Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 7th Feb 17, 8:54 AM
    • 272Posts
    • 33Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Ofgem confirms levels for prepayment price cap ahead of April launch
    • 7th Feb 17, 8:54 AM
    MSE News: Ofgem confirms levels for prepayment price cap ahead of April launch 7th Feb 17 at 8:54 AM
    The levels at which a temporary prepayment price cap have been set out by the energy regulator Ofgem...
    Read the full story:
    'Ofgem confirms levels for prepayment price cap ahead of April launch'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 2
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 26th Feb 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    footyguy
    Yeah but how do they square that with the new cap on PPM?

They can't keep me on the same tariff because of the cap.
    Originally posted by Wig
    As indicated earlier

SSE will write to tell you about any significant change to your current terms and conditions, including any increase of price, at least 30 days before it takes effect.
    and perhaps consider that in light of the later news that

SSE has now closed EquiGas/EquiPower to new sales and can no longer assure us that the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff will remain in market for a reasonable period of time.
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/
    • superkoopauk
    • By superkoopauk 26th Feb 17, 4:23 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    superkoopauk
    That doesn't give SSE much time given any price change will take effect from 1st April. Wig - let us know if you receive something by Thursday.
    • Wig
    • By Wig 26th Feb 17, 9:02 PM
    • 13,530 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Wig
    Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have sent that email it might remind them they will have to do something soon. Too late now.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 26th Feb 17, 9:07 PM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Hengus
    If prices are reduced there is no Licence obligation to inform you. The '30 day' rule applies to price increases. That said, most suppliers would shout it from the rooftops.
    • superkoopauk
    • By superkoopauk 26th Feb 17, 10:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    superkoopauk
    Hengus - what if the standing charge goes up and the unit rate goes down (which is almost certain to happen here). Would the 30 day rule apply then? Or would it depend on the customer's consumption?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 27th Feb 17, 8:56 AM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hengus - what if the standing charge goes up and the unit rate goes down (which is almost certain to happen here). Would the 30 day rule apply then? Or would it depend on the customer's consumption?
    Originally posted by superkoopauk
    Notification of increase in Charges for the Supply of Gas and other unilateral variations

23.3 If, in accordance with the terms of a Domestic Supply Contract with a Domestic Customer, the licensee:

(a) increases the Charges for the Supply of Gas to a Domestic Premises (including by making any reduction in the amount of a Discount that is applied to a Unit Rate or Standing Charge); or
    (b) unilaterally varies any other term of the contract in any other way that is to the disadvantage of the Domestic Ccustomer ("Disadvantageous Unilateral Variation"),the licensee must give Notice of that increase in the Charges for the Supply of Gas or Disadvantageous Unilateral Variation to the Domestic Ccustomer in accordance with paragraph 23.4.

In the case that you cite, then it would appear that the Clause on Unilateral Variation of the contract would come into play rather than the section on a change to the unit price or standing charge.That said, it would be somewhat perverse if an Ofgem-imposed cap resulted in higher bills: then again, these policies are often brought in with the best of intentions but with little thought to the Law of Unintended Consequences.
    • Wig
    • By Wig 27th Feb 17, 9:12 AM
    • 13,530 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Wig
    If prices are reduced there is no Licence obligation to inform you. The '30 day' rule applies to price increases. That said, most suppliers would shout it from the rooftops.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Hmmm, interesting, thanks

But they would need to send me a new meter card, to program the meter.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 27th Feb 17, 9:33 AM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Hengus

Originally posted by Wig
    Have you tried asking them? You might get a better indication of what the cap means for your. Bear in mind that it is probably worth doing a full market comparison as there is nothing in the proposed cap to say that your cheapest deal has to remain your cheapest deal.
    • Wig
    • By Wig 27th Feb 17, 8:06 PM
    • 13,530 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Wig
    Yes, I sent them an email, no response yet.

Another thing, assuming they do change my tariff giving me at least 30 days notice and a new card to use.

*If I wanted to stay on the current "no standing charge" tariff... I could, if I topped up my existing card now, credited my meter with say £300.

My new tariff would only take effect from when I put the new tariff card into meter, which I choose not to do.

If after topping up with say £300, and I choose to prefer the new tarriff , what happens to me £300 credit when I put the new card in?
    Last edited by Wig; 27-02-2017 at 8:10 PM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 28th Feb 17, 9:47 AM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    footyguy
    Yes, I sent them an email, no response yet.

Another thing, assuming they do change my tariff giving me at least 30 days notice and a new card to use.

*If I wanted to stay on the current "no standing charge" tariff... I could, if I topped up my existing card now, credited my meter with say £300.

My new tariff would only take effect from when I put the new tariff card into meter, which I choose not to do.

If after topping up with say £300, and I choose to prefer the new tarriff , what happens to me £300 credit when I put the new card in?
    Originally posted by Wig
    As I understand it, the change of Ebico's supply partner will be processed just like any other switch of supplier.
    • SwanJon
    • By SwanJon 28th Feb 17, 1:19 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    SwanJon

Originally posted by Wig
    If your supplier changes prices they don't need to give you a new card to change the prices on your meter, it is all done electronically through the top up system, with your card carrying the message the last step from the shop to the meter. Otherwise suppliers with a million customers would need to send a million cards. A few years back there were price changes at least once a year.
    If you change supplier (in this case to Ebico/RHE from Ebico/SSE) you will get a new card, usually for branding reasons.
    Originally posted by Wig
    A lot will depend on how your supplier views this. Technically the meter is only a way to collect the money and help you budget - the calculation for how much you have used vs how much you have paid is still done on the same systems used for quarterly billed (or any other) customer. So in theory they could send you a bill for any difference in value - especially as this would be seen as a deliberate attempt to avoid the price change.

(I think the meters are limited in how much credit they can hold so you couldn't get £300 on it)
    • superkoopauk
    • By superkoopauk 9th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    superkoopauk
    I see MSE have posted a new article on the cap (I cannot provide the link but it was new on the homepage today)

Titled
    Energy firms to cut average prepay prices next month to hit cap – but some customers will actually pay more

SSE have said half of their electricity customers are getting an increase. I wonder if they have been written to. No mention of the Ebico tariffs though.
    • Wig
    • By Wig 11th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 13,530 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Wig
    Update,
    Ebico replied to my email, essentially saying:
    "Ebico is leaving SSE...if you don't come with Ebico, you will remain with SSE"
    "Ebico's new PPM tariff cannot be gauranteed to be cheaper for you"
    "Therefore, if you want to stay with Ebico on our new price plan you have to opt in."
    "If you choose to stay with SSE, SSE will update you with 30 days notice of any changes being made"

I am still in the dark....
    *From the 1st April my current PPM tariff becomes unlawful.
    *SSE has to give me 30days notice of a tariff increase
    *There is not 30 days left till the 01/04/2017

Would SSE be able to argue that a reduction in cost per kwh, and a standing charge being added on.... does not amount to a tariff increase, and therefore no 30 days notice is required....

Maybe I should email SSE and ask them what they intend to do.
    • WhoIsThat
    • By WhoIsThat 11th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    WhoIsThat
    Update,
    Ebico replied to my email, essentially saying:
    "Ebico is leaving SSE...if you don't come with Ebico, you will remain with SSE"
    "Ebico's new PPM tariff cannot be gauranteed to be cheaper for you"
    "Therefore, if you want to stay with Ebico on our new price plan you have to opt in."
    "If you choose to stay with SSE, SSE will update you with 30 days notice of any changes being made"

I am still in the dark....
    *From the 1st April my current PPM tariff becomes unlawful.
    *SSE has to give me 30days notice of a tariff increase
    *There is not 30 days left till the 01/04/2017

Would SSE be able to argue that a reduction in cost per kwh, and a standing charge being added on.... does not amount to a tariff increase, and therefore no 30 days notice is required....

Maybe I should email SSE and ask them what they intend to do.
    Originally posted by Wig
    I presume they will simply rely upon the following term of their General Terms and Conditions for the Supply of Electricity and/or Gas

13.7. We may need to vary this Contract to meet legal and regulatory requirements and you agree to us doing this.
    • Wig
    • By Wig 2nd Apr 17, 8:06 PM
    • 13,530 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Wig
    Hi everyone,

Update,

Ebico were offering me to follow them to Robin Hood Energy, the offer was about 3.28p Kwh & approx 25p per day standing charge.

or if I stayed where I was, I would remain with SSE, and they would notify me of "any price increase"

I decided to call everyones's bluff and stayed put because come the 1/04/17 my gas tariff would become unlawful, and they could not increase it without 30 days notice. So I thought it will be interesting to see what happens.

I got a letter on Friday or Saturday dated 30/03/2017 from SSE, telling me

From 31/03/17 my gas price will be doming down to 3.28p Kwh with nil standing charge.

For now, my bluff/patience has paid off. Now we wait to see when the price rise letter will come .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,295Posts Today

7,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin