Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martyp
    • By martyp 5th Feb 17, 5:52 PM
    • 691Posts
    • 84Thanks
    martyp
    Sub £30 Android TV boxes - any good?
    • 5th Feb 17, 5:52 PM
    Sub £30 Android TV boxes - any good? 5th Feb 17 at 5:52 PM
    Hi all,

With things like the NVidia Shield being well beyond my budget I'm looking at the many Android TV boxes available on eBay and Aliexpress with the hope of decent enough speed and Kodi etc.
    I'm seeing many have the S905X Amlogic processor and generally 1G/8G on RAM and storage. Are they much a muchness and generally ok as a wide range of clones of the same thing or a waste of money?
    Just interested if anyone has any experiences or recommendations possibly?

Cheers
Page 2
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 8th Feb 17, 4:01 PM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    amazon firebox? if so, did you need amazon account and attached payment method?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Feb 17, 4:03 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    J B
    Did it all via great video tutorials here-
    http://troypoint.com/
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Are there any 'idiot's' tutorials for what to do with Plex on a Now TV box?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 8th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 3,022 Posts
    • 2,092 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Its trivial to set up an amazon account with a throw-away email address and generic card numbers
    (4111 1111 1111 1111 for Visa)
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • harleq1962
    • By harleq1962 8th Feb 17, 5:01 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    harleq1962
    friend experimented with kodi 14 15 16 and 17 , eventually went back to kodi 14,
    Some say Kodi 17 does not work as well as 15/16 .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    • pedrothefish
    • By pedrothefish 8th Feb 17, 5:54 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    pedrothefish
    Kodi
    Mr -Toad only this afternoon I put kodi on a Pi one using LibreElec it does work but only on the lowest stream, ie 720p or lower, it just locked up on 1080p, but that could be my broadband,although it is wired into my router.
    I used this tutorial and it worked first time! Result!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbNTEYdTVu4

good luck
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Feb 17, 7:56 PM
    • 8,768 Posts
    • 13,375 Thanks
    worried jim
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Ive had an account for three years for Prime so it made no difference. It does have just about every tv channel from around the world on it now though.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Feb 17, 7:57 PM
    • 8,768 Posts
    • 13,375 Thanks
    worried jim
    Are there any 'idiot's' tutorials for what to do with Plex on a Now TV box?
    Originally posted by J B
    I know you can buy a now box with plex and all the channels from-

https://www.pikaflik.co.uk/collections/plex-products/products/satplex-in-a-box-for-12-months?variant=6148677252

£70.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Feb 17, 10:01 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    J B
    Originally posted by worried jim
    I have the box.
    I've put Plex on it, just unsure as where to go next ...
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 8th Feb 17, 11:12 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    EdwardB
    This thread seems like a good opportunity to ask a question.

Are the boxes recommended above, or others, better for Kodi than the Amazon TV Firestick?

Someone told me about Kodi a year or so ago and because the Firestick was so cheap I bought one to play with. I set it up and use it mainly for accessing my NAS based music.

It spent a long time used only for the music but I had a load of photos someone wanted to see and it was great for that too. Lately I've been watching some stuff on Kodi, I don't normally watch much TV but during the winter I tend watch more and the more I've used it the more I like it, hence the question.

At around £40-£50 I'd be happy to upgrade the Firestick if these boxes offer an improvement.
    Originally posted by Mr_Toad
    In my experience the Firesticks OK as long as you are happy with the Res, I prefer Roku devices, they do a 4k one now if you have the bucks. Good news is it makes the Roku3 cheaper.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. Thatís the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you donít like someone, their situation, their question or feel theyíre intruding on Ďyour boardí then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 9th Feb 17, 12:50 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Hi all,
    With things like the NVidia Shield being well beyond my budget I'm looking at the many Android TV boxes available on eBay and Aliexpress with the hope of decent enough speed and Kodi etc.
    I'm seeing many have the S905X Amlogic processor and generally 1G/8G on RAM and storage. Are they much a muchness and generally ok as a wide range of clones of the same thing or a waste of money?
    Just interested if anyone has any experiences or recommendations possibly?
    Cheers
    Originally posted by martyp
    I never got on with Kodi, I went with Plex.tv and love it.

Entry level at £10 by buying a Sky NowTV box without subscription. It is a rebadged low end Roku.

Can get good Roku deals on eBay and now that Roku 4k is out Roku3 price is dropping.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. Thatís the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you donít like someone, their situation, their question or feel theyíre intruding on Ďyour boardí then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • henm2
    • By henm2 9th Feb 17, 6:39 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    henm2
    friend experimented with kodi 14 15 16 and 17 , eventually went back to kodi 14,
    Originally posted by harleq1962
    Kodi 17 is fine provided that after you install it you change the skin from its default one to 'confluence' which is the one used for 16.1.
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 9th Feb 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    I have the box.
    I've put Plex on it, just unsure as where to go next ...
    Originally posted by J B
    The normal usage of Plex is to set up your Plex server with your content on, which you can then deliver to any other device (iOS/android/ Now box) running the Plex client, both at home and out and about
    I do this for all my home movies, photos etc

I also hear talk of 'subscription' Plex which could be people 'selling 'access to their Plex server, which I'm guessing has pirate content on it ?
    Since I doubt anyone would want to pay for access to my home movies

So might not be a subject for discussion here

If anyone wants to correct me on the Subscription Plex, please do, happy to be corrected
    • mttylad
    • By mttylad 9th Feb 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,474 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    mttylad
    For the raspberry Pi you need the pi, an SD card, an enclosure, a power supply and (what about the remote?) the nowhow on how to set it up. so it's not a mere £30.

For the Firestick it may be OK on wifi but I found it to be "just OK", often problematic - they are also locked to Amazon so you have to mess around to bypass that.

Getting an MXQ type box that's it, they come pre installed with KODI 16, in a neat box with a remote, they can be wifi or wired (which is far better), it has additional USB ports if you want to add an additional USB drive or airmouse or keyboard (or all) with more onboard storage and work extremely well.

If I had to get another media box - it would be one of the MXQ type rather than trying to cobble something together with a pi or firestick.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 10th Feb 17, 11:22 AM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    For the raspberry Pi you need the pi, an SD card, an enclosure, a power supply and (what about the remote?) the nowhow on how to set it up. so it's not a mere £30.
    Originally posted by mttylad
    bought a new pi 3 last week for £28.80 inc. del. you don't have to have a case but if needed you can get for £1 off ebay. most people will have a old phone power cable, sdcard or hdmi lying around the house. the remote is a free app called kore

it is not about cobbling a pi together its about having control over the content and addons. if you want a media centre all you need is kodi you don't need all of the other junk that comes with some of the android boxes.
    Last edited by dipsomaniac; 10-02-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • J B
    • By J B 10th Feb 17, 10:11 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    J B
    I also hear talk of 'subscription' Plex which could be people 'selling 'access to their Plex server, which I'm guessing has pirate content on it ?
    Originally posted by bob_a_builder
    Ahah, I think I understand now .... instead of connecting to 'my' media server, I have to connect to Mr Dodgy Streamer's server to watch pirated stuff.
    • brunoben
    • By brunoben 9th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    brunoben
    Kodi
    No men, Its working fine for me
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 9th Oct 17, 6:35 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    DoaM
    No men, Its working fine for me
    Originally posted by brunoben
    Huh ?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 10th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    mobileron
    Heres the best company to deal with,based in UK with great support and there Android boxes are very good.

Try getting a repair from some outlet in China.
    https://www.entertainmentbox.com/shop/
    • brunoben
    • By brunoben 25th Oct 17, 12:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    brunoben
    Kodi Exodus error fixed
    Fixed the Kodi Exodus no stream available. Thanks
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 25th Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    DoaM
    Thanks for sharing. We were on tenterhooks not knowing.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,146Posts Today

6,477Users online

Martin's Twitter