Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 936Posts
    • 7,963Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....
    • 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed.... 12th Feb 17 at 9:56 AM
    £67,031.92. Seriously. £67,031.92. That is a SCARY number. I can't believe our debt has peaked (and it is the peak, I am determined) at this level.

Our light bulb moment actually happened a few months back, but it's taken since then of wrangling utilities and carefully watching out income/outgoings (using You Need a Budget) to really figure out where we were overspending and how the monthly shortfall of anything from £200-£1,000+ was happening.

We have literally nothing to show for this debt, it's just crept up over the past 8 years or so, and has always been at manageable levels, but back in October we realised we were spending more on credit cards each month than we were paying off.

We committed that cardinal sin of taking out a consolidation loan, but alongside it we looked really carefully at our spending over the next couple of months, budgeted realistically for what we spend and have (I think) picked off all the easy 'low hanging fruit' of budget cuts and really identified why we were overspending.

The main reason for the debt is, erm, me. Not that I'm the biggest spender (neither of us are amazing), but because I am self employed with a hugely variable income and basically worked out our budgets on the basis I would always earn my 'best' month's income. Which was, with hindsight, maybe a TINY bit deluded.

The aim of this diary is to keep us on track with actually reducing our debt every single month, not doing it in a three steps forward, two (or four) steps back sort of way. Having sat down and put our numbers into the whatsthecost site, it appears that we are looking at 7 years and 1 month of repayments to clear the debt (and that's assuming we can get rid of the shortfall showing below). I REALLY want to reduce this term as that just seems bonkers.

SOA below, with a couple of explanatory notes.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 3
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 250 (variable, but this is the minimum I have earned in any month in the last 5 years)
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2711.86
    Benefits................................ 192
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3153.86

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 698
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 174 (including overpayment for a period when we messed up during a house move 18 months ago and didn't restart the direct debit for the new property. Will drop by a little under £50 after either March or April, can't remember which)
    Electricity............................. 52 (gas and electricity are one combined DD, I haven't checked the exact split but the total is £104)
    Gas..................................... 52
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 104 (also including a debt from previous property, but I think this will be included for another 6 months or so. I'm not sure what our actual usage is)
    Telephone (land line)................... 18.5 (includes internet)
    Mobile phone............................ 85 (£45 for my contract, which I use for work as well, £40 for DH)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in landline cost)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 520 (Includes £40 for one lot of school lunches. I am REALLY struggling to reduce this, but feel I could and should be able to!)
    Clothing................................ 100 (growing children, plus see notes below re clothes)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 225 (90% DH commuting costs)
    Road tax................................ 16.27
    Car Insurance........................... 25.22
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 50
    Childcare/nursery....................... 70 (this will disappear in April as child 3 gets free 15 hours)
    Other child related expenses............ 81.85 (music/swimming lessons x2, cubs and beavers, National Trust membership as they love visiting them)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 27.07
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 16.26
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 90
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 135
    Holiday................................. 75
    Emergency fund.......................... 25
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2707.29

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 210000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 800
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 210800

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 173733...(698)......3.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 173733....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................6880.21...156...... .0
    MBNA...........................9614.71...98....... .0
    Parental loan..................20000.....0.........0 (see notes below)
    Tesco loan.....................21000.....377.......10
    Total unsecured debts..........57494.92..631.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,153.86
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,707.29
    Available for debt repayments........... 446.57
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 631
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -184.43

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 210,800
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -173,733
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -57,494.92
    Net Assets.............................. -20,427.92

Created using the SOA calculator at stoozing.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Regarding the (relatively) high clothes expense, it is a combination of 3 growing children (8, 6 and 3), plus the fact that my job is in the fashion industry, and as a self employed person I need to have the right sort of 'look' in order to get work (think along the lines of a self employed personal shopper - people need to see you looking good in order to book with you).

The parental loan was for a house deposit. The parent in question has no idea about our debts. She is not desperate for the money back and isn't charging us interest, but has asked us to save £150-200 every month into a savings account and then once we've saved a decent sum to either repay them or 'reborrow' it for work on the house (basically they want us to be able to make repayments if they suddenly need the extra income, but meanwhile are happy for us to benefit from it. I am not saving the money while our debt payments are so high - we are hoping to have paid enough off that if the parent ever needs it that we can reborrow it and pay them back). This isn't great, but realistically I think the best solutions is to treat it as the lowest priority for snowballing - once we have paid back the other debts we will throw the entire £630+ at this debt.

So, there is a freaking enormous shortfall every month, which is somewhat depressing. Most months it is covered by the fact that I earn more than my 'bare minimum', but it is those months where it isn't covered that the debt creeps up again, and I am a total disaster for going 'oh well, we've spent on the credit card, we might as well keep going' and buying more clothes or something for the house - this is probably a significant proportion of our debt problem.

We have managed to get rid of the balance on the one credit card we were spending on, so the remaining ones are both on 0% deals (although one expires in September). I have not cut up the remaining credit card, because we don't have an emergency fund in case of eg boiler repairs, but it has not been used for all of a month, and I hope to keep it that way.

A DMP or similar isn't really on my horizon right now - I feel like we should be able to make the cuts to make our budgets balance, and I am optimistic that as my income goes up (when I can work more as child 3 starts school) that we will be able to make overpayments.

My plan for now is:
    1) Try to wiggle those budget numbers around enough that we don't have a shortfall any more.
    2) Make a plan for any months where I make extra - do I use it for an emergency fund, as a fund to cover future months' shortfalls, to throw money at the debt to try to reduce minimum payments in case of future 'shortfall' months?
    3) Try to make more money. Not quite sure how this will work as I am largely limited to working around DH's working hours (I work evenings and weekends and the 5hrs childcare per week we are paying for for child 3).

Now that's all down in black and white I am feeling a combination of relieved (to be clear on the numbers) and immensely stressed (by the semi-regular £180+ shortfall).

Onwards and downwards (for the debt, not me)!

edited to add: the original £67,031.92 figure was based on the total figure for the Tesco loan, which included all interest payable over the entire term of the loan. I have updated the debt figure in my signature and in all posts going forward as at 4th June 2017 to reflect that actual current debt balance rather than the balance plus interest over the lifetime of the loan. This has knocked £7,911.62 off the debt figure, but means that each monthly payment will have the interest for that month deducted from it, so it won't affect the DFD if I don't make overpayments.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 04-06-2017 at 2:58 PM.
Page 49
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 15th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 7,963 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    TOPM you're just the most gracious and likeable person, your insights about your own spending strike so many chords with me and I'm always glad you go into detail, and you respond to everything without getting defensive.

I hope the payrise is pleasantly surprising!
    Originally posted by armchairexpert
    You might not say that if you knew me in real life
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 15th Jun 17, 12:50 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 7,963 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    DH has had his payrise meeting. Good and bad. He has been offered a rise (good) but it's only about half of what he asked for (bad) and comes with an expectation of no further rises for 2 years as he works towards his next 'milestones' (bad - he wanted a 12 month program to his next rise). Also lots of inferences about 'greater commitment to the company' before any further milestones will be deemed to be reached, which equates, in his work environment, to working longer hours (for no extra money). He is cross as he works incredibly hard so he can leave on time, whereas his colleagues and boss all lame about all day and stay longer in the evening. The other probably bad bit is that it won't go through payroll this month as the person who can officially sign off the payrise is away for a week.

So all things considered it really isn't amazing, but when it finally comes through it will be an extra £120 a month or so, which will make a noticeable difference to how tight our budget is. I'm only planning to allocate a small proportion of that to extra debt payments - the rest will go on making our budget genuinely balance, rather than the current wishful thinking approach (e.g. DH has no clothes budget under the current plan, which is unsustainable, and only one person in the family can get a haircut each month, and the birthday pot is only £20 a month. Things like that).
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 15th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 7,700 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Sorry the payrise not as much as you hoped but I guess it is something. Working in the public sector as I do we have had 1% for the last seven or eight years. Ironic that as I retire early at the end of this year my pension will be inflation linked so more than 1%. I think it is around 2.5% at the moment.
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 15th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 3,709 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I'm glad that he got a rise and I'm sure that the £120 will come in really useful in balancing your budgets, but it's a shame that the conditions are attached to it. Particularly the insinuation that he has to work longer hours unpaid for the next two years to be considered for another rise.

Do try to think of it as a positive though. Next month, you'll be £120 better off than this month
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 15th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    TOPM, I'm just wondering whether you would be happy to do a new SOA? The one you had when you started this thread is quite outdated and it would be interesting to see how things stand now!
    Debt Totals 01/07/17:
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 £15,500 Loan from Parents / Currently £12,500 £2,000 Overdraft Now £1,000
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 15th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    Indout96
    Also lots of inferences about 'greater commitment to the company' before any further milestones will be deemed to be reached, which equates, in his work environment, to working longer hours (for no extra money). He is cross as he works incredibly hard so he can leave on time, whereas his colleagues and boss all lame about all day and stay longer in the evening.
    So I am not the only person who lives like this LOL everyone else happy to stay for no extra money until 7 or 8.00 pm whereas if the effort was put in by them all work could be done by 5.00
    But they are the ones looking good to the boss.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 15th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,775 Thanks
    emmie26
    £120 is great and it will give you a little cushion instead of having to dip your sticky fingers into all your saving pots

Total Debt: £24,359.79 £22,182
    debt reduced by 9%
    Debt free date: May 2019
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 15th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 7,963 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    TOPM, I'm just wondering whether you would be happy to do a new SOA? The one you had when you started this thread is quite outdated and it would be interesting to see how things stand now!
    Originally posted by Silver Queen
    I did do one a month or two ago (either beginning of April or beginning of May), but even that is kind of out of date now. Once the pay rise is confirmed and our in/out has actually changed I'll do one.
    • Mum of 2 monkeys
    • By Mum of 2 monkeys 15th Jun 17, 11:43 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Mum of 2 monkeys
    Bad news re the pay rise conditions - I hope the £120 extra helps enough & makes enough of a difference to make you both feel it was worth the hassle - but my burning question that hasn't been asked already is did you tread on the playmobil whilst tidying the bedroom?!
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 16th Jun 17, 2:25 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 3,876 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    Oh goodness, I hate work cultures of presenteeism. It's one of the many things that create barriers for working mothers, and it's a huge reason why I left my former career and now earn about half of what I would have been doing! Sorry your DH is up against that situation. Could he realistically look around for an alternative?
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    September 2017 - $218,597.77
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 16th Jun 17, 4:53 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 7,963 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Bad news re the pay rise conditions - I hope the £120 extra helps enough & makes enough of a difference to make you both feel it was worth the hassle - but my burning question that hasn't been asked already is did you tread on the playmobil whilst tidying the bedroom?!
    Originally posted by Mum of 2 monkeys
    No, but mostly because I never got round to actually tidying the playmobil!

Oh goodness, I hate work cultures of presenteeism. It's one of the many things that create barriers for working mothers, and it's a huge reason why I left my former career and now earn about half of what I would have been doing! Sorry your DH is up against that situation. Could he realistically look around for an alternative?
    Originally posted by armchairexpert
    Not really an option unless things got really bad. He likes his job and there are very few jobs in his sector round here. He could get a consulting job/contract but that would mean travelling and longer hours, and probably less job security. He is determined not to be sucked into the stupid presenteeism game.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 16th Jun 17, 5:06 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 7,963 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 18: Day 5

Morning! Almost the weekend, hurrah! I am having a weekend almost entirely off work, which will be enormously novel, so I am very excited.

Had a long chat with DH last night about his pay rise and he is feeling a lot more philosophical about it. He's going to accept the rise they have offered and focus his energy on the future planning bit of the meeting, so he can be clear on their and his expectations in the coming years. He is also going to push for an extra 1.5 days annual leave that he is due as a manager and has never been awarded (he is a very junior manager, but still), as that can be used for childcare to help me earn a tiny bit more. Every little helps.

We are going to try to get our front garden fence panels nailed (ha. Nailed. Get it? I'm here all week folks) this weekend, so we can put the plants out in the front garden and actually start to enjoy it.

Meanwhile I'm off to the nearest city on the train with DC3 today to meet a friend, so need to make packed lunches and generally get ourselves organised so we don't spend any money. I am having the same thought I do every time we have a day out and thinking I need to get myself a thermos flask/mug so I can take tea out with us. Sometimes borrow DH's but he is using it a lot at the moment.

to do today:
    1. paint another batch of fence pickets and the batons to join them.
    2. Finish last bit of tidying the DCs' room - amusingly, it is the playmobil that is left to sort. Bets on whether I tread on any?
    3. social media for work.
    4. pick up a fathers day card (and some card for the DCs to make cards) for DH and my dad from town.
    5. Plan BBQ on weekend for minimum spends - the other family are bringing pudding so just need main course and drinks. Maybe veggie kebabs to bulk out whatever meat we get.
    6. Menu plan and my supermarket for next week's food so I can get it while I'm in Lidl this evening and save making two trips out to the shops this weekend. Will need to allow for a veg top up shop as it won't last 9 days, but can get everything else.
    7. Pack a nice picnic to take out today.
    8. Make gluten free brownies if time before we leave, as friend is gluten free so it would be a good afternoon treat.

to do this week:
    1. Make picket fence panels.
    2. Finish digging trench and make gravel channel under fence location.
    3. Go through camping stuff and plan what we need for the summer's camping trips.
    4. Keep focusing on smaller business while main business is quiet. Going ok, although not making me millions,
    5. Ask my mum about the chair and relist it with better description (assuming it doesn't sell by Tue). done.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 16th Jun 17, 5:25 AM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 16,640 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning ToP,

Yay to the pay rise, I'm sure that it'll help budgetting wise.

Sounds like you've a busy day ahead, have fun x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7400.00 Cap 1: £562.23 BC: £4577.81 Overdraft: £2750.00

AFD 5/10 NSD 2/10 LTW 10/15

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 16th Jun 17, 5:28 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 7,963 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    A couple of other things...

Weekly budget pots
    Dividing up our regular overspends (food and family entertainment kitty) into weekly pots has vastly improved our tendency to overspend. It's not going to be perfect this month as we were a week into the month when i started, so we were already over budget for the first week (by pretty much 100%) which I've had to factor in, but I'm fairly sure our overspend for the month for these two pots is going to be significantly less than it has been. I thoroughly recommend this to anyone struggling to make budget categories last a full month.

Me time:
    I am feeling really frazzled at the moment with work, childcare, managing our frugal living (frugal compared to before, anyway!) and general trying to achieve too much, so one of my goals once the front garden is finished is to slow down a little. I was searching for ideas for self care/nurturing/slow living yesterday, and realised I am doing absolutely none of them. This lack of down time is leading to the temptation to buy the trappings of leisure time - scented candles, loungewear, books, knitting and sewing supplies - as a substitute for actually having the leisure time. I've discussed before my temptation to buy the image of what I want rather than making it happen in reality, and I am conscious of not falling into this trap again.

I'm sure there was a third thing. It will come back to me I'm sure. I know you're all on the edge of your seats.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 16th Jun 17, 6:08 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 8,825 Thanks
    warby68
    I think the weekly budget will help. Its never too long to wait to reset an overspend or too long to wait for the next small treat. It wasn't deliberate but that's how my online shops every 3/4 days works. If one shop needs to be essentials, its only a couple of days to another more relaxed one and it saves planning too far ahead and risking plans changing or being bored with what I chose a week earlier.

I should say that whilst not in debt we took on a huge school fees commitment instead without having planned it so that's why I lurk here for tips as its a huge amount to find each year from income. We have no help whatsoever with it . I know the choice of private education might be a sensitive subject but we're just 'ordinary' so finding the cash has been like finding a 3rd salary if not more for 9 years. We have 3 years left (ignoring university at the moment). I just didn't want to sound too 'righteous' about lifestyle choices - we have chosen something very difficult to afford as well.
    • Wysiwyg49
    • By Wysiwyg49 16th Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Wysiwyg49
    Totally agree with the weekly budget pots - I have done that this month, like TOPM I started properly in week 2 and it is already making a difference.
    GC Sept £174.61/£360
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 16th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,775 Thanks
    emmie26
    I think I'm going to do the weekly pots, I am terrible for spending frivolously when I feel I am flush at the beginning of the month, this will take away that temptation. I only have one pot of leftover money that has to cover all day to day luxuries, like days out, meals out, make up etc, so if I spread it equally between the weeks I'll at least realise how little money this really is and think before I buy.

Total Debt: £24,359.79 £22,182
    debt reduced by 9%
    Debt free date: May 2019
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 19th Jun 17, 7:17 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 7,963 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 19: Day 2

Another week! Had a very internet-free family focused weekend, which was lovely. And we kept it pretty low spend - apart from food and drink for the barbecue on Saturday night (which I think added about £30 to our food shopping bill) we only spent change from our spare change tin on parking at the beach, took everything else with us for nice picnics and snacks and activities. Feeling really rejuvenated and refuelled, it's been so long since we spent a decent chunk of time together as a family without a million plans to get through.

Totally failed to get the fence put up in the front garden as we realised yesterday afternoon when we started it that I'd bought the wrong length of screws. Whoops. Going to attempt to buy the correct size today and will try again this week.

Have had a bit of a realisation that I need to take some more time for myself, so (in true TOPM style) I have made myself a list in my bullet journal of things I enjoy doing and am going to try to take half an hour every day to sit and read, or knit, or do a pedicure, or one of a number of other free activities. Have also set myself some goals for fruit and veg intake, sleep, steps etc (I did this a couple of months ago and it was great, but have slipped out of the habit). Hoping that taking better care of myself will lead for great efficiency in other areas, like MSE ones!

The budget is not looking amazing for the rest of the month - we have a shortfall, having paid for one of the many camping trips we have agreed to, and we have this extra CC payment coming out on the 30th due to the balance transfer (although DH will have been paid by then, so that's not such a crisis), but I think I'll be able to cover it with booked work without eating into my business account cushion. Need to sit down and crunch the numbers some more.

to do today:
    1. paint another batch of fence pickets and the batons to join them.
    2. tidy DCs' room.
    3. social media for work.
    4. clear the ironing (too hot for ironing!)
    5. pack and post some orders for work.
    6. get on top of my 'niggly little jobs' list for today, which has a lot of things on it.
    7. Get a couple of laundry loads washed and on the line - we have a bit of a sandy and sun cream covered backlog to get through from the weekend.

to do this week:
    1. Make picket fence.
    2. Go through camping stuff and plan what we need for the summer's camping trips.
    3. Keep focusing on smaller business while main business is quiet.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 19th Jun 17, 7:35 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 7,963 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Hot hot hot! Not complaining though - it's nice when the heat goes on long enough that I don't feel obliged to sit outside and make the most of every single minute. Have been in and out today and it's lovely.

My 'Good Things' list (ways to make time for myself, little challenges like eating 7 fruit and veg a day, walking etc) is going well so far - I sat and knitted for the first 30 minutes of DC3's nap today, and was pleased I'd taken the chance as she woke up after only 40 minutes.

Number crunching was depressing - we are already a couple of hundred over budget for this month, not counting the extra CC payment. I have had to take some of my cushion from the business account, which is tiresome. However, we are less over budget than we have been in recent months, so I'll call it a not-quite-a-total-disaster.

to do today:
    1. paint another batch of fence pickets and the batons to join them. done.
    2. tidy DCs' room. Not done. Like a sauna up there!
    3. social media for work. Done.
    4. clear the ironing (too hot for ironing!). Done, amazingly.
    5. pack and post some orders for work. Done.
    6. get on top of my 'niggly little jobs' list for today, which has a lot of things on it. Pretty much done.
    7. Get a couple of laundry loads washed and on the line - we have a bit of a sandy and sun cream covered backlog to get through from the weekend. Done.

to do this week:
    1. Make picket fence.
    2. Go through camping stuff and plan what we need for the summer's camping trips.
    3. Keep focusing on smaller business while main business is quiet.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 19th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 26,722 Thanks
    XSpender
    Im glad you spent DC3's nap time taking time for yourself. I remember when DS was little using that time to do housework etc, no wonder I was always knackered.

Alddee camping specials started yesterday. I'm assuming they are the same week wherever you are in the country as I am at the opposite end to you.
    PAYDBX 2017 #99 from 4/5 - £2664.28/£10,000 26.6%
    Total Owed £39,547.78 May '17 Total owed July 17 £36883.50 Savings goal £1000 EF - £400
    DFD - May 2021 goal Feb 2020
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,199Posts Today

6,122Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin