Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,024Posts
    • 18,363Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 37
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Dec 17, 12:13 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Feeling very low at the moment. I always try to be positive and stay busy to occupy my mind but it's been a struggle lately, especially today. Puppy has been manic kept indoors most of the day per post op instructions with a 10 minute walk round the block this afternoon. She hates her collar and around 5pm she managed to bang it against the wall so it cracked and fell apart. Had to dash to the vets before they closed and pay for another. Typical DS had gone out so neighbour helped me get her in the car which she hates. We were home half an hour and she blooming cracked the new one :-/ Managed to Sellotape it back together. Apart from that nothing achieved today.
    ETA .. Did manage to make a stew in the slow cooker and we had a reduced to clear steak pie for lunch down half price from £4 to £2. 4 portions of stew in freezer for quick microwave meałs.
    DS has a new gf but doesn't seem to have cheered him up much.
    One highlight of the day friend invited me to pop in this afternoon for a chat so we spent an hour consoling one another and had a baileys
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 03-12-2017 at 12:37 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Dec 17, 5:11 PM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    OMG I am so sorry you are down. I think the cold and the dark makes it harder to stay cheerful. I know you have been ill and puppy is expensive but please talk to your friends as they all adore you I am sure.

A Bailey's is a great idea. I had a glass of mulled wine and it helped me to chill when I had a panic phase about my work this weekend.

Maybe make yourself do one Christmas decoration everyday to cheer yourself up. Watch the telly put on nice music etc. We are all thinking of you.

swx
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 3rd Dec 17, 5:39 PM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 43,583 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Big hugs and a little telling off to naughty pup! xx
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Dec 17, 11:11 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks for your support x I've slept most of the day but did manage 2 loads of washing, a bit of ironing and washing up and 2 short puppy walks. I also made myself write my Christmas cards which I bought in the January sales. Just need to get some stamps now.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 4th Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Back to work today. I have done nothing but eat ! Funnily enough I had a letter from the diabetic team congratulating me on my lower HbA1c must be the pills !

I have just paid my credit card bills. The old card is now cleared again after I mistakenly forgot the pin for the new 0% card and had to use it for food shopping.

I had an email from EON to provide my opening meter readings but when I logged in to try it said there is a problem with the gas that they are trying to fix. I tried phoning but was on hold for over 10 minutes and so I gave up and have sent them a message through the online account which will hopefully get to them to sort it out.

Puppy has been very naughty with DS this morning when he came home to look after her for a few hours. She has cracked another chunk out of her plastic collar and has been chewing the edge of the door She is off to vets later this afternoon so I will have to look at a different collar, maybe an inflatable one although the write-ups aren't great but at least we may be able to put her in her crate with it on so she doesn't bite another big chunk out of the door !
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 04-12-2017 at 8:04 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 4th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Vet said puppy is healing well which is good news. He said not to bother with an inflatable collar as they don't work so saved £15. He said to carry on taping up the existing one

Am trying to stay awake till 10pm so I can put puppy out for the last time of the evening and then put her to bed. If I lie down on the sofa I know I am going to fall asleep .... zzzzz
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 4th Dec 17, 9:12 PM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Great news on your HbAlc, I go for mine tomorrow. lol.

I hope puppy continues to get better and she will grow out of chewing everything soon I hope.

I do hope you are able to enter your EON readings.

All is well here.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    Back to work today. I have done nothing but eat ! Funnily enough I had a letter from the diabetic team congratulating me on my lower HbA1c must be the pills !

I have just paid my credit card bills. The old card is now cleared again after I mistakenly forgot the pin for the new 0% card and had to use it for food shopping.

I had an email from EON to provide my opening meter readings but when I logged in to try it said there is a problem with the gas that they are trying to fix. I tried phoning but was on hold for over 10 minutes and so I gave up and have sent them a message through the online account which will hopefully get to them to sort it out.

Puppy has been very naughty with DS this morning when he came home to look after her for a few hours. She has cracked another chunk out of her plastic collar and has been chewing the edge of the door She is off to vets later this afternoon so I will have to look at a different collar, maybe an inflatable one although the write-ups aren't great but at least we may be able to put her in her crate with it on so she doesn't bite another big chunk out of the door !
    Originally posted by Skint yet Again
    I'm here Skint yet Again,

I'm sorry you were on hold for so long I know we're trying really hard to get the wait times down and we do have the 'live chat' on the website, if that's better for you or Twitter/Facebook.

But you can always send the reads to me and I'll get someone to get them on to your account for you my email is in my profile page.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks Helena, I have managed to log in today and can now see my tariff details and have managed to submit my meter readings from yesterday. I have submitted the same readings I sent yesterday on the enquiry form as I didn't want to confuse things. Hope this was the right thing to do.

I finished work early today to get home for puppy and the naughty madam has chewed the footstool in her room Plastic collar is still in one piece. Roll on Sunday night when it comes off ! Took her for a walk, it was quite mild but very dull and grey.

I had some leftover sausages with a jacket potato, peas & gravy for lunch and still feel quite stuffed so may just have a snack later for dinner.

Just back from a second dog walk and its getting windy and chilly out. We are forecast some wild wet and windy weather.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 06-12-2017 at 4:27 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Blimey puppy keeps chewing. Did the vet say this was normal. Ours chewed when he was little but it was so long ago Ive forgotten. Well done on nice healthy food. Ive been snacking for most of this week.

I don't know how you have managed to walk in this awful weather. I am not moving unless I have too. Well done.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Dec 17, 6:53 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Unfortunately Labradors are renowned for chewing ! She was good today and hadn't chewed anything when I got home from work. Took her for a walk in the rain at 11am and she was quite happy trotting along with the plastic cone keeping her head dry Thankfully it had dried up when I walked her at 3.30pm. DS will be doing puppy shift in the morning till lunch time when he goes to work.

DS has gone out for dinner and I am being naughty and have ordered pizza I did use a voucher code and got 50% off so £7 reduction and will use my entertainment budget.

Still feeling under the weather so have turned down a night out tomorrow. Friends are going to a local pub to see a band but my head is all congested and sore throat so I am giving it a miss. I have booked my hair appointment today and as DP's are giving me cash for Christmas I will use some of that to pay for it. Cut and colour/highlights is £42. Having a new hairdo will hopefully cheer me up
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I completely sympathise. I have been feeling down - It maybe illness, the weather, work etc but hopefully the haircut will help.

Using a pizza code is fine. Hopefully some feel good food will help.

Remember we will have a few days off at Christmas and things could change for the better tomorrow.

Stay strong my friend.

hugs, swxxxxxxxxxxx
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Dec 17, 6:31 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks SW xx
    I am so glad its the weekend Its chilly this morning I have let the puppy out, fed her and played with her and she now snoozing again. She had another check up at the vet yesterday and her scar is healing nicely so we can take the cone off on sunday

It was sunny and windy yesterday so I hung some washing out in the afternoon. I had to wear my gloves though because it was so cold ! It didn't dry completely but finished off on airers last night when the heating came on. I always think washing smells nicer if its been on the line in the breeze. I had the last of the slow cooker stew from the freezer for lunch and cooked a garlic chicken from aldi for dinner with skinny fries and coleslaw so managed to avoid ordering a takeaway.

The weather forecast is a bit grim for today, will be doing a puppy walk about 9.30 and will plan the rest of the day then. Now I am going to have a snooze.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Dec 17, 8:46 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It was a sunny morning but icy when I walked the puppy this morning. I got one load of washing done and some ironing from yesterday. I spent most of the day cleaning the kitchen & bathroom and hoovered downstairs. Had a snooze with the puppy on the sofa for almost 2 hours this afternoon then another puppy walk.

All food today from stores. Bacon roll this morning. Fish & chips from freezer for lunch & jacket potato with lamb shank in mint gravy & veg for dinner.

My car insurance is due for renewal soon so I have been trying to get quotes. It drives me nuts, I put all my details in for one company and the website crashed. All other quotes are coming in much higher than my renewal. I will do some more quotes tomorrow, am tired now so going to lie (sleep!) on the sofa for a while. DS is walking puppy in morning so I will try and put up the Christmas tree while they are out.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Dec 17, 2:00 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    After posting last night I got myself in a bit of a flap over my car insurance. I realised my policy documents dated December 2016 showed I have had a driving licence for 3 years but its actually 19 years. In big bold letters next to that section it said if I didn't tell them about any errors straight away I could have my insurance cancelled

By 10am this morning when they opened I had convinced myself that they were going to cancel my insurance and I would lose my car I spoke to a lovely lady who said she couldn't understand why it said 3 years on the documents as they had the correct info on my records which she then told me and it was correct. Phew what a relief, I may have got a bit emotional on the phone I couldn't find a cheaper quote for the same cover and no excess last night, so when she gave me a bit of a discount I went ahead and renewed. Am so glad that's over for another year. I can totally understand why some people just auto renew each year !

DS took puppy for a walk this morning and she has had a bath and got her plastic cone off and she is much happier The weather has been a bit wild and wet but no snow.

I fancied KFC for lunch but instead cooked some hot and spicy chicken fillets and wedges from the freezer with cheese & jalapenos and garlic sauce with the last of the tinned sweetcorn and coleslaw. Tonight I am making chicken casserole with 4 chicken thighs 750g which I bought in coop a few weeks ago reduced to clear 69p, which are defrosting at the moment. The fridge and freezer are emptying to make some room for Christmas goodies.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The insurance sounds v stressful. Well done on sorting it out. Glad the lady helped you. I wouldn't even have known what to do.

Congrats also on MSE behaviour and drying clothes outside and also cooking own food. I haven't done that this weekend and have been vvvv naughty as I went away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,644Posts Today

7,805Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin