going to mean some business spending on things like new business cards, but I have been putting by a bit of money to cover it.

to do today
    1. declutter and clean the sitting room.
    2. hours and hours and hours of work on the website
    3. plan dressing up costume with DC3 for next week.
    4. book trampolining for DC1's party.
    5. menu plan and mysupermarket for next week's food.

to do this week

to do this month
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Sep 17, 9:06 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Love how you causually drop in that you've been putting aside some money for business cards etc. Woop woop.

Good luck with the website stuff.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400)
    2017 July : 36,800 8/100 Aug: 36,411.85 8/100 Sep: 35,945.66 10/100 Oct: 35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 9th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Well done on me on getting the monthly outgoings down by 400. That's fantastic!
    Re packed lunches - when I glance around the hall at lunchtimes, the packed lunches are often simple but healthy. Cucumber sticks, a few cherry tomatoes, some soft fruit or boxes of raisins. I have found personally, that a pack of small pots ( have recycled the storage pur!e pots for HM pur!e from when they were babies) will give enough space to put some fruit or veg and prevent them from getting squashed while en route to school.

Interesting reading about your child free 6 hours...have yet to achieve this!!
    paydbx #90 475/10,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 3206 in Oct 17
    • Wysiwyg49
    • By Wysiwyg49 9th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 1,477 Thanks
    Wysiwyg49
    I do enjoy reading your thread - don't often post but it's great to see your progress! Just dropped in to say I bought a new washing up bowl today and thought of you!! (It was 99p so maybe not up to scratch )
    GC Oct 92.34/450(?) Sept 408.47/360
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Morning! Just popping in for a quick hello. Spending the entire weekend on website work, absolutely nonstop now it's finally making progress. In theory it'll launch within a fortnight, and I can start to try to get some more traffic to it and (fingers crossed) up my income a bit.

Have just done the menu plan for the week, DH going shopping soon. It's quite a pricey week thanks to running out of everything all at once, but I'm pleased to note that the extras that are exclusively for the lunch boxes only come to 4 this week, so fingers crossed I can keep it around that level - 7.50 a week (compared to school dinner prices) for DC1 would be quite a saving.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 11th Sep 17, 4:55 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 31: Day 2

Wow, what a crazy busy weekend! Lots and lots of website progress, literally worked dawn to dusk both days on it. Have a huge list of other things I was supposed to do that I now need to catch up on, and am knackered, but so pleased to see things are moving forwards. This website is a core part of my plans for this year, to try to up my income gradually and move it into a more sustainable direction (ie not just to be selling my time with clients, which always has a fairly low upper limit because of my availability, and depends on people wanting to see me who are geographically close enough). Fingers crossed.

Horribly expensive food shop yesterday, but we have had a run of cheap ones, and it included some treats for DC1's birthday on Sunday - I normally end up doing party food shopping in a whole separate shop and going completely to town on it, but because he's just having two friends and they are going trampolining, I've bought burgers for my three and the two friends and just a few party snacks, plus will make a cake at some stage. I'll break it down properly in my next post.

Have had to keep spending on the CC this month to keep cash flow free in my account for DDs, as all the hours of work I'm putting in are not client facing and not yet reaping their own income, so I'm still not actually bringing in much money this month. I do have a few bookings, but stressing slightly that things aren't picking up as much as I'd hoped in September. Need to pause and take stock at some stage. I know I will earn enough this month to pay off everything I've spent so far on the CC, but my concern is that I haven't yet got enough guaranteed income to get out of this new loop of spending on CC one month, paying it off again next month but needed to spend on it again. This is a side effect of the slow summer and not being fully aware how my income had to stretch, and I think it will be fine (this is the first year I have been hyper aware of the time for work to pick back up again after the summer, usually I would not be remotely concerned at this stage and just merrily spending hundreds and hundreds while my income was zero).

Argh, enormous spider friend is back. Why does it feel the need to pop out at this time in the morning? Not what my barely awake 4am brain needs!

to do today
    1. catch up on smaller business.
    2. finish contracted work for this week (which will earn me some money, thank goodness).
    3. sew on beaver badges, bleurgh.
    4. batch cook quiche for packed lunches.
    5. cook a chicken to be divided up into several meals (first time we have bought a chicken in about a year! so expensive).
    6. buy wrapping paper for DC1's birthday presents.
    7. buy bits and bobs needed for DC2's costume for school this week.

to do this week
    1. keep the packed lunches coming in on budget.
    2. pick up the social media again, which has fallen very much by the wayside recently, and does help increase income.
    3. ebay old pram now that DC3 has stopped using it. It's got a broken part, but might get 20 for spares as it was a really expensive one originally (nine years ago! One of those 'buy better, buy once' incidents, where we researched obsessively for weeks and ended up with the perfect pram, which has survived all three DC and only broke a couple of weeks ago Good timing, as DC3 is 3.5).

to do this month
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

610Posts Today

4,948Users online

Martin's Twitter