Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Student Money Saving > Printer which takes cheapest ink? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Printer which takes cheapest ink?
Views: 113,854
# 1
stars_bright
Old 24-09-2007, 11:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Printer which takes cheapest ink?

My son is off to Uni in the next few days and I have just thought that he will need a printer for his PC. I have found that the cost of ink, over the years, is much more than the purchase price of the printer, so I was wondering which printer would be best to buy from the point of view of cheapest ink?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
U've been framed
Old 25-09-2007, 12:24 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Probably an Epson or a Canon. Cheap ink is easily available for both these brands. HP ink cartridges are more expensive because they include the print heads. I wouldn't consider any other make of printer.
# 3
laura mac
Old 25-09-2007, 12:38 AM
MoneySaving Convert

check on www.cartex.co.uk for cheap compatible ink cartridges. I have used them for my Epson printer and have saved loads.
# 4
Stephen Leak
Old 25-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Canon are usually regarded as generally having the cheapest cartridges.
# 5
CrispyUK
Old 25-09-2007, 8:56 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've been using a Canon Pixma iP4000 for a couple of years now, it's been superseded by newer models since but the range is still available.

Very happy with it, has separate tanks for each colour ink, plus 2 blacks, one for images and a larger capacity designed for quick text printing. Means you only need to change the one that's run out

Can usually get the original Canon tanks for around 6/7 each if you shop about and use cashback, they're quite a good size and last me ages Friend with a similar printer tried compatibles and found print quality was awful so might be best to stick to the originals.

Printhead is also removable so can be replaced although I think you have to order direct from Canon support - but quality hasn't deteriorated yet so haven't needed to try.

Epson on the other hand (unless they've changed recently) don't have removable print heads so once they're at life-end the printer is pretty much scrap.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrispyUK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Torby
Old 25-09-2007, 9:22 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

if his work involves mostly black and white (all text etc) he could do a lot worse that the HP 1018 laser on these forums a short time ago...39.99 and that should do him between 1500 and 2000 A4 pages at normal coverage...so if he doesn't want to print out photos....its a good buy...alternatively....I also have an Epson...Jet Tec do cartridges for them...they're cheap...hold twice as much ink...and are readily available form SVP and the likes.
I recently bought my daughter an Epson DX4000, as it will print, scan and copy all in one...a full set of carts (3 colour 1 black) cost about 12 from SVP, plus through Quidco you get cashback
I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons

# 7
Diminutive
Old 25-09-2007, 7:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hey... I'd really recommend a HP all-in-one. They are super compact and fold up all tight. The computer free copying can be a real life saver especially if you're nabbing copies of notes from a friend!

Then as fair as the ink itself goes there is a system called the peach system. This separates the print-head from the ink container. The print-head can be reused through many many ink containers.

My HP all-in-one takes black cartridge 21, the original 21 contains 5ML of ink. With the peach system, the alternative 21 contains 19ml.

For number 21 the first pack is 21.99 from cartridge people... with that you get one printhead and 3 of the inks (19mls each... giving you 57mls of ink for 22) Then after you've got the print head, it's only 10.99 delievered for the three inks (again 57mls of ink).
Works similar for the colour ink too.

The inks last for ages and the print quality is brilliant =)
The size of the printer itself is a real advantage especially for small student rooms and the HP printers are usually very good value!
~Diminutive
# 8
nasty nas
Old 26-09-2007, 1:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

You can purchase so called recycled cartidriges mine cost 2 pounds each, never had a problem with them
let me find yu the link
# 9
NickiM
Old 26-09-2007, 9:30 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hmm, my Lexmark cartridges seem to be really expensive *glad that she found them half price in the Post Office*
# 10
tankgirl1
Old 26-09-2007, 9:40 AM

i have a HP all in one, but cant afford the ink for it, so got an epson off freecycle- can get cartriges for it REALLY cheaply off ebay - like £2 for both colour and black
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
# 11
pinkshoes
Old 26-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

i had an epson stylus printer all through uni, and got the cartridges from www.inkcycle.co.uk which were about 3 each.

I remember people with Lexmark printers that always seemed to pay the most for their printers.
# 12
Kilty
Old 27-09-2007, 10:45 PM

Laser is the way forward if you don't need to print colour. (well, colour laser is an option but it's expensive )
# 13
stars_bright
Old 29-09-2007, 5:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for all the replies. He has bought a Canon MP460 and it seems very good
# 14
influence
Old 30-09-2007, 12:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Lexmark has the most expensive ink. Nonetheless, it works really well and print quality stuff for me all the while.

I think Epson and Canon have the cheapest ink and the most compatible ink available.

HP might be my 3rd choice if given to me.

# 15
Stephen Leak
Old 30-09-2007, 1:03 AM

FYI, HP & Lexmark cartridges have integral printheads - that's why they tend to be more expensive.
# 16
arrowsmith
Old 30-09-2007, 8:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Most Canon's now have print head integrated into the cartridge. Buy an epson and then the compatible cartridges off ebay.
# 17
madmags69
Old 19-04-2011, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi

I have an epson but we did not use it for two weeks and now the print bed is dry and it will not work again. I have taken it to three diffrent repairers and they say taht epson is the worst because you canno get to the ink bed to sort it out.

best wishes

maggie
The Following User Says Thank You to madmags69 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
HappyMJ
Old 19-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmags69 View Post
Hi

I have an epson but we did not use it for two weeks and now the print bed is dry and it will not work again. I have taken it to three diffrent repairers and they say taht epson is the worst because you canno get to the ink bed to sort it out.

best wishes

maggie
three repairers!!! Printers are a throwaway item. A new one will cost just a little more than the ink required for it and much less than the cost of the time involved and driving it around to three repairers.

Just go to Amazon then order a new one for next day delivery.

Terrible saying it and I'm an IT engineer. I'd much rather repair than replace but it just isn't worth doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
metalgal
Old 20-04-2011, 12:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We have a canon printer but recently i have just used it for printing out black and white stuff for uni, so i use the tesco value refill kit which is only about a fiver. You use the old cartridge and use the tool given to put in a hole then syringe the ink into the cartridge and then put a wee rubber stopper in the hole (tip use the end of the syringe to push it in as its small and fiddly) you get three bottles of ink in the pack and they last absolutely ages. it takes a few minutes and you need to wear gloves and put newspaper down as it can be quite messy, but the money we have saved makes it worth it. AFAIK you can get a colour refill kit as well. So cheap and you wouldn't notice the difference, it fact at time it can be better as you will replace the ink more frequently than if you had to buy expensive cartridges so everything is nice and clear no fading or anything like that. The kits will do almost any ink cartridges.
# 20
Jennikay
Old 21-04-2011, 6:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

While this thread is years old - just to point out you don't 'need' a printer at uni. Been at uni two years now without one (though fortunately within a 2 min walk of a library/computer cluster both years...) and I've been fine. It's highly unlikely there'll be a printer emergency at 2am where you can't get to a 24 hour cluster somehow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jennikay For This Useful Post: Show me >>