Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 9th Feb 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1,992Posts
    • 2,451Thanks
    chelseablue
    Does my wedding budget look about right?
    • 9th Feb 17, 1:21 PM
    Does my wedding budget look about right? 9th Feb 17 at 1:21 PM
    Starting to organise getting married next year.

Looking to spend less than 10k for everything.

Firstly; is this an achievable budget? We live in Berkshire so an expensive part of the country.

Also I've listed the following things I think I need to organise and what I think it'll cost.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm way off on anything! Or if there's anything I've forgotten

Venue £3,800 (£75pp for 50 guests)
    DJ £500
    Photos £1,000
    Cake £500
    Flowers £500
    Stationery £300
    Rings £400
    Dress £800
    Shoes, Veil £200
    Hair & Make up £250
    Grooms suit £300
    Best Mans suit £300

That all comes to £8,850

Is that realistic?
    Baby Boy born May 2014

Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,078
Page 2
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 9th Feb 17, 3:11 PM
    • 8,367 Posts
    • 51,733 Thanks
    LEJC
    I agree with the poster above on some things,like the cake...again if you have seen something that you like and thats how you fixed the budget...great...but you could consider a cake from waitrose or M&S ....they can be surprisingly good and its an area you can make savings on.

The problem that most hotels will have about bringing in your own food for an evening reception is one of food standards and many dont allow it incase guests fall ill and the reputation of the hotel is then challenged.
    They my allow food from selected partners or outside caterers that they have vetted but in honesty these will probably be much the same price as if you had chosen the in house catering......but I guess its always worth asking.....
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    November spend £41.01/£40
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    2017 toiletries 40 out 48 in ...£8.46 spend
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 9th Feb 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 2,451 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Thank you all

The budget came from me just looking around online.

*Hopefully* my parents and partners mum will contribute a bit
    Baby Boy born May 2014

• LEJC
    • By LEJC 9th Feb 17, 3:19 PM
    • 8,367 Posts
    • 51,733 Thanks
    LEJC
    no bridesmaids I can understand...but surely the little man in your sig deserves a suit for the day as number 1 pageboy???
    Jan £41.60/£40
    • ceb1995
    • By ceb1995 9th Feb 17, 3:22 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    ceb1995
    Thank you all

The budget came from me just looking around online.

*Hopefully* my parents and partners mum will contribute a bit
    Originally posted by chelseablue
    With any wedding costs I'm a firm believer there'll be a way to find a cheaper alternative, perhaps you could make a list of things that are a priority for you and your partners and for the things that aren't either do without them or find cheaper options. we found that quite helpful for us to decide where to make cuts.
    Earnings 2017:
    Swagbucks £26
    Cashback: £27.04
    March 17:
    NSD's 2/10
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 9th Feb 17, 3:22 PM
    • 8,367 Posts
    • 51,733 Thanks
    LEJC
    ....AND one final piece of advice....before you commit any further or book anything up

get a wedding insurance policy....it may prove to be the best money you spend...debenhams,and a couple of other insurers do them and they are not horrendously expensive but worth their weight in gold if thing start to unfurl nearer the day.

google a few and get something that matches your needs.
    Jan £41.60/£40
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 9th Feb 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 2,451 Thanks
    chelseablue
    no bridesmaids I can understand...but surely the little man in your sig deserves a suit for the day as number 1 pageboy???
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Oh yes how could I forget him! He'll be getting a suit too, he'll be 4 by then
    Baby Boy born May 2014

• LEJC
    • By LEJC 9th Feb 17, 4:01 PM
    • 8,367 Posts
    • 51,733 Thanks
    LEJC
    You could also make quite a saving on something like your veil...if you are prepared to go to ebay rather than the bridal retailer that sells you your dress.

Its one item that quite literally you can pick up so much cheaper either new or from someone selling a very expensive one on....and it could sort out your "something old" tradition.

When you are looking for your dress too...have a look at sample sales and the sale rail ...or even plan to have a day out at one of the wedding dress outlet shops...if you find what you want then very good savings can be made that way.

Go to a few wedding fayres too...lots of different types of things there and whilst you may see the high end expensive versions on show it will certainly give you ideas of ways that you can personalise things your way to make the wedding just as you want.

Call in favours of friends too if you can,its amazing once you staert to talk weddings to friends and family how many can recommend someone or know someone who can help....you may not want a wedding car but if you have someone in the family who has a nice car its lovely for them to bring it to the venue just for you to have a few photos or a ride round the area....failing that you could even opt for an executive type taxi(the sort used for an air port run).....or as one friend I knew hired a black cab for an hour....much cheaper and more quirky than your standard wedding car!!!

How are you going to send your invites....post...start buying a book of second class stamps each week now that will spread the cost and also negate any postal price increase next year,
    also remember to budget for those invites that may be evening only rather than an invite to the whole day
    Last edited by LEJC; 09-02-2017 at 4:07 PM.
    Jan £41.60/£40
    • Nicolefury
    • By Nicolefury 10th Feb 17, 12:46 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    Nicolefury
    Ok I get married in June, budget is under 10k and have so far spent

Officiant fees £595 (including registrar and notice of marriage fees).
    DJ £160 (Mates rate)
    Photos £500 (Mates rate)
    Cake Approx £200 (Family making it)
    Flowers £200 (Mother in law doing it)
    Stationery £150 (All designed by myself so saved a fortune)
    Rings £400
    Dress £600
    Shoes £20
    Veil - TBC
    Hair and makeup £450 (myself and three bridesmaids)
    Groomsmen outfits £350
    Venue £3,500 (daytime 65 guests, evening 120 guests, food for everyone)
    Decorations £200
    Drinks package £1000
    Sweet cart £100
    Sweets £75
    Bridesmaid dresses £75 total (smug face)
    Transport £75

= £8650 so far.

I expect other things to pop up yet so £1350 in the budget to cover this.

Best of luck, weddings are a nightmare.
    Dooyoo £10.40/40, TopCashBack £17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/£10, Swagbucks 0/£20, Ebay £15/£25
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 10th Feb 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 2,451 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Thank you

Yes starting to realise weddings are a total pain.

I hate feeling stressed and making rash decisions so my plan is to organise one wedding item each month so I'm not trying to think of it all at once.
    Baby Boy born May 2014

• paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 17th Feb 17, 4:02 PM
    • 12,832 Posts
    • 10,926 Thanks
    paddyrg
    When you get prices for anything , don't start the conversation with "We're getting married and..."

Just about everyone charges a wedding premium (although with most bridezillas it's the equivalent of danger money) where a non-wedding equivalent will cost you less.
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 18th Feb 17, 1:25 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    michelle09
    OH and I got married in late 2015 and it was under 10k. We had 99 guests all day, no evening guests (I don't like having two tiers of wedding guests so didn't have any myself!). If I'd have had it my way it would have been 5k but my parents were contributing and had some set ideas on things:

Our breakdown:

Invites £80 (SIL designed, home printed, most of the cost was postage. Who really remembers the invite?
    Church Service £900 (Church, banns, order of service, church bells, marriage prep course)
    Rings £600 (mine and OH. Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham).
    Brides Outfit £230 (secondhand dress, new shoes and underwear. Borrowed veil and used old jewellery)
    Grooms Outfit £200 (new suit, tie, shirt and shoes.)
    Bridesmaids Dresses £300 (for three)
    Ushers/Best Man £100 (ties, they used suits they already owned)
    Hair: £100 (normal hairdresser charged her standard rate. Cut and styled five of us).
    DJ £500
    Reception Package £3800
    (welcome drink, two course meal, half a bottle of wine, toast drink for 100 people)
    Photographer £800
    Singing Waiters £1000
    (my one foray into terribly expensive wedding traditions. They were incredible though).
    Decorations £190 (placenames, favours, table plan and decorations).
    Flowers £50 (bought them and made buttonholes etc ourselves)
    Car £0 (borrowed from a friend)
    Cake £0 (made by an amazing friend who also gave us a single layer cake of the same type for our anniversary last year).

Total: £8850.
    And it would be relatively easy to knock a fair chunk off that price.
    • Nichelette
    • By Nichelette 4th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 2,764 Thanks
    Nichelette
    Thank you

Yes starting to realise weddings are a total pain.

I hate feeling stressed and making rash decisions so my plan is to organise one wedding item each month so I'm not trying to think of it all at once.
    Originally posted by chelseablue
    This is a really good idea. I rushed into everything and have so far bought 2 x wedding rings for me, 2 x rooms for OH and I for wedding night (long story) and a pair of shoes which I love but don't think I'll be able to walk in all day, so I think I'm going to have to get a second pair of those too. All of this was in a effort to be frugal, but I'm my own worst nightmare . I have honestly found the whole thing far more stressful than I ever expected so you're wise to do it that way.
    Trying my hardest to save the huge deposit needed for a home - £22,000/£?
    • DD265
    • By DD265 8th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    DD265
    We're skipping the wedding breakfast entirely. We'll have a late afternoon ceremony, followed by a drinks reception whilst the venue rearrange the furniture, then we're having sharing platters for food. This allows us to invite everybody to the "full day" that we wanted to be there but it also saved us quite a lot of money. I'm hoping for a really good chilli.

I feel really relaxed about the whole thing which is making it easy to prioritise what's important (I love cake) and what we're less bothered about (flowers). I also have plenty of time and have been shopping around. Found my dress for 75% off in a sample sale, bought my shoes brand new on eBay etc.
    Barclaycard: £900.00/£2907.26 - 70% paid
    MBNA: £2781.22/£3866.92 - 28% paid
    • SJP2017
    • By SJP2017 14th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SJP2017
    There are deals out there
    I'm planning my wedding for this December, only started planning in Jan and have found that if I put in enough time and effort you can find a deal for everything.

For example, we haggled on the package price at the venue to get upgraded drinks package included. We've also found a photographer with a special offer at the moment (bluetog dot co dot uk) - £900 for top package, all others we found we at least £1200. I found a dress I loved then went to The National Wedding Show at the NEC to buy it because I knew there would be a show discount - I got over £300 off just by doing this!

I takes some dedication, but it can be done
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 18th Mar 17, 5:01 AM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 3,253 Thanks
    ani*fan

I takes some dedication, but it can be done
    Originally posted by SJP2017
    Yes it can. Your budget is completely doable. Our budget is £8.5k for 80 people including a 3 course meal and more guests at night.

I went to a couple pf proper wedding dress shops, found the dress I wanted then came home and bought it half price online.

OH designed the invites then we got them printed at total cost of £35. And they're beautiful.

There are some lovely wedding cakes and cupcakes from M and S, and places like that for much less than your standard wedding cake maker.

Your buffet is expensive. Ours is a fiver, and 75% being catered for is the same figure we were given. Not everyone will want to eat much if anything at this stage of the evening, no point in loads of waste.

There really are lots of ways to save money and it's good fun seeing how cheaply you can do it once you get into it. Try not to let it all get to you. It's a lovely thing to be planning and you don't want to lose sight of that. Recruit all the help you can from family, friends, OH, it makes all the difference.
    Debt at its highest £18,780
    Debt today £8,715
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,479Posts Today

7,776Users online

Martin's Twitter