Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,647Posts
    • 17,445Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Page 12
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Miracle of miracles, I rang the Doctors surgery at 8am and managed to get an appointment for 9am. The Doctor who wrote to ENT has had a reply but the Doc I saw today couldn't see the reply so I have to wait for the original Doc to write to me This is ridiculous that I have to wait for a letter. Also discussed diabetes and she has referred me to dietician, in the meantime I have to take the second lot of pills now prescribed. Am fed up of feeling ill & tired. Doc says tiredness is side effect of diabetes & may improve with low carbing and new pills - all other tests came back normal which is good news.

Its a lovely sunny day but a bit chilly, I called into Aldi on the way home and got some low carb foods and am going to eat a similar low carb diet to DS but not as much meat !! I have had an omelette for breakfast, 2 eggs a few mushrooms & a slice of ham.

The washing machine is just finishing and I am going to hang towels out and then use my long handled sponge and the hose pipe and wash the back windows and upvc guttering on the lower floor of my half height extension as it is really grubby. Hopefully it wont be too hard as I struggle to get my hands above my head due to my back problems The upstairs rear windows need doing but they are tilt and turn so can be cleaned by opening inwards and the top roof guttering is too high but thankfully is still white and shiny as was only replaced 1-2 years ago
    I am also going to spray the weeds in the alleyway at the rear of the house with weedkiller to keep them down. The green bin has been emptied so I need to drag that round the back before I spray the alley.
    I think that will probably be enough for today !
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 18-04-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Apr 17, 7:05 AM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Wow I ache today after washing down the rear windows & guttering yesterday, but it does look good now its clean I also sprayed the alley with weedkiller.

I think I will need a day of rest before doing the front windows as I don't think I can lift my arms above my head today lol.

Today I am going to sew the hem of my bedroom curtains & sort more clutter into the boot of my car for a tip run at the end of the week. I am putting off sorting paperwork and shredding

Online banking checked this morning - credit card now shows paid in full & on time. The next bill is due 3 May & will include the rest of the cost of the fence & house insurance so will be around 500. I need to do some more quotes for house insurance before 1 May so might do that today too.

Haven't heard from the heating engineer I will give him another day then ring him in the morning for an update. This is why I hate dealing with tradesmen. If he's not coming I'd rather he just say so I can get someone else.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Apr 17, 6:02 PM
    • 12,478 Posts
    • 45,824 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hate tradesmen too. They can be so unreliable.

Omg you have done so much I have done nothing today. House is a mess.

Do you have a blood test meter? It is a good way of checking how high your blood sugars are as high sugars make you sleep, as do low ones. I know several people with type 2 that have meters and they really help.
    Savings Fund(Nov 2017) 7000/8000 84%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) 60/600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well I did lots yesterday, not so much today. I did 2 hours washing up this morning, thankfully I've had an email to say my dishwasher basket wheels have been dispatched so will be back to full use soon... yay!

Also had a call from the boiler man and he is coming round tomorrow afternoon

Had a fry up at lunch time with DS and we sat and watched tv all afternoon included the 3 episodes of Sherlock that were recorded over xmas

I have a meter and tested daily when I was first diagnosed, but then shortly after the Doc told me to stop testing and then the Doc I saw yesterday said the same and that I didn't need a prescription for sharps. I am so confused. Today I phoned the number the Doc gave me yesterday to be referred to the dietician, but the receptionist said they are not dieticians and cannot give advice on low carb diet / diabetes, only healthy eating and portion sizes. Not sure what use that is going to be but I will speak to them again when they call me back.

I need to get salad and milk tomorrow and if the weather is nice I will get some more washing done. I am going to the tip on Friday with a friend who also has some stuff to get rid of so I will have some help to unload the car.

Right, time for sleep.... G'nite x
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I am getting used to a protein breakfast - 2 egg omelette with a slice of ham & sprinkle of grated cheese or bacon & fresh tomato sliced, or ham and mushroom. They only take a few minutes to cook, but whether I am going to fancy cooking / eating them at 6am when I go back to work next week is another matter I was thinking I might precook them & freeze and take them out to defrost the night before, then warm them in the microwave at work as I don't usually feel hungry until around 7.30am. I have a small cool bag I could use.

I have been to the shops and got salad and milk to last over the weekend. I am just having a cuppa before washing-up a few things leftover from last night. Washing machine is on, its warm out but more cloudy today but should still dry. The boiler man is due this afternoon so will have more idea then how much it will cost to fix.

UPDATE - boiler man has been here for 2 1/2 hours and boiler is now fixed and serviced, I now have hot water again total cost 158 which I didn't think was too bad.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 20-04-2017 at 3:34 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Apr 17, 5:14 PM
    • 12,478 Posts
    • 45,824 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Blimey that hurt! I am glad it's repaired though. Well done on eating healthily Ive been a bit naughty. lol.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Healthy eating .... I am blooming starving !!
    Ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration but I am going to add in some carbs to my lunch as chicken and salad is not enough and I am getting cold and feeling unwell in the afternoons. I've had some cheese and crackers to keep me going and feel better now. Am just waiting for DS to get back from the gym and then we will have dinner.

Today I have done washing-up and one load of clothes washed and I am up to date - the wash baskets are empty & towels done. I am going to do the bedding over the next few days if the weather stays nice before I go back to work on Monday.

I had to wash down my car yesterday and today - almost unheard of - but we have had a flock of starlings swooping over the street into the field opposite and they have targeted all the cars in the road grrr !! Fed up of bird poop !

Trip to tip tomorrow with a friend to help and we are going to get lunch after, she is going to download / print some vouchers / codes. I am hoping to keep it to under a tenner
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Apr 17, 8:22 PM
    • 12,478 Posts
    • 45,824 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good that you used vouchers. I should be shopping for flooring with builder and tidying as it's free as I can't afford to do anything else! lol.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Apr 17, 7:06 AM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Awake early so I have been cooking the books !

Bank rewards this month are 7.20. It would have been higher except VM bill was only 2.50 this month with the credit I negotiated and there is no water rates 12.19

We pay 2 different companies for water supply & waste water removal - direct debits are 12.19 and 31.78. Looking at my previous bank statements online the 12.19 appears to be over 8 months Aug-March. I will need to find the bill later and double check.

This means I have 12.19 still available this month together with personal spends left of 7.31 = 19.50 I am rich This will pay for my meal out with friends next week.

I have cash in my purse left by DP's for my birthday (in a few months time) to cover lunch today - I will just celebrate early and then should have enough cash left to put some petrol in the car before payday if needed.

Still need to renew house insurance before 1 May - the cheaper I can get it the less goes on the credit card !

Feeling drowsy now, my diary probably makes you feel like that too ! Am going to try and snooze till later
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Apr 17, 1:20 PM
    • 12,478 Posts
    • 45,824 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I'm not surprised you are drowsy I think you have done loads in the last week. I had a snooze too.

Do check MSE for insurance deals.

And your diary isn't boring at all. It helps me and keeps me going.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks SW

I managed a bit more sleep then went to the tip with friend. The last of the old fence has gone - it was triple wrapped in charity bags and big green gardening bags and a sheet of plastic ...there was no living creature climbing out of that lot in my car !!! I think I have watched too much CSI

Thankfully I didn't see any 8-legged creatures. A kind chap lifted up the old bedside cabinet and chucked it into the skip for me and one of the council workers lifted and took away the old car battery that DF had lifted into the boot for me, so all clutter now gone from boot yay

We then went to lunch at prezzo and I have had a total carb fest
    I had spag bol which was delish, my friend sent her veggie meal back as it was cold but she enjoyed the second attempt (not sure if it was replaced or the first one warmed up again) We had a 25% off voucher and I had tap water so mine was about 7.50. We then went to Wertherspoons and had dessert (naughty naughty !) they were 2 for 5 so it would have been rude not to !! With a cup of tea 1.10 the total spend today was 11.10. Was great to see my friend and have a catch up too as I haven't seen her for ages.

I then came home and slept for 2 hours Its definitely the carbs that do it I think, but I don't care today.

I have had to wash more bird poop off the car and have removed all the plastic and hoovered the last of the little bits of wood chips from the boot.

That's it for today. Sun never broke through the cloud but its been a nice day, warm and dry. Hoping for some good drying weather over the weekend so I can get bedding done, am just waiting for the weather forecast.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 21-04-2017 at 6:08 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Apr 17, 6:09 PM
    • 12,478 Posts
    • 45,824 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on getting rid of fence and well done on meal at great price.

I'm going to be washing etc tomorrow and am hoping for good weather too.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Apr 17, 6:21 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Also, forgot to add ... dishwasher wheels arrived today yay no more washing up for me !!!

I had to phone the company because they only sent me 7 wheels and 1 other item that is not a wheel not sure what it is a different part number too ? ... they are now sending me another wheel and thankfully it will work with 7 for now
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 21-04-2017 at 6:31 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Apr 17, 6:33 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    BLIMEY have just seen weather forecast - Dry but cloudy 15 degrees Saturday & sunday but then

ARCTIC CONDITIONS AND SNOW next week !!! even in the south
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Apr 17, 6:35 PM
    • 12,478 Posts
    • 45,824 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    OOOOOOH nooooooooooo, MY BABY PLANTS
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I'm sure if you can cover them they should be ok SW.

Well the forecasters were right, it is cloudy today, but there is a brisk wind and someone over the back from me has their sheets out on the line already and they are blowing well so it should be good drying weather. Will do DS's bedding today when he gets up to go to the gym & go to work.

I am going to do some batch cooking today. I think I will make the following:

- 400g cubed beef will make 2 x beef madras with cauli, broccoli & butternut squash added

- 500g minced beef will make 4 x burgers = 2 meals for DS

- 700g chicken breasts will tray bake 200g tandoori, 200g x sage and bacon and 200g x teriyaki = 3 meals for DS, I will include the other 100g in with the tandoori for my lunch today.

I have a huge sage plant growing in my garden and each year it produces lovely spikes of purple flowers, then I chop it back when it has finished flowering and it just keeps on growing - one of the few survivors in my garden and good for cooking.

DS has breakfast from freezer today & chilli for dinner from freezer to take to work on late shift. He is having lunch provided at the gym today.

I want to wash down my living room window this weekend as it is splattered with bird poop similar to my car Long handled sponge comes in handy. Hopefully once the kids are back at school next week and running around on the school field there will be less birds around ! Other than that its hoovering and ironing ready to go back to work on Monday.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 22-04-2017 at 8:26 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Apr 17, 5:47 PM
    • 12,478 Posts
    • 45,824 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Food...... Did you say food????? ive been snacking on leftovers and would love some hot cooked food. YUM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Apr 17, 7:39 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    To be honest I am sick of cooking and I didn't do any yesterday lol. Curry was nice, I had a portion for my tea. Didn't get round to making the burgers, I will do those tomorrow.

DS put his work clothes on to wash and went to the gym at 10am. I hung them out for him and then I put his bedding in and hung that out too. I'm planning on doing mine tomorrow.

I did a bit of pottering in my garden. A friend gave me a rose last autumn time, I'm not sure what kind it is but it sends out long stalks so may be some sort of climber. I found some canes in the shed today and made a wigwam rose frame with some string also found in the shed. I found some cable ties in DS's tool kit so used a few of those to tie up the bottom of the long stalks and then wound them round the canes. Hopefully that will do the trick and best of all it was "free" using stuff I already had

I also weeded a small area round the rose and can hardly move now, I am hobbling like an old woman

When I brought the washing in I found a hole in one of the pillow cases where the seam has come undone so I turned it inside out and did a bit of make do and mend with some hand sewing. Not great, but its fixed and you can't see my terrible stitching when its turned the right way out again

I've been relaxing watching tv for last few hours. It is still sunny out, hope its nice again tomorrow.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 22-04-2017 at 7:41 PM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Apr 17, 8:57 PM
    • 12,478 Posts
    • 45,824 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    We both had productive days. I can't believe I usually rest on the weekend, now I haven't been at work I have so much more energy to do things.

Well done on doing everything. You might be fed up but at least you have plenty of food and well done on sewing. I've plenty that hasn't been done.

Here's to a good day tomorrow. I am going to try to do the rest of the chairs and a second coat on the ones I did today.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 23rd Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 17,445 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Not quite managed everything I wanted to do over the last 2 weeks, but am happy with what has been done. I think you have achieved loads SW considering you have been ill !

Sun is shining this morning so I am going to put a wash on and do my bedding.

I've started using MSE advice to get home insurance quotes but I need to measure how far away next doors tree is !! One of the questions is whether the property has any trees over 10m tall within 5m of the property... I have no idea how tall it is, or how far away it is !! It is at the bottom of their garden so there is nothing nearby to compare it to, but I think it is roof height and google tells me a standard house is 20m.

I've done some other quotes that don't ask about trees and also co-op offering 50 food voucher, but they are all coming in much more than the direct line quote I did the other day. Will get outside with my tape measure once I've got dressed
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,736Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin