Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lea1079
    • By lea1079 7th Feb 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 6Thanks
    lea1079
    bailiff came to my house over 2015 ticket that was wrongly issued!!
    • 7th Feb 17, 2:49 PM
    bailiff came to my house over 2015 ticket that was wrongly issued!! 7th Feb 17 at 2:49 PM
    HI

Im new here and I'M very lost and confused about what to do.

yesterday i received a visit from a bailiff/enforcement officer about a parking ticket that was issued back in 2015! It was issued in whitby, North Yorkshire in September 2015 - i remember it well because it really annoyed me at the time.

My partner and I went for a day out to Whitby and we parked up in the car park but i ended up not having enough change. I used the Ringo App on my phone to pay for 4 hours parking - 12.18 until 4.18 (thankfully i have the full receipt with all details on). We left earlier than the 4 hours and when we returned to the car there was a yellow ticket on the windscreen claiming that we had overstayed. The ticket was issued at 13.13 - 55 minutes into the 4 hours that i had paid for. i was really annoyed and posted a copy of the receipt to appeal. i didn't hear anything back but to be honest id totally forgotten about it... until yesterday

Yesterday afternoon there was a knock on the door and a bloke was stood there who said he was from Scarborough Borough Council about the ticket. My partner answered the door and we didn't initially know what he was talking about - since that was the only parking ticket we've ever had from them i told him that i had a copy of the ringo receipt to prove that i had actually paid and that i believed that the ticket had been cancelled. He came in to look at the receipt then started making demands to collect goods from the house. it was only at that point we realised who he was and what he was there for.

he refused to show us any identification or documentation relating to the parking ticket. i told him i had heard nothing at all about it and assumed it was sorted since i clearly had evidence that i had paid for parking at the time the ticket was issued. he pushed past me and started lifting things to remove from the house.

I am 39 weeks pregnant too and the stress was unreal. we were really shocked and my partner said he was going to phone the police and the bloke did so. i found out the receipt for parking but he ignored it. we asked if we could get it sorted out and he told me there was nothing i could do - i had to pay £400 or he was going to leave the house with loads of my stuff. I was shaking and crying - how i haven't gone into labour as a result is amazing to be honest because i have barely slept at all.

the police came and they saw that i had a genuine reason for disputing this - to be honest, why would i avoid it when i have clear evidence that parking was fully paid for at that time. but the bailiff was putting more and more pressure on me. my partner offered to pay for me but then the bailiff refused to accept his card because "he couldn't see the security code on the back" it seemed to me he was intent on just taking stuff rather than resolving anything. i was genuinely afraid - he was actually picking up my new pram and baby things and i thought he was going to take them away. The police officer asked him what i can do to sort this out given the genuine dispute that was evident. he said the only way he was leaving was if i paid in full or with my goods - i handed over my credit card and he took payment of £395. i have no idea what this was for - no breakdown of charges or anything at all just a random figure to me. he told the police officer that if i paid in full then i can sort it out and get the amount refunded along with compensation? i asked him how i go about this but he wouldn't tell me.

can somebody please help me or point me in the direction of how to sort this out. i feel like i have been absolutely ripped off because i paid for parking and the ticket was issued incorrectly and now this. the conduct of the bailiff was horrific and has left me feeling really vulnerable and afraid to answer the front door, particularly if i am alone. i was in total shock because i wasn't expecting him and couldn't get my head working to figure out how to deal with it
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 7th Feb 17, 2:55 PM
    • 16,938 Posts
    • 21,077 Thanks
    Redx
    • 7th Feb 17, 2:55 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 2:55 PM
    as this is a council ticket and has bailiffs involved , you need to talk to sheila at bailiffadviceonline (search the forum for the details)

if anyone knows the answers , its herbie (sheila)

also, pepipoo forums tend to help people with council tickets, whereas we do private ones mainly on here

use a gmail email to sign up to pepipoo , but contact bailiffadvice asap first
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 7th Feb 17, 3:00 PM
    • 40,523 Posts
    • 80,920 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 7th Feb 17, 3:00 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 3:00 PM
    That is absolutely awful.

I would contact the card issuing company and tell them someone forced their way into your house and made threats against you until you feared for your life and that of your baby, so gave the thug payment details. Tell the card company to put the charge into dispute.

Then go to the police station and make a formal complaint about the officer who attended, and also report the crime of theft by deception with menaces.

I can't understand why the copper didn't arrest the alleged bailiff so you should ask to see the duty sergeant or the officer's superior.
    Bailiffs cannot take things like prams, or essential living needs such as kettles or fridges, and the copper should have known this.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • lea1079
    • By lea1079 7th Feb 17, 3:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lea1079
    • 7th Feb 17, 3:09 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 3:09 PM
    thank you, I've sent an email over to ask for help xx
    • lea1079
    • By lea1079 7th Feb 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lea1079
    • 7th Feb 17, 3:12 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 3:12 PM
    it was such a horrible experience, I'm getting some work done on my house at the minute and one of the workmen just knocked on the door... i had a panic attack and freaked out until i saw his high vis through the door glass

thankfully i had the foresight to pay on my barclaycard for that reason... i think it was the only moment my head switched into gear. ill have a look at the barclaycard site now and check the process, thank you
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 7th Feb 17, 3:20 PM
    • 40,523 Posts
    • 80,920 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 7th Feb 17, 3:20 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 3:20 PM
    I am told Sheila is vey nice and very helpful. You can trust her advice.

I think local and national press might be interested in this as well.

Police stand by and let intruder force pregnant woman to hand over credit card details.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Redx
    • By Redx 7th Feb 17, 3:29 PM
    • 16,938 Posts
    • 21,077 Thanks
    Redx
    • 7th Feb 17, 3:29 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 3:29 PM
    post #3 here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5563062&highlight=bailiffadviceon line has the contact details for sheila (unless that is who you emailed)

so for anyone else reading this and needs bailiff help, contact SHEILA (herbie21 on here I believe)
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Herbie21
    • By Herbie21 10th Feb 17, 1:07 AM
    • 775 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    Herbie21
    • 10th Feb 17, 1:07 AM
    • 10th Feb 17, 1:07 AM
    HI

Yesterday i received a visit from a bailiff/enforcement officer about a parking ticket that was issued back in 2015! It was issued in whitby, North Yorkshire in September 2015 - i remember it well because it really annoyed me at the time.

My partner and I went for a day out to Whitby and we parked up in the car park but i ended up not having enough change. I used the Ringo App on my phone to pay for 4 hours parking - 12.18 until 4.18 (thankfully i have the full receipt with all details on). We left earlier than the 4 hours and when we returned to the car there was a yellow ticket on the windscreen claiming that we had overstayed. The ticket was issued at 13.13 - 55 minutes into the 4 hours that i had paid for. i was really annoyed and posted a copy of the receipt to appeal. i didn't hear anything back but to be honest id totally forgotten about it... until yesterday

I am 39 weeks pregnant too and the stress was unreal. we were really shocked and my partner said he was going to phone the police and the bloke did so. i found out the receipt for parking but he ignored it.

The police came and they saw that i had a genuine reason for disputing this - to be honest, why would i avoid it when i have clear evidence that parking was fully paid for at that time.

I handed over my credit card and he took payment of £395. i have no idea what this was for - no breakdown of charges or anything at all just a random figure to me. he told the police officer that if i paid in full then i can sort it out and get the amount refunded along with compensation? i asked him how i go about this but he wouldn't tell me.
    Originally posted by lea1079

Lea,

I hope that you do not mind, but in order to help other viewers who may have a similar experience, I will address your query on the forum.

A parking ticket was put onto your vehicle and you appealed the ticket to the council. With your appeal, you provided a copy of the receipt.

It would seem that you did not receive any further documentation and without you knowing, the council requested a warrant. Here is what should happened:

If the local authority had accepted you appeal, they would have written to you to advise of the outcome.

If the local authority reject your appeal, they must provide you with a Notice of Rejection. If you failed to reply, a Charge Certificate would be issued followed by an Order for Recovery. There would be no more letter from the council.

The next notice would be from a bailiff company and that would be called a Notice of Enforcement. If you had not received ANY of these notices , then it is always always that there had been something wrong with the address and in most cases, this would be due to the person moving house and not updating their address details with DVLA.

Have you moved address?

Did you update your address details?

If you had not received any of the notices, it is a simple matter of submitting an Out of Time witness statement with the Traffic Enforcement Centre. Before doing so, you will need to ascertain what address all notices had been sent to.

Have you spoken with the council to ask whether they received your 'appeal'?

If you can post back, I will gladly assist you with drafting the Out of Time witness statement. I will NOT be charging you a fee.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 10-02-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Inappropriate link
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Feb 17, 10:29 AM
    • 51,886 Posts
    • 65,536 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Feb 17, 10:29 AM
    • 10th Feb 17, 10:29 AM
    Thanks for that information, Herbie21. Good to see you posting here about these bailiff cases.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 10th Feb 17, 10:32 AM
    • 10,253 Posts
    • 9,388 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    That is absolutely awful.

I would contact the card issuing company and tell them someone forced their way into your house and made threats against you until you feared for your life and that of your baby, so gave the thug payment details. Tell the card company to put the charge into dispute.

Then go to the police station and make a formal complaint about the officer who attended, and also report the crime of theft by deception with menaces.

I can't understand why the copper didn't arrest the alleged bailiff so you should ask to see the duty sergeant or the officer's superior.
    Bailiffs cannot take things like prams, or essential living needs such as kettles or fridges, and the copper should have known this.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    If you put the card payment in dispute, the bailiff will simply return with added fees on top.

You need to get the matter sorted out with the council because, of course, there is a possibility that your credit file will also reflect the debt.
    Last edited by Guys Dad; 10-02-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 10th Feb 17, 11:24 AM
    • 6,098 Posts
    • 5,527 Thanks
    Herzlos
    I thought bailiffs didn't take credit cards?

As said though, cancelling the payment may only make things more expensive, you're best leaving it for now, finishing the appeal and getting refunded.
    • Herbie21
    • By Herbie21 10th Feb 17, 11:33 AM
    • 775 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    Herbie21

As said though, cancelling the payment may only make things more expensive, you're best leaving it for now, finishing the appeal and getting refunded.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    You are quite right.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 10th Feb 17, 11:43 AM
    • 10,253 Posts
    • 9,388 Thanks
    Guys Dad

Originally posted by Herzlos

You need to watch "The Sheriffs are coming"
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 10th Feb 17, 11:44 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    they have even been known to take the cat!
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Dublindel
    • By Dublindel 10th Feb 17, 12:23 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Dublindel
    Doesn't he need a warrant of execution and it needs to go through the courts? The guy said he was from the council, not from the bailiffs office or the court.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 10th Feb 17, 5:24 PM
    • 10,253 Posts
    • 9,388 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    HI

yesterday i received a visit from a bailiff/enforcement officer about a parking ticket that was issued back in 2015!
    Originally posted by lea1079
    Can only go on what OP wrote and what thread is headed.
    • parkingbadger
    • By parkingbadger 5th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    parkingbadger
    Bailiffs Visit Demanding Monies Even Though We Have A Parking 'Zone' Permit
    Hi there Herbie,
    I've just joined this and reaching out to some advice as we've had a bailiff from Marstons on the door a couple of hours ago behalf of Scarborough Borough Council demanding £393. They've clamped my car and are stating they're going to sell at auction, when I enquired as to what this was about, he was extremely condescending stating our car was parked in a wrong zone earlier in the year (May). We've not rec'd any information about this and when I checked which area I have an annual parking permit for this zone and our permit was issued in Feb and paid for. We tried to rationalise and show the bailiff the permit stuck in my car window, we took him over to the street where the contravention they stated has taken place and showed him the zone, which he agreed was correct and that our permit covered. Yet asides of being shown this he demanded the monies to be paid, there and then!!
    We've not rec'd any prior notification, I asked as to why this wasn't rec'd he said it had been sent via Royal Mail when I asked if this was 'signed for' or 'guaranteed' he said no 1st class? I'm absolutely furious, my partner was totally distraught with the council who are issuing this type of 'intimidation' and the bailiffs who seems to simply 'ignore' what he can see and refuse any common sense or decency. Even after trying to rationalise with this individuals 'humanity' he was stating he would come and take away items, it was absolutely abhorrent behaviour, it was only after about 20 minutes of appealing to the 'illogical nature of this (we couldn't call the council as they had closed) he gave us a 'grace' and will call the council in the morning but has stated the car will be towed / auctioned if we don't pay!
    Please can you (someone) offer us some advice that we can resolve / utilise to deal with this situation.
    Many thanks and look forward to your reply.
    Mr PB
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Dec 17, 9:26 PM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 3,166 Thanks
    KeithP
    Parkingbadger, you would be best advised to contact Bailiff Advice Online.

If you want to continue to progress you issue on this forum, then please start a new thread. Trying to resolve two issues with two people can only lead to confusion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,266Posts Today

7,372Users online

Martin's Twitter