Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 9th Feb 17, 1:19 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 125Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Taking the plunge
    • 9th Feb 17, 1:19 PM
    Taking the plunge 9th Feb 17 at 1:19 PM
    I've finally gone and done it.... having lurked and looked for ages, but not done much or set up a profile so here is my first post.

At the end of January I decided I wanted to get back in control of things, including my finances. I've set up spreadsheets, started using my online banking at last (instead of telephoning when worried I was hitting my overdraft limit) and begun to make over payments rather than just the minimum.

I have gone through the over payment calculator and worked out that if I could manage £8000 a year I could be MF by 2023!!! Although I must admit it's one hell of challenge. However, I don't want this to be more like a new years resolution that falls by the wayside...... so please feel free to kick me up the butt occasionally!

Since payday I have managed the following:
    £52.51 OP on the mortgage giving me a potential £63 saving on interest alone just by skimming
    £321.50 off the credit cards
    £125 off my little one's school journey leaving £120 to pay
    £6.26 in sealed pot
    And £2850 left in the savings for emergencies

I know that paying off my credit etc is better, but I want the mortgage too. So am focusing on both, with the priority to be the cc and then the mortgage as there is only 1% difference between my loan and the mortgage.

Tomorrow is a planned no spend day - would have liked it to have been today, but petrol and parking were required. And the weekend will be tough with my OH wanting to spend money on swimming, coffee out and other little bits (he really enjoys spending, but has been getting better lately).

Please wish me luck
    Control freak taking back the reins MF and DF Wannabe
    M '09 = £103k M Feb '17 =£79.9k, June 17 = £73.8k Original End Date = Apr '34
    CC = £2900 £1650
    Loan = £7000 £6300
    Onwards and upwards
Page 4
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 4th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,383 Thanks
    Jessy103
    You're doing great jellibeanz! You're so organised, well done!! x
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount April 2017 - £64,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£3,246.76
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 9th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Thanks Jessy I've just caught up on your diary - you are making fab progress. I am not feeling very organised. If I'm honest I am more spontaneous than organised, but doing this is making me more conscious of things financially. It's also got me making plans and smiling over the little things.

I had fun yesterday when I popped into a couple of charity shops in town. One shop had a £2 rail and I managed to get 2 brand new dresses = saving of £74! plus a skirt, top etc. Am popping some away for our holibobs, but couldn't resist wearing one today.

And came in this morning to find a refund from the tea kitty on my desk
    CC = £2900 £1650
    Loan = £7000 £6300
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 16th Jun 17, 7:12 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    I've had a good catch up with an old friend today whilst on training and even better still the lunch, coffee etc was provided and to cap it off I got a lift in with some colleagues, which saved on petrol.

It hasn't been the most spendy week, but not too frugal either. Last weekend's shopping came to £60 and it was the same again today. That included the wine, cider and chocolate - oops!

The sun is shining and it is very humid. Hoping it is going to be a good cheap weekend with the family. Plans are to use up some of the food we have in the freezer and keep going with the salads.

Training again on Monday, but it will also mean I get to travel and have brekkie with Mr J

And I've only just realised - one week til payday! I am looking forward to putting a little bit in the kitty as the Tilly Tidy Ups have not been as frequent this month. Either I am slacking or becoming less obsessed - either way it's all good.

Happy weekend x
    CC = £2900 £1650
    Loan = £7000 £6300
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 1st Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    It's weekend again and I'm enjoying a quiet half hour on the sofa with the kids watching TV. I need to check in with the Mco to find out the latest balance and have a quick TT. Housework beckons, but I am on a mission to relax for another half hour hopefully.

Haven't spent too much this week. If I'm honest I've probably been a bit too busy with work etc. Last weekend we picked up a couple of suitcases for our holibobs and whilst the kids were out we collated some of the bits we've bought and packed. It felt more like we were packing Xmas stockings as they don't know anything about it and will be surprised when we announce at the airport where we are off to. We've kept it all on the cheap though, sun cream from Aldeeee, tees from Primarni, playing cards and crossword books from the poundshop etc and with it being all inc. we should really need much whilst we are out there. I'm really going to miss the dog while we are gone. My eldest is staying home to look after her and play happy families with his GF. Am hoping I don't come back to any parties, but he hasn't let me down over the past few years.

Right off to call the bank and see where we are at. The monthly payment hasn't gone in yet, but I'm curious and at least once I done that I can start playing with the figures again.
    CC = £2900 £1650
    Loan = £7000 £6300
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 8th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Happy weekend one and all

Last weekend was positive. MrJ explained that he really wanted me to treat myself to some new clobber and encouraged me to have a look around the shops. Naturally I made a bee line for the sales rails. Having tried on 8 items in Vallis I left with a dress and the following day we popped into the local outlet where I found a £40 dress reduced to £15!!! It was really nice to get so many compliments when I wore it to work the next day. Today we popped into Deb's and scoured their sales rails. MrJ is getting really good at hunting out a bargain. We've come home with a sarong, a smart top and dress for £12. Plus we needed padlocks for our suitcases for holibobs. I figured I'd look in the £ shop and whilst there for some reason I thought I would start in the DIY section instead of the travel bit. Low and behold 6 padlocks for £2 rather than 4 x £1 each. Subsequently saving £2- making me a very happy shopper

There are little things that are being popped over to the mortgage all the time. Every few days I'm doing a TT-up, my share dividends have come through so we made a point of paying that in today; I keep a washing up bowl in the sink to catch any water and am throwing that over the plants to keep them looking good without wasting money on running a hose pipe and last night I transplanted the runner beans into a patch in the garden.

One or two other little things have happened over the past couple of weeks including me grabbing a couple of lifts with a colleague to our other site saving me on the 20 mile round trip and when ever there is food laid on at training I tuck in. Though I must confess it has been a stressful couple of weeks at work and I haven't always been organised resulting in me spending a couple of quid sometimes, but then if I didn't I wouldn't eat and it would be counter productive. I will make an effort to prepare something for myself after the summer.

I'm quite enjoying this paying it off business. I am feeling very pleased with myself for the £6k balance reduction in 4 months. It's just over a year's worth of payments if things go belly up. Never thought I would ever be in this position. Am kinda hoping that I can clear it all in 5 years. Just got to keep chipping away at it. Onwards and upwards.
    CC = £2900 £1650
    Loan = £7000 £6300
    Onwards and upwards
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 9th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,383 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Well done on the 6K in 4 months, that's great progress! I'm sure if you keep it up you could do it in 5 years easy!!
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount April 2017 - £64,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£3,246.76
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin