Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jogu
    • By jogu 6th Feb 17, 10:59 AM
    • 45Posts
    • 30Thanks
    jogu
    Worcester Bosch guarantee - how good is it?
    • 6th Feb 17, 10:59 AM
    Worcester Bosch guarantee - how good is it? 6th Feb 17 at 10:59 AM
    Hi all,

I'm looking to get my boiler replaced (Ideal Response 120; an internal pipe has split and is leaking and have not been able to obtain a replacement anywhere).

I'm looking at Worcester Bosch boilers. The two main options I have are:

1) 30i from British gas - 5 year warrantee from British Gas (quote is approx £2200)
    2) 36cdi compact from a local installer - 10 year warrantee (quote is approx £3000, those this includes filter + RF controller - BG quote includes neither)

The 36cdi seems a better replacement (the 30i would have a lower hot water flow rate than the Ideal, and we have thermostatic showers).

So '2' seems like a good option, particularly given the longer warrantee.

I have two questions about the warrantee I wonder if anyone has experience of those:

a) The installer tells me that the warrantee is backed by Worcester themselves. I can't find any mention of 10 year warrantees on the Worcester website, which seems odd. Are these kind of warrantees (it's an accredited installer) generally backed by Worcester?

b) Just how good are the Worcester backed warrantees - has anyone experience of making a callout under them, is it a next day-ish service like British Gas's home care or can it take days?

Thanks

Joseph
Page 1
    • philbostavros
    • By philbostavros 6th Feb 17, 11:37 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    philbostavros
    • 6th Feb 17, 11:37 AM
    • 6th Feb 17, 11:37 AM
    Hi Joseph

It's not totally relevant but I've had my WB Greenstar 30SI for 12 years now. It was installed by a local company and came with a WB backed 3 year warranty (including 3 year's free servicing).

I had a couple of minor issues during those 3 years, all fixed by the same company (with them calling in a WB engineer once, when they couldn't be sure which part to replace). The level of service was very good.

At the end of the 3 years, we had a policy from WB to cover repairs and servicing - done by WB engineers, though didn't have any further problems for quite a few years. Their engineers did come out very quickly when needed.

WB then outsourced their policies to Home Serve and as the new cover was rubish, I moved to BG. All has been well apart from the need recently, to re-pressurise the pressure vessel thingy.

I believe that WB have now gone back to using in-house people to their boiler cover?
    • ic
    • By ic 6th Feb 17, 12:12 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    ic
    • 6th Feb 17, 12:12 PM
    • 6th Feb 17, 12:12 PM
    My boiler came with a five year warranty as it was fitted by a Worcester approved local guy (at the time Worcester only gave two years as standard). After installation I got a certificate through from Worcester. I got the installer to service it each year as is required by the warranty.

It broke down at five years and two months. The installer couldn't fix it, so told me to get on to Worcester. They tried to charge me as it was out of warranty - so I got back on to the installer. He got in touch with Worcester and they rang me back and arranged a repair free of charge.

So my own experience is the warranty is worth having, but also it is worth making sure you maintain a relationship with your approved installer as they do have strings they can pull when things go wrong soon after the warranty ends too.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • jhe
    • By jhe 6th Feb 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    jhe
    • 6th Feb 17, 1:17 PM
    • 6th Feb 17, 1:17 PM
    I have just had a Worcester Greenstar Classic 38cdi installed 2 weeks ago.
    Fit by a Worcester approved local installer off their website.
    New Flue . magnetic filter. Comfort 11 RF thermostat for £2600.
    without a Worcester thermostat I was offered an 8 year guarantee
    With the Worcester thermostat a 10 year guarantee.
    I checked this with Worcester and they confirmed that everything is covered in the 10 year guarantee.
    the boiler must be serviced every year to keep the guarantee valid.
    My previous boiler was a Worcester Bosch and in its early days i had to call them out, they came out instant no problem
    it was me that requested the classic above the compact, my installer told me afterwards the classic is a better boiler.
    Last edited by jhe; 06-02-2017 at 1:24 PM.
    • jogu
    • By jogu 6th Feb 17, 7:27 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    jogu
    • 6th Feb 17, 7:27 PM
    • 6th Feb 17, 7:27 PM
    Hi philbostavros, ic, jhe

Many thanks for sharing your experiences! Definitely sounding like it's best to go the non-BG route and get the 10 year warranty then. I got another quote today from a local independent that gets the 36 Cdi (inc filter / rf controls & 10 year warrantee) down to £2,640. (The classic 38cdi wouldn't fit in the existing cupboard.)
    • Blakes7
    • By Blakes7 9th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blakes7
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    Worcester Bosch Warranty Not Impressed
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    I too was recommended to the Worcester Bosch ten year guarantee for out boiler, as they say you only know how a product is when you come to use it…. Hence the pressure on the boiler has been dropping to 0 several times this week now it has happened 4 times in 12 hours so rang today earliest they said they would come 3 weeks…. Not impressed at all feel absolutely conned – now have to carry on topping up to 1 bar for next 3 weeks as they said it hasn’t packed in – yes because I keep topping it up!
    • jhe
    • By jhe 9th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    jhe
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    I too was recommended to the Worcester Bosch ten year guarantee for out boiler, as they say you only know how a product is when you come to use it…. Hence the pressure on the boiler has been dropping to 0 several times this week now it has happened 4 times in 12 hours so rang today earliest they said they would come 3 weeks…. Not impressed at all feel absolutely conned – now have to carry on topping up to 1 bar for next 3 weeks as they said it hasn’t packed in – yes because I keep topping it up!
    Originally posted by Blakes7
    That is shocking 3 weeks !!
    mine was fit earlier last year, later last year mine conked , phoned Worcester they sent someone out the same day.
    a part was replaced even though it wasn't down to the boiler it had failed
    I wouldn't be accepting waiting 3 weeks that is ridiculous
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 9th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Ant555
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    I know this started a while ago but is it still 10 years warranty on Worcester Bosch?

Ive just had a quote for an upgrade to a WB 30 and quote says 5 years upgraded to 6 if I have the filter fitted. All subject to an annual service though.
    • jhe
    • By jhe 9th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    jhe
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    I know this started a while ago but is it still 10 years warranty on Worcester Bosch?

Ive just had a quote for an upgrade to a WB 30 and quote says 5 years upgraded to 6 if I have the filter fitted. All subject to an annual service though.
    Originally posted by Ant555
    not sure mine was fit last year with the 10 year guarantee.
    to qualify for it I had to have a Worcester accredited installer, a Worcester thermostat and also has to be serviced every year
    • jogu
    • By jogu 10th Feb 18, 1:13 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    jogu

The current offer has upto 7 years:

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/professional/promotions/extended-guarantee-promo
    • John_the_Boy
    • By John_the_Boy 10th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    John_the_Boy
    I have a WB 24ri and needed to use the WB guarantee. I found their technical support very good and they were also quite quick in sending an engineer out under the guarantee.

What didn't impress me was that the WB engineer didn't detect a gas leak (was later found by BG on an emergency call out) and that a 3 month old boiler had a gas leak in the first place!
    Last edited by John_the_Boy; 11-02-2018 at 8:00 AM. Reason: typo
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 10th Feb 18, 11:54 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    Yes it sounds like a Worcester warranty and their sevice is very good. I am very experienced working on them and was accredited for years
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 10th Feb 18, 11:57 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    Read their warranty terms. They normally charge around £150 plus vat I think for a new main heat exchanger under warranty after the first 12 months or something.
    • jogu
    • By jogu 11th Feb 18, 12:23 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    jogu
    Read their warranty terms. They normally charge around £150 plus vat I think for a new main heat exchanger under warranty after the first 12 months or something.
    Originally posted by MikeEngTech
    According to https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/professional/gas-boiler-primary-heat-exchanger-guarantee the main heat exchanger has a 10 year warranty. I cannot find any evidence of a 12 month limit or a £150 charge.
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 11th Feb 18, 12:53 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    Sorry just checked again. I have had 3 done for my clients. All had to pay around £150 and the boilers were all around 8 years old. Read the first bullet point of the terms again. If the installer is offering a Worcester extended warranty of 10 years on the whole boiler then great. But if it's only 5-7 on the boiler and only 10 on the main heat exchanger then if it fails inbetween these periods you still have to pay for their labour to replace.
    Watch out for for the pH requirements. I have not had one knocked back but a pH below 8 is not always easily maintained nor good for steel radiators.This is the big compromise with aluminium in a mixed metal system. I don't install them as my first choice anymore. Aluminium heat exchangers are for making the boilers more compact at the cost of durability. Prefer stainless steel where possible. They should last 10 years on most systems but many dont. So I think Worcester are a little unreasonable to charge for replacing an aluminium heat exchanger under warranty. You can't prevent the condensate from corroding them as it is acidic.
    Don't worry I don't want to put you off, they are reliable boilers and great customer service. Doesnt mention in the brochure about this charge and some of my clients were caught out by it. If you have the room then the CDI Classic is the proven workhorse of the range and built for larger houses, regardless of what the brochure says. The compacts have a small expansion vessel and this causes issues in larger systems so you may need an external vessel as well. I have a CDI Classic in my flat and it has never missed a beat in 5 years. I didnt need a big boiler but it's the more reliable of the range.
    Last edited by MikeEngTech; 11-02-2018 at 1:04 AM.
    • jogu
    • By jogu 11th Feb 18, 1:02 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    jogu
    The warranty I got on the whole boiler is definitely 10 years.

For reasons I don't understand the 10 year warranty scheme for the boiler doesn't seem to be shown on Worcester's bosch website, but it does still seem to be running if you use an accredited installer, here's one example:

http://whitesplumbingandheating.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/WB-WAI-10-YEAR.pdf

The terms of the offer seem to vary a little; when I got my boiler about a year ago you needed to have the worcester controls (as well as their system filter) to get the full 10 years.
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 11th Feb 18, 1:05 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    I'm no longer accredited with them, I dropped out as I was installing other makes more but I have installed all of their current range. Their warranty promotions for accredited installers is always changing.
    • jhe
    • By jhe 11th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    jhe
    Originally posted by MikeEngTech
    I spoke direct to Worcester Bosch after my installer told me I would get a full 10 year guarantee. They also confirmed it is a full 10 year parts and labour guarantee . only stipulation is it must be serviced every year
    • jhe
    • By jhe 13th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    jhe

I have just seen an advert by my Worcester accredited installer.
    He is advertising up to a 10 year guarantee on Worcester Bosch boilers. and Baxi
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 13th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 5,276 Posts
    • 3,069 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    It!!!8217;s not a guarantee it!!!8217;s a warentee no different to any other boiler manu out there, the main heat exchanger does have 10 yrs except it!!!8217;s the part only & will cost you £269 for them to change it, don!!!8217;t believe the hype or which magazine there are far better boilers out there
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

9,267Users online

Martin's Twitter