Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 9th Feb 17, 4:56 AM
    • 223Posts
    • 222Thanks
    Tiners
    National Insurance Contributions Query
    • 9th Feb 17, 4:56 AM
    National Insurance Contributions Query 9th Feb 17 at 4:56 AM
    Hi,
    Can anyone confirm that I've got the correct understanding regarding NI contributions... That if you earn between £112-£155 per week you don't have to pay NI and you are automatically credited with contributions... but if you earn less than £112 per week you AREN'T credited and are presumably supposed to make voluntary contributions?

This makes very little sense to me?

The reason I ask is my sister has been doing seasonal work for the last 4 years, earning around £140 per week for 9 months a year, if averaged out over the full 12 months this equates to less than the £112 per week minimum, so she has unwittingly not been paying any NI contributions..

She has recently been diagnosed with Stage 3 Inflammatory breast cancer and has been told due to her lack of NI contributions for the preceding 2 tax years she won't qualify for any benefits.
Page 2
    • fablanta
    • By fablanta 3rd Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    fablanta
    You are getting no less than the amount to which you were entitled under the old rules.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    As the old rules are no longer applicable, that means nothing to me. As far as I was concerned, after I was made redundant and my local government pension scheme (LGPS) paid me out early, I had retired and, as I had contributed for more than enough years to qualify for one, I was due a FULL pension when I reached retirement age:
    • I had worked for 31 years (at the same place) of a maximum qualifying period of 30 year.
    • My LGPS paid me enough so that I was not entitled to JSA or any other financial benefits.
    • (reading between the lines) the job centre rightly prioritized employment for younger people so there was nothing they could do for me.
    The job centre agreed that there was no practical reason for me to keep singing on (apart from maybe reduced price tickets at some places), so I signed off.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 3rd Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 5,790 Posts
    • 5,582 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    As far as I was concerned, after I was made redundant and my local government pension scheme (LGPS) paid me out early, I had retired and, as I had contributed for more than enough years to qualify for one, I was due a FULL pension when I reached retirement age:
    Originally posted by fablanta
    No, your 31 years would have entitled you to a BASIC pension - you were contracted out, so paying NI at a reduced rate and not accumulating any SERPS/S2P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,038Posts Today

4,232Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin