Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,782Posts
    • 17,941Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 8
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It was really warm out yesterday... not so sure about today I haven't ventured out yet ! Washing machine is on. Food sorted out for the day, items out of freezer last night so should be defrosted & cooked later. DS is in bed all day after night shift so can't hoover, good excuse !!) so I think I will just chill and put my feet up and watch tv
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Mar 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Was a NSD yesterday
    Got one load of washing dried outside yesterday and only needed the heating on last night for 15 minutes.

Today I have been out for lunch with 2 friends who I met on a night class course in 2012, one of which I haven't seen since the course ended, so had lots to catch up on. We went to prezzo and used a 40% off voucher, we drank tap water, so with tip the bill was split three ways at £9 each. We then went to wertherspoons and had a cup of tea £1.10 so total spends today £10.10. I have £11.13 remaining in my personal spends and still £20 / £40 petrol money left.

Two bills arrived today and they haven't gone up ! The new TV licence paid by direct debit so already in my soa is still £12.12

Also arrived today the bill for renewal for my DF's magazine subscription £30 which is his fathers day/birthday/Christmas present (we have a set limit of £10 each for birthdays and £10-£15 for Christmas) so apart from that he only gets a token present to unwrap at xmas. This is already saved for in the birthdays / xmas fund savings of £50 a month.

So all good

I am stuffed and feeling sleepy so may have a snooze.
    DS is having the last of the meat in the house for lunch & dinner later and then I must go shopping tomorrow. I can't believe how empty my freezer is, two out of four drawers are empty, the only one still full is the frozen veg drawer
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 46,254 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Really well done on nice meals out at good price and good that you saw your friends. I wish I could set a limit of £10 with non MSE friends. It's a nightmare and most of what I am given I don't use!!!! I slept for most of the day. It's the change in the weather I think. Today is the first day of Spring.
    Savings Fund £500/£3000 16%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) £10/£600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Mar 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I didn't snooze yesterday, instead I went into the garden and threw a few more things in the green waste bin then dragged it round the front for collection today. It wasn't very heavy as there wasn't that much in it.

Today I did my shopping on the way home from work and then walked up to the hospital for my blood tests & called into post office on the way home. I posted my DM a mothers day card and remembered to put in her birthday card (week after) and managed to get away with a first class stamp so saved 64p ! (if had posted them separately)

So about 45 minutes walk with a sit in the nice warm hospital in the middle. It's lovely in the sun but tried to stay out of the very cold wind brrrr ! Have just put green waste bin back in the garden & DS has made me a cup of tea. So that's 2 trips to tip saved by paying for green waste bin, am determined to get good use out of it so it will pay for itself

Dentist tomorrow Actually not that bad, haven't needed any treatment for years but they keep trying to take x-rays and those things they try to put in your mouth make me gag
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Just to add shopping today was £55.88. Still have lots of fresh and frozen veg left. Am hoping there is enough now for 2 weeks

Todays shopping included
    1 whole chicken
    2800 g frozen chicken breast
    2 x 500g (5% fat) beef mince
    Pork belly slices
    Beef roasting joint £5.47
    Back bacon
    Choritzo
    2 x bacon lardons

The beef joint was 100% British 21 day matured silverside at £5.99 a kg and is a real treat for us as its so expensive - am looking forward to roast beef & Yorkshire puds next week

total spends 294.99 / £300
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 21-03-2017 at 4:13 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Mar 17, 5:53 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 46,254 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Gosh you did an awful lot. Well done. Food shopping looks great. You wont need to get much at all next week.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Mar 17, 2:42 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Rubbish day at work. No support from management so now have to have a meeting with Oh before I even know the results of my tests To top the day off I have just got back from the dentist and I have to have a filling so that's £53.90 ! Paid for out of bills account, so at least the money was saved.

I also missed a call whilst I was out and I think it may have been virgin media responding to my further complaint on Monday (this has been ongoing now since 3 March !!) as I was promised a call back by a manager, so hopefully they will call back later.

Had to put £10 petrol in the car today as the orange light came on. So that's £30/£40. Hopefully that should last till payday and I can treat myself with the remaining £10 next week

On the positive side its a lovely sunny day and not as cold as yesterday. I have a load of washing just finishing and will put that out soon hopefully it will dry in this breezy weather. DS is out for lunch so I had his cooked chicken breast from the fridge with some noodles for lunch. Will do some more batch cooking when I have had a cup of tea
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 22-03-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Mar 17, 5:53 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 46,254 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Sorry about work. Dentist is helping you so I applaud you for going. I am too scared to go so I do admire you. Well I think you did so much. I fell asleep for almost all of the day. I just woke up and am making bolognaise. All I did all day was vacuum and that was about 30 mins ago!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 24th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    After a few very productive days getting loads done I was quite low yesterday and did nothing. So I'm trying to get more done today so I feel I have done something positive.

Still no response from VM so phoned again. Their customer service has been diabolical since 3 March and I'm sure they drag things out to try and get you to give in with your complaint. I have got to that point and have accepted £50 discount.

I have £26.72 to last until payday, which is £11.13 personal spends £10 petrol and £5.59 left from soa. May need some milk / salad next week but that should be all.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 24th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 46,254 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I think its the change in the weather that has made you tired and you are allowed to have an off day or two. Well done on having money left over. It's going to be a good weekend according to the bbc. You can sit in the garden and relax hopefully.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th Mar 17, 7:22 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Did some tidying, washing up. dishwasher unloaded & reloaded and put washing away yesterday afternoon. I fancied a Chinese last night but instead I had a mixture of hot & spicy / southern fried chicken & skinny fries from the freezer cost about £1.20 then I snoozed most of the evening on the sofa

The weather is looking promising today which is good as I have a mountain of washing to do again ! I don't know where it all comes from there is only 2 of us !!

Anyway, plans for this weekend for moneysaving and to keep me busy so no spending hopefully 2 NSP / NPD ....

Washing to be done and dried outside and heating off - towels and bedding and my work clothes

I will try and do some weeding of the raised bed outside my back door - inspired by SW ....
    it got dug out and trampled on when DP's replaced part of the fence last easter and it has a few daffs, some lavender and a small patch of campanula which have survived and the rest is covered with weeds. I want to get the plants out and then clear the whole bed and put some weed membrane down, then replace the purple slate which was removed and is currently in bags. Thankfully DS will be on hand in the mornings before work and can help with the heavy lifting (I haven't told him yet )

I also plan to do some batch cooking. Chicken & spinach in cheese sauce for DS breakfasts and some tray baked chicken for lunches / dinners (Cajun, piri-piri)

... and that pesky wardrobe is still hanging around
    May have to wait till DP's come down at Easter and DF will probably have it together in minutes
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-03-2017 at 7:25 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 46,254 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Morning you are doing so well. I am just about to have my second cup of tea.

We are both gardening today. It is a bit nippy here at the moment though.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Its a lovely day out there but very windy the washing is trying to take off !

My last load of washing is just finishing, the towels dried within an hour so I chucked in dressing gowns and 2 big furry throws and now I'm doing my work stuff which shouldn't take long to dry. I hope its nice like this tomorrow and I can get both beds stripped and washed and then I will be up to date for the first time since last autumn !

I've done the batch cooking, hoovered downstairs and managed to weed half the raised bed. I've put salt and boiling water on the weeds between the paving slabs - very moneysaving lol.
    I am exhausted. Having a sit down now, that's me done for the day apart from bringing the washing in later. Popping round to a friends for a cuppa in about half an hour.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    After chatting with my friend I have sent a complaint to VM via resolver, will see if anything happens.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th Mar 17, 5:41 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 46,254 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done you you have done loads. It should be good weather for the next two days I think. You must be exhausted.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I suppose it sounds a lot. In reality it was a bit of cooking, some washing and a bit of weeding with lots of sitting down and resting in between I still fell asleep in front of the tv after dinner though woke up when DS got home from work at 11.30 and went to bed.

Then I got back up as remembered to put clocks forward an hour !

The weather is shaping up to be nice again today so I am going to wash the bedding and try to finish weeding the second half of the raised bed.

It was a NSD yesterday and hopefully the same today. DS is working again leaving at 1pm so he has offered to take me out on Monday for Mothers Day
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 46,254 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am weeding a bed in a few minutes. Weather is glorious.

Good that DS is taking you out. I bought my mum plants.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    What a lovely sunny day. Its amazing what a difference it makes to my mood.

I managed to weed a 1/4 of the raised bed so just 1/4 left to do. My garden is looking nice with spring flowers daffs, tulips in pots, yellow celandine and blue grape hyacinths. The bluebells are coming up too which are my favourites.

I made myself a roast chicken dinner then went for a walk round the local pond in the sun and took some empty bottles/jars to the bottle bank on the way.

Then I was very naughty and bought chocolate brownie ice-cream. They had ben&J at £5.39 which I could not justify so I bought spar's own brand and tbh I couldn't tell the difference taste wise - cost £2. I've been asleep for 2 hours since and have hidden the rest of the evidence in the bottom of the freezer

The heating has been off all day and is still off. I will put it on for 15 minutes later to take off the chill if it turns cold tonight with the clear skies. The weather is meant to stay nice Mon/Tue with rain wed onwards.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 26-03-2017 at 7:33 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Mar 17, 7:47 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 46,254 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Your garden sounds great. Really well done.

You were entitled to icecream as you worked hard. Please, please let us have a nice summer and we can have many more days like this.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 27th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Another warm sunny day could get used to this No heating on at all yesterday !

I got in from work and washed DS's bedding & put out on the line then we went out for a late lunch.

DS drove to the nearby coast and we ate in the seafront tea rooms. Fairly reasonable prices which was a surprise although I wasn't paying as it was my mothers day treat Had a lasagne and a huge salad. I resisted a huge slice of cake and just had the tiniest sliver of DS's carrot cake which was scrummy. Had a wander in the sun then home and a snooze for an hour.
    Have just had a potter in the garden, the salt and boiling water has worked really well on the weeds growing between my patio slabs so I have done the rest of the path.

Tomorrow I have to go after work and order the fence panels for my garden. The money is in my bills account already & the price shouldn't be a huge surprise as did half the fence last year so hopefully prices haven't gone up.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 27-03-2017 at 6:30 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

994Posts Today

6,659Users online

Martin's Twitter