Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,623Posts
    • 17,396Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 16
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th May 17, 4:34 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Haha I slept half the day SW and napped for an hour and a half after my walk Do a bit, sleep a bit is my motto

Trip to Pound land after work today as lightbulb had blown in kitchen. I have a ceiling fan with 3 light bulbs over the dining room table but as we don't really use the table I only ever have one bulb at a time to save money. They have a sale in 1 land and everything is 90p so I got a pack of 2 bulbs 90p, oust air freshener 90p, standup toothpaste tubes 2 x 90p and some plasters 90p total 4.50 saved 50p !

Then popped to aldi and spent 52.88 which included some toiletries / cleaning stuff too (deodorant, shampoo, kitchen roll, anti-bac wipes, washing-up liquid).

total 224.28 / 320

I will need to buy more meat / steak on Friday to last over the weekend

Its grey and raining here. I bought some lean diced beef and a madras curry sauce and will make beef and veg curry in the oven for dinner and will batch cook some chicken breasts whilst the oven is on.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th May 17, 2:03 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Its a nice sunny warm afternoon here today, I have got some washing just finishing to hang out.

I popped to Morissons today on the way home and was lucky that most of what I wanted was on offer

savers curry noodles 20p a bag = 5 for 1
    tilda / uncle bens flavoured micro rice 1 a bag x 3
    (DS usually has plain basmati from aldi 49p but asked if he could have the occasional flavoured pack and as he pays for his own shopping and they were on offer I got a few bags)
    fajita seasoning on offer 50p a packet x 6 (cant seem to get this anywhere else S/Maria seasoning)
    V05 matt clay (for DS hair) on offer 3
    value Hairspray 70p x 3
    Yorkshire tea bags 50% extra free = 240 bags for 4 (they were 2 for 80 in co-op the other day)
    Loyds grossman sauce 1
    also got some mince and chicken

total 21.37 = total grocery budget may 245.65 / 320

My referral form for ENT came today and I tried to book online but there are NO appointments available I wondered if it was due to the cyber attack so I tried to book on the phone and same - no appointments - so I have had to leave my details and wait for them to phone me by 30th May

So much for Choose & Book !!
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 12,460 Posts
    • 45,802 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on grocery shopping at good prices. Good luck with ENT appointment. Good luck I hope you get one soon.
    Savings Fund(Nov 2017) 7000/8000 84%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) 60/600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th May 17, 4:46 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks SW - fingers crossed.

Well the SHTF at work today lots of moves and people not happy. My new manager is very nice and I've heard good reports, also the team all seem friendly so I'm hopeful.

I went out to lunch after work with a friend and used my 2 for 10 at toby carvery. I had re-fillable coke so total cost 7.40. We went and sat in the lounge bar after we had eaten and just kept re-filling the coke glasses. Great value and food was lovely AND they had crackling my favourite

Its been pouring with rain all day today. I did get some washing done yesterday and pottered in the garden for an hour before the rain started, so I am just going to relax for the rest of today.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th May 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I've been out to lunch again today ! We went from work to the caf! nearby I had pork loin, roast potatoes and veg - yes another roast dinner - and a cup of tea, total 7.

I have 3 left in my purse to pay for the diabetes conference next week and 78.01 left in the bank until payday, which includes food. I have enough petrol to get to work tomorrow and then I am off next week I just need to get a non-loss paintbrush from tool station and I am all set for decorating
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th May 17, 8:54 PM
    • 12,460 Posts
    • 45,802 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Lunching out again. I am soooooo jealous! Well done you on having nice food though for such a good price.

Well done on cash situation and the fact you have money in the bank. Well organised.

So you are painting next week. I think the weather should be a lot nicer than this week which is good news. It is hard to do but soooo satisfying when it is done
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th May 17, 1:36 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    No lunch out today boo !!
    Yesterdays was a bit last minute as the "last supper" for my current team. Busy day today but I am now on holiday

Popped into Aldi on the way home and got some meat for DS for next week so I don't have to shop on Monday total 26.70. Car service plan direct debit still to come off 28.04 so

Money remaining till payday 41.31.

Just need some more meat, milk and veg before payday but should be enough money left and I can pop into aldi on the way back from the diabetes conference on Thursday.

All household bills now paid and rewards this month 8.07.

Its sunny and warm out today, lovely after all the rain but not to last as rain forecast later this afternoon. Hoping we will miss the showers tomorrow and its meant to be dry and warm on sunday yay !!
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th May 17, 4:45 PM
    • 12,460 Posts
    • 45,802 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for the weekend.

It was supposed to rain here but its been gorgeous!!!! Happy holiday.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th May 17, 7:52 AM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Awake early and the sun is shining Plans for today -
    - at least one load of washing.
    - wash down bathroom ceiling with anti-mould spray ready for painting later in the week
    - skim the weeds off the alleyway at the back of the house with my spade as they are all dead after being sprayed a few weeks ago. I will just manage to do a few a day over the course of the week off.

I have checked online banking and paid my credit card in full which is a relief but the bills bank account / emergency fund is now empty

Fence 355.53
    dentist 53.90
    vm line rental saver 196
    dishwasher replacement wheels 25.55
    house insurance 178.20
    boiler repairs and service 158

I am glad I saved monthly over the last year for these bills but I now need to build up the savings pot again starting after payday as the account is empty which is worrying me, however I budget 100 a month for big bills (car/house insurance, line rental saver, car repairs / tax, house maintenance, clothes/hair).

I need to buy a non-loss paintbrush from tool station 2.77 for decorating week from Monday. I also need some long-life AA batteries for my carbon monoxide detector which started chirping "low battery" yesterday and some blades for my hover mower 2.65 so I will do some online amaxon / bay of E shopping later today and try to resist looking at anything else !

I will use my credit card, should only be about 10 total and pay it in full in June. I will also need to get my hair done in June so that's 40. So that's about 50 left to put into the bills account in June. Next big bill will be December car insurance (last year 193.60) so 50 in June and 100 a month from July the pot should be built up a bit more by then.

I still have my long-term savings untouched (just over 500), my holiday money 200 and the birthday / Christmas account 50 a month is still looking healthy. So I will try not to worry about the bills account being empty just now.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 20-05-2017 at 9:42 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 12,460 Posts
    • 45,802 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done in planning ahead. My holiday savings are a bit rubbish at the moment as I keep raiding them. You are working really hard well done.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th May 17, 5:19 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hi SW, I managed to get 2 loads of washing done and dried between really heavy downpours about 10am and 2pm. I cleaned the bathroom and wiped the ceiling with the anti mould stuff ready for painting later in the week. I had an afternoon nap and then skimmed off about a 1/3 of the weeds in the alleyway at the back of the house. Thankfully they came off really easily now they are dead and the ground is so soft with all the rain.

I am really tired now so I am relaxing for the rest of the evening with my feet up.
    I just need to cook some dinner but it will be something I can just bung in the oven.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st May 17, 7:44 AM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good Morning, sunny Sunday here !

DS was up for work at 5.30 so as I was already awake I got up and had a cuppa with him before he left. Am now back in bed and feeling sleepy so may have a snooze shortly. I am in no rush to get up today.

I have ordered 20 hover mower blades and 8 duracel ultra on bay of E who were cheapest for both at a total of 7 with free p&p. Considering the mower blades alone were 4 for 6 at BnQ I think that's a good price.

Plans for the rest of the day
    1. skim another 1/3 of weeds off alleyway
    2. Finish sorting / shredding pile of paperwork in the living room
    3. go for a walk & pop to co-op for milk.

I can't do any washing today as I have run out of washing liquid, so unless there is any great deals on at the co-op I will get some later in the week when I go to aldi. I did DS's work stuff yesterday and I don't need mine till I go back to work after the bank holiday (yay !)
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 21-05-2017 at 8:00 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st May 17, 10:43 AM
    • 12,460 Posts
    • 45,802 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello the sun has finally come up here! Have a good lie in I did.

Now I am after a laaaaaaaate start planning to do many things. Have a good day and lets hope we get lots done.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st May 17, 9:26 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    The weather has been lovely today. I am so tired I am going to bed soon !

I managed to get back to sleep till 10.30 this morning then went for a walk and dropped some glass at the bottle bank. I popped into co-op on the way back and got milk 1 and pepsi max on offer 6 cans for 2. They also had orange blossom concentrated 2 in 1 washing gel on offer 2.50, as it was such lovely drying weather I couldn't resist !! Got 1 load washed and dried outside and it smells lovely and orangey

I managed to skim another 1/3 of weeds off the alleyway and that's it for today. I was only out with the spade for about 30 mins but I really ache now I am so unfit lol.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 21-05-2017 at 9:28 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd May 17, 9:35 AM
    • 12,460 Posts
    • 45,802 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Weeding is sooo hard. Half an hour is plenty. I would only do it in 15 minute sessions.Well done on bargains at shop and in walking about in fab weather.

I'm about to mow the garden. Now join in with me "....one woman went to mow went to mow a meadow......".
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd May 17, 9:53 AM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Bright sunny morning here today, blimey I ache... no weeding for me today

I have checked online banking and as I have not been paid a million pounds overnight the balance until payday after yesterdays co-op spend is 31.81

so my plans for rest of the day

1. pop into town for printer ink - wilko are coming out the cheapest at 10 for black ink, all others are 3-4 more expensive. I was waiting for payday for this but DS needs it before then for a course, so he is paying. DONE

2. pop into asda for frozen veg=broccoli & cabbage and green beans 3 minus priceguarantee voucher 1 and taking back a food container 1 (I bought 3 but only need 2) = total spend will be 1 DONE

3. trip to tool station on the way home for no-loss paint brush= 2.77 on credit card DONE

4 then lunch will be McD hack at 1.99 for big mac and fries, a girl has gotta have some treats when she is on holiday DONE (nom nom )

5 . paint bathroom ceiling - DS off to gym later then he will shower when he gets back before going to work - it will need to let it dry first then I will paint later.

6. load of washing just finishing to go out on the line. DONE

Have a good day !
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; Yesterday at 1:41 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd May 17, 6:00 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I was lucky this morning and managed to get a free parking space right in the centre of town and I got the last hp ink cartridge in wilko for 10 bargain.

Also managed to get a parking space in the end bay outside tool station which only has 6 parking spaces ! Usually I get sandwiched between 2 white vans and have to twist my back to get out and back in the car !

Had to put 10 petrol in the car though as the orange empty light came on. I put it on my credit card and will pay it out of next months petrol budget. Should last now till payday.

Painting the bathroom ceiling took about an hour- it is only small. The coving may need another coat tomorrow. I've washed out the brush for re-use but binned the roller and carrier bag that covered the paint tray so nothing else needed washing.

I sat with my feet up and enjoyed watching the Chelsea Flower Show.... have you been watching SW ?? ... such lovely gardens I wish mine was as nice. I am now bringing in the washing a few bits at a time as I need to keep moving so I don't seize up, just 2 tshirts now to bring in and iron then all done.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd May 17, 6:36 PM
    • 12,460 Posts
    • 45,802 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done you. You have done soo much. I fell asleep mowing the grass and work meeting finished me off!!!

I haven't been watching but think i have taped it as i keep falling asleep as soon as i get in from work. lol.

Weather was glorious here. Simply wonderful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin