Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 9th Feb 17, 7:46 PM
    • 82Posts
    • 287Thanks
    Macey1510
    Goals and Dreams
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:46 PM
    Goals and Dreams 9th Feb 17 at 7:46 PM
    Hi I recently came across the debt free diaries and have found them so inspiring.
    I have decided to start my own to help keep me focused in getting out of debt and fulfilling my goals.

I live with my partner, (we have separate finances). We are renting and my partner pays most of the bills as he has a lot more money coming in than me.
    I have one son who is 24 and lives with my mom and dad and 2 step sons who are 23 and live with their mom. We also have a dog and a cat.

I have been in debt one way or another since I was 18 (for over 20 years) with nothing to show for it.

My debts now are -
    CC 1 - £900 CCJ
    CC 2 - £1970 Defaulted
    Next Catalogue - £997 up to date

Total Debt £3867

The Next Catalogue is the only debt with interest being charged. The credit cards are being paid off at reduced rates.

My Incomings are £600 a month.

Recently we had the devastating news that my mom has cancer so I am caring for her at home. Since all this has happened I really feel the need to be in control of all my finances and to help my mom and dad as much as possible.

My Goals

To help my mom and dad with their finances and save them as much money as possible.

I hope to be out of debt and have some savings by 2020 (which is when my CCJ comes off my file) I am going to concentrate on the Next Catalogue first and then move onto the credit cards and then start saving.

Dreams

To become self employed again. I studied ceramics and textiles but had to sell all my equipment in the recession. I love making things and miss it so much.

To have our own house.

Changes I'm Planning To Make

- To only buy things I really need.
    - To shop more sensibly for food and essentials.
    - To cook larger amounts and freeze more.
    - To earn some money whilst spending time with my mom (not sure how I'm going to do this yet)

I think that's it for now.
    xxxxx
    Last edited by Macey1510; 12-02-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: To add total debt
Page 3
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 1st Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 7,120 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Instagram has been fantastic for one of my businesses (I have a direct correlation between instagram posts and sales made), not so amazing for the other one but still a useful 'supporting act' to help build the brand.

I have found the way to keep motivation for myself is to keep giving myself lots of little challenges - how low can I get the food shopping (and then using the extra from that week's budget to overpay debt), how many lights can I turn off, can I make an extra little bit on eb@y, etc etc; those kept me focused in the gap between my LBM and this month's paydays.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: ££55,243.13/1st April 2025
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 2nd Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    Instagram has been fantastic for one of my businesses (I have a direct correlation between instagram posts and sales made), not so amazing for the other one but still a useful 'supporting act' to help build the brand.

I have found the way to keep motivation for myself is to keep giving myself lots of little challenges - how low can I get the food shopping (and then using the extra from that week's budget to overpay debt), how many lights can I turn off, can I make an extra little bit on eb@y, etc etc; those kept me focused in the gap between my LBM and this month's paydays.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    Hi Top, I love the idea of little challenges through the month! I will definitely try this to keep me motivated.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 2nd Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,310 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi Bob, ive noticed that Instagram seems to be getting more and more interest. Ive opened up a separate account so now i just need to post regularly. Hope you have a good day x
    Originally posted by Macey1510
    And it's so about finding out what # to use as well. I love working out which ones will get me in front of the most users (me I mean my business)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 3rd Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    I haven't really given much thought to the # I will have to do that in future.
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 3rd Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    March Goals
    Goals

- Make an OP on Next Catalogue at least £100 hopefully more if I can raise more funds.

- Set little challenges to keep me motivated through the month.

- List a pair of Converse on 3bay.

- Start sorting the attic at my Mom & Dads. I have lots of 'stuff' up there, I don't think anything will be worth selling but you never know.

- Cook and freeze some meals to grab when I'm too tired to cook.

Business Goals

- Continue with marketing course.

- Have a small collection of items to sell by the end of the month.

- Re-open my Etsy shop.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 3rd Mar 17, 10:56 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,310 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I haven't really given much thought to the # I will have to do that in future.
    Originally posted by Macey1510
    Without wanting to go on and bore you, yes it's amazing what you can do by tagging your posts well. I find locally specific ones very useful and also appropriate subject matter tags.

• Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 6th Mar 17, 10:12 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    Without wanting to go on and bore you, yes it's amazing what you can do by tagging your posts well. I find locally specific ones very useful and also appropriate subject matter tags.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    Hi Bob, I have been looking at how other business tag their photos, and for Etsy too!
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 7th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    Week 3 To Do List And Last Weeks Progress.
    Week 2 progress

- I opened a 2nd Instagram account but haven't posted anything yet.

- Any spare time I had was spent making items and am really happy with how they have turned out.

- Dealt with lots of medical issues with my Mom

- I listed some items on 3bay which end later this evening.

Week 3 to do

- Pay Next Catalogue.

- I still need to cook a bolognaise and soup.

- Continue making ready for my Etsy shop re-opening.

- Continue with the marketing course.

- List 7 items on 3bay.

Have a great week! xx
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hello Macey, I've just discovered your diary! It's lovely to see you are getting such joy out of creating things again, and that you're planning to start on the attic, which is a very practical and useful thing to do! Goodness knows what we'd find in ours!
    I'm sorry to hear your Mom's health is causing concern. I hope this week's issues can be addressed... Please, please, keep some space and time aside for yourself and find people to talk to who have been through similar if you can. I wish I had looked after myself better when my Mum was ill, though I did manage to resist the people who thought I could be doing even more. Taking the time to support her now is important, but so is your long-term well-being. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, just ignore me if it's not appropriate.
    Good luck with this evening's selling
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 7th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    Hello Macey, I've just discovered your diary! It's lovely to see you are getting such joy out of creating things again, and that you're planning to start on the attic, which is a very practical and useful thing to do! Goodness knows what we'd find in ours!
    I'm sorry to hear your Mom's health is causing concern. I hope this week's issues can be addressed... Please, please, keep some space and time aside for yourself and find people to talk to who have been through similar if you can. I wish I had looked after myself better when my Mum was ill, though I did manage to resist the people who thought I could be doing even more. Taking the time to support her now is important, but so is your long-term well-being. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, just ignore me if it's not appropriate.
    Good luck with this evening's selling
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Hi, thank you for your message! I really appreciate it. I am finding it so hard caring for my Mom, but my Dad is great so I'm able to go home after we have helped her to bed at night and I get an hour in the afternoon too. I do need to take better care of myself though, it's all so draining. Hope you have a good evening.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 7th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,310 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Another productive day by the sounds of it.

• Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 8th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    My 3bay items finished last night and I made £23 and £15 for my Mom and Dad. I didn't expect to get this much. I have transferred £20 into my emergency fund.

This morning I went to the post office and took some clothes back to m & s for my mom and I bought 4 bunches of daffodils for £1 and some other flowers for £1.60. Both of these have come out of my spending money allowance for the month but I feel annoyed at myself for buying them....I keep thinking that £2.60 could have gone towards my debts. This is definitely a new way of thinking for me.

Have a lovely day xx
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 9th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    I made my monthly payment to Next of £100... £55 over the minimum. I still need to pay another £20 by the end of the month which will cover the interest to be added. This will keep the new amount owed at £798.

I have some more items on 3bay with 99p bids so hopefully they will go up a bit.

I have also decided to keep my spending money for the month in a tin at home and if there's something I really want to buy I won't have the money on me to just buy it. It will give me time to think about how much I really want it. Any money left over at the end of the month will either go to my emergency fund or savings.

Today i need to buy some business supplies that I haven't budgeted for which will have come out of my spending money so I don't think I will have any left over for March but I will be a lot closer to being able to list the items in my shop. I can't wait I'm really excited to open it again!
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 9th Mar 17, 11:28 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,310 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Gah, I also put business costs on my personal account today. Annoying but have the money to do it this month.

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well done on the items sold and the payment to Next.

Don't worry too much that you bought the flowers... what is spring without daffodils? Well, still spring of course but daffodils are like bringing sunshine indoors. Just don't do it too often. Maybe use a bit of your afternoon time to get some sunshine out of doors...

"If thou of fortune be bereft,
    and in thy store there be but left
    two loaves, sell one, and with the
    dole, buy hyacinths to feed thy soul."

― John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 14th Mar 17, 9:11 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    Gah, I also put business costs on my personal account today. Annoying but have the money to do it this month.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    I think I need to budget for this each month...I thought I had enough supplies to keep me going for awhile but there always seems to be extras that crop up.
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 14th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    Well done on the items sold and the payment to Next.

Don't worry too much that you bought the flowers... what is spring without daffodils? Well, still spring of course but daffodils are like bringing sunshine indoors. Just don't do it too often. Maybe use a bit of your afternoon time to get some sunshine out of doors...

"If thou of fortune be bereft,
    and in thy store there be but left
    two loaves, sell one, and with the
    dole, buy hyacinths to feed thy soul."

― John Greenleaf Whittier
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Hi Cherry, I do love flowers...I have bought some wild flower seeds to plant so I can enjoy them for a lot longer, we only have a tiny garden so it doesn't take much to fill it with flowers.
    • Macey1510
    • By Macey1510 14th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Macey1510
    I haven't been able to update for a few days as my Mom has been so poorly but I'm still watching everything I spend and working on small goals when I can.

My 3bay items finished and I made £27 after fees and postage....well hopefully if I have calculated the postage correctly, I do weigh everything but sometimes I get caught out.

I have paid another £20 to Next and the rest will go to the emergency fund.

To do today (if possible)

- Post 3bay items.
    - Re list items that didn't sell.
    - Work on business.
    - Sort out some knitting to take to moms.

xx
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well done on the 3bay sales.

It's hard when your Mom is so unwell. I hope both she and you have an easier day today. xx
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 15th Mar 17, 12:59 AM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,310 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Sorry to read that about your Mum. Hope she is doing better soon.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,472Users online

Martin's Twitter