Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,993Posts
    • 18,290Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 23
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    This is the driveway fabric SW which can also be used as a weed-free membrane so I don't need to weed the borders and raised beds. It is laid on top of the soil and bags of purple slate on top, cut and laid around my existing plants

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p98407?searchstr=apollo%20drive

What a difference a day makes ! Yesterday it was high 20's and I was sunning myself by the marina having lunch and today its pouring with rain ! I went with a friend to chimi changa yesterday and had a 2-for-1 mains voucher. Total cost meal with 2 drinks £12.

I called into the range on the way home and bought a storage chest for the living room
    https://www.therange.co.uk/storage-boxes-cubes-chests-baskets/storage-chests/cushion-and-blanket-boxes/seville-storage-trunk

Last day for DP's tomorrow before they go home I am taking them out for dinner to our local pub for a steak dinner at £5.99 each it shouldn't cost much and will say thank you for all their hard work.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 11-07-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Jul 17, 7:17 AM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Aha, now I understand about the membrane.

Well done on storage boxes. Glad you are enjoying yourself with nice meals. I think the prices are v good.

It is cooling down a bit today.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    We had a lovely meal out last night and DS @ his gf came too so it was a nice family evening.

DP's have gone home today Their bedding is now washed and dried this afternoon and I have hoovered upstairs and down.

Tomorrow I have a day off work. Its a shame I couldn't change it to one of the days DP's were here but I am going to make good use of the day. I am going to B&M to see if they have any of the purple slate on offer as I need to finish off the garden border. Its much cheaper than BnQ. I am going to take some stuff to the tip. No-one came for the free wardrobe on gumtree so DF chopped it in half and it will all go in my car and to the tip along with some other stuff that the bin men won't take.

I am going to have to dip into my savings to pay for the new puppy fence and membrane and slate but it is worth it and if I can get the majority of the work done now whilst I am feeling fairly well there will be less to do when I struggle with my health. I will not miss weeding !!
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hate it when my parents leave as the house feels empty. But soon you will have puppy as well as DS keeping you company. Well done on doing everything today. I had lovely drying weather too. Perfect.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Apart from a shower of rain this morning around 9am the weather has been lovely today and not too hot.

I bought 9 bags of purple slate for my border from B&M cost £3.99 a bag or 3 for £10 so total cost was £30 which was a big saving compared to BnQ £6.62 x 9 = £59.58. Total saving of £29.58 nearly half price I laid the seats down in the back of my little car and covered them with a big plastic sheet. One of the chaps loaded the bags of slate onto a flatbed trolley, pushed it to my car and loaded it into the boot ! Great customer service
    DS unloaded it when he got home and I've spent all afternoon laying it onto the weed-free membrane. I've managed to do half and will finish it tomorrow.

I also got a load of washing done and dried outside and did a load of shredding. I didn't get to the tip today but that can wait till next week.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Jul 17, 8:02 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Excellent work. You have done really well and saved more as a handyman would have charged lots for this job.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Its cloudy this morning but no rain so far. If it stays dry I will wash my work clothes later. Off to the church fete this morning will take a small amount of cash with me so I don't overspend !

Have been looking at more puppy proofing items this morning. We need a safety gate for the kitchen to hallway door and there are 2 at argos that seem to be suitable, extra tall etc. There is a big difference in price

1. white "pressure fit" so no drilling but has a bar at the bottom you have to step over. Overall 91cm high £16.99

2. black "screw fit", no bottom step over bar to trip over. Overall 110cm high £29.99

They both have good reviews from dog owners so its down to how its fitted and price. I have a £10 bonusbond voucher which can be used in argos. We should still be able to shut the door but it may be harder to open the door from the side the gate is fitted to once the door is shut as the door handle is below the height of the metal gate ... so the 91cm may be better. Decisions. decisions !
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have been aching all day and only managed 2 bags of slate. Will do the last 2 bags tomorrow.

I went to the church fete (50p entry fee/donation) and found a brand new black bag just the style I was looking for £1 .....in Matalan £10
    Also won a bottle of banana bread flavour beer on the tombola (50p) - neither DS or I drink beer, but my DM does so I will keep it for her for next time they are visiting Total spend £2

Its been raining on and off all day but it brightened up for long enough to get a load of washing dry (apart from jeans still a bit damp on waist) then started raining again so swiftly brought in & finishing on airers.

Tonight I am supposed to be going out with the girls for drinks at our local pub. I am going to have a lie down and try to rest my back and then hopefully I will feel ok to go out for a few hours.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Jul 17, 6:19 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope the aches have stopped a bit and that you are resting. That is quite a project you are doing. Take it easy.

Well done on finding a bag and winning a prize in the tombola.
    If you can make tonight have fun otherwise have a lie in as you must be exhausted from all of the work.

• Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I had a good night out with the girls last night we didn't arrive till 8.30 and I didn't drink much and so I only spent £6. Was great to catch up with friends and have a good chat and a laugh. We stayed in the local pub so no taxi fare just a short walk home.

Today I am tired so now I am taking it easy. I have finished the garden and put my old table on gumtree. I am just relaxing for the rest of the day.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad you had a good night out. I can't believe you have done the gardening job yourself I wouldn't even know where to start!!!!

Have a good rest. I have had a lazy day I did nothing.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    DP's laid the membrane for me so I just had to wash the slate and spread it on top. I used a beach bucket and spade so I wasn't lifting anything too heavy and I use a thick foam kneeling cushion so I don't have to bend too much

We have agreed on a safety gate ... the winner was .....
    1. white "pressure fit" so no drilling but has a bar at the bottom you have to step over. Overall 91cm high £16.99. I will use my £10 voucher so will only cost £6.99. We now need to agree on a pet carrier for in the car.....

DS is paying for puppy, vet bills, vaccinations & spaying and pet insurance.

I have worked out my budget for the rest of the month £164.22 minus spent in aldi today £53.09 = £111.13. I am out to dinner later this month but hopefully will be able to get some vouchers nearer the time.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I have had no interest in my old dining table and just want it gone now. I've changed it to free for collection so hopefully someone will see it. If it hasn't gone in the next few days I am going to take it to the tip with all the other stuff.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Jul 17, 8:33 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad that DS is adopting lil doggie too and is helping out. Well done on all the gardening stuff it is a big achievement. It was vvv hot today, i didn't do much.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Excited someone has emailed about collecting my table. Hope he does as it saves me taking it to the tip

Am waiting for someone to stop burning/BBQ'ing out the back so I can hang my washing out Hope its not their lunch I can smell as it stinks !!
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello I am glad someone might be taking table away. Yikes to bbq - I hate it when people do that after you hang your washing out.

Is it warm by you? I am sooooo hot. No work done yet.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have been contacted by 2 people about my table one of them is coming tomorrow evening to collect
    Bad news the safety gate is out of stock in Argos pretty much everywhere & for delivery. Am now trying to find another with good reviews at a similar price.

Its warm here but cloudy now and very windy... maybe the forecast is right and there a storm coming
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jul 17, 6:20 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    And by me.
    good luck with the gate. I hope you can get one soon.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have spent ages trying to find another safety gate at similar price with no success. Just had one last check on argos and blow me down with a feather one of the ones we wanted has suddenly become available at my local store They must have been updating their website at the end of the day or something maybe someone had reserved the last one for collection by 6pm today and didn't go and collect / pay. So I have now reserved it for collection tomorrow and it now shows out of stock again. How amazing is that !

Had a few spots of rain earlier but no storm yet.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 18-07-2017 at 8:56 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Jul 17, 2:17 AM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Great news I am v glad. It's been a palaver but it's falling into place for you. I can't believe how much you do. Ive hardly done much today.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 19-07-2017 at 2:19 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,500Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin