Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,096Posts
    • 10,533Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....
    • 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed.... 12th Feb 17 at 9:56 AM
    £67,031.92. Seriously. £67,031.92. That is a SCARY number. I can't believe our debt has peaked (and it is the peak, I am determined) at this level.

Our light bulb moment actually happened a few months back, but it's taken since then of wrangling utilities and carefully watching out income/outgoings (using You Need a Budget) to really figure out where we were overspending and how the monthly shortfall of anything from £200-£1,000+ was happening.

We have literally nothing to show for this debt, it's just crept up over the past 8 years or so, and has always been at manageable levels, but back in October we realised we were spending more on credit cards each month than we were paying off.

We committed that cardinal sin of taking out a consolidation loan, but alongside it we looked really carefully at our spending over the next couple of months, budgeted realistically for what we spend and have (I think) picked off all the easy 'low hanging fruit' of budget cuts and really identified why we were overspending.

The main reason for the debt is, erm, me. Not that I'm the biggest spender (neither of us are amazing), but because I am self employed with a hugely variable income and basically worked out our budgets on the basis I would always earn my 'best' month's income. Which was, with hindsight, maybe a TINY bit deluded.

The aim of this diary is to keep us on track with actually reducing our debt every single month, not doing it in a three steps forward, two (or four) steps back sort of way. Having sat down and put our numbers into the whatsthecost site, it appears that we are looking at 7 years and 1 month of repayments to clear the debt (and that's assuming we can get rid of the shortfall showing below). I REALLY want to reduce this term as that just seems bonkers.

SOA below, with a couple of explanatory notes.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 3
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 250 (variable, but this is the minimum I have earned in any month in the last 5 years)
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2711.86
    Benefits................................ 192
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3153.86

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 698
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 174 (including overpayment for a period when we messed up during a house move 18 months ago and didn't restart the direct debit for the new property. Will drop by a little under £50 after either March or April, can't remember which)
    Electricity............................. 52 (gas and electricity are one combined DD, I haven't checked the exact split but the total is £104)
    Gas..................................... 52
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 104 (also including a debt from previous property, but I think this will be included for another 6 months or so. I'm not sure what our actual usage is)
    Telephone (land line)................... 18.5 (includes internet)
    Mobile phone............................ 85 (£45 for my contract, which I use for work as well, £40 for DH)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in landline cost)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 520 (Includes £40 for one lot of school lunches. I am REALLY struggling to reduce this, but feel I could and should be able to!)
    Clothing................................ 100 (growing children, plus see notes below re clothes)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 225 (90% DH commuting costs)
    Road tax................................ 16.27
    Car Insurance........................... 25.22
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 50
    Childcare/nursery....................... 70 (this will disappear in April as child 3 gets free 15 hours)
    Other child related expenses............ 81.85 (music/swimming lessons x2, cubs and beavers, National Trust membership as they love visiting them)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 27.07
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 16.26
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 90
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 135
    Holiday................................. 75
    Emergency fund.......................... 25
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2707.29

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 210000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 800
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 210800

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 173733...(698)......3.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 173733....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................6880.21...156...... .0
    MBNA...........................9614.71...98....... .0
    Parental loan..................20000.....0.........0 (see notes below)
    Tesco loan.....................21000.....377.......10
    Total unsecured debts..........57494.92..631.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,153.86
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,707.29
    Available for debt repayments........... 446.57
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 631
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -184.43

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 210,800
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -173,733
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -57,494.92
    Net Assets.............................. -20,427.92

Created using the SOA calculator at stoozing.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Regarding the (relatively) high clothes expense, it is a combination of 3 growing children (8, 6 and 3), plus the fact that my job is in the fashion industry, and as a self employed person I need to have the right sort of 'look' in order to get work (think along the lines of a self employed personal shopper - people need to see you looking good in order to book with you).

The parental loan was for a house deposit. The parent in question has no idea about our debts. She is not desperate for the money back and isn't charging us interest, but has asked us to save £150-200 every month into a savings account and then once we've saved a decent sum to either repay them or 'reborrow' it for work on the house (basically they want us to be able to make repayments if they suddenly need the extra income, but meanwhile are happy for us to benefit from it. I am not saving the money while our debt payments are so high - we are hoping to have paid enough off that if the parent ever needs it that we can reborrow it and pay them back). This isn't great, but realistically I think the best solutions is to treat it as the lowest priority for snowballing - once we have paid back the other debts we will throw the entire £630+ at this debt.

So, there is a freaking enormous shortfall every month, which is somewhat depressing. Most months it is covered by the fact that I earn more than my 'bare minimum', but it is those months where it isn't covered that the debt creeps up again, and I am a total disaster for going 'oh well, we've spent on the credit card, we might as well keep going' and buying more clothes or something for the house - this is probably a significant proportion of our debt problem.

We have managed to get rid of the balance on the one credit card we were spending on, so the remaining ones are both on 0% deals (although one expires in September). I have not cut up the remaining credit card, because we don't have an emergency fund in case of eg boiler repairs, but it has not been used for all of a month, and I hope to keep it that way.

A DMP or similar isn't really on my horizon right now - I feel like we should be able to make the cuts to make our budgets balance, and I am optimistic that as my income goes up (when I can work more as child 3 starts school) that we will be able to make overpayments.

My plan for now is:
    1) Try to wiggle those budget numbers around enough that we don't have a shortfall any more.
    2) Make a plan for any months where I make extra - do I use it for an emergency fund, as a fund to cover future months' shortfalls, to throw money at the debt to try to reduce minimum payments in case of future 'shortfall' months?
    3) Try to make more money. Not quite sure how this will work as I am largely limited to working around DH's working hours (I work evenings and weekends and the 5hrs childcare per week we are paying for for child 3).

Now that's all down in black and white I am feeling a combination of relieved (to be clear on the numbers) and immensely stressed (by the semi-regular £180+ shortfall).

Onwards and downwards (for the debt, not me)!

edited to add: the original £67,031.92 figure was based on the total figure for the Tesco loan, which included all interest payable over the entire term of the loan. I have updated the debt figure in my signature and in all posts going forward as at 4th June 2017 to reflect that actual current debt balance rather than the balance plus interest over the lifetime of the loan. This has knocked £7,911.62 off the debt figure, but means that each monthly payment will have the interest for that month deducted from it, so it won't affect the DFD if I don't make overpayments.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 04-06-2017 at 2:58 PM.
Page 107
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 7th Dec 17, 5:00 AM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 43: Day 5

I made bread yesterday - and therefore ate rather a lot, since it's been a couple of weeks since I've had lovely oven fresh bread - and I swear I have expanded overnight. My weight is ridiculous at the moment - it's been the thing that has taken the hit through all the recent work/time/money stress. If I don't shed some instead of doing the usual Christmas pig out I'm going to be the size of a whale in the new year!

Going to go for another day of achievement today - 10 minute chunks all day! It really worked to help me plough through some of my bigger jobs without sitting down and going 'right, I'm going to get the whole of that thing done now' then messing around online for an hour without actually doing anything.

Had another stress at DH last night about how busy we all are, and that I think actually this is just our lives and it's never going to ease up. I may have been being a tiny bit over dramatic, but actually a lot of the things we do (DCs clubs, although that will reduce slightly in January, my work) just are as they are, and I need to start accepting them and figuring out life with them in it rather than being in firefighting mode constantly. Once the remortgage is through and I am a little clearer on our finances it will be easier - I actually think my income aims at the moment are a little ambitious, and that's causing the vast vast majority of the stress, but I can't really see how I can reduce them more than perhaps £50 a month without seriously affecting our lives. Need to take a long hard look at the numbers at some stage over Christmas.

All Christmas spending has come to a dead halt as I have run out of 'real' money and my new CC has not arrived so I can't do the last bit on there. Gosh, such healthy spending habits going on round here.

armchairexpert that quote is perfect! I eagerly anticipate the day I have finished making mistakes.

baglady1 thank you for your lovely comment! Good to have you along, although mostly it's just to witness a total absence of MSE right now.

to do today
    1. Finish remaining 40% or so of contract work.
    2. More Christmas knitting.
    3. Continue to practise nativity lines with DC2.
    4. Tidy our bedroom - such a dumping ground!
    5. Finish tidying the dining room.
    6. Make something for pudding (preferably involving tinned pears, since I have a tin in the cupboard)
    7. Check mortgage paperwork - I'm sure we're supposed to get a text or something when they receive the latest bit of paperwork, and nothing yet (I posted it on Monday).
    8. Defeat the ironing basket before it expands to become an ironing mountain.

To do this week
    1. finish Christmas shopping.
    2. finish DH Christmas knitting.
    3. get ahead on contract work.
    4. buy Christmas cards. Done.

To do in December
    1. finish Christmas shopping!
    2. buy DH's birthday present while I'm doing the Christmas shopping.
    3. make some more candles.
    4. don't try to do too much! I already have a few client bookings and lots of work I want to do, alongside the Christmas stuff. I need to make sure I don't get overwhelmed again. Yeah, this is going abysmally, as always.
    5. update debt totals at the end of the month, to ensure we know where we are as we start 2018.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 7th Dec 17, 8:01 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    This is the second year for me of buying for so many people, prior to this Iíve only ever bought for 4 people and then a few bits and pieces here and there for friends. Unfortunately OH has 5 siblings, 2 parents and a grandma to buy for, and a close knit family

Armchair expert, I love that quote. Anne of green gables was one of my favourite books growing up

TOPM, I love the 10 minute chunks thing, what a good idea! Iím always impressed at how organised you are. One of the reasons I donít think I could ever go self employed.
    Debt Totals November 17:
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 £15,500 Loan from Parents 1 / Now £12,500 £500 Loan from Parents 2 / £500 £2,000 Overdraft Now £1,700
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 7th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Slightly less productive today, but not too bad. Had a lovely afternoon with the DC after school, so nice not to be dashing off to a club. Then remembered I was supposed to be dashing one of them off to a club, that we had completely forgotten about (new swim club). Whoops! We all needed the downtime though.

to do today
    1. Finish remaining 40% or so of contract work. Done, hurrah!
    2. More Christmas knitting. Bit more done.
    3. Continue to practise nativity lines with DC2. Done.
    4. Tidy our bedroom - such a dumping ground! Done, although it is so full of presents it still looks pretty bad.
    5. Finish tidying the dining room. Done.
    6. Make something for pudding (preferably involving tinned pears, since I have a tin in the cupboard). Well 'make' might be pushing it - leftover scrapings of ice cream, whipped cream and tinned pears. I put sprinkles on top and the DC were thrilled though.
    7. Check mortgage paperwork - I'm sure we're supposed to get a text or something when they receive the latest bit of paperwork, and nothing yet (I posted it on Monday). Actually got a text this morning as expected to say the paperwork had been received, so hopefully all will move forwards now.
    8. Defeat the ironing basket before it expands to become an ironing mountain. Done, although not put away.

To do this week

To do in December
    4. don't try to do too much! I already have a few client bookings and lots of work I want to do, alongside the Christmas stuff. I need to make sure I don't get overwhelmed again. Yeah, this is going abysmally, as always.
    5. update debt totals at the end of the month, to ensure we know where we are as we start 2018.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 08-12-2017 at 5:12 AM.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 7th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Keep going TOPM! It must be so stressful keeping up with everything but you’ve managed to make so much work up until now that I reckon you’ll have found a solution for how busy you feel in no time!
    ETA x
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 8th Dec 17, 3:21 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 4,714 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    Sprinkles on top solves everything!

This time of year really is busier though. Mr E and I were looking at one another despairingly yesterday after we got the kids into bed at 9.15pm because of a festive dinner out with friends, when we realised that we still needed to make their birthday cake for Saturday as well as a picnic for tonight (school concert) and also I promised to pick up the alcohol for the school concert's bar and then the vet rang reminding me that the cats need booster shots and I had to cancel my hairdresser's appointment despite terrifying roots and I'm working until midnight tonight because of the aforementioned concert and it just.doesn't.stop.

Hang in there, is what I'm saying here.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    November 2017 - $216,000.00 Current MFD 31 July 2035
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 8th Dec 17, 5:34 AM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 43: Day 6

Keeping the budgets balanced is, um, a little challenging this month. We are taking the DC to the cinema on the weekend as they have been desperate to see Paddington 2, but the cinema for the five of us comes to a ridiculous £41, a third of our entertainment budget for the month (with dinner at the Christmas market wiping out the other third). At least we don't do any panto/visit to Santa type stuff, but things are squeakily tight!

Working away from home today, DH is in charge of the DC. The best thing about this is (caution: hugely unsupportive wife comment coming up), for the first year since the DC started school, DH can't volunteer to help out at the Christmas fair and actually has to take the DC. Normally I end up stressed and harried and irritated having to manage three over-excited children all by myself while he helps out and has a lovely time chatting to everyone. This year the tables have turned and he will see what it's like for me! <evil laugh>

Seriously, he does a lot and is lovely etc etc, but he is on PTA and gives them quite a lot of time (we were talking about it the other night, I reckon it's a good hour a week on average, maybe more - he is treasurer, quite often organises events single handed, is always the one to arrange floats etc for stalls). I try to be all zen about it, but I do find it tiresome when we are already so tight for time. I am a trustee for a local charity, so we each have one community spirited thing we do, but mine is only three meetings a year, with very little work beyond that, maybe reading the odd policy. We have agreed to review the PTA situation at the end of the year.

Ooh, must remember to take a packed lunch with me today, after telling DH off for buying lunch too many times recently (he only gets something from Lidl, about £2.75 a time, but after a week that's almost 20% of our food budget gone!). He did it almost every day when I was working away last week, and the odd time before. I didn't want to make a big issue as I was away, but when he did it again this week I had to get cross. I hate that I have to be the sensible one about these things, he knew full well he shouldn't be doing it.

to do today
    1. MAKE PACKED LUNCH.
    3. Remind DH to practise nativity lines with DC2.
    4. Ask DH to tidy the DCs' bedroom.
    5. Remind DH to use up leftovers for dinner (s basically my to do list today is about managing DH).
    6. Put on a laundry before I go out.
    7. Check a map to see whether I can make a detour to see a friend who is struggling a bit after I finish work today.
    8. Activate new partnership card so I can finish the Christmas shopping. I really want to get it all finished this week.

To do this week

To do in December
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 8th Dec 17, 6:54 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 2,526 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Do you have tesco or nectar points you can use for the cinema?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 8th Dec 17, 8:07 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Can you take the DC to the cinema on a Tuesday or wednesday and make use of meerkat movies? I don’t remember what it is that my sister always buys, but she buys a cheap insurance policy through them (less than £5) and then gets access to 2 for 1 movies.
    Debt Totals November 17:
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 £15,500 Loan from Parents 1 / Now £12,500 £500 Loan from Parents 2 / £500 £2,000 Overdraft Now £1,700
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 8th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 7,217 Posts
    • 10,137 Thanks
    KxMx
    It's a one day Travel insurance policy, cost is usually £1-£2.50.

Then you have Meerkat Movies (2for1 each Tuesday of Wednesday) for a year.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th Dec 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 18,084 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I might have to make that my motto for the month - everything seems better with sprinkles on top! Well done TOPM, I see real changes in you
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 8th Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Argh, there's not that much change!

1. Film has to be tomorrow, as it's the only day we can all do, so full price unfortunately.

2. DH has just been to the school fair with the DC and spent something in the region of £30 I think, certainly more than £20.

Between the cinema, the not-worth-it money on food at the Christmas market and the school fair, we've spent a cool £117-ish on random stuff this week that was in no way budgeted. ARGH.

I should go through this year's diary with a notepad and make a note of all the unexpected expenses that cropped up through the year, as I'm sure 99% of them could have been anticipated, if not avoided.
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 8th Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Don’t beat yourself up too badly. If the DC had a good time then it’s worth it in that respect, at least.
    Debt Totals November 17:
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 9th Dec 17, 5:59 AM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Yesterday's list, before starting on today's...

to do today
    1. MAKE PACKED LUNCH. Done.
    2. More Christmas knitting. Not done.
    3. Remind DH to practise nativity lines with DC2. Done, not sure they had time though.
    4. Ask DH to tidy the DCs' bedroom. Done, but haven't been in there to check yet!
    5. Remind DH to use up leftovers for dinner (s basically my to do list today is about managing DH). Done.
    6. Put on a laundry before I go out. Not done.
    7. Check a map to see whether I can make a detour to see a friend who is struggling a bit after I finish work today. Done, but she was busy anyway.
    8. Activate new partnership card so I can finish the Christmas shopping. I really want to get it all finished this week. Not done.

To do this week

To do in December
    • stoplurking
    • By stoplurking 9th Dec 17, 6:35 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    stoplurking
    Hi TOPM

I love reading your diary but don't normally comment. Re the cinema- is it possible for just one parent to go with the DC? Not sure of ages/gender of the DC so that might not work for the inevitable toilet break even though the film is less than 2 hours long. Yip, been there.
    You're sitting silently in the dark anyway so not really spending time together as such. That would save a bit and free you or DH to get on with another thing from the list or even just some chill time in your hectic life. The DVD will be out soon for £5 and your budget might have recovered a bit by then.
    Keep on keeping on, you are doing your best and your awareness of how unbudgeted spends can wreck your budget is a good foundation for going into next year. You will get there. X
    LBM Oct12 Debts at LBM £17715.93.
    Orig DFD Apr15 DFD 24/12/13
    3-6monthEFC#9 £1193/4000 29.8%
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 9th Dec 17, 6:37 AM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 43: Day 7

Right, on with today!

Big batch cooking day today, although only until 2pm as we're going to see Paddington 2 (at vast expense). On the list to get cracking on, in priority order:
    1. macaroni cheese.
    2. flapjacks for snacks.
    3. veggie nuggets.
    4. leek and potato soup.
    5. columbian black bean stew.

I suspect that's enough to be going on with, although I did have more on my list originally.

Before I can make a start on the cooking I need to have a quick tidy up, as we have the architect coming to survey the house today to produce initial drawings. We can't move any further forward, however, until we have had the pre-application meeting with the local planners (and the new mortgage is in place, allowing us to save!).

Have also been hunting for my new partnership card which arrived a couple of days ago, so I can activate it and finish the Christmas shopping. Suspect DH has 'tidied' it (this can often mean it being tidied into the bin, as it was still in its original envelope) so am preparing for a big hunt before the bin bags get changed!

to do today
    1. Batch cooking.
    3. Practise nativity lines with DC2.
    4. Tidy house before 9am!
    5. Get sweets for cinema from local shop.
    6. Laundry
    7. Activate new partnership card.
    8. Finish Christmas shopping.
    9. Clear backlog of emails and work enquiries.

To do this week

To do in December
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 9th Dec 17, 7:46 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 4,542 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Maybe the card is trying to tell you something or even DH. Only having you on off course , hope you find it and finish your shopping.
    Enjoy Paddington 2 , a great family film. I hope it's warmer with you than here it's bitter.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 18,084 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    The change I see compares the TOPM who was defiant in her desire to spend £48 on the right washing up bowl, with the TOPM this week feeling the pain of what she considers unnecessary spend. - It isn't all about money. You know that!

I can't remember if you have mentioned a slow cooker but I just want to suggest that they are a jolly marvellous way of throwing your stuff in and having dinner ready with just a stir at the end of the day - I am in 12-16 hour days at the moment, with lots of travelling and it is a god-send. Your soup or stew could just be left to do its' thing.

Enjoy the film - take pleasure in those family moments. They are precious, and your children's desire to do those things with their parents is of limited duration. Enjoy yourself
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Dec 17, 5:17 AM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Yesterday's list...

Batch cooking achieved:
    1. Macaroni cheese - 2x evening meals, plus at least 4 lunches
    2. Flapjacks - enough to get us through until the end of term (the DC take them in for snacks each day)
    3. Veggie nuggets - enough for lunches and maybe an evening meal
    4. Columbian black bean stew - 2x evening meals, probably a lunch or two as well.

to do yesterday
    1. Batch cooking. Done.
    2. More Christmas knitting. Bit of progress
    3. Practise nativity lines with DC2. Done.
    4. Tidy house before 9am! Done.
    5. Get sweets for cinema from local shop. Done.
    6. Laundry. Not done.
    7. Activate new partnership card. Done.
    8. Finish Christmas shopping. Pretty much done.
    9. Clear backlog of emails and work enquiries. Done.

To do this week
    1. finish Christmas shopping. Pretty much done.
    2. finish DH Christmas knitting. Not quite finished.
    3. get ahead on contract work. Done.

To do in December
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Dec 17, 5:44 AM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 44: Day 1

Wow, only 8 weeks away from a full year at this MSE business!

Hoping for a doubly good day today - it's my birthday, and we're going to put up the Christmas tree.

Really enjoyed Paddington 2 yesterday, lots of fun. Although ate a ridiculous amount of popcorn and still feel bloated!

I think I have pretty much finished Christmas shopping, which is rather nice. I need to sit down with the DCs later and order something for them to give to DH, and order a secret santa gift for <£15. Being done does depend on finding the time to knit something for a couple of family' children, which I'm not sure I'll have time to, so there might be three more gifts of £15 or so. I am going to wrap the DCs presents before I do though, as I slightly think I might be able to carve a present off the top for at least one of the family DC if it looks like our DC have too much for their stockings.. Current total spend is standing at £1,117. So next year I definitely need to be putting by more than the (entirely hypothetical) £60pm I was putting by this year. Actually putting something by would be good though, rather than putting it by then withdrawing it to cover something else!

Not too much on the list today, but have a client tomorrow so need to get the house in order.

to do yesterday
    1. Tree! And decorating.
    3. Practise nativity lines with DC2.
    4. Tidy and clean for client (at least I cleaned a bit yesterday before the architect came).
    5. Laundry.

To do this week
    1. Finish Christmas knitting for DH.
    2. Wrap some presents and decide whether to order more for family children.
    3. Get further ahead on contract work.
    4. Write Christmas cards.

To do in December
    1. finish Christmas shopping! Almost there!
    • cocalls
    • By cocalls 10th Dec 17, 6:55 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    cocalls
    one thing that will keep the costs down next year is to buy wrapping, crackers and cards in the sales just after xmas. (you dont need decs thou-you spent £50 which should last for at least 15 years well thats how old i think some of mine are)
    i was just doing some cards and i noticed i paid 16p for a nice pack last year! Also stocking fillers go down in the sales aswell so get those for nxt year too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

264Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter