Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,861Posts
    • 18,076Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 20
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 18,076 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I've managed some washing today and decluttered 2 more black bin bags full of stuff. DS brought another shelf unit down from the loft which has gone into the utility room & now all the paint and tools are off the floor there is more room to move in there and you can now get to the printer !

The box of boxing gloves & martial arts equipment has gone from the hallway onto the bottom shelf. Just one more storage box to go from the hallway to make space for the old toy/blanket box. Then the shoes can go off the floor under the stairs and into the box Phew I am shattered. I am going to paint/paper the box tomorrow as DS is out for the day. I got him to do all the heavy lifting whilst he was home today

DS has someone who wants the weight bench and weights so just need to sort the wardrobe and treadmill. Its coming together but is very tiring. My feet are not too swollen but are sore with the heat and I've had a nap this afternoon. DS is treating us to a curry for dinner, should arrive shortly.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 46,332 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on achieving so much. I am struggling to stay awake with the heat! Enjoy your curry.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Jun 17, 8:54 AM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 18,076 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Am so excited we are going to see a puppy next Saturday

We have found a reputable breeder through someone whose husband is a vet and they have a litter 2-3 weeks old They wont be ready until 8-9 weeks so still lots of time to declutter They come with health checks certificates etc.

It looks like being a scorcher today. I am washing bedding both lots if weather continues hot all day. Just doing the blanket box today and pottering as feel tired and don't want to overdo it. DS & gf going out shortly. Hoping to meet up with a friend this afternoon.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 46,332 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Wow to puppy and well done on washing. I have one lot out.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Jun 17, 9:22 AM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 18,076 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    wow its gonna be hot again today ! I struggled with the heat yesterday. A friend text me at the last minute to go out to lunch at 12 so we wandered round the local pub and had 2 meals for £9.99 and shared a pitcher of pimms for £7.99. Then I came home and slept for an hour It didn't cool down later so I didn't get the painting done.

Today I'm going food shopping for 10am opening time to avoid the rush / heat later. Then I will paint/paper the storage box & do more washing.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 46,332 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I understand about the heat it is so hot here too. My greenhouse was really well watered last night and everything looks so dried up now (I forgot to leave the door open this morning!!!)

I hope you can do your shopping as I just want to sleep!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 18,076 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hope your plants recover SW !!

I am having a sit down in the cool living room with my feet up as they are throbbing in this heat. So far today I did shopping and unpacked it, then did some batch cooking before the sun came round the back of the house and make the kitchen very hot. I've done 2 loads of washing and 1 load of ironing and helped DS sort his travel insurance. I know he's old enough to do it himself but with all the small print and medical questions its a nightmare and at least I know he's covered.

Tonight we are having a BBQ. I made some potato salad earlier and DS is sorting the rest so no cooking for me We probably wont eat until about 8pm when it has cooled down outside a bit.

One of the phones I bought as part of a triple set has stopped working. I have just found the box and am going to try and get it working again. Can't afford to buy new ones. I put £10 petrol in the car today, paid my credit card in full and have £59.12 left for food until payday at the end of June.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 46,332 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello Skint Yet Again, well done on managing to cook in this weather. It is so hot I am struggling to eat and keep falling asleep. I have the fan on which only happens once in a blue moon.

I once found my phone wasn't working and later discovered they were rechargeable ones and needed charging after a certain amount of time.

It is soooo hot.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 18,076 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks for the tip on batteries SW. The phone display was working but no dial tone. I took the batteries out and put them back in again and hey presto its fixed !!

We had our BBQ last night once it had cooled down outside. I found half a bag of charcoal in the shed and some lighter fluid from last year.

It was so hot in the night I didn't sleep well even with the fan on. I couldn't face food this morning so I took a yoghurt, a handful of pecan granola and a banana to work and ate them about 9am. I've just had a bag of value noodles from morrisons for lunch 25p, couldn't face anything else. Trying to drink plenty of water too.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 46,332 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I have just had a bag of crisps - a giant bag!!! oh dear.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 18,076 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Eat what you can in this heat SW. DS cooked dinner last night on the BBQ and we sat in the garden all evening. I will be glad when it cools down a bit hopefully in the next day or so as I am really struggling today. I have done nothing but sleep since coming in from work. No decluttering done in last few days.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 46,332 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    All I did was sleep too and then woke up to do the washing up and watering the garden. It might rain on Thursday by me.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 18,076 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thankfully it did cool down yesterday evening there was a nice breeze. I bought one of those cook-in-the-bag chickens on sunday from aldee and I put that in the oven, we just had micro rice and salad with it so not too much cooking involved and less washing up . I slept better last night as it was cooler. Its not as hot indoors today, all the windows are open but fans not needed so saving on electric.

Today I have been to sainsbobs to get some food shopping including stuff cant get in aldee dorset cereal & comfort eye drops for DS. Also bought some more BBQ charcoal - the sort that you just set fire to the bag, so less messing about. Flavoured rice was on offer 80p so got a couple of bags for DS. Total spend £31.60.

Tonight I am out with the girls for a drink at the local pub. I have £10 left in my purse which should be enough, I wont be drinking as I will be driving early in the morning for work.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 46,332 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on bargains at Aldee and it's good that you are going out for such a good price.

It is way too hot here am hoping it will rain tomorrow so I don't need to worry about the garden too much.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 18,076 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Had a great time last night it was cooler outdoors and in the pub than in the house. I just had a couple of diet cokes and pulled pork with chips £2.79 so came home with change from a tenner.

Its 10 degrees cooler today and much more bearable. I have washing on and am going to do some decluttering this afternoon.

Bank rewards are in for this month £8.07. I will need to go shopping for more meat, salad and new potatoes before payday but am putting it off as long as possible.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 46,332 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on such a nice day out. It was supposed to rain here but didn't but it is cooler I am glad to say!

Ive just done a clothes wash but I don't know if it will dry in time!

Hope you are having a good day.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Jun 17, 7:18 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 18,076 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    If you've got a good breeze blowing it should dry SW. It got hot again mid afternoon but has now clouded over and is cooler. I got one lot of washing dried outside and ironed. I've loaded and unloaded the dishwasher and cleaned the bathroom.

Had a NSD today. I made some banana "ice-cream" yesterday with a couple of very ripe bananas, just chopped, frozen then blitzed in blender ... it is sooo nice I am making a curry for dinner now its cooled down.

I am glad its Friday tomorrow, roll on the weekend !
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 22-06-2017 at 7:21 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 46,332 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Me too. I love the weekend. Work is so uninspiring at the moment.

I like the sound of this icecream. Yum.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 23rd Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 18,076 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    hurrah its Friday

Went shopping after work and had to use my credit card. Total amount spent £54.00- total left in shopping budget £24.52 However I've just realised DS is away 3 days next week and 5 days in July so I will take the balance out of next months budget.

Had a call from the puppy lady and they are still too small for visits she said they haven't got any personality yet so we will have to go next week instead, still disappointing but can understand it will be better to wait. Haven't told DS yet as he has an interview this afternoon.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 23rd Jun 17, 3:34 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 46,332 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on saving money on next week's food shop. Sorry you can't see puppy yet but it will be great for you when you can. Puppies are lovely and he will be sooooo loved I am sure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter