Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,990Posts
    • 18,289Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 22
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 1st Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Went to see puppy today 4 weeks to be puppy ready !

I have finished upcycling the old toy/blanket box and it is now the shoe box, in place and all shoes inside. I was going to buy some shoe dividers but managed to find some old shoe boxes and have used those instead just cut/ took the tops off and stacked so not just a pile of shoes inside All shoes now gone from under stairs and looks much better. I don't know why I didn't think of this before !!!

We went to harvester on the way home for lunch which was lovely, no vouchers but mine was only £13.24 with re-fillable pepsi max so I drank loads to get my moneys worth

I have bought some cupboard locks and plug socket covers from amaxon as part of puppy proofing only £4.37 with free delivery. Budget all worked out for the month and meter readings provided for bill in next few days. Here's to July !!
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 12,906 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Only one month and then you will be busy with puppy! Bet you are sooooo excited. Well done on lovely meal and extra drinks and all of your sorting.

30 days to go and counting!!!!!
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 1st Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Am really excited SW
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 12,906 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Puppy is something wonderful you can focus on when ill and puppy will help cheer us all up on the thread. Have you thought of a name?

Ive just ordered red shoes from fleabay - bargain price £15 and I need them for work. It's too late now as I have paid, I have wanted this style for ages so I don't regret it. Well not a lot.... lol.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 1st Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    £15 is great price and you need them so well done on the red shoes.

We are still deciding on a name for her
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 2nd Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good Morning ! Some blue sky here but cloudy. I am going to pick up the new-to-me dining table later this morning, hope its as good as it looks. For £15 I thought I would take a chance and I will give it to the charity shop if it is not suitable for us. Its only 10mins from home and will fit in the back of my car, the seller has already removed the legs so should be ok.

Apart from that not much planned for the day. I am hoping to take it easy and rest my back. Maybe get some bedding washed later if it stays dry.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 2nd Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    My friend came with me to collect the new table as DS didn't get in from work till 2am. Thankfully the lovely sellers lifted it into my car and it wasn't too heavy when my friend helped me get it out again and into the house.

DS doesn't like it because its a lot smaller than our current one but I think its much better and less opportunity to fill it with junk ! I took my friend to the pub for a drink afterwards as it was so hot and bought us both a diet coke so total cost £3.80. It was nice to sit and chat in the sun. Then I have slept this afternoon and am just going for a walk to get some air and exercise. I think once we have given the table a few days to get accustomed to the size it will be fine. I will put my old table on gumtree and try and get back the £15. Back to work tomorrow, where did the weekend go ??
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 2nd Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 12,906 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    today has gone by really quickly. Glorious though. Well done on new table.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Work not so good today. I keep plodding on all the time they keep paying me

After work I went to the pub for lunch with a friend. She bought me a drink and I had 8oz steak, onion rings. chips, mushrooms peas and half grilled tomato £5.99 with peppercorn sauce £1 lovely meal and great price. Afterwards I came home and had a snooze

We are now both happy with the new table so I have photographed the old one ready to put on gumtree. As DP's are coming Thursday I will take the legs off and put it in the utility room out of the way until they have gone home.

I was looking at room dividers to section the kitchen off from the dining part of my L shaped kitchen diner as part of puppy proofing and instead of spending nearly £100 I had a brainwave and DS brought down the sides of his old cot from the loft. As my DF (king of diy ) has agreed one of these will be fixed in place to go just over halfway across the room with one side sliding across in front of the other to make an exit/entrance way. This should be high enough whilst puppy is small to keep her out of trouble and cost should be minimal if any additional fixings/screws are needed. I knew I was keeping some of this clutter for a reason
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 12,906 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on escaping from work. I completely get it!

I think it's great that you can use this gate feature from existing materials in the house. Very MSE

I wish I knew where you ate for such good prices. All the places I know are really expensive.

It rained today. Almost all of my dd's have gone, I have £100 cash for the rest of the month and will be living on my credit card
    But that is because I have bought furniture and paid for two birthdays which are expensive £80 - I wont be giving out that kind of present any more on my new salary.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Jul 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    We have an agreement in our family that presents are limited to £10 for birthdays and £10-£15 for xmas apart from I spend a bit more on DS.

Have been feeling rather unwell the last few days. still working but sleeping a lot when I get home. DP's arrive tomorrow and the house is a tip ! The spare room is tidy and hoovered, just need to make their bed in a minute. Have done some ironing this afternoon but there is stuff everywhere. I did warn them when they decided to come They are treating us to a takeaway tomorrow so at least I don't have to cook
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 5th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 12,906 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I'm going to have to do this £10 for birthdays now. I think it's a good idea. I'm not surprised you are unwell. Most people are not coping with this ridiculous heat and if you have any medical conditions it is much worse.

Glad your parents are coming. Yum to Chinese. I love takeaway.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    busy busy morning all a bit of a blur. Came home and slept for an hour. Did some tidying and then DP's arrived with dog crate and metal netting for bottom of fence to stop any digging. Cant get any time off work to spend with them but at least I can see them later in the day. Too hot to do much today, Chinese for tea nom nom ! paid for by DP's such a treat Just off to bed
    sooo tired gnite x
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    • 12,906 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on lovely meal. It's the heat, blooming hot over here too. We should have had rain here but it didn't. I have drowned the garden to make sure my flowers survive.

Hooray to puppy prep.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I have a cold my nose is red and running ... in fact I think it must be man flu and I don't think I can do anything else today

Work over for another week I called into sainsbobs on my way home & picked up more salad, ice-cream and BBQ meat on offer. May have been cheaper in aldi but sainsbobs is easier to get to and loads of parking and I couldn't face aldi feeling yucky. May have a bbq for dinner tonight as its too hot to cook indoors !! DP's are out for a walk so I am going to snooze soon so I will be a bit more sociable later

Shopping spent so far £91.27 / £320. Must stay on budget this month. DF is going to do some DIY for me and DM is going to do my ironing and I will look at their home & car insurance on comparison sites & help them with some financial stuff in exchange.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 12,906 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Flu oh poor you. I hope you can rest and make a quick recovery. It is v hot here and it is making me tired so goodness knows how tired you are. Glad you managed to get some food in and that your parents are there to look after you.

Your mum is like mine I turn my back and she is up to some housework and doesn't stop! We are soooo lucky.

I hope you have a good rest and enjoy being looked after.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Still got a cold, but its lovely weather today and a nice breeze so am out in the garden.

Went to BnQ at 7am this morning .... yes 7am !!!

Got picket fencing 3 ft x 6ft for bargain price of £13 each ....even cheaper than bay of E ! We went super early so that I could drive home with it hanging out of the boot. We secured it with rope and red rags hanging off the back but drove slowly home. Thankfully there was no traffic around. Also got some brackets and a hook for the cot sides which are now fixed as a dog gate in the kitchen diner. DF is putting up the picket fence for the garden to keep the puppy on the patio. We can then open it up if we want her to go into the garden or on the lawn. It will be self standing so no need for posts & concrete. Its going well so far but we have had to stop as its too hot now to work. I've also been pruning shrubs and DM has been weeding the raised bed for me.

We are having BBQ later when it has cooled down a bit. Hope everyone is enjoying the weather
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 12,906 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    OMG. You did building work in this weather? Well done, I hope the bbq was good. I fancy a bbq. Good luck with the rest of the work, I hope you are resting and supervising your parents and DS with a glass of lemsip in your hand and snoozing in between. Do try to rest a bit
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 18,289 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Don't worry I was mostly supervising from under the sun brolly

BBQ was lovely last night and DM made a lovely roast today we had it early at 12 to avoid the afternoon heat when the sun comes round the back of the house about 2pm

The fence is almost finished and the borders are weeded. Went to toolstation this morning, not at 7am this time a more reasonable hour of 10am today, and bought some membrane for the alleyway at the back of the house with enough left over to cover my borders and raised bed to stop weeds. The shed has been emptied and tidied and lots of stuff ready to go to the tip. We sat in the garden all afternoon and relaxed - it was too hot to do anything else.

I am out to lunch tomorrow with a friend and have managed to get some vouchers online 2-for-1 and 25% off depending on where we decide to go, so hopefully shouldn't cost much
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 09-07-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 12,906 Posts
    • 46,468 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    V good on vouchers and well done on getting membrane for garden. I am not sure what it is though. Today looks like it is going to be a nice day too have fun with your friend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,498Posts Today

8,578Users online

Martin's Twitter