Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonners85
    • By Jonners85 6th Feb 17, 9:10 PM
    • 109Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Jonners85
    DAB Radio
    • 6th Feb 17, 9:10 PM
    DAB Radio 6th Feb 17 at 9:10 PM
    Hi there

I have a DAB Radio in my Car, Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB along with one of them stick on the Windscreen Antenna things, needless to say it is crap, the signal always drops out constantly!

Rather than chop and drill the bodywork of the Car in question (BMW 1 Series Coupe). I was thinking of getting one of the following:

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/sonichi-magnetic-roof-mount-dab-antenna

If I mount it in the boot area, will this likely work any better?

Thanks
Page 2
    • Jonners85
    • By Jonners85 9th Feb 17, 7:16 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jonners85
    Thanks. Did check for the DAB Antenna power setting, and it was turned on.

I have now installed the Magnetic DAB within the Boot area, and it is either considerably worse or maybe the same than the Windscreen effort when driving about (I will do some more tests, but it just drops out a lot!). Yet seems ok in some places when stationary. Not sure if I should turn the power setting off. But it is magnetically stuck to the rear deck that is made from metal, albeit upside down, but surely this should not be an issue?
    • Jonners85
    • By Jonners85 9th Feb 17, 7:23 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jonners85
    Forget to say earlier, I don't have a Dash Cam, however where the Cable for the Boot mounted DAB Antenna, there are 6 RCA Cables next to it, running to two Amplifiers, whether these Amps are causing issue to the Antenna I don't know. But as I say it's fine in some places when stationary in traffic.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Feb 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Thanks. Did check for the DAB Antenna power setting, and it was turned on.

I have now installed the Magnetic DAB within the Boot area, and it is either considerably worse or maybe the same than the Windscreen effort when driving about (I will do some more tests, but it just drops out a lot!). Yet seems ok in some places when stationary. Not sure if I should turn the power setting off. But it is magnetically stuck to the rear deck that is made from metal, albeit upside down, but surely this should not be an issue?
    Originally posted by Jonners85
    Of course its an issue, you've put the antenna inside a sealed metal box which is effectively a Faraday Cage. The antenna needs to be on the outside of the car. Radio signals on a rudimentary level don't pass through metal. Stick it on top of the boot lid on the outside where it is designed to be.
    • Jonners85
    • By Jonners85 9th Feb 17, 7:28 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jonners85
    I don't see nor understand why some reviews say it works fine within the Car though. Unless it's a blag,

We did have a Portable DAB Radio, Yet worked fine indoors. But I know Houses don't move, or atleast shouldn't
    • almillar
    • By almillar 10th Feb 17, 1:18 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    almillar
    I've got this or very similar - easy-ish to install because it's at the front of the car - you need to run a cable from the stereo, across the passenger side (maybe under/behind the glovebox), up the A-pillar, and across the top of the windscreen, and stick the aerial 'behind' the rear-view mirror - I don't notice it while driving.
    http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/autoleads-dab-film-antenna-smb-dab-aa1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Feb 17, 8:13 PM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    Tarambor
    I don't see nor understand why some reviews say it works fine within the Car though. Unless it's a blag,
    Originally posted by Jonners85
    Within the cabin where there are windows which may not have as much metallic content in as yours they probably do work fine in a good reception area.
    We did have a Portable DAB Radio, Yet worked fine indoors. But I know Houses don't move, or atleast shouldn't
    They have windows and brick walls, both of which let radio signals through a hell of a lot better than sheet steel. A portable DAB radio, like any radio, will receive better outside than in but its just that the reception was good enough in your house that it worked OK.

For what its worth I'm a licensed amateur radio op with a full license having passed an advanced course and do a lot of weak signal work and experimentation with antennas as well as mobile operating and vehicle installs so give my advice from a position of knowledge a bit more than your average person has.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 10-02-2017 at 8:21 PM.
    • Alvinm
    • By Alvinm 2nd Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alvinm
    BMW DAB Radio Keeps Rebooting
    Hi all,

This is my first post - I searched around but have yet to find an answer apart from going into a BMW garage itself.

I took my BMW 1 Series 2013, to my local trusted garage for a service a few months ago, and ever since, whenever I turn the car off and then on again, the radio looks as if it is completely rebooting, starts to scan for DAB stations, and completely forgets all my presets.

My garage had no answer for me - Anybody have any clues?

Thanks
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 2nd Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    Stoke
    Hi all,

This is my first post - I searched around but have yet to find an answer apart from going into a BMW garage itself.

I took my BMW 1 Series 2013, to my local trusted garage for a service a few months ago, and ever since, whenever I turn the car off and then on again, the radio looks as if it is completely rebooting, starts to scan for DAB stations, and completely forgets all my presets.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Alvinm
    Sounds like the permanent 12v has been disconnected.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 2nd Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 10,140 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Originally posted by Alvinm
    I'd suggest posting on babybmw.net, you may get more answers on there.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 3rd Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    almillar
    Sounds like the permanent 12v has been disconnected.

Or, along similar lines, the permanent 12v and 'accessory 12v' have been swapped accidentally.
    No idea why anyone would be fiddling with any of this wiring on a service. Are we talking about the standard 1 series stereo or a retrofit stereo?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,578Posts Today

8,761Users online

Martin's Twitter