Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,532Posts
    • 17,165Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    2. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 6
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have just done my weekly shop as aldee they had oven pride at £2.99 so I picked one up for next time

Shopping March now £127.93 / £300 - budget is £60 a week x 2 weeks so not far off target.

Orange petrol light was on this morning so the car was empty. I put £20 in at Tesco on my way to work & used my clubcard.

I need to get a surge extension lead this month & some lightbulbs which I will get from toolstation and I will use the water rates direct debit free monthly amount to pay for these & credit card bill £9.90. Hopefully £31.33 will be enough, if not I will use some money from the household bills account.

I have a couple of birthdays this month and mothers day coming up so I will need to get cards and £10 for my sister & £10 for mum but this will come from the birthday fund

Out to lunch on Thursday but just going to local caff which does lovely food (not a greasy spoon) at reasonable prices and a wide choice of roast dinners, omelettes, fry ups, burgers etc usually under £10 for decent meal and a mug of tea.
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 12,377 Posts
    • 45,709 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good planning. Well done in being so organised. Hope you had a good day.
    Savings Fund(Nov 2017) £6750/£8000 81%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) £35/£600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Lovely sunny day, managed to get a load of washing out on the line this afternoon

I managed to source some lightbulbs for my kitchen spotlights and the cheapest was home base so I popped in on the way home and they were £2.97 for a box of 4.

All food from stores today - Breakfast was porridge. Lunch was some leftover home made tandoori chicken with half a pack of micro rice and some peas & soy sauce. Dinner will be cheap pork shoulder steaks in spicy sauce with jacket potatoes and salad.

DS is away Friday to sunday. I am going to make a stew in my slow cooker on Friday which should do me a few meals apart from Saturday when friends are coming round. Parsnips leeks swede carrots and onions were all on offer at aldee this weeks super 6 at 45p each when I went yesterday. Will freeze some too.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 07-03-2017 at 6:00 PM.
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 12,377 Posts
    • 45,709 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    This sounds healthy and great. Value for money and good for you too.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Am fed up and tired today. I have just fallen off the takeaway wagon and had a KFC .. was nice though . Will take the money out of my spending money this month.
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 8th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    bobobski
    You've been so good for the last while SYA and working really hard so you deserve a takeaway A KFC's hardly going to break the bank. Hope you enjoyed it! x
    #18: Save 12k in 2017: £3,086.47 / £12,000 (25.72%) | #86: Save £12k in 2016: £8,476.09 / £10,000 (84.76%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020: £14,079.81 / £60,000 (23.46%) | Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: £749.08 / £5,000 (14.98%)
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Yes it was loverly !!

Didn't feel hungry last night after my KFC at lunchtime and DS was after a take-away but managed to cobble together a few meals from the freezer.

Went out to lunch after work today. I had chilli & chips and a diet coke £6.50.

I've just put a load of washing out, its still really warm here, heating is off.

I might go for a walk in a bit, DS is off to gym then a meeting then working overtime on nights so I won't need to bother cooking tonight.
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Exciting news .... my bank rewards are now £6.21 and I've got a £3 refund from tesc0 after complaining about how they handled a £9.99 online purchase. Not life changing but I guess every little helps
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thank goodness its Friday This week seems to have gone on forever !

New water rates bill arrived £31.78 pm over 10 months up from £31.33 so not too much of a rise.

I've been shopping in aldee for some pizzas £1.39 each x 2 and garlic bread 34p each x 2 for tomorrow night when the girls are coming round.

I've had fish and chips for lunch (from the freezer) and have a stew cooking in my slow cooker which should do several meals.

Thick fog here today and drizzly / damp so am going to stay indoors and watch tv for the rest of the day in between trying to tidy up before friends come tomorrow night
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 12,377 Posts
    • 45,709 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    It's good that your friends are coming round. Weather is v strange today. Very Hound of the Baskervilles.

Susan is going to take me to the boys and they are going to cheer me up as I am a bit down.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have a good time savingwannabe x

I have heard nothing back from VM in the last 7 days since my complaint so I have telephoned them again & now I have had to send a complaint email with a copy of the transcript to prove what I was offered !

Am hoping for a better deal. Watch this space .......
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 12,377 Posts
    • 45,709 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good luck. I hope they make you a much better offer.

I have been resting all day. I am going to stay with the boys and hope it cheers me up.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Mar 17, 6:53 AM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Last nights slow cooker stew was a success and I have put 4 portions in the freezer.

I was so relaxed (stuffed full of stew !) that I fell asleep on the sofa about 8.30, woke about 11.30 and went to bed and have been wide awake since 5.30am (usual Mon-Fri getting up for work time).

Plans for today -

1. NSD
    2. clean bathroom
    3. mop bathroom & kitchen floors
    4. dishwasher on & washing machine later if this fog clears
    5. tidy (hide) paperwork - I don't know where it all comes from. I have tried to bin receipts not needed once I have crossed them off my banking, but I seem to end up with loads of letters/bills which need sorting and filing. I have boxes for each utility / car / house etc but never seem to get around to it Note to self - MUST DO BETTER

Also going to attempt to rebuild wardrobe to put on gumtree - may wait until the girls are here tonight and they can give me a hand
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Mar 17, 3:45 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I did some batch cooking this morning for DS's breakfasts... sausages and chicken & bacon. I pinched a spare sausage for my breakfast with an egg and a slice of toast.

All cleaning done and paperwork tidied... (hidden) on my to do list for another day

Managed to get towels out on the line for a couple of hours but the fog is now back so I've brought the washing in to finish off on airers.

Had a little snooze, and now I just need to hoover and I'm as ready as I'm gonna be, friends arrive after 6pm.
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 11th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    bobobski
    I know what you mean about the paperwork SYA, I constantly have a pile by my box files of stuff that need to be sorted, whether or not I have just sorted through the pile! It's better than a man's system though, which is to file pretty much all paperwork in the bin...

Sounds like you've had a productive weekend so far - hopefully not too tired to enjoy your friends' company!
    #18: Save 12k in 2017: £3,086.47 / £12,000 (25.72%) | #86: Save £12k in 2016: £8,476.09 / £10,000 (84.76%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020: £14,079.81 / £60,000 (23.46%) | Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: £749.08 / £5,000 (14.98%)
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 12,377 Posts
    • 45,709 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on batch cooking. Have lots of fun with your friends.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 12th Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I had a great time last night and although I had some home brewed wine (gifted by another friend) I don't have a hang over and I slept really well too !
    Hope you are both feeling better.

The cupboards are looking bare this morning, I didn't fancy porridge but found 2 slices of bread left in the freezer and a bit of grated cheese left in the fridge so I've had a slice of cheese on toast for breakfast. DS was home 1am then up and out to volunteer job at 8am. I have food for dinner later and breakfast / lunch tomorrow but will need to shop again for lunches / dinners for the rest of the week.

With the pizzas/garlic bread last night, which were a big success, the total spend so far for March £157.65 / £300

This is a bit over budget at £60 a week x 2 so as its a 5 week month I will have to try and cut back over the next 3 weeks to even it out.

Personal spends left now £31.30. I have a lunch out later this month and a trip to the museum (where tea may be consumed) so should be ok.

Its pouring with rain here today so not much planned may just chill out.
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Mar 17, 2:32 PM
    • 12,377 Posts
    • 45,709 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    You sound really organised. If we keep doing this we are going to be rich I think. I can't believe I didn't use this system before.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,165 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Went to work but no heating so got sent home & now waiting for phone call to go back once sorted. Lovely sunny day but blimey its cold out there ! Heating on at home now so extra expense but at least I am starting to warm up. Washing machine on too.
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 12,377 Posts
    • 45,709 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad heating is done. It is so expensive. Yikes we need emergency funds and mine has nothing in it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,052Posts Today

7,716Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin