Sub £30 Android TV boxes - any good?

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Mr_Toad wrote: »
    there isn't a spare USB port of the Firestick to plug in a wireless keyboard dongle.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/172464927025?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-142405565586&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1007105&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0

(Other online marketplaces are available)
  • my friend is still using tvmc kodi 14 on the mxq box with all the extras added manually (some of the builds have too much on them) , the fire stick seems to have a better wireless range , the amazon fire tv box is much faster than the firestick and has extra ports
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Raspberry Pi

Slot in a micro SD card and make it whatever you want. This morning my Pi 2 is an arcade games system. Later on it will be a media center. And after that it may replace my desktop PC running Linux.

The Pi 3 is probably the one you want though with built in wifi.

I already have 3 Raspberry Pi model Bs and they're hosting various things including a website and network storage, they're great :)

Might look into the Pi 3 though...
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why would you want anything other than a Pi? :)

Today my Pi2 was a Sega Master System, Sonic the Hedgehog
    and a PC Engine, Bomberman. Amongst other games.

Although i have bought a cable to connect my Commodore VIC20 to a modern TV. So the classics on the actial machine may make a return.

Back to KODI, unless the latest version offers a feature that you need then dont bother updating. Tried the newer version and hardly anything worked.
    It even popped up a message to say what wouldnt work.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 February 2017 at 12:13PM
    raspberry pi best option for kodi imho. cheap (28.80 on ebay), easiest device to install and update kodi on, not full of junk like android boxes and you don't need to have a amazon account like with firestick.

28.80 is bare bones price for a raspberry pi 3. you will need class 10 8gb sd card and cables but most people would have some or all of those lying around the house
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I have three RPIs, one of the originals, a model 2 and the latest one. the model 2 runs my weather station while the Pi 3 is used for programming and general Pi projects.

My Pi 1 model B is currently sitting the drawer not doing anything, is it capable of running Kodi?

It has never occurred to me to try it due to the Firestick, however, if the model 1 Pi is capable I'll give it a go.

Is anyone running Kodi on a 1st gen Pi?
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • did a quick search on google ,
    http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/43884/can-raspberry-pi-b-run-kodi-efficiently
    Mr_Toad wrote: »
    I have three RPIs, one of the originals, a model 2 and the latest one. the model 2 runs my weather station while the Pi 3 is used for programming and general Pi projects.

My Pi 1 model B is currently sitting the drawer not doing anything, is it capable of running Kodi?

It has never occurred to me to try it due to the Firestick, however, if the model 1 Pi is capable I'll give it a go.

Is anyone running Kodi on a 1st gen Pi?
  • dipsomaniac
    it will run on a pi zero so will run on 1st gen pi but better to run on pi 2 or 3 due to extra ram. as easy to switch sdcards you have enough pi's to experiment
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've just whacked Kodi and Modbro on my firebox in about 90 seconds. Unbelievable! Did it all via great video tutorials here-

http://troypoint.com/
  • dipsomaniac
    amazon firebox? if so, did you need amazon account and attached payment method?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure