Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,098Posts
    • 18,484Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
Page 40
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Jan 18, 7:17 AM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I've just worked out my budget for the month and my SOA is on the previous page. Its going to be tight this month and I must not overspend on my entertainment budget or use my credit card !!

Its been an awful week, returning to work and the weather high winds and pouring rain. I am so glad its the weekend. We had a pizza last night using at voucher code so saved 40% and the money will come off my entertainment budget. It was nice not having to cook and there is lots left over for lunch today. I spent most of the evening snoozing

Puppy behaviour has been up and down but mostly up. The behaviourist phoned me on Thursday to see how I was getting on and give more support which is great. She made some more suggestions so I will be trying those out too. I never realised it could be so complicated having a dog ! Puppy has had her breakfast and played this morning and is now back in bed till 9am. I can hear her snoring downstairs lol

Plans for today, clean kitchen, mop kitchen floor, freshen & hoover puppy room ... I will use baking powder on carpets to get rid of nasty niffs still using the big tub I bought in the range for £1 & hopefully wash the throws on the sofa if the weather is dry to get them out on the line to dry. I also need to do some batch cooking and I have some beef mince so I will make a chilli and a pasta bake.

I took down the Christmas decs last night as it was 12th night and I was too tired to do it earlier in the week , it only took 10 mins as I didn't have the big tree up this year, and then I hoovered round downstairs.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 06-01-2018 at 7:22 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 13,058 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad puppy is doing well. I'm going to copy you and put up a Statement of Affairs as it's been ages since I did one.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Jan 18, 11:35 AM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Got 2 loads of washing done on economy wash, some tidying, carpet freshened and hoovered and 2 puppy walks yesterday. Also did some batch cooking and froze some meals.
    It's a lovely sunny breezy day today but chilly when I walked puppy this morning. Another load of washing just finishing. We've had a fry up for brunch and I am cooking fajitas for dinner later. DS will do the afternoon puppy walk. Should be a NSD today.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 07-01-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 13,058 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    This sounds so positive. Its really breezy by me. I wish I had some washing to do but I don't. lol.

It sounds like you really enjoy cooking. Having puppy there is great as it means you go out every day and it's a great way to exercise.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I actually hate cooking but its gotta be done. If it was just me I would live off jacket potatoes and microwave meals

I walked the puppy this afternoon, DS did the morning shift whilst I was at work. She was running around like a loon after her ball. It's so cold tonight I have 2 jumpers on and am sitting under a furry throw and I am still cold. I don't want to have the heating on all night but its chilly tonight. I'm just about to cook some dinner so I will warm up round the gas ring while its cooking lol.

I put £15 petrol in the car today as the orange empty light was on, paid from petrol budget in SOA and I spent £3 from the free money card in the Tesco shop on 6 cans of diet coke and £1 on naughty choc mini eggs.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    It has been bitterly cold today, hasn't it?! I was shivering in my classroom and when we went out for our walk, I could see children's legs going red - the ones that were foolish enough to come in wearing shorts or skirts without tights today, that is!

Hope it's warmer tomorrow, I can feel the cold in my old bones, lol.
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Jan 18, 11:59 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I have slept most of the afternoon and evening today but don't feel much better just less tired lol. Will have to go see Doc if things don't improve soon. DS has seen to puppy and made his own dinner. I just had cold meat and cheese with crackers and salad as I didn't feel very hungry. Puppy is asleep and DS has just gone out to the gym. Ive been looking for jobs a few possibles will look again tomorrow am in bed feeling sleepy again now so better get some shut eye as the alarm will be going off at 5am for work.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 10-01-2018 at 12:01 AM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Half price flapjack and a freshly baked cheese twist from tesco on way to work paid for with compensation money card from Xmas. Work was a long slog today and seemed never ending came home and slept for 1 1/2 hours. Walked the puppy then went to coop and bought their £5 meal deal, southern fried boneless chicken box, bag frozen fries, 2 garlic bread (substitute for onion rings sold out) frozen corn cobs and a box of 8 dairy milk mini ice creams pretty good value for a fiver and will satisfy kfc craving at the weekend with plenty of chips/corn/garlic bread leftover for other meals.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Jan 18, 8:15 PM
    • 13,058 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Have you been checked recently for anaemia and thyroid? If you haven't please pop to dr. I'm tired too mine is just diabetes I think as it's been crazy. I keep sleeping. Part of it is that I don't want to be at work and it's not even that bad. I'm sure mine will end when the daylight hours get a little longer.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    After feeling quite poorly I have been to doc today and have chest and ear infections. Now have antibiotics and am off work. Hopefully they will start working soon I have slept most of the day.

Good news is my old bank are offering £125 to switch current account so I have applied to switch back
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 11th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 13,058 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Oh dear I am so sorry about the infections. I hope the pills work soon. Extremely well done on switching your account and the extra money earned.

Please rest as much as poss and have a peaceful Friday.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 11th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Rest, rest and more rest for you, young lady! Glad you've been to see the doctor, and work can go hang til you're properly better x
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 12th Jan 18, 3:57 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have been resting today and sleeping so nothing done. Checked online banking and my new account is open just waiting for the account switch to go through. DS is off work so he has been looking after puppy. Will be glad when antibiotics start working on my ears so I get my balance back and stop lurching around like a drunkard Have had to turn down a girls night of dancing and live music tomorrow as just not up to it. On a positive note all food from stores today and a NSD
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Jan 18, 11:28 AM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Still wheezing like a 40 a day smoker (haven't smoked for 15 years) but feel more like myself today. DS has walked puppy and gone to work. I've done one load in the dishwasher and scrubbed the patio with disinfectant to get rid of doggy odours. Wasn't very energetic scrubbing more of a sluice down but needed doing while the weather is nice and dry. Sun is coming out and a good breeze blowing. Heating was off last night and so far today it's quite mild so hoping to get the energy to go get a load of washing done on economy wash and dried outside to save money on heating.

I am going to make some soup for lunch and get some chicken out of the freezer for Chinese tonight when DS gets back from work to use up some crinkly green peppers with a jar of aldi black bean sauce
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 13th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Glad you're on the mend Skinty, and it sounds like you did a lot today! Hope DS can make the dinner to let you rest up a bit more. Don't overdo things....pretty please!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    • 13,058 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I agree. I hope you are ok.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Jan 18, 6:40 AM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I've had a few days of sleeping and doing nothing so yesterday was the first day of feeling better. DS has been helping with dishwasher and bringing me cups of tea. Yesterday was his day off but he didn't get home till 7.30pm from his volunteer job so we were both tired and ended up having a Chinese delivered

Not much planned for today

Load/unload dishwasher
    Work clothes wash on economy hang out depending on weather
    Tidy bedroom - needs a good sort clothes and bedding

Not sure whether I will go back to work tomorrow sick leave disciplinary looms
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Jan 18, 12:15 PM
    • 13,058 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Please try not to stress.

The most important thing is your health. Just focus on getting well and don't worry about work for now.

After my illness last year work gave me a huge pay cut and job role change. Although i am still upset in some ways financially I am actually better off as it forced me to rent out my room. I have much less stress at work and spend less time with mean people at work. I'm wondering if you might still consider renting out your spare room. I know it's small but a student will want it I am sure and it's much less stressful knowing you have some extra income coming in.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 14-01-2018 at 1:15 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    The spare room is just big enough to fit a double bed and DPs use it when they come to stay. Also the double glazed window frame is broken and the curtains blow when it's windy. The next thing on the list of house maintenance / repairs is replacement windows in the two smaller back bedrooms.

I have done very little today and slept a lot. I had a shower and tried to do some housework but my chest was aching so I laid down again! I am anticipating a day off work tomorrow. Antibiotics have worked on my ears but not my chest infection.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 14-01-2018 at 10:57 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I woke up in the night with ear ache and didn't feel well enough to go to work today. Its a mild wet day, the heating is off. I've had leftovers for lunch. I got my pin number and confirmation letter for my new bank account today, but also got another letter for another application asking me to go into branch. I phoned to new accounts team and they have cancelled the "duplicate application". My switch date is 19 Jan.

My car is 5 years old this month and so my free 5 year warranty and breakdown cover run out. I've started some quotes for breakdown cover and will phone my insurance company too and see if they can beat the online quotes. My car company are emailing me details of an extended warranty and the price so I can decide whether to take out a further warranty with them. The 5 year warranty has been brilliant and covered lots of things on my car so I am a bit concerned now that it will run out and everything will go wrong and I will end up with big bills !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

2,414Users online

Martin's Twitter