Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,722Posts
    • 17,754Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 7
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hi SW heating at home is fine its broken at work which is why they sent me home... so I am at home waiting for my "shift" to end and then I am going shopping. I have made a list and must stick to budget !!!
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 14th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    bobobski
    Oh I hate that - working from home in winter I always wonder if I can expense the heating bill for that day Still though, I'd rather pay for heating than go to work if I had the choice...

Sounds like you're doing well budget-wise SYA. We're already half way through the month, can you believe it?!
    #18: Save 12k in 2017: £6,294.83 / £12,000 (52.4%) | #86: Save £12k in 2016: £8,476.09 / £10,000 (84.76%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020: £16,931.32 / £60,000 (28.2%) | Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: £1,105.93 / £5,000 (22.1%)
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I feel a bit out of control with the food budget to be honest.
    I was meant to be trying to cut back but this week was £56.21 so that's £213.86 / £300 should be £180/300 Must cut back somewhere as I don't want to take money out of savings to pay for food.

Bank rewards are now up to £7.24 towards Christmas fund.

£15 taken out of birthday fund for birthday cards x 3 plus £10 gift to my sister and a Mothers Day Card. I will take mum shopping when she comes down and buy her something nice for her birthday & Mothers Day.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 15th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    bobobski
    Something I'm considering: with stores, freezer etc, could you do a week without a trip to the supermarket? I think it's too extreme for me but I might try an absolute-essentials-only shop like milk and fresh veggies (my fridge is always packed with peppers, mushrooms, onions etc) limited to, say, £15 and see how far I can stretch my stores. I know I have tonnes of spaghetti hiding in one cupboard and cans of veggies and things! Then again you seem better at using up your stores than me so maybe you don't have enough to feed an army like I do
    #18: Save 12k in 2017: £6,294.83 / £12,000 (52.4%) | #86: Save £12k in 2016: £8,476.09 / £10,000 (84.76%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020: £16,931.32 / £60,000 (28.2%) | Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: £1,105.93 / £5,000 (22.1%)
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    To be honest most of this weeks shopping money went on meat as DS is a large meat eater breakfast lunch & dinner. Our stores are very low after last month so I will cook up lots of meals and then freeze them.

I've got a beef curry in the oven and a breakfast bacon & sausage casserole. I've got a stew going in the slow cooker and am going to tray bake some chicken - Cajun, tandoori & piri-piri. I did a big chilli on Monday and a chicken & veg curry last night. Most of what I bought this week will probably be eaten this week.

New council tax bill arrived today increase of 4.99% gone up to £134 from £128.

Washing machine has just finished so I'm going to put that out in a minute as its lovely and warm out. The heating has been off the last few days apart from 15 minutes at 7pm and 15 minutes at 9pm and I'm hoping it will be off permanently from end of March.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Mar 17, 7:48 AM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 46,137 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Really well done for yesterday. Meat 3 times a day. Wow that is dear. There must be a cheap way round it. Does he have a girlfriend? Tell him to go out with someone who owns a butchers???? Gosh.

It is sooooo foggy here. I am going to copy you and clean my oven door - first time in 9 years. If you don't hear from me it defeated me. lol.

Have a good day.
    Savings Fund £500/£3000 16%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) £10/£600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I know I couldn't eat that much meat - but he does pay for his share of the food. I have realised that twice this month I have popped into Morrisons on the way home and bought a hot cooked chicken for lunch for me. DS and his gf - at £6 a go that's only £2 each but £12 over budget, plus I bought some sauces in there too so that accounts for part of the £30 over spend.

The stew I made yesterday in the slow cooker was just for me (as DS doesn't like stew) and had 100g beef in it with loads of swede carrot leek & onion left over from the super 6 offers last week and made 3 meals for me. The rest of the pack of beef (300g) made 2 curries for DS also bulked up with red peppers, broccoli, cauli & butternut squash too. He does a lot of weightlifting competitions and is muscular build, not huge but not fat.

I have doctors this afternoon so will report back later
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 46,137 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    You could send your son out to work as a Chippendale like in the Full Monty???

Good luck at Dr's. Hope it goes well. I am totally wiped out from all my housework and having a rest.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Mar 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Doc says maybe damage due to lump removed or scar tissue causing problem & only option speech therapy she is writing to ENT & million more blood tests ordered re exhaustion

Have doctors orders to exercise more so have been for a walk round the pond in the last of the afternoon sun. Its lovely round there this time of year all the birds ducks and swans were out in the nature reserve & blossom on the trees.

I get paid at the end of the month but DS gets paid in the middle so have just got his board money. I have paid my credit card bill £9.90 from the remaining month-free water rates direct debit & moved £100 into the bills account. I have £20 left in my personal spends and £20 petrol left. That leaves £86.44 in the food account for 2 weeks plus a buffer in the soa this month of £18.95 should be do-able
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    This month seems to be really dragging. I'm glad its Friday.

I was tempted when i left work today to go buy something nice to have for dinner tonight but I was so tired I couldn't be bothered to go to aldee. I have just had some stew from the freezer for lunch and will have something from stores tonight.

I've been invited out for coffee at cost-a-lot in the morning but cant really justify the cost and think I will have a lie in / lazy morning instead, as they are going at 10am I would need to leave home at 9.30am

I'm out for lunch on Monday so will start looking for vouchers & deals.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 46,137 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am sure they will find the cause of your tiredness v soon. I had that and it was so draining. Take it easy. Eat healthily till they find out what it is then they can start you on pills.

Well done in looking for vouchers. Cost a lot - v funny and true. Rest as much as you can once they diagnose it you will be running around as usual.
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 18th Mar 17, 6:39 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    bobobski
    Cost-a-lot made me laugh out loud There was a trick I heard about years ago which was how to get a cappuccino in Starbucks for less than £1 or something like that. I think it started with ordering a child's size frothy milk and going from there. I'm not a coffee drinker so I never learnt it, but it's interesting that there are ways around the super high prices at these places if you care enough to look into it.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Mar 17, 7:06 AM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    To be honest I don't really drink coffee so I usually have tea or a hot chocolate if I want to push the boat out and be naughty

I have been awake since 5.30am usual getting up for work time, DS will be back from work soon so I doubt I will get back to sleep. The girls are talking about walking to the coffee shop but its blowing a gale outside so I am going to give it a miss as my back has only just recovered and don't want to be walking against the wind in the cold

Plans for today ... I still haven't rebuilt and photographed that pesky wardrobe to advertise it.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 46,137 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I was invited out by a friend but I am not going out in cloudy weather. It is chilly and you are right it is bad for your back. Ps I think you shouldn't do the wardrobe either if your back hurts. How about just having a treat yourself day. Do a facemask, eat nice food and put the telly on?

Or maybe do a bit of wardrobe and have a treat. Then do a bit more and pace it over the entire weekend if you are up to it. That's how I do horrid jobs.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    SW you give such wise and sensible advice thank you. I always think I can do more than I actually physically can

DS came home at 7.30am had his breakfast and went to bed. I didn't get up and managed to doze back off for a bit. Am still in bed but planning to get up soon

I am a bit fed up of being skint but keep reminding myself that I am saving so it should be worth it in the end. As the budget is so tight at the moment I need to do some meal planning, so will try and stretch the shopping & buy less. From freezer / stores

Lunches

hot and spicy chicken portions with salad - DS
    4 southern fried chicken fillets with salad - DS x 2
    tandoori chicken with salad - DS
    curry noodles & stir fry veg with soy & garlic - ME
    ham & boiled egg salad - ME
    cheese on toast - ME (1 slice of bread left in freezer)

Dinners

cod fillets in parsley sauce mash & cabbage, broccoli - DS
    Chinese 5 spice pork chops with stir fry veg & rice - DS
    salmon sweet potato fries broccoli & leftover parsley sauce - DS
    chicken madras with veg fried rice - DS
    chips & egg - ME
    Stew from freezer - ME
    Freezer battered cod fillet & chips - ME
    Hot & spicy chicken portions with veg fried rice - ME

Breakfasts

- me Porridge - 5 days
    - DS 1 x chicken/bacon casserole.

So, we have enough food to last for lunches / dinners till Tuesday at least. The problems is DS's breakfasts and fresh milk. DS is no longer eating sausages for breakfast and wants to stick to chicken. So I have decided to go to the co=op and get some chicken breast, mozzarella, bacon lardons, fresh cream and fresh milk.

Milk hopefully is still £1 for 4 pints. I know the other things may cost a bit more than aldee but I can walk to co-op in 10 mins and so will save petrol & will use my willpower (I'm sure I have some somewhere ) and I will not be tempted to buy anything else.

I have a tin of tomatoes in my store cupboard that I can blitz in the blender and sieve so that will save me from buying passata and a packet of spinach in the fridge. So that will be chicken bacon mozzarella & spinach casserole and chicken & bacon in cheese sauce with spinach for his breakfasts. Then if I do a shop at aldee on Tuesday it should be enough until payday. (hopefully !)

Not sure if I will save any money this way but I CBA to go to aldee this weekend and Monday I will be out to lunch & too tired, so I will shop on Tuesday on my way home from work

Phew, sorry to have gone on a bit ... just needed to get it clear in my head, I think its doable.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 18-03-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 46,137 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello Skint Yet Again I'm only giving the advice that is given to me by my friends as we are so similar.

I'm sure Frugal Queen put a post up about why she money saved earlier this week and it was really inspiring. Google her she has a blog and is amazing. She wrote a blog about budgeting and why do it earlier this week. She always inspires me. You are doing the exactly the right thing. If they had medals for common sense you would get a VC. We are saving for the future as anything could happen and we don't want to suffer unnecessarily. We are only doing without takeaways, clothes etc sometimes and if that means we save money in case we lose our jobs it is a good investment.

We wouldn't go into the sea without oxygen so why should we head to our pensionable age without stacks of money saved up. I just need reminding of this occasionally.

Your food shopping and planning has inspired me to bring cookery books back into the kitchen so I can start to enjoy my food again. I'm off to cooked chicken wings and will eat well today. I might do a food shop soon but I reckon I could make tomato soup tomorrow to use up some things in fridge.

Do you have SAM Fm? I have it on and it is really good music. Good for housework and cooking. Am boogying badly!!!!
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 18-03-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Mar 17, 2:00 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Enjoy your boogying SW ... badly or otherwise

I wrapped up for a walk to the co-op and I was boiling hot ! Although it is windy it is not cold and I had to strip off my cardi & gloves for the walk back as a coat was enough. Its looking very grey out there but no rain so far. Washing machine is on just finishing the final spin

I was overthinking things this morning I only need 2 breakfasts for DS so I only spent £8.97

4 pints skimmed milk £1 same as aldi
    chicken breasts 620g £4.89 per kg =78p per 100g aldi 49p per 100g

chicken = 1.80 more
    double cream 1.19 aldi 79p = 40p more
    bacon lardons 1.89 aldi 99p = 90p more

Total £3.10 more than aldi wow it certainly adds up, however petrol spent 0.00

The smaller packs of chicken were more expensive per kg so the larger pack was better value and means there is extra 200g chicken for another lunch/dinner.

A friend has just phoned to have a vent about her ex-OH so she is coming round later for some cheering up.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 46,137 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Big difference in prices. I wish one was closer to me.

Have a good night with friend. Cheer her up.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    My friend came round for a couple of hours yesterday and we had a moan and a laugh and felt better after. Its good to have friends round in person, not just on the end of the phone.

As it was quite warm but windy yesterday I got one load of washing dry on the line & cut the grass for the first time this year. It was quite long and I have a little hover mower so I don't normally collect the clippings but there was a lot so I raked to a pile and went to put it in the green waste bin. When I lifted the lid there was a little frog sat in there - made me jump ! Haha. Poor thing must have been in the pond waste my neighbour put in last week. I laid the bin down and let it out. The garden looks a lot tidier now.

Then I cooked up some of the chicken with spinach bacon & cheese sauce for DS's breakfasts DS had some cod from the freezer for his tea - it had been in there since November ! Feels good to be using stuff up. I cooked some oven chips last night but fell asleep and burnt them there wasn't any smoke but the house smells horrible so I am going to open all the windows later today and let some air blow through. Thankfully I wasn't using an old fashioned chip pan or might have burnt the house down! I'm surprised there wasn't more smoke as they were black - that reminds me must test the smoke alarms today.

DS home from work soon so will see what the weather is like later maybe get some more washing done, sounds very windy out there again.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 19-03-2017 at 7:33 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 46,137 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Morning. Well done on waking up before anything happened in the kitchen. I had a habit of sleeping and burning things in my 20s my diabetes was terrible then too. Now I don't take the risk. I cook and wait close by as I know I fall all the time with tiredness.

I think you were really brave to mow the grass yesterday it looks too cold for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,182Posts Today

6,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin