Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 9th Feb 17, 1:19 PM
    • 114Posts
    • 258Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Taking the plunge
    • 9th Feb 17, 1:19 PM
    Taking the plunge 9th Feb 17 at 1:19 PM
    I've finally gone and done it.... having lurked and looked for ages, but not done much or set up a profile so here is my first post.

At the end of January I decided I wanted to get back in control of things, including my finances. I've set up spreadsheets, started using my online banking at last (instead of telephoning when worried I was hitting my overdraft limit) and begun to make over payments rather than just the minimum.

I have gone through the over payment calculator and worked out that if I could manage £8000 a year I could be MF by 2023!!! Although I must admit it's one hell of challenge. However, I don't want this to be more like a new years resolution that falls by the wayside...... so please feel free to kick me up the butt occasionally!

Since payday I have managed the following:
    £52.51 OP on the mortgage giving me a potential £63 saving on interest alone just by skimming
    £321.50 off the credit cards
    £125 off my little one's school journey leaving £120 to pay
    £6.26 in sealed pot
    And £2850 left in the savings for emergencies

I know that paying off my credit etc is better, but I want the mortgage too. So am focusing on both, with the priority to be the cc and then the mortgage as there is only 1% difference between my loan and the mortgage.

Tomorrow is a planned no spend day - would have liked it to have been today, but petrol and parking were required. And the weekend will be tough with my OH wanting to spend money on swimming, coffee out and other little bits (he really enjoys spending, but has been getting better lately).

Please wish me luck
    Control freak taking back the reins MF and DF Wannabe
    M '09 = £103k M Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Original End Date = Apr '34
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
Page 6
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 23rd Nov 17, 11:44 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    So I finally got to open the hamper when MrJ arrived home last night. It felt light so I wasn't expecting much but there were 2 bottles of wine, some speciality chocolates, crisps, a cake, pates etc! He suggested we re-gift it, but there were a few things I wanted out of it. So we've agreed to regift the box, wrapping and a couple of bits to make DS1+GF's hamper and keep the rest.

I've done a £4.51 TTup and have thought of way to build an extra shelf in the bottom of the boys' wardrobe using an old unit that's in the shed.

Our dog is round at the vets for the day. She is having some lumps checked, potentially removed and being spayed at the same time. So she will be home feeling worse for wear this evening and my account will be hit too. Am really missing her not being curled up next to me. Am looking forward to bringing her home, but dreading seeing her in discomfort.
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 23rd Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Just back from lunch with a friend (her shout) so that's another couple of quid in the pot. I popped into the supermarket and picked up my free mince pies (claimed via clicksnap) and thought I'd have a nose about the charity shop. Ended up with a few stocking fillers (a card game and some books) and a designer top for me. Total spend today £3.

Also signed up to Shoppix and have a referral code that gives newbies free coins: CYL5CURJ
    It's another upload your receipts in return for vouchers. In for a penny in for a pound why not?

Still waiting to hear back from the vets. Praying she is ok.
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 24th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Well my baby came back from the vets last night very sore. She's been spayed and had a couple of lumps removed. She's snuggled up beside me and has spent the night in bed with us for the first time in ages. Am glad I can be home with her. MrJ is a little annoyed with the vet as we were told it would cost circa £350 and it's come out at nearly £800!! Good news is the lumps were fatty deposits and nothing untoward. In my mind that is all that matters, but the cost was something of a shock.

Has meant I need to re-evaluate my OPs for this month and Xmas present expenditure.

I'm stuck indoors today and possibly on Monday too. Need to stay in for the delivery of the joist for the bi-fold doors. Excited about having them done though so am not grumbling too much.
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 26th Nov 17, 7:59 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Bit of a strange weekend so far. Have managed to save some money by not going out last night. We popped into town yesterday and got some fresh bits. Almost killed the Sunday dinner as the joint was defrosting in the oven and I'd switched it on without checking.

Have a little one to stay for a few days as her grandfather has just passed away and her mum has asked for a night or two to herself. She is absolutely adorable. We are all enjoying having a littlie around. I picked up a puzzle in the charity shop for a quid and it's given her hours of pleasure.

Money shuffle has been done and an OP made. Will check the mortgage balance in the next few days and update my signature accordingly.
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 27th Nov 17, 4:11 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    So we spent yesterday at an outlet centre browsing the shops and picked up a few pressies. Came home to a beautiful slow cooked joint of beef.

Today the kids are back to school and my little princess has gone back to her mum. The house is quiet once more.

I've noticed that there is a very small leak coming from my boiler so I called the boiler cover people and they're coming round tomorrow to fix it. I also discovered that the cover is up for renewal in a few weeks and was astonished at the price they wanted for a year £370!! So I will be cancelling it at the end of this policy.
    Have just sorted out an alternative one that is only £110 in comparison and by going through TCB I will get £30 back plus £2.50 bonus! Thus saving me just under £300!!! Totally doesn't pay to be loyal. I've sorted it so that the cover starts a couple of weeks before the current one ends so that we remain fully protected.

Oh and to cap it off as I warned the call operator I was planning to cancel my policy he recommended I go onto their rewards website whilst I was still a customer as I may be able to get some freebies or discounts - subsequently got myself a hub and 2 dimmable lightbulbs free of charge!!!

Happy days
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 28th Nov 17, 8:54 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    This morning I've done another money shuffle, evaluating what is left to go out, what can be put aside and what still needs to be bought. Discovered my energy switch cashback has landed so that's been put straight over as an OP.
    I haven't made nearly as many OPs in the past couple of months, which is a little disheartening, but I have to remind myself that there have been some big expenses just recently including the dog and the windows. The windows are at least helping us to save on heating costs especially with me being home more at the moment and they do look awesome. Plus I am having to keep some money ring fenced for the builders this weekend. Then I will have the bi-folds I wanted for years.
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 28th Nov 17, 3:16 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    I had conversation with the boys regarding Christmas this morning and how I would prefer to get them things they really want. I explained the four gift theory and they both gave me a few ideas. Littlest one wants jeans, a watch and a book by a specific author. DS3 was able to suggest a collection of books too. They seemed to appreciate the idea too. I know I will get them more than four presents, but want to manage their expectations. In fairness to them they haven't asked for anything expensive.

Given I begrudge spending £8 on a book I figured I'd spend a little while this afternoon scouring the charity shops. As a result I've managed to pick up loads of bits including 10 books (3 for DS3 and 7 for DD), a pair of jeans, 2 starter packs of YouGeeO cards, a build your own race car, a board game, DVD for them to watch on Xmas Eve, 2 console games and a paint your own dinosaur set. All in excellent condition for less than £20! And the charities get to benefit too
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 1st Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Hmm.. so my plans for today and the next few days have had to be shelved. The builders arrived today and the lintel was incorrect for the job. So we've rescheduled the work and installation of the bi-folds for the week before Xmas. Hopefully it will be a little warmer then too!

Yesterday was a successful NSD. I shopped online and bailed every time I got to the checkout. Good news is my freebie light bulbs and hub were delivered. I'll let MrJ have fun installing them.

Today I do need to pop to the DIY store to pick up some paint to patch up where there's been some damage from the new windows, some plasterboard and a few other bits. I have a voucher that I can use and have figured out a way to do some repairs myself
    Also need to pop up to the local one stop shop and get some lager that free via check-out-smart as part of an Advent promotion. They will be stashed away for Crimbo.
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 3rd Dec 17, 11:20 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Yesterday we picked up some new curtains and rails. Installing them was a right faff as the plaster is shot on my bedroom wall. So we will need to re-plaster. Removing the old plaster is going to be a very messy job, one I am not looking forward to, but I will tackle that myself next week. MrJ managed to get them up though and I am pleased with them. We no longer have a curtain rail balancing half way across the window for some privacy at night (I've been worrying I'll knock it and end up breaking the glass) and he was right in that there was a bigger variety at better prices in the shop he suggested. 8 windows (very big ones) all now dressed for under £100! We can finally watch TV without the glare and have some privacy!

There was a Xmas market on outside the shopping centre. I felt awful after seeing the prices of the sausage stall and commenting that £4 for a sausage in a baguette was a rip off given we could go home and make 4 of them for less than that! As a result MrJ agreed, but I think he was a little disappointed. So today we are heading off to another local town for a wander around their Xmas market. No plans to buy food whilst there, but will be good to have a mooch about. Parking is going to be a nightmare. So we will be parking in the supermarket car park of one town and walking over to the other to guarantee a space and save on fees.

Happy Sunday x
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin