Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 860Posts
    • 7,173Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....
    • 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed.... 12th Feb 17 at 9:56 AM
    67,031.92. Seriously. 67,031.92. That is a SCARY number. I can't believe our debt has peaked (and it is the peak, I am determined) at this level.

Our light bulb moment actually happened a few months back, but it's taken since then of wrangling utilities and carefully watching out income/outgoings (using You Need a Budget) to really figure out where we were overspending and how the monthly shortfall of anything from 200-1,000+ was happening.

We have literally nothing to show for this debt, it's just crept up over the past 8 years or so, and has always been at manageable levels, but back in October we realised we were spending more on credit cards each month than we were paying off.

We committed that cardinal sin of taking out a consolidation loan, but alongside it we looked really carefully at our spending over the next couple of months, budgeted realistically for what we spend and have (I think) picked off all the easy 'low hanging fruit' of budget cuts and really identified why we were overspending.

The main reason for the debt is, erm, me. Not that I'm the biggest spender (neither of us are amazing), but because I am self employed with a hugely variable income and basically worked out our budgets on the basis I would always earn my 'best' month's income. Which was, with hindsight, maybe a TINY bit deluded.

The aim of this diary is to keep us on track with actually reducing our debt every single month, not doing it in a three steps forward, two (or four) steps back sort of way. Having sat down and put our numbers into the whatsthecost site, it appears that we are looking at 7 years and 1 month of repayments to clear the debt (and that's assuming we can get rid of the shortfall showing below). I REALLY want to reduce this term as that just seems bonkers.

SOA below, with a couple of explanatory notes.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 3
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 250 (variable, but this is the minimum I have earned in any month in the last 5 years)
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2711.86
    Benefits................................ 192
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3153.86

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 698
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 174 (including overpayment for a period when we messed up during a house move 18 months ago and didn't restart the direct debit for the new property. Will drop by a little under 50 after either March or April, can't remember which)
    Electricity............................. 52 (gas and electricity are one combined DD, I haven't checked the exact split but the total is 104)
    Gas..................................... 52
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 104 (also including a debt from previous property, but I think this will be included for another 6 months or so. I'm not sure what our actual usage is)
    Telephone (land line)................... 18.5 (includes internet)
    Mobile phone............................ 85 (45 for my contract, which I use for work as well, 40 for DH)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in landline cost)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 520 (Includes 40 for one lot of school lunches. I am REALLY struggling to reduce this, but feel I could and should be able to!)
    Clothing................................ 100 (growing children, plus see notes below re clothes)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 225 (90% DH commuting costs)
    Road tax................................ 16.27
    Car Insurance........................... 25.22
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 50
    Childcare/nursery....................... 70 (this will disappear in April as child 3 gets free 15 hours)
    Other child related expenses............ 81.85 (music/swimming lessons x2, cubs and beavers, National Trust membership as they love visiting them)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 27.07
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 16.26
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 90
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 135
    Holiday................................. 75
    Emergency fund.......................... 25
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2707.29

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 210000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 800
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 210800

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 173733...(698)......3.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 173733....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................6880.21...156...... .0
    MBNA...........................9614.71...98....... .0
    Parental loan..................20000.....0.........0 (see notes below)
    Tesco loan.....................21000.....377.......10
    Total unsecured debts..........57494.92..631.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,153.86
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,707.29
    Available for debt repayments........... 446.57
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 631
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -184.43

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 210,800
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -173,733
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -57,494.92
    Net Assets.............................. -20,427.92

Created using the SOA calculator at stoozing.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Regarding the (relatively) high clothes expense, it is a combination of 3 growing children (8, 6 and 3), plus the fact that my job is in the fashion industry, and as a self employed person I need to have the right sort of 'look' in order to get work (think along the lines of a self employed personal shopper - people need to see you looking good in order to book with you).

The parental loan was for a house deposit. The parent in question has no idea about our debts. She is not desperate for the money back and isn't charging us interest, but has asked us to save 150-200 every month into a savings account and then once we've saved a decent sum to either repay them or 'reborrow' it for work on the house (basically they want us to be able to make repayments if they suddenly need the extra income, but meanwhile are happy for us to benefit from it. I am not saving the money while our debt payments are so high - we are hoping to have paid enough off that if the parent ever needs it that we can reborrow it and pay them back). This isn't great, but realistically I think the best solutions is to treat it as the lowest priority for snowballing - once we have paid back the other debts we will throw the entire 630+ at this debt.

So, there is a freaking enormous shortfall every month, which is somewhat depressing. Most months it is covered by the fact that I earn more than my 'bare minimum', but it is those months where it isn't covered that the debt creeps up again, and I am a total disaster for going 'oh well, we've spent on the credit card, we might as well keep going' and buying more clothes or something for the house - this is probably a significant proportion of our debt problem.

We have managed to get rid of the balance on the one credit card we were spending on, so the remaining ones are both on 0% deals (although one expires in September). I have not cut up the remaining credit card, because we don't have an emergency fund in case of eg boiler repairs, but it has not been used for all of a month, and I hope to keep it that way.

A DMP or similar isn't really on my horizon right now - I feel like we should be able to make the cuts to make our budgets balance, and I am optimistic that as my income goes up (when I can work more as child 3 starts school) that we will be able to make overpayments.

My plan for now is:
    1) Try to wiggle those budget numbers around enough that we don't have a shortfall any more.
    2) Make a plan for any months where I make extra - do I use it for an emergency fund, as a fund to cover future months' shortfalls, to throw money at the debt to try to reduce minimum payments in case of future 'shortfall' months?
    3) Try to make more money. Not quite sure how this will work as I am largely limited to working around DH's working hours (I work evenings and weekends and the 5hrs childcare per week we are paying for for child 3).

Now that's all down in black and white I am feeling a combination of relieved (to be clear on the numbers) and immensely stressed (by the semi-regular 180+ shortfall).

Onwards and downwards (for the debt, not me)!

edited to add: the original 67,031.92 figure was based on the total figure for the Tesco loan, which included all interest payable over the entire term of the loan. I have updated the debt figure in my signature and in all posts going forward as at 4th June 2017 to reflect that actual current debt balance rather than the balance plus interest over the lifetime of the loan. This has knocked 7,911.62 off the debt figure, but means that each monthly payment will have the interest for that month deducted from it, so it won't affect the DFD if I don't make overpayments.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 04-06-2017 at 2:58 PM.
Page 55
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 8th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 7,536 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    There are endless threads on teacher gifts on the Old School thread - lots of advocates for home made, and lots of opposition. I always made cake for my darlings' teachers - it helps that I had good cred for doing the school cake stalls for years - and they always went down well - apparently. Let's face it, they could have put them straight in the bin for all I know but at least they didn't have to give them house room.
    My parents were teachers and guiltily had boxes of ornaments, mugs etc all chosen with care and given with love and not inconsiderable expense but far more than they could ever have used, needed etc.
    I would make brownies or loaf cakes in takeaway foil boxes, or cupcakes or cookies in bags and the darlings would make the labels with pictures. Or consider doing a big tin or box (you could repurpose a begged fruit box from the supermarket and get the darlings to decorate it) of home-baked treats a few days before the end of the term for the darlings to deliver to the staff room. In my experience this is better earlier than later as tins of biscuits, chocolates etc tend to come in from others.
    Last edited by joeyjimbles; 08-07-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 16,431 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Bags of HM fudge? you could make 3-4 batches and then mix them in small cellophane bags with a pretty ribbon and a brown card tag with your children's personal messages to each teacher written on - you could even get the children to help with the non-heat critical parts!

A quick look on Amazing and tags - 1.35 for 50, cellophane party bags 50 for under a fiver - I haven't priced ribbon as my heart believes you will have some in your Christmas wrapping box (you are among the most organised people...)
    Last edited by Suffolk lass; 08-07-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added prices
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save 12k in 2017 #64 - 5617.21/5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is 11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of 3,600 3000 (reduced from Apr) - 58.88/58.33% including stores after July
    My DFD is here
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 8th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Maybe I'll go for something homemade but not perishable. We have jars of homemade jam and marmalade that we've made this year that I could give with a card I suppose?
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: 58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: 55,243.13/1st April 2025
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 8th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Feeling pleased this evening - managed to clear an entire big piece of work off my to do list today, which really takes some pressure off - squeezing in work this week with zero childcare has not been a whole barrel of laughs.

to do today
    1. Make packed lunch for DS1 who is off to a day for gifted primary pupils at the local uni. Done.
    2. Pare down the camping shopping list and research prices/cashback. Not done, but am so short of time that the only thing I'm going to get time to order any time soon is the bed, so it's kind of unintentional money saving!
    3. Continue with contract work. done, with some good progress.
    4. Do some social media, for both businesses. done.
    5 Tidy up a load of follow up emails and messages that have come in this week and been pushed to the back burner while I was in deadline hell. Done.
    6. Think about teacher presents - there are absolutely loads of teachers and TAs, and the DSs always want to do presents for them all. Any ideas? Think I am set on jam/marmalade.
    7. menu plan and my supermarket - we have friends over for lunch tomorrow so need to do food shopping today. Am holding onto my receipts this month and am going to look back when I have a few weeks-worth and see where my key overspends are, to decide whether I just need to up my budget or if there are any more reasonable cuts. Done. Not cheap, but since we have under-spent on entertainment this week and the extra money has been spent on stuff for a barbecue with friends tomorrow, I'm borrowing from peter to pay paul (or entertainment to pay food...).

to do this week
    1. Buy a washing up bowl!!! (bets on whether it happens?!). I tasked DH with this today and he has also failed.
    2. Order camping gear needed.
    3. Clean the house thoroughly one room at a time. [COLOR="teal"]Two rooms down. Ho hum/COLOR]
    4. scribble out some plans for the architect to look at (don't panic, I'm not commissioning him for any work for the near future!). Done.

Aims for July:
    1. Pay some extra off the MBNA card - I'd like this card gone asap.
    2. Pay for camping holiday commitments out of self employed income rather than adding to debt.
    3. Stick to the budget even more closely than in June!
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 9th Jul 17, 7:32 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 22: Day 1

Beautiful morning here, DH has been running and I'm about to do some yoga. Barbecue later, so need to do some tidying and food prep.

Just done my weekly round up and have paid off precisely nothing this week, which is extraordinarily dull. Hopefully next week will be fractionally more interesting.

Also, have realised that this is the furthest we've got into the month (and I do appreciate we're only on the 9th of the month!) that we have ever got without tapping the savings pots for Christmas, car maintenance etc. If we can get through the month with even some of those pots intact it would literally be a first for us. Embarrassing.

to do today
    1. Finish off last piece of contract work due tomorrow.
    2. Prep food for barbecue.
    3. Order camping bed
    4. Order cat scarer thing for front lawn from amazon, and throw in a washing up bowl while I'm on Amazon (have literally not placed an amazon order since I started this hunt, and they have lots of WUBs as add on items)
    5. Do some batch cooking, or if there's no time to do it, work out with DH when one of us can do it this week.

to do this week
    1. Order camping gear needed.
    2. Continue with cleaning the house thoroughly one room at a time.
    3. Make strawberry jam with the big batch of strawberries in the freezer
    4. Order walking boots for me, preferably on sale or with some cashback to take the sting out of it.

Weekly round up
    Last week's debt total 55,821.62
    This week's debt total 55,821.62
    Total paid off last week 0
    Grand total paid off 2,786.51

Aims for July:
    2. Pay for camping holiday commitments out of self employed income rather than adding to debt.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 09-07-2017 at 7:51 AM.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 9th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I'm a teacher and the best present I ever received was a framed picture drawn by my pupil with a message written to me underneath. It was given to me 20 years ago by one of my first pupils. Another touching present was a bunch of dahlias grown by the family. It is kind when families do give gifts and all staff appreciate it but we are just doing our job. That's not meant to sound ungrateful at all but I would hate parents to feel pressured.
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 09-07-2017 at 2:29 PM.
    paydbx #90 325/10,000.
    365 day penny challenge 37.66/667.95
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 9th Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    A bit early for my evening round up today, but I am intending shortly to fall into an epsom salt bath (good for yoga aches, and fairly cheap!) and get an early night with a book for once.

to do today
    1. Finish off last piece of contract work due tomorrow. Done! Hurrah!
    All immediate deadlines met.

2. Prep food for barbecue. done.
    3. Order camping bed. Done.
    4. Order cat scarer thing for front lawn from amazon, and throw in a washing up bowl while I'm on Amazon (have literally not placed an amazon order since I started this hunt, and they have lots of WUBs as add on items). Done. A WASHING UP BOWL IS HEADING TO TOPM HQ PEOPLE.
    5. Do some batch cooking, or if there's no time to do it, work out with DH when one of us can do it this week. No time, but have worked out a plan with DH to get a couple of dishes batch cooked this week.

to do this week
    1. Order camping gear needed. Done - limited it to new self inflating mat for DH and I and a sleeping bag for DC3 (who never had one while in a cot, but will now she is out on a big bed). That's enough to see us through for now, but will need a single bed for DC3 at some stage (she can share the double bed with DH for the camping trip next weekend as I'm not going). Going to see if I can get through without buying any more equipment this summer, but who knows what will break on the first outing of the year.
    3. Make strawberry jam with the big batch of strawberries in the freezer
    4. Order walking boots for me, preferably on sale or with some cashback to take the sting out of it.

Aims for July:
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 22: Day 2

Week 22 - seems crazy to think that we're not a long way off six months on this journey.

Feeling much more on top of things today, thanks to getting a huge chunk of work done on the weekend. So nice to be out of deadline hell (for a few days - will have another fast turnaround piece of work given to me some time this week).

I can't believe none of you have opened the champagne at me ordering a washing up bowl! If you're really lucky I'll post a photo when it arrives.

I have had a genius idea for rearranging our dining room space to make it feel a little less cluttered, so will be doing that today.

to do today
    1. Feed sourdough. Already done!
    2. batch cook soup
    3. meet DS2's new teacher after school.
    4. sew DS1's new badge to his cub uniform.
    5. get ahead with regular work to free up time for fast turnaround stuff later this week.
    6. move dining room around.
    7. Tidy my bedroom.

to do this week
    1. Order camping gear needed. Done - limited it to new self inflating mat for DH and I and a sleeping bag for DC3 (who never had one while in a cot, but will now she is out on a big bed). That's enough to see us through for now, but will need a single bed for DC3 at some stage (she can share the double bed with DH for the camping trip next weekend as I'm not going). Going to see if I can get through without buying any more equipment this summer, but who knows what will break on the first outing of the year.
    3. Make strawberry jam with the big batch of strawberries in the freezer.

Aims for July:
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Jul 17, 8:06 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 16,431 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Is it purple though? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/1b3/Purple-Rectangular-Plastic-Washing-Basin-Kitchen-Mixing/B00CZBSRQQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1499670318&sr=8-13&keywords=washing+up+bowl
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save 12k in 2017 #64 - 5617.21/5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is 11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of 3,600 3000 (reduced from Apr) - 58.88/58.33% including stores after July
    My DFD is here
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    it's grey. I am super-imaginative. And it cost a whopping 3.99, for which I expect some kind of MSE medal.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 10th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 7,562 Posts
    • 39,415 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    A Washing Up Bowl? A real one? No designer tags or labels or logos? Go you!!

The badge needing sewn onto cub uniform made me smile - I remember when I was a girl guide you used to be able to use sewing on badges as part of your stuff towards your Sewing Badge - so Mum suggested I did that - which I did thinking it was a great way of getting another badge and that once I'd got it Mum would go back to sewing them on for me. No chance - once I got the badge she pointed out quite reasonably that clearly I was more than capable of continuing to do them myself!

Well done on limiting the camping equipment purchases too - I had to replace my old self inflating mat at the start of this year too as the old one was literally deflating itself within a couple of hours. The new one is AMAZING!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 12-07-2017 at 3:14 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/450.55 (14/08/17)
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    My washing up bowl is still not here. I know you're all on the edge of your seats about that so I thought I'd best keep you updated.

Dining room rearranging went well, the room feels about twice the size. Although was immediately halved by me filling it with airers as apparently it's going to rain tomorrow and i have a laundry mountain to defeat.

Nothing much to report in the way of MSE news... some new essential oils arrived today that I ordered last week, so I'll be making new scented candles at some point this week, probably on the weekend when DH takes the DCs camping.

to do today
    1. Feed sourdough. Already done!
    2. batch cook soup. Done. Have at least two full meals in the freezer at the minute as well as various frozen veg and stuff - aiming for a teeny weeny top up shop for the last week of the month.
    3. meet DS2's new teacher after school. Done, she seems lovely.
    4. sew DS1's new badge to his cub uniform. Whoops, not done. Must get it done before his meeting tomorrow.
    5. get ahead with regular work to free up time for fast turnaround stuff later this week. Not done amazingly, but a bit of progress.
    6. move dining room around. Done, very pleasing.
    7. Tidy my bedroom. Half done.

to do this week

Aims for July:
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 10th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 4,475 Posts
    • 12,893 Thanks
    Verbatim
    A Washing Up Bowl? A real one? No designer tags or labels or logos? Go you!!

The badge needing sewn onto cub uniform made me smile - I remember when I was a girl guide you used to be able to use sewing on badges as part of your stuff towards your Sewing Badge - so Mum suggested I did that - which I did thinking it was a great way of getting another badge and that once I'd got it Mum would go back to sewing them on for me. No chance - once I got the badge she pointed out quite reasonably that clearly I was more than capable of continuing to do them myself!

Well done on limiting the camping equipment purchases too - I had to replace my old self inflating map at the start of this year too as the old one was literally deflating itself within a couple of hours. The new one is AMAZING!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Love the image of your self inflating map. Took me a few moments visualising this map and wondering how, why... before I thought you might have meant map. Err mat.
    Last edited by Verbatim; 11-07-2017 at 7:29 AM.
    CCs @0% 24k Dec 05 19,621.41 Au 13400 S 12600 Oct 11,981 9481 7500 Nov 7250 D 7100 Jan 6950 F 5800 Mar5400 May 4830 June 4660 July 4460 Aug 3200, S 900, 0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Jul 17, 12:29 AM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 7,187 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Great news about MSE washing up bowl. When you are debt free I think you should treat yourself to a fancy designer one
    Countdown to early retirement on 31.12.17 4.5 months to go.
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 11th Jul 17, 6:06 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,592 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    My washing up bowl is still not here. I know you're all on the edge of your seats about that so I thought I'd best keep you updated.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    I for one will not believe in the existence of this washing up bowl until I see it. I think it is a Cunning Ruse to buy time.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 11th Jul 17, 6:08 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 22: Day 3

11th of the month and I still haven't had to tap any of the savings pots - the savings account still has the 270 in it that it should have. I am smashing my previous records! Maybe soon we'll actually start accumulating savings in practice rather than just in theory.

Enjoyed my yoga practice in my new dining room space - one of the reasons for moving things around was to give me an un-carpeted space to practice in. It's been on the things I've been hankering for around the whole extension process, and I suddenly realised I could actually make it happen now, so I'm pleased it's working out.

Tuesdays are always busy round here - I need to make dinner in the morning for this evening (pasties or similar picnic dinner) as we are dashing from club to club after school, and before I can do that I need to nip to the shop for pastry to make the pasties.

to do today
    1. bake sourdough.
    2. bake flapjacks for school snacks.
    3. make pasties
    4. finish tidying my bedroom.
    5. return a coat I ordered in the sale on a whim (from my actual clothes money pot!) - it's very nice, but not right. Quite a short returns period so need to sort it.
    6. Make a small overpayment on the MBNA card - I'd budgeted 50 and the minimum payment is only 39, so I need to pay the extra 11 manually.
    7. sew DS1's new badge to his cub uniform.
    8. Pack orders for smaller business.
    9. Continue rearranging all the stuff I've moved out of the dining room and making space for it - nothing like moving things around to make you realise what's useful and what is just clutter.

to do this week

Aims for July:
    • warby68
    • By warby68 11th Jul 17, 6:17 AM
    • 803 Posts
    • 8,781 Thanks
    warby68
    Tesco have inflatable single beds for 5 ( I know because I just bought one lessthan 12h ago to replace a perished one)
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 11th Jul 17, 8:10 AM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 18,128 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    ^^ Was just coming to post that. Mr T had quite a lot half price yesterday instore x
    DFW 953.71/7348.71 Rent Arrears 391.28/3381.28

June 17 PA 121.25 + 70 Cash + 50 Amazon
    July 17 PA 259.95 + 25 Cash + 65 Amazon
    August 17 PA 98.93 + 83.08 Cash + 80 Amazon
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 11th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 10,557 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Well done on your bargain purchase of washing up bowl!

Even better news is the fact you have not dibbed into any of your pots!! I am convinced that this is one of the best ways to budget and I use it myself as far as possible (until OH gets involved)

Loving the fact you have made space for your yoga as well. I started yoga a couple of months ago and am absolutely loving it! Im a member of a gym and do one or two classes a week but would love to do something at home to make it a more regular thing. Do you use online yoga classes? Youtube? Would be interested to hear which you are using as there are soooooooo many on there.....its baffling.
    Will have to buy myself a yoga mat though which Ive been thinking about anyway as the thought of how many people use the mats at the gym is a bit gross.
    Make 10 a day challenge Jan/215.84/ Feb 146.45/ Mar 192.55/Apr 171.20/ May 156.40/june 95.55/ Jul 383.85/Aug 171.60
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1282.95 miles
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 11th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Tesco have inflatable single beds for 5 ( I know because I just bought one lessthan 12h ago to replace a perished one)
    Originally posted by warby68
    ^^ Was just coming to post that. Mr T had quite a lot half price yesterday instore x
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    I have given up on airbeds after destroying one too many. I don't know what we do to them (we are careful!), but cheap or expensive they never seem to last more than one season of camping trips. We are giving self inflating mats a try and hopefully they'll last a little longer.

Well done on your bargain purchase of washing up bowl!

Even better news is the fact you have not dibbed into any of your pots!! I am convinced that this is one of the best ways to budget and I use it myself as far as possible (until OH gets involved)

Loving the fact you have made space for your yoga as well. I started yoga a couple of months ago and am absolutely loving it! Im a member of a gym and do one or two classes a week but would love to do something at home to make it a more regular thing. Do you use online yoga classes? Youtube? Would be interested to hear which you are using as there are soooooooo many on there.....its baffling.
    Will have to buy myself a yoga mat though which Ive been thinking about anyway as the thought of how many people use the mats at the gym is a bit gross.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    I do ashtanga yoga, so a little different from many other forms (more dynamic and a strict routine), but because it requires absolutely no though process, no clever props or the ability to attend a regular class, it works well for me. I do a few Mysore sessions (self practice, but the teacher is there to support you) with my teacher every few months but other than that I practice at home six days a week. I like not having to think about what routine to do or to be able to avoid poses I don't like, as it's the same routine every day. I have a Manduka mat which is amazing quality and very robust, but this basic mat is a really good starter one if you don't want to spend loads on the Manduka yet.

whinge of the day
    I am having a being-poor-grump today. I really want to buy a load of clear stacking tupperware type boxes for the DCs lego after seeing how well a friend's set worked, but a good sized set (I reckon we need about 15) of half decent clip lid boxes will cost a minimum of 25. Which is a really small sum of money, but in order to find it I'll have to leave another pot short, and I don't have any pots that can go any shorter than they currently are. It's such a first world problem, but I find myself inordinately frustrated that I can't buy a fairly simple storage solution on a whim - instead I have to save up for a measly 25. It is irritating me disproportionately!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,087Posts Today

8,995Users online

Martin's Twitter