Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markprior
    • By markprior 9th Feb 17, 10:57 AM
    • 27Posts
    • 11Thanks
    markprior
    Old CCJ
    • 9th Feb 17, 10:57 AM
    Old CCJ 9th Feb 17 at 10:57 AM
    Hi All

a bit of advice please, so i got a letter through the door yesterday from a debt agency, requesting i pay 2k for a CCJ i got around 12 years ago, TBH completly forgot i even got this.

Ive never responded by phone or received any letters as i moved not long after the CCJ.

So my question is, do i still have to pay this ?
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 9th Feb 17, 11:10 AM
    • 9th Feb 17, 11:10 AM
    Hi Markprior,

If a CCJ is more than 6 years old the creditor would need to get special permission from the court to enforce it using standard court enforce (such as bailiffs, attachment of earnings etc.). They would also need proof of the judgment - not just a claim that they have a CCJ. Does the letter give any details about a case reference number or a copy of the judgment?

As it is for less than £5k, they will be quite limited in what they can do to chase this without the court's permission. It won't be listed on your credit file or the register of orders, judgments and fines any longer either.

Laura
    @natdebtlin
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • markprior
    • By markprior 9th Feb 17, 11:20 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    markprior
    • 9th Feb 17, 11:20 AM
    • 9th Feb 17, 11:20 AM
    Thanks Laura, it did include a ref number i assume this is just there own, there was not a copy of a CCJ or any ref number regarding one, just a claim one was issued.

Should i bother to contact the agency or just ignore for now ?
  • National Debtline
    • 9th Feb 17, 12:35 PM
    • 9th Feb 17, 12:35 PM
    Hello again,

You can write back to them (using a standard limitations letter) to dispute the age of the debt. You would need to add a slight amendment to the letter to say, that you don't have any information about an alleged CCJ, therefore, they must provide you with proof of the judgment and confirmation that they have permission from the court to enforce such an old judgment, otherwise the debt is statute barred and they should cease contact.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Time-has-run-out-to-recover-the-debt-%28sole-name%29.aspx

Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • markprior
    • By markprior 9th Feb 17, 3:56 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    markprior
    • 9th Feb 17, 3:56 PM
    • 9th Feb 17, 3:56 PM
    Thanks laura thats a great help
    • markprior
    • By markprior 18th Apr 17, 11:52 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    markprior
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:52 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:52 AM
    just an update on this, i sent them the letter as suggested and received a reply stating that they & no other company would chase me for this again

thanks
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 18th Apr 17, 6:48 PM
    • 10,874 Posts
    • 10,551 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:48 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:48 PM
    just an update on this, i sent them the letter as suggested and received a reply stating that they & no other company would chase me for this again

thanks
    Originally posted by markprior
    Well done, great result !!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter