Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MOPI
    • By MOPI 9th Feb 17, 7:52 PM
    • 180Posts
    • 45Thanks
    MOPI
    Blocking Window Trickle Vents
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:52 PM
    Blocking Window Trickle Vents 9th Feb 17 at 7:52 PM
    Hi, I purchased a new build property during 2016, which came with double glazed windows and trickle vents. To cut a long story short I am sick of the amount of noise being let in through these vents, even when the vent is closed over with the cover. I spoke to the builders about the issue, who subsequently contacted the window fitters. The window fitters attended and inspected the windows, with no obvious issues identified. However the window fitter did state that he dealt with multiple call outs every day relating to the exact same noise issue I was describing and stated the causation is likely to be the trickle vents, as they are practically a cover over a hole in the window frame. He stated that other people have filled the vents with insulation but he could not recommend this.

I have lived in the house for a number of months but I literally can't live in the house any longer with the noise issue, I am constantly waking up (even with earplugs in) and it is affecting my health.

I realise the possible consequences of blocking the vents in terms of ventilation but I will just have to work around this by leaving windows open slightly when I am at home.

My question is - can anybody recommend suitable material(s) to block the vent with the primary purpose of blocking the noise as much as possible? Also I would like to use a material that isn't too difficult to get out of the vent if I later decide to unblock them for any reason?

Thanks in advance!
Page 2
    • JB Acoustic Expert
    • By JB Acoustic Expert 9th Jan 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JB Acoustic Expert
    Acoustic Trickle Vents
    Hi there,

Barratts should have had acoustic consultants perform a noise impact assessment if they built in an area subjected to noise. Having said that, they would not have paid for it if the council didn't ask them to do it!

As for your question about the Passivent units, I have specced these many times in the past and they really do help! There are other very good manufacturers that you could look into replacing the units with such as Trimvent (I think manufactured by Titon). If you are having a lot of trouble with noise, then my advice would be to go for the top spec units. I doubt that you would need them all round the house though as typically, these would only be required on windows overlooking the main roads.

In answer to the initial question about blocking them up, I would advise against it (the vents are not only for venting smells, but mainly for making sure that there is fresh air circulating around the house for your own good!) and instead look to replace the units that are there with acoustic units.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 9th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Well like I say, in my case, night latch isn't an option, its just a question of whether trickle vents are just as bad, or tolerable.

As far as it being removed from the regs, I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but you can't judge how good an idea is based on what government does. After all, if coal is a dirty fuel source, why does the current US government want to subsidise it?

That said, I am currently leaning against them. We're 1 mile from the factory where the windows will be made, worst comes to worst and we decide to retrofit them later, they could easily come back out to do it, even taking the sashes back to the shop to do so if needs be.

Alternatively we'll just throw the cats out at night so we can leave the bedroom door open without getting leapt on while we sleep.
    Originally posted by Raxiel
    Well the windows were fitted without the vents. The first night we tried the window on night latch, and it was actually quieter than the old window (with a smaller opening) had been on latch so I'm glad we didn't get the vents now.

Hi, I purchased a new build property during 2016, which came with double glazed windows and trickle vents. To cut a long story short I am sick of the amount of noise being let in through these vents, even when the vent is closed over with the cover. I spoke to the builders about the issue, who subsequently contacted the window fitters. The window fitters attended and inspected the windows, with no obvious issues identified. However the window fitter did state that he dealt with multiple call outs every day relating to the exact same noise issue I was describing and stated the causation is likely to be the trickle vents, as they are practically a cover over a hole in the window frame. He stated that other people have filled the vents with insulation but he could not recommend this.

I have lived in the house for a number of months but I literally can't live in the house any longer with the noise issue, I am constantly waking up (even with earplugs in) and it is affecting my health.

I realise the possible consequences of blocking the vents in terms of ventilation but I will just have to work around this by leaving windows open slightly when I am at home.

My question is - can anybody recommend suitable material(s) to block the vent with the primary purpose of blocking the noise as much as possible? Also I would like to use a material that isn't too difficult to get out of the vent if I later decide to unblock them for any reason?

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by MOPI
    In the first instance, you could try something like dish sponges? Cheap, compressible, and removable, you can always move onto something more extreme if that doesn't work (perhaps 'borrow' a handful of rock-wool from the loft?). You wouldn't necessarily want to block them all, but it sounds like you only need to block the one(s) in your bedroom to get a better nights sleep.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,455Posts Today

10,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin