Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,990Posts
    • 18,289Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 28
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 2nd Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 43,435 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Love, love, love the puppy news!!
    Marmite jar savings £43
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 2nd Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Aw thanks SW & KK she is only ...err .. 13 weeks old now and I think she's doing really well. Another night of sleeping thankfully as DS was on nights I would have had to get up at 2am then 5am otherwise. Took her for a walk at 5am then back to bed for 2 hours till DS got home. Had a bacon sarnie with DS for breakfast then he went to bed.

The weather is glorious here today I have 2 loads of washing on the line and have done some ironing. I've also scrubbed down the patio with disinfectant.

My landline has stopped working with no dial tone - I found out when I went to ring DP's this morning with free weekend calls, so used my free minutes on my mobile instead. I've reported it and an engineer is coming next week for free when I am off work. Also ordered a new remote control for DS HD box as that hasn't worked for a few weeks but haven't got around to phoning up, they are sending a new one for free !!! We like free

I have some pork in the slow cooker for pulled pork wraps for lunch and have some stuff for a curry tonight with nans and popadoms from Aldee will be a cheap alternative to a take away but very nice. Hoping to do 2 more loads of washing this afternoon as they have forecast rain tomorrow. Just about to walk the dog again

Have a great weekend x
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 02-09-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 2nd Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am so sorry about your phone!

Well done on your walking.

Your tea sounds great. Yum. I fell asleep after a snack of biscuits and then had salad which isn't half as nice.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1092.64
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 300 food & 1/2 utilities from DS
    Total monthly income.................... 1392.64

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 208
    Council tax............................. 134
    Electricity............................. 63.17 & gas
    Water rates............................. 44.23
    Telephone (land line)................... 33.05 & tv/internet
    Mobile phone............................ 7.55
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Groceries etc. ......................... 320
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 40
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 28.04
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 50
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    savings to credit card.................. 100
    savings................................. 100 for annual insurance car/house & haircuts clothes road tax
    Union fees.............................. 7.84
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1198

Secured & HP Debts[/b]
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 0........(208)......0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 0.........-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    car loan ......................0.........160.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........160.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,392.64
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,198
    Available for debt repayments........... 194.64
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 160
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 34.64

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Sep 17, 9:45 AM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good morning. Its dull grey and spotting with rain here today. I am sorting clothes for charity bag collection tomorrow.

I have worked out my SOA and have £34.64 spare this month so I will round that up to £41 with part of the £11 credit left over in my account last month and get my hair cut and coloured.

We have a chicken to roast later with roast potatoes/parsnips & veg bought in the week at aldee.

Walked the puppy at 5am she slept through the night again and then went back to bed to snooze till DS got in after night shift. He's on 4 days off now and then goes on holiday so I will need to get as organised as possible before he does as I will be doing all puppy care. Thankfully she does sleep more in the day since we started walking her so I can pop her in her crate and get on and do things.

Sewed my leather sandals yesterday after naught puppy got hold of them and chewed them ! They are just used around the house but good that I could fix them and wont be buying a new pair.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello it sounds like you have had a productive day. I remember when my puppy used to eat shoes! lol. Well done in repairing them. Ours used to dig up all the daffodils when he was small too.

Weather is horrid here. Rain and more rain which is good for the garden but grim to see.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 4th Sep 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I popped into town on my way home from work and picked up DS's money for him, the exchange rate is rubbish at the moment but convinced him would get a better deal here than at the airport.

They were giving away cans of coca- cola zero in the town centre so I had one for free ...and I got a burger in the king of burgers double cheese £1.49 for a bargain lunch.

When I got home we walked the puppy round by the pond - not the whole way as she is too small, but part of it and she met a little pug and said hello and an old golden retriever. She hasn't met many other dogs and is a bit nervous but said hello and exchanged a sniff of noses

As I am off next week I have booked my hair appointment, booked my car in to be looked at as it has a rattling noise under the bonnet (hope its covered by the warranty !) and remembered to cancel my Which? subscription... I did the £1 trial to look at their pet insurance reviews.

Puppy was playing with DS and she made a grap for her toy and missed and sunk her tooth into his arm by accident, and it broke off in his arm DS was worrying he had hurt her but a quick check of her mouth and google of puppy teeth and call to the vet and everything is fine. They said its common for puppy teeth to break and as long as she shows no signs of being affected (off food in pain etc) then its normal and she will be losing all her puppy teeth shortly ! DS smothered his arm in tcp, hopefully it won't get infected as he's off to USA tomorrow, good job he took out top cover travel insurance (which I did for him !!)
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 4th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on the cola free cans. Brilliant!

You always get a low price burger meal. That's such a good price.

I'm sorry about son's arm and hope it heals. I remember when my dog bit a bee and when it stung him he thought mum had hit him! I wonder if she understands what happened? Hope she is ok.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Puppy is fine today thanks SW. I worked for a few hours this morning then came home and took her for a walk between showers. She met and said hello to a few more dogs on our walk today and seems to be getting a little less anxious We've just been out in the garden playing with the ball. She brings me joy

DS flew off to USA today and I've just heard about Hurricane Irma on the lunch time news. I am keeping everything crossed and positive thoughts that it will not hit Florida

I had some leftovers for lunch and made chicken & egg fried rice , chicken breast and half a pack of micro rice with onion & peppers and an egg. After that my friend came round for a cuppa and to collect some demi-johns that DS brought down from the loft the other day. More decluttering done ! They had been in the loft for 20 years since we moved here lol.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Sep 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    First day off work today. Its dry but cloudy, will try and catch a weather forecast on the news to see if its worth putting any washing on later.

Took puppy for a walk at 7.30 and VM engineer arrived at 8am. He has now fixed the landline and gave us a new remote control for our tv

I've had a text from a friend and she is coming round at 1pm, so I will walk the puppy again at 12. She's snoozing and snoring on her mat at the moment

Had a wapp from DS who has arrived in us safely and he sent pictures of his room and the view which is spectacular. Hurricane news... it now seems it will hit orlando at the weekend so am keeping fingers crossed that they will all be safe and it wont ruin their holiday. Am staying updated with BBC news and various reports online.

Plans for today - Weather permitting I will get some washing done and I want to clear the front garden, scrub the paving and remove weeds and wash down the upvc front door and wash the bay window.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello, I hope your sun will avoid the horrid hurricane completely. It sounds like you have had a busy day!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    My friend stayed for 3 hours yesterday, so I didn't get as much done as I had intended. I did weed the front garden but didn't scrub the patio or clean the front window or doors. Added to list of jobs for next week.

I did get the large puppy crate out that my niece had sent down with DP's but unfortunately cleaning showed up too much rust where it had been in her shed.

I managed to find another large crate on gumtree locally for £25 so I went and viewed it this morning and have brought it home and been cleaning it. She will be able to lay out full length in this one where she has grown so much so cant lay out in the medium one my friend lent me any more. As this was a necessity rather than a "want" I've used money from the food budget as I wont be spending for a week with DS away.

I've managed one load of washing dried this morning. I've put some sheets in to wash but the sky is black now so it may rain soon.

Hurricane news disney have announced they are staying open until it is confirmed what the path will be. Forecasts at the moment show it reaching south florida on sunday morning and downgraded to category 4. Still time for it to change direction or downgrade further fingers crossed
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I did 3 hours at work this morning now I am off until 21st
    Had a bacon roll at work £2.10 gave £1.50 for a colleagues 50th birthday and called off at the co-op on the way home and bought milk £1, dolmio sauce £1 to go with some mince from the freezer which will make at least 4 meals for me and I can have as spag bol, chilli, pasta bake with some veg and grated cheese on top and on cheesy chips.
    I have £5 left in my purse to spend tomorrow when I go out with the girls they are talking about going to a shopping centre so I will browse and also cost-a-lot so I will just have a cup of tea if anything.

Have just been to the park with puppy and she has been running up and down on the grass. We met another puppy who was 20 weeks and it was huge and very lively she wasn't sure what to make of it but I'm sure in a few more weeks she will be bouncing around with her She's asleep now on her cool mat, all that running has worn her out lol.

Its been raining on and off so no washing done today. I am going to hoover when she wakes up for her dinner and I will mop the kitchen floor once she has gone to bed.

I am making a list of things to do next week and will try and fit them in when puppy snoozes when she can go in her crate.

So far,
    Monday - tip run. Old rusty dog crate, 2 broken camp beds & weightlifting bench which has seen better days
    Tuesday - hair done
    Thu - car in garage. Pop round to neighbours who is dog sitting a golden retriever which will be training to be a guide dog

I am hoping we will get a dry sunny day so I can paint the bricks on the back of the house/neighbours wall with some damp protector treatment. Just the first 2 courses from bottom up to stop green moss growth which has got worse with us washing down the patio so much now we have the puppy. Its already been scrubbed with Jeyes Fluid to remove the green and now needs the treatment painting on.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    You have been so busy. The weather by me seems horrid, I haven't even mowed the grass this week. I hope the weekend will be better. Painting bricks sounds like hard work I do admire you for doing it.

Glad you have a puppy crate. It is all so dear well done on raising the money.

I hope the hurricane calms down a bit more. Watching the news about it has been v scary.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good morning its sunny and warm here today.

Puppy was up at 5am but went back to bed for a few hours. Took her for a puppy walk at 9.30am then mopped the kitchen floor and put out the first lot of washing. Second load now finishing.

I am out later with the girls so I will walk her again at 1pm and hopefully she will sleep whilst I am out. I will try and spend as little as possible.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I spent more than I intended Bought some perfume in next £4, a pack of underwear in peacocks (have lost so much weight my knickers are too big ) cost £5 and a cup of tea in costa £2 which wasn't too bad as it was a big enough pot for 2 big cups.

Came home and walked the puppy. Hoovered and loaded the dishwasher. Had a yellow sticker steak and kidney pie for tea (was £1.95 down to 48p) with veg and gravy. The weather has turned really chilly and I needed some comfort food !

Then I ordered a pair of shoes I had seen in Peacocks for work, wide fit and really soft but they didn't have my size in store. I ordered online and they have a special offer on postage for 99p so they only cost £12.99. If they don't fit I can take them back to my local store for a refund rather than the out of town branch we went to today.

Hurricane news - now downgraded to category 3 but expected to get worse again reaching central florida by 2pm sunday. Have had a wapp from DS they are all fine so far. The parks have been closed this evening until Tuesday.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    One of my friends gave me a bag of rhubarb and runner beans yesterday. Went for a puppy walk this morning in the sun but now its cold again and raining. I've put a stew in the slow cooker and stewed the rhubarb for pud .. nom nom ! The rest I will freeze.

The path of the hurricane, now upgraded to category 4 again, has shifted west so should not go directly over orlando, however DS has said they are confined to hotel today. They are still expected to get storm force winds up to 130mph, falling trees & power outages.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 43,435 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Goodness, that sounds scary. DD and I were in Clearwater at the end of last August, and the "normal" storms were fierce enough for us.....

It's definitely winter warmer food weather here as well. I'm recently back from DD's netball match, where the courts have their own microclimate. I'll be wearing my thermal base layer next time I go! KW is out gardening for a friend today, hope he's wrapped up well.
    Marmite jar savings £43
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on puppy walking despite the rain. I do hope that Irma passes by without affecting Orlando. It is so scary. Your poor son - It makes us appreciate living here. Our weather is quite predictable and manageable. I hope he is ok, you must be soo stressed.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Sep 17, 9:14 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    ... hope he's wrapped up well.
    Originally posted by Kittikins

Can tell you are a mummy KK He will be all hot and sweaty working his muscles in the garden

I managed 4 portions of stew from the slow cooker. It was lovely and warming. Have been doing some recall training with puppy this afternoon. Managed a NSD.
    Wapp's from DS they were allowed out and about today until county curfew at 7pm then confined to rooms from 7.30pm until Monday afternoon. Storm conditions not too bad so far. The worst winds are expected overnight the main threat is tornados I feel less worried now I know the hurricane is not going to pass directly over them. My thoughts are with those that have lost everything, their homes and their families/loved ones. Watching the news and seeing the devastation and mass evacuation has been watching a disaster movie and it has been more real knowing DS is potentially in its path.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,985Posts Today

8,272Users online

Martin's Twitter