Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,728Posts
    • 17,776Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 19
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Work over for another day. Its a struggle this week, roll on Friday.

Trip to Aldi after work shopping was £48.74
    total so far £153.61 / £320.

Had a text from pharmacy at 12 stating my prescription was ready for collection but when I arrived at 1.20pm it wasn't ready I waited 15 minutes and was lucky that I double checked the bag before I left as they had given me the wrong tablets ! As they are new I wasn't sure and the pharmacist said they were on the prescription but it turns out I was correct after having to persuade the pharmacist to check the prescription he admitted they were wrong and changed them !!

After unpacking shopping and some lunch I am too tired to go out again, so I will pick up my Matalan order tomorrow.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 12,653 Posts
    • 46,146 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done in finding out before you left the pharmacy rather than in the night or something! I was supposed to pick up some stuff as I will run out after breakfast but our late meeting went on till after 6pm so I will not be able to do blood tests in the day tomorrow till after work!
    Savings Fund £500/£3000 16%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) £10/£600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    SW I hope you are ok and manage to get your bloods done soon and hope you are not feeling poorly.

I've had a trip to Matalan this afternoon - what a palaver ! First of all the sealed parcel set off the alarms as I left. They had to cut it open and take everything out to deactivate the security tags. Then I noticed one pair of shoes was badly scuffed and damaged with black marks on the pale grey suede They refunded the money after an argument over which card I paid with, I know I paid on my MasterCard credit card but they were insisting I paid with VISA because that was printed on the delivery order.

I've brought the rest of the stuff home but the two pairs of linen blend cropped trousers are horribly saggy and scratchy. The cream shoes are my size but are huge and slob off my feet.

So out of the whole order I am only keeping one pair of cropped trousers £9.60. I have ordered a replacement pair of the pale grey suede mules as they were lovely but they now cost full price £14.00 rather than the 20% discounted price of £11.20. I have sent an email to customer services but doubt they will discount them again. What a faff !
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 12,653 Posts
    • 46,146 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    What a nightmare! I thought as they were such a popular shop they would a have decent customer service.

I hope you can get decent clothes when you go there again. When I buy new things I tend to go to Marks and Spencer and Monsoon, they have great customer service. Or I buy them from fleabay at a much cheaper price. I have done this without problems (other than I didn't like the style or I changed my mind) so it is pretty safe to do this from fleabay if you trust the brand.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    SW I have caught your fleabay buying bug. Good luck with picking yours up tomorrow

I have bid on a pine chest of drawers for my bedroom just the right size I need (more of a tallboy) I am the only bidder so far price £20 & not very far away for collection. If I get them for that I will be happy but also I wouldn't be too bothered if I am out-bid. Don't really want to spend more than £20. I am still in the process of stripping paint from a pine bedside cabinet I got for free off gumtree and this will match with my other furniture.

Am glad its Friday ! Load of washing out on the line, its lovely and sunny but still very windy. DS going out shortly for the evening so I am trying to decide what to have for dinner. I don't want to spend on a takeaway so I might cook the Cajun rub ribs I got in aldi £2.99 with some salad & sweet potato wedges and save money instead.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 9th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 12,653 Posts
    • 46,146 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am so envious you did your drying outside in this. I hope it is nice tomorrow as I want to do some. Well done on nice meal from aldi - I wish there was one by me! Fleabay is great for things I have saved loads.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Jun 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Woke up around 4am with an anxiety attack about something at work yesterday. Have been trying to keep busy to take my mind off things as I cant do anything until Monday and cant get back to sleep.

We have been talking about getting a small dog and I have been looking on the rescue sites (its heartbreaking to see so many looking for homes) there are a few that may be suitable so I will chat to DS when he gets up.

Have checked online banking and emails. Post has arrived and the postie has brought me a water bill boo ! £12.45 from 10 July so I will need to update my soa at the end of June.

Its a lovely sunny day, I have towels just finishing to hang out & if it stays dry I will do my work clothes later.

Then its continuing with the decluttering and sorting. If we are going to have a dog I have told DS all clutter needs to be gone first ! .... including that pesky wardrobe in the kitchen
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Lovely sunny morning yesterday, clouded over in the afternoon but still warm. 2 loads of washing done. All food from stores - no takeaways !

We managed to make good progress on operation "puppy proofing" yesterday. 4 black bags removed and the recycling bin is full and that was just the stuff on the treadmill and one cupboard in the utility room
    I am now going to get rid of my treadmill and a few other things sorted for e bay / gum tree. Making room in the utility means we can put stuff in there out of the way, I just need to get a hook for the door as it closes but doesn't click shut with the existing handle and just pushes open. I will need to get some cupboard locks for the kitchen too but they are only a few pounds on amaxon. I will get DS to move the treadmill into the living room for now to make space for the dog bed. A friend has offered to lend us a puppy crate so that's one less expense.

I think the garden will be the biggest challenge. I have been looking up poisonous plants and I am going to have to remove some from my border & raised bed including the dianthus pinks I bought at bargain price last month. Still, better safe than sorry.

We have the new fence up on one side but we are thinking of getting a small dog which could go digging / escaping !! We can get wire mesh fencing to go along the bottom of the wooden fence as there is a gap and also to go along the bottom of the bi-fold gates at the end of the garden, and around the bottom of the shed. Screwfix is fairly cheap for wire fencing. The other side of the garden is a brick wall with wooden fencing on top so nothing needed there.

Oh blimey what am I letting myself in for
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 11-06-2017 at 8:43 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 11th Jun 17, 8:49 AM
    • 12,653 Posts
    • 46,146 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    How in the heck did I miss your post yesterday? A puppy is lovely. OMG I kept looking for posts yesterday but didn't see any???? Gosh you have been busy.

• Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Busy day again today too. Phew I am pooped !

Two more black bin bags of tat / rubbish removed. So much card and paper I had to empy recycling bin and squash it all then repack to get it all in Two kitchen cupboards decluttered & washing liquid / cleaning stuff put away, also bottles of booze stashed away. Not that we have much lol but what we do have lasts ages as we don't drink much.

Had a walk in the sun round the pond, there are loads of Canada geese around at the moment and they are very vocal. I've heard them flying over the house the last few nights where the living room windows have been open. Dropped some glass at the bottle bank and picked up some milk at the co-op. Then I did some weeding and cut the grass.

Now that I can see the treadmill I will clean it and take some photos and give it a try on gumtree - if no one offers on it I will give it away just to get rid of it and have some space
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 11th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 12,653 Posts
    • 46,146 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on doing so much. Make sure you have a bit of a rest.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 12th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I dozed for 2 hours on the sofa till 8pm last night then had dinner and did a bit more tidying. I am really tired today I didn't want to get up for work at 5.30 lol

Went shopping after work £55.62 in aldi. total so far this month £213.48 / £320 which means for next 2 weeks = £106.52 left till payday. Must try to be on budget this month.

Had a half hour snooze on the sofa this afternoon then another bag of stuff sorted & found a £10 bonus bond gift voucher still valid until 16/8/17 can be used in argos, so will probably put it towards some storage or a new bathroom bin.

Its green bin day tomorrow, my neighbour shares it with me and he had loads to put in this week so he dragged it round the front of the house. I pulled up the last of the dried up bluebells and tidied the front garden a bit. Its meant to be nice tomorrow I am going to pick up / return parcels to Matalan after work and then I want to spray the weeds front and back of the house with weedkiller. Probably more tidying in the evening. 3 weeks till D day (doggy day- when we start looking )

I am just going for a short walk to get some fresh air. Early night tonight I think !
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Returned some items to Matalan after work today. Kept one pair of shoes £12 and one pair of trousers £9.60 = £21.60 rather than £49.60 of stuff I originally ordered.

Called into McD drive-thru on the way home and had a big mac and fries £1.99 for lunch.

It's a lovely afternoon I am going for a stroll shortly and will post my fathers day card. I still have some 2nd class stamps from Christmas so I will use one of those as I have been organised enough to post it early !
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Jun 17, 7:59 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    This afternoon I sprayed all the weeds front and back of the house and between the paving slabs, then I went for a walk and posted my fathers day card. I have already got my dad a magazine subscription for xmas / birthday / fathers day. Then I had a walk round the pond, came home and slept for an hour !

My ebay chest of drawers ends in an hour and I have been outbid by a large amount already so its not meant to be. I have gone up to what I can afford and I'm going to stop looking now
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Jun 17, 1:40 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I almost gave in and bid again on the chest of drawers last night but managed to resist.

I sorted another bag of paperwork and put a bag of items out for the charity shop collection today. Age UK have put a card through to say they have collected so that's one less bag I have to get rid of. It was all decent or new stuff that I don't have the time or energy to e bay, not worth a lot.

I am considering emptying the blanket box upstairs (was DS's toy box when he was young) and bringing it into the hallway to store shoes / boots away as part of puppy proofing. It means disposing of some of the spare quilts & pillows that don't get used. We only really need 1 spare and a couple of pillows and they would fit in the pine top-box on top of my wardrobe. I am looking for some sort of dividers to put inside to keep the shoes separated and not just all chucked on top of one another. I have seen some clear shoe boxes on e bay 20 for £11.97. I was thinking they could be stored upright heel first to fit more inside the blanket box. Will need to measure up.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 12,653 Posts
    • 46,146 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello I am sorry I haven't posted it has been manic at work. I am hoping to have Friday off. We shall see.

Glad you still managed to treat yourself to some clothes and a McDonalds. Well done on not overbidding on fleabay things are always being posted.

You have done sorting and gardening which is great. The weather has been glorious I am hoping to enjoy it at the weekend.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Jun 17, 6:07 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    This week has been a struggle at work. Thankfully I am off tomorrow and am going to spend the day cleaning and painting !

I have emptied the blanket / toy box as it is an ideal size for the hallway for shoes. I have chucked 2 old past-it quilts and one old pillow. Its bin day in the morning and I have 7 bags of junks as well as normal rubbish to put out
    I am going to give the blanket box a sand down tonight and then a coat of paint tomorrow from my paint hoard !

We are now considering a golden Labrador puppy and we are phoning them tomorrow to arrange to see them They wont be ready for 2 weeks so still got time to get rid of larger items, which I will photograph and put on gum tree tomorrow. DS is going to put the wardrobe back together.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Jun 17, 9:12 PM
    • 12,653 Posts
    • 46,146 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I'm off tomorrow too. It sounds like you had a great declutter. Hooray for the Labrador puppy. That will give you something happy to focus on when work is not nice.

Have a good night.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Jun 17, 8:48 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 17,776 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good morning, lovely and sunny today and I have a day off work

I've had a lovely lie in (usually up at 5.20am) woke around 7.30am and put the rubbish out on the kerb (10 bags, I hope they take it all !!) and I'm now sat back in bed now with a cup of tea.

I've checked online banking and transferred some money to stop going overdrawn by 0.86p until DS pays his board. I get paid at the beginning of the month and he gets paid in the middle.

Good news I have received an apology email from Mat-alan & they are giving me £10 voucher. I need a new black handbag for work as the old one is falling apart so will use it for that I think.

I went into the kitchen last night and there was a huge spider on the blanket box First time we've had one in the house for ages ... maybe the mice were eating them before lol. Anyway it was duly dispatched, had to do it myself as DS was at work. The box has a painted top and wallpaper on the sides (covering dinosaur & rugrats stickers lol) and is a duckegg colour. Job for today will be to paint the top of the box cream and wallpaper the sides. I have some cream calligraphy style wallpaper with old roses and butterflies left over from the bedroom chimney breast which will fit with the decor of the hallway better. I love recycling / upcycling stuff, especially when I don't have much money.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 16-06-2017 at 8:54 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 12,653 Posts
    • 46,146 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am glad they sent you a voucher. Well done on getting rid of all the junk and also on upcycling. Weather has been great today. Yikes to spiders.

I had to sleep twice today as it was too hot hope you are ok with the heat.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 16-06-2017 at 5:40 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

1,392Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin