Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,024Posts
    • 18,363Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 32
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 1st Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I don't feel very organised lol. I should have saved £200 in September, £100 into bills account and £100 into long term savings. I used £100 which should have gone into long term savings plus £100 out of long term savings account to pay my credit card and it wasn't anything special on the credit card bill, stuff for the house and dog. I really must kerb my spending.

I got a voucher from pets at home yesterday for £5 off when you spend £30 in October and November. DS will give me £31 for dog food usually £36 for a big bag so that is a really good saving.

It was warm and damp this morning when I walked the puppy. I hung some washing out when we got back and it dried by lunch time before the rain this afternoon. DS worked nights so he walked her this afternoon for the first time in ages as we have been having some problems with her and she was good as gold so he is going to be able to walk her again

We had roast chicken for dinner. We gave some to the puppy and she loved it. Couldn't give her any gravy as it has onion powder in it which is highly toxic to dogs. Will have to look out for some gravy powder with no onion / garlic powder or MSG. We use oxo gravy granules which DP's get for me in the wholesalers in a big tub 1.58kg for £9.99.

Back to work tomorrow... where did the weekend go? My friend text me earlier to say she is having a pamper party and I have put down for a facial and 30 minute head & neck massage for £20. Will take the money out of my entertainment budget. Sounds nice and relaxing
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 2nd Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Went to b & m after work and got money back on new puppy toys supposedly designed to withstand chewing !! They lasted 2 hours for one and 10 mins for the other. Maybe I should offer her up to test their so called durable toys

Went to pets at home and bought some heavy duty toys as recommended by them. One is a rope with a tennis ball at each end and a rubber tube in the middle. She destroyed the rubber tube in 10 minutes, so I have cut it off and she had been merrily munching away on the rope and tennis balls so that may last a bit longer Haven't given her the other toy yet. Will see how these last - 3 times the price but I was assured they should last a "reasonable" time. Used a 10% voucher received when they sent me a loyalty card last month.
    Couldn't resist a naughty £1.99 McD big mac & fries for lunch using on the way home.

Managed a puppy walk before the rain came. Its very chilly tonight I have put an extra cardigan on !
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 02-10-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Oct 17, 6:38 AM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    This is getting to be so frustrating for you. How strong are her teeth she is just a puppy? I think the fault is in the quality of the toys at that shop??? Try the toys at somewhere like Pets at Home.

The pamper party sounds great. It is getting colder. I am glad I am living upstairs in my house as I don't feel it as much as downstairs. Have a good day.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    haha the last 2 toys are from pets at home and the one I thought would last longest she has chewed bits of plastic off within 10 minutes. It will be going back tomorrow for a refund as it cost £15 !!!

We had a lovely puppy walk this afternoon when I drove to the local common. Did some recall training and now we have a retractable lead she can run about a bit more which she loved. Yesterdays walk in the park was manic with about 10 dogs some running around off lead and nipping & barking at other dogs. puppy got really hectic and was very naughty so I tied her to the fence and stepped away out of reach until she calmed down ! She was lovely today and no biting the lead/ back of my trainers She is so cute in her harness and seatbelt

Its been very difficult sorting the gravel for next week with some websites saying we need 3 ton and some saying 6 ton ! My dad has been helping and hes visiting a building merchant tomorrow to check what we are buying before I order it down here for when they visit next week.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 4th Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I took the "chew" toy back to pets at home and got a refund £15. I asked them what the position would be if I bought more toys and they said I would not be able to get a refund ! Anyway I found some really cheap toys £2 each so I bought 3 of those, thinking at that price I would just chuck them if they didn't last. So far I have given her 2 of them today and she has not destroyed them One is a squeaky bone and the other is a rubber "dumbbell"

Had a lovely puppy walk over on the common again. It was sunny but a chilly wind. Did some training (sit, lay down, stay, come) and took her ball and she really enjoyed running around. She still needs to get the hang of "fetch" though as she comes running back for the treat without the ball

I put some washing out about 3pm and it dried by tea time. I've just put the puppy out before bed and its very gusty out there now. We are forecast for overnight heavy rain and gale force winds.

I ordered the gravel for next week. Travis Perkins website says free delivery over £50. I phoned the local store to ask some questions and they said I could get free delivery if I ordered online. I tried that and it was charging £5 for delivery. So I rang customer services and they said bulk deliveries are not included So I phoned my local store again and explained and said I would order direct from them instead of internet, and the lovely girl said she would waive the delivery charge
    So that's £151 on my new credit card. I also phoned the new credit card company on the free 0800 number and arranged my balance transfer £129.

I have decided I am going to get a new carpet for my bedroom as it still has a childs carpet in it from when it was DS's room, as well as a new tv and get some new clothes and boots for winter. Clothes are needed as I have lost a stone and boots are needed as my old ones from last year have a hole in the sole.

Then I have 11 months to pay it off at 0%. If I get any money for xmas or birthdays from family or DP's I will pay that off the card too.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thank goodness its Friday !

I now have a week off work and am looking forward to DP's coming down on sunday. DS has split with his long term gf of 4 years and so he's been sad for a few days, but has gone out tonight to a beer festival with his mates. I dropped him off in the car and the petrol light is now on but I shouldn't need to drive anywhere next week so will save on petrol money.

I got 2 loads of washing done when I got in from work as it was such a lovely afternoon. They have mostly dried so will finish on airers overnight. I am now wrapped in a furry throw and a jumper, I am resisting putting the heating on

Tomorrow I am going to clean and hoover the spare room ready for DP's and make the bed. I am also going to try and get to the local charity furniture shop as we are hoping to get a cheap sofa for the dog She's not allowed in the living room with my leather sofa !!! so I am going to get one for her room.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    This doggie is getting pampered with her own sofa!!!!!!! It's great you are getting some new carpet too.

Sorry about dear son, i hope he can enjoy himself tonight. Well done on washing i have so much to do this weekend. Glad your parents are coming I love my parents and know yours are just the same. The garden sounds like it is going to keep you busy, gravelling sounds like hard work. Have a good night.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Oct 17, 7:18 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Saturday was a grey windy day, but I managed to get puppy bedding and towels washed and mostly dried online. I gave puppy bedding a 20 minute blast in the tumble dryer to finish it off and get rid of any dampness before letting her sleep on it.

I dropped DS off at work in the morning as he still felt a bit hungover and didn't want to drive. On the way home I popped into the charity shop and they had a sofa just the type and style I was hoping for to go in the kitchen (puppy room) for £120 with a big footstool too. It is being delivered on Wednesday, which is the same day as the gravel so we will be busy !

I made some vegetable soup for lunch with a carrot, potato and onion and a chicken stock cube which was nice and warming on a chilly day and we had curry last night with a jar of sauce from aldi.

DP's arrive later today and we are having a roast when DS gets home from work at 5pm.

I have had my latest bill from coop energy and I am £56 in credit which will go towards winter bills. They have listed 2 new tariffs on the bill which will save me £85.74 if I switch. My fix ends 30 December so I am going to have a look at those later and do some comparisons elsewhere to see what sort of offers come up. I am registered with the mse energy club and I haven't had any emails saying I can save by switching.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    You are lucky it didn't rain for you yesterday it did by me and I had to do my drying in the machine. Well done on bargain nice sofa. I hope son had a good time. Well done on credit from energy supplier that will come in useful.

Yum on nice food. I'm glad your parents are coming down. It makes me happy as I know i always feel better when parents are here. Have a good day do try to rest a bit.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Oct 17, 7:20 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Blimey its Tuesday already where did the last 2 days go !

DP's arrived on Sunday with food and we had a roast dinner with DS when he got in from work at tea time.

Monday was spent finishing off the ground work on the alleyway ready for the membrane to go down today and the gravel tomorrow. DF replaced my outside tap £5 from toolstation and we got a wheelbarrow £35 and some pegs £10 for the membrane so that should be all we need. Used 0% credit card. My balance transfer has gone through now so my old credit card is cleared. I just need to set up online banking for my new card this week.

In the afternoon we went food shopping for the week and DM kindly paid. I saw my neighbour who will lend us a wheelbarrow so we will have 2 now I have bought one, so we should be all set for tomorrow. My other neighbour who shares the alley with me has given me half the money for the gravel I will pay that into the bank and transfer it to my new 0% credit card.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hooray for parents and for you for sorting out all the purchases for the membrane. Fingers crossed you can all sort the job out. You will have saved lots of money.

I hope your parents are really spoiling you as you deserve it. I bet they love puppy.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Oct 17, 7:03 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I am up early waiting for the gravel delivery which is coming between 7 - 10.30.

Yesterday we had a lovely walk on the common and picked a big bag of eating apples which taste like golden delicious In the afternoon we laid the membrane. DM cut the lawn for me and DF pruned my roses. DS thought he had a hernia (convenient just before he needs to barrow the gravel lol) but got checked out and he is ok. So we are all set for the day, except everyone else is still in bed ! New sofa is coming this afternoon too so looks like being a busy day.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Quick update as sooo tired ! Gravel arrived around 7.30 am its amazing how precisely they deliver these huge bags into the tiny forecourt at the front of my house.

After walking puppy we all had a fry up then DM was shovelling gravel into barrows for DS and DF to bring to the back alleyway and I was raking it into place. It looks great and will keep the weeds down and allow me to park on the hardstanding at the rear of the garden if there is no where to park in the road. Total cost about £250 so saved at least £250 (verbal quotes of "around" £500, £900 and £1500 !!! )

The "new" charity shop sofa arrived this afternoon but they couldn't find the bolts to fix the arms back on, so returned to the shop. Then they phoned an hour later to say they had found the bolts so they were coming back ! Sofa now delivered and assembled and the puppy has been snuggling up

DS slept this afternoon and has just gone to work on nights. Hope the weather is nice tomorrow, I am taking DP's out to lunch to say thank you for their help today.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on completing the job and saving money at the same time. I am glad the sofa worked out well in the end.

I hope you are having a nice meal out, after all of your work today you deserve it.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Oct 17, 7:25 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    The cheapest quote for the alley was "around" £500 just to deliver and barrow on the gravel. We got gravel delivered for £151 so saved at least £349. The more expensive quotes of £900 and £1500 were to clear the alley lay the membrane and deliver & barrow the gravel so am really pleased on how much I've saved.

It was a lovely day on Thursday so I got some washing out and then I took DP's out to lunch. We went to a pub with a lovely sea view and DP's had the over 60's 3 course lunch for £5.99 and I had fish and chips £6. They let me order the childs dessert chocolate brownie and ice cream for £1.99. so total cost of food just under £20

Then we went for a walk on the common and picked some sloes so that DP's can take them home to make sloe gin

Yesterday was dull and grey so I spent the day helping DP's fill in the power of attorney forms and getting some quotes for them on gas/elec as their fix ends on 30 October. Also managed 2 puppy walks as DS was sleeping after night shift and then back to work at his volunteer job at 4pm.

I am going to a friends pamper party this afternoon and I am really looking forward to a facial and shoulder massage £20. DP's are going out for the day and DS is puppy sitting this afternoon. He's just got in from volunteer work, fed her and played with her and now gone to bed, which means I didn't need to get up this morning and so I am having a lie in and will try and snooze soon. I always wake up early even if I don't have to get up.

Puppy will sleep in her crate now till 9am when she will be ready for a walk. She is really loving the new sofa and has been snuggling up for cuddles which she has never done before in the armchairs we previously had.

I have checked online banking this morning and I still have £100 left in my account. DS gets paid tomorrow and will pay me his bills and food money, so I am on target to have £100 left which will be paid onto new 0% credit card plus the £75 from neighbour for gravel. Once DP's have gone home I am going to start emptying my bedroom and will move into spare room ready to get a new carpet for my room.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 14-10-2017 at 8:04 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done in making the most of the nice weather. I can't believe how much money you saved on the job you did. It's fantastic. I wish I was practical.

The sofa sounds like it is being used well.

Yay to a pamper party. That sounds lovely. I hope you have a great day.

I'm chilling today.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    The massage and facial yesterday were lovely and so relaxing. Worth every penny of £20.

Today DM made a roast dinner which was delish. DP's go home in the morning and I am back at work so am feeling a bit

I have another problem with my boiler too. It is over 20 years old but it had a new diaphragm and I had it serviced earlier this year. The timer switch is now making a very loud ticking and is no longer keeping time. I've searched the internet and the part is obsolete, but I found one website that shows they have one in stock priced at £55. I have emailed the company and they are going to physically check their stock tomorrow and let me know. Have been through with DF how to turn boiler off, get old timer disconnected then connect new one. If I get stuck I will phone the boiler man. Just hope I can get the part I need.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    The house is very quiet and empty today Took puppy for a walk lunch time and she was very good. Took her for a walk this evening and she was not. DS is trying to find a behaviour class as we need help around walking her. Her dog pals were not at the park today so I couldn't let her off the lead. We came home and I let her chase the kitchen mop up and down the garden to burn off some energy She's fast asleep now !

I had an email from the boiler parts company and they do not have the part I need. I found another but £20 more expensive but have ordered it as I will be unlikely to get it anywhere else as it is no longer being made. It said next day delivery so hopefully will arrive tomorrow. Couldn't get hold of the company by phone which I wasn't happy about but I paid by paypal so will just have to hope its a genuine company and genuine part.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Short day at work today so I could come home and walk puppy. She was very well behaved. Hope she is same again later. She's chasing an empty plastic tub of peanut butter round the room at the moment trying to get the last little bit out of the bottom.

I have had no contact from the heating parts company I have ordered the timer from and am beginning to think it is a bogus company although they are registered with companies house. I phoned the number on their website and it just goes to voice mail saying the mail box is full. I found another phone number on the website which I rang and someone said it has nothing to do with them and the wrong number is on the website Hope my money is protected through pay pal.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    • 12,943 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope it is all ok and the part arrives in the post. I am sure it is but the in the future please do put all purchases like this on the credit card as you are covered for goods not received.

I am hoping it will turn up tomorrow or next day. Well done on having a short day at work and cheering yourself up with the puppy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,536Users online

Martin's Twitter