Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aldo68
    • By Aldo68 9th Feb 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aldo68
    Disabled
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:01 PM
    Disabled 9th Feb 17 at 7:01 PM
    Hi there, according to experian my credit report is excellent but It also has me as having little chance of credit because I'm ' unemployed '. I am not, I'm disabled due to damage caused by cancer. Is there any way I can stop being labelled unemployed?
    Thanks for any advice
Page 1
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 9th Feb 17, 7:07 PM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:07 PM
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:07 PM
    unemployed is defined as someone who does not work which you are.

Just because you have a genuine reason for not working does not change what the word means.

However I will be interested to hear from others if you can change this.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 9th Feb 17, 7:31 PM
    • 29,038 Posts
    • 16,827 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:31 PM
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:31 PM
    Who told them you were unemployed?
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 9th Feb 17, 7:37 PM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:37 PM
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:37 PM
    Who told them you were unemployed?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy

Yes. Since when have these so-and-sos been recording employment status? Where are the getting the information from?
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 9th Feb 17, 7:38 PM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:38 PM
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:38 PM
    Hi there, according to experian my credit report is excellent but It also has me as having little chance of credit because I'm ' unemployed '. I am not, I'm disabled due to damage caused by cancer. Is there any way I can stop being labelled unemployed?
    Thanks for any advice
    Originally posted by Aldo68

Ah ... maybe you're going for one of these credit score things where they are asking you this stuff?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Feb 17, 8:15 PM
    • 24,969 Posts
    • 9,904 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Feb 17, 8:15 PM
    • 9th Feb 17, 8:15 PM
    I filled one in as earning a year and i got a great credit "score" and on another one i put a silly low price and shocked or what to find they "scored" me a very low figure.

The issue is only you and that company will ever see that "score" so its meaningless.

If you had not looked and did not inform them of your status then they wont know. If you apply for credit that company will have their own criteria on whether you are their target customer.

My bank offered me a credit card whilst i was unemployed. I kept my account in good order and transferred money in and paid the bills promptly.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 10th Feb 17, 2:03 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 10th Feb 17, 2:03 PM
    • 10th Feb 17, 2:03 PM
    Thanks for any advice
    Definition of 'Unemployed' - 'Not having a job that provides money'

You appear to fit that definition?

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/unemployed
    • Cai83
    • By Cai83 13th Feb 17, 2:37 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cai83
    • 13th Feb 17, 2:37 AM
    • 13th Feb 17, 2:37 AM
    In the last month I've been offered 1000 CC and 500 overdraft on my current account, despite being off work due to ill health.
    I took up 500 CC as wanted the extra protection when shopping online, and the fact it was going to earn me cashback on purchases (going to put the food shop on each week.)
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 13th Feb 17, 2:42 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 13th Feb 17, 2:42 AM
    • 13th Feb 17, 2:42 AM
    In the last month I've been offered 1000 CC and 500 overdraft on my current account, despite being off work due to ill health.
    I took up 500 CC as wanted the extra protection when shopping online, and the fact it was going to earn me cashback on purchases (going to put the food shop on each week.)
    Originally posted by Cai83
    But did you inform them about you being off work before taking on this product? Becuase you are obliged to inform people who lend you money about changes like that you know, especially before taking more debt.
    • Aldo68
    • By Aldo68 15th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aldo68
    Thanks everyone for your time or thoughts although I don't really think I need a dictionary definition. Unemployed & illness are not the same thing!!
    Yes I told them the information, problem ia as said there is nowhere to say you are ill or disabled & I think this should be changed.
    Cheers
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 15th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Unemployed & illness are not the same thing!!
    No they are not, but due to illness you do not have a job which means you are unemployed.

As others have said if you want a CC the best thing is to approach your bank. I got a CC when I was unemployed through my bank (I was on ESA at the time)

• custardy
    • By custardy 15th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 32,096 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    custardy
    Thanks everyone for your time or thoughts although I don't really think I need a dictionary definition. Unemployed & illness are not the same thing!!
    Yes I told them the information, problem ia as said there is nowhere to say you are ill or disabled & I think this should be changed.
    Cheers
    Take the chip off your shoulder.
    Do you have a job? No,then you are not employed.
    If its better,Do as my mother in law does. Calls herself medically retired.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 15th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    It also has me as having little chance of credit because I'm ' unemployed '. I am not, I'm disabled due to damage caused by cancer.
    Are you employed, yes or no ? Plenty of "disabled" people are in employment, and plenty of "able-bodied" people are unemployed.

Sorry, I'm not wishing to sound harsh. Look at it in cold blood from the lender's point of view. Do you have a regular income from stable employment ? Yes - let's talk, we'd be happy to give you credit. No - hang on, how are you going to repay whatever debts you run up ?

The "disability" ( in whatever form that may take ) is largely irrelevant ( and, I would suggest, open to many forms of interpretation ). Being "Employed" is a straightforward yes-or-no answer.

The bottom line is, any lender is looking to make sure they've got an odds-on chance of their borrowers repaying what they owe. Perhaps understandably, Employed=Good, Unemployed=Bad. When it comes down to hard cold facts, the reason why a person is unemployed is irrelevant.

Like I say, I'm not meaning to preach, or cast judgement - just explaining how it works.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 10,345 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Since when have lenders recorded a customers employment status ???

Never seen that box !!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 16th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 47,376 Thanks
    Prudent
    Cheers
    I think this is perhaps as much as about the stigma our society places on umemployment as anything. Disabled does not have the same connotations as unemployed (although the current government seems to want to portray both as workshy). I do not work due to long term ill health. If there is an option on a form I put myself down as retired as I receive a workplace ill health pension.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 16th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Since when have lenders recorded a customers employment status ???

Never seen that box !!
    Originally posted by sourcrates

Nor have I
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 16th Mar 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    Robisere
    Do you have any form of Disability benefit? - DLA, PIP, for example? Have you applied for anything of that nature? The Problem being, that such Benefits cannot, by their nature, be counted as Income.

If not, I would ask your local Council, CAB, etc, for advice about possible Benefits. If you have a Social Housing landlord, they can also advise you.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 29,221 Posts
    • 18,444 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Nor have I
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Nor have I, never seen a question about employment status on the credit reference agencies.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 16th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I think this is perhaps as much as about the stigma our society places on umemployment as anything. Disabled does not have the same connotations as unemployed (although the current government seems to want to portray both as workshy). I do not work due to long term ill health.
    Originally posted by Prudent
    I didnt work for 6 years I wasn't disabled nor was I claiming any kind of benefits. It was my choice to be a stay at home mum my partner earned enough to support us, this was not a unique situation lots of people choose to so the same.

I was still unemployed.

• camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 16th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    camelot1971
    I think the OP is getting confused between lenders asking for employment status (which is fine) and a CCA (which I have never seen on any of the 3 agency reports).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,058Posts Today

6,078Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin