Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soul1
    • By soul1 4th Feb 17, 12:36 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 34Thanks
    soul1
    0 WOW
    Sainsbury's price increases after Argos group takeover
    • 4th Feb 17, 12:36 PM
    0 WOW
    Sainsbury's price increases after Argos group takeover 4th Feb 17 at 12:36 PM
    Hi everyone, has anybody else noticed that prices for food and household goods at Sainsbury's have gone up by at least by 10 to 15p on most things. Looks like Sainsbury's are getting their customers to foot the bill for their Argos group takeover. Even special offer prices have gone up. An example is Pepsi. Used to be on offer for a 1.00, now on offer for 1.25. Will now be looking to shop elsewhere.
Page 4
    • soul1
    • By soul1 19th Feb 17, 3:42 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    soul1
    Having seen the multiple threads with regards to this, I do sincerely hope that Sainsbury's management team do take note and hopefully do something. The Channel 4 Dispatches programme tomorrow night should be interesting.
    • soul1
    • By soul1 27th Feb 17, 11:08 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    soul1
    I'm just now wondering when Sainsbury's will get rid of or change their live well for less motto. It should now be live well for more or just live well.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Feb 17, 1:30 PM
    • 23,955 Posts
    • 50,309 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm just now wondering when Sainsbury's will get rid of or change their live well for less motto. It should now be live well for more or just live well.
    Originally posted by soul1
    Or just "line our greedy corporate pockets".

I don't disagree with making a profit, but can't support the sneaky methodology.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • soul1
    • By soul1 27th Feb 17, 2:31 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    soul1
    Or just "line our greedy corporate pockets".

I don't disagree with making a profit, but can't support the sneaky methodology.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Totally agree with you there. Corporate greed definitely does spring to mind imho. Just to add that somebody told me that Sainsbury's Chief Executive was recently on TV complaining about the new business rates, but from what I have read on here, Sainsbury's seem to have done well out of it.
    Also it would be interesting to hear from others with regards to what they think of the pricing at Argos and whether it is competitive or not with other retailers especially Amazon.
    In some ways though Sainsbury's have done me a favour as now I shop at all the other supermarkets instead and I have now worked out which ones offer the best prices with regards to certain products. Having said that, Sainsbury's is still the most expensive out of them all and that includes Waitrose.
    Last edited by soul1; 27-02-2017 at 2:37 PM.
    • soul1
    • By soul1 18th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    soul1
    Hi everyone just popped into my local Sainsbury's store this week just to get a few essential items and noticed the following. Sainsbury's basics eggs, we have been buying these for years but noticed this time that all the eggs are much smaller and are not mixed sizes which is what the packaging says. Also the price of these eggs has gone up. Next we bought a pack of 4 croissants and noticed that not only has the price gone up, but the croissants are also much smaller. How bad is that?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 19th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    • 14,100 Posts
    • 131,634 Thanks
    mardatha
    I recently had a box of Aldi eggs in the fridge next to a box of Sainsbugs basics eggs... and the Aldi ones were tiny wee budgie eggs - even the husband commented. So for me anyway, the difference wasn't obvious yet. But I missed the price rise, didn't spot that!
    • artyclarty
    • By artyclarty 19th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    artyclarty
    Just a heads up about eggs at the moment.

Because of bird flu, government guidelines mean most birds have been moved indoors since the back end of December. So basically all "free range" eggs are actually barn eggs at the moment. I have seen notices up in our local aldi, sainsburys and home bargains. The lidl eggs have a sticker on the box indicating this also.

This seems to mean that since the birds are indoors, they are less likely to lay the consistent sized/larger eggs that most are used to.
    • moonshine
    • By moonshine 21st Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 1,332 Thanks
    moonshine
    it's getting silly in Sains now, so many things are going up almost on a weekly basis. I've stopped shopping there now so they will be shooting themselves in the foot with this I think as their market share drops.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 14,100 Posts
    • 131,634 Thanks
    mardatha
    I wonder about the other supermarkets though - are they the same? Surely they must be. I know that Aldi costs a lot more than it used to, but that's the only other one I go to. I agree re stopping buying as the only way to go - need to try and cut down again -- be living on soup and fresh air soon!
    • Wednesday100
    • By Wednesday100 21st Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Wednesday100
    Yes, prices have gone up at all supermarkets, or pack sizes shrunk. Even at Lidl, which is my local discount retailer. However, what was notable about Sainsbury's was that they went first, many price rises on the goods I buy were around 10% and their prices remain much higher than the competition.
    • Corona
    • By Corona 8th Apr 17, 5:54 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    Corona
    Yes, prices have gone up at all supermarkets, or pack sizes shrunk. Even at Lidl, which is my local discount retailer. However, what was notable about Sainsbury's was that they went first, many price rises on the goods I buy were around 10% and their prices remain much higher than the competition.
    Originally posted by Wednesday100
    Agreed - it's not just Sainsbury's; prices at my local Tesco have also been creeping up.

Heard an economist on the radio the other day saying that, post-Brexit, we were all going to have to get used to more expensive food. Hope he's wrong
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 7,351 Posts
    • 13,497 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Heard an economist on the radio the other day saying that, post-Brexit, we were all going to have to get used to more expensive food. Hope he's wrong
    Originally posted by Corona

Before the referendum economists warned drop in the exchange rates and prices increases everywhere. The first one happened overnight and the other one has taken 5-9 months.
    • soul1
    • By soul1 8th Apr 17, 6:31 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    soul1
    Hi everyone, just an observation recently with regards to Sainsbury's and that is their everyday branded items seem to be more expensive than the other supermarkets. Our main shop is now done elsewhere and when we do visit Sainsbury's now and then, we can clearly see the price differences. One example is Weetabix 72 pack which is now 6.00 at Sainsbury's while other supermarkets are selling it for 5.70. It looks like to me that Sainsbury's are quite happy to lose more customers.
    Last edited by soul1; 08-04-2017 at 6:37 PM.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 8th Apr 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 2,044 Thanks
    robin58
    Hi everyone, just an observation recently with regards to Sainsbury's and that is their everyday branded items seem to be more expensive than the other supermarkets. Our main shop is now done elsewhere and when we do visit Sainsbury's now and then, we can clearly see the price differences. One example is Weetabix 72 pack which is now 6.00 at Sainsbury's while other supermarkets are selling it for 5.70. It looks like to me that Sainsbury's are quite happy to lose more customers.
    I doubt it. Friday I was in Sainsburys,at about 5pm. You should have seen what people were shoving into their baskets.

But then we Mse savers are not the people they are after. Sainsburys wants the young who don't understand what inflation, prices and shrinkflation are. They are the supermarkets future.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Apr 17, 12:28 AM
    • 30,301 Posts
    • 19,166 Thanks
    DCFC79
    The weetabix you mentoon will at some point be on offer so cheaper than the £5.70 unless of course the price hasnt crept up.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Apr 17, 8:33 PM
    • 17,009 Posts
    • 101,692 Thanks
    maman
    I can' really make comparisons with other SMs but Sainsbury's really are putting up prices 'because they can'.

Latest I've noticed are their own brand pouches of microwave rice. Price has risen from 50p to 60p which allegedly is a 7% increase. I notice that it's imported from France so Brexit is probably responsible.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 9th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 7,351 Posts
    • 13,497 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    But they have reduced their prices on medication. Still cheaper to buy them elsewhere. Only time I will buy them if ever I get spend £xx and get £y off. If I'm a quid short of £xx, then I will get them
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 10th Apr 17, 6:12 AM
    • 2,162 Posts
    • 3,463 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    Like all supermarkets, Sainsburys have some good points and some bad points - if you know how to exploit the good points and avoid the bad ones, they're one of the best SMs to frequent. If you don't, they're probably second worst behind Waitrose (assuming money spent is your only consideration).

The bad points are generally well covered here - Nectar is not as good value as clubcard, their homeware is expensive, brands are typically more expensive than the other huge supermarkets. And some of the vouchers you get out of the tills can be very aggressive (for instance £18 off when you spend £60 online, neglecting to mention delivery or take into account that your average spend is £10-12. Or nectar points for pet insurance when you have literally never bought pet food). But as for the good points:

Nectar deals - the ones you pre-load onto your card - are often reasonably good (and if you play SM shopping right by creating a list and sticking to them, not a difficult element to add to the routine).

They're generally involved in some of the best alcohol promotions (read through your MSE emails for beer and bubbly and it's a tight race between them and Tesco).

Their own brand and value food is in my experience usually better quality within their categories than all of their rivals including Waitrose. Baked beans, chopped tomatoes, mozarella, ham and cereal the ones that most spring to mind.

In my experience they're more likely to have products offered through other moneysaving means (such as CheckoutSmart) in stock and on the shelves than the other big supermarkets. In particular, whenever I see a freebie via COS in Asda it's invariably sold out.

In summary, Sainsburys are no different to any other supermarket, in that they have a unique approach to their way of maximising how they profit from you, and you need to have a unique approach for how to get your goods for a fair price. Where they differ is that if you get it wrong, you'll be out of pocket by more than you would have been making similar mistakes in most other places.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • prowla
    • By prowla 10th Apr 17, 7:06 AM
    • 9,556 Posts
    • 7,590 Thanks
    prowla
    I probably go to both Tesco and to Sainsbury's in a week; if I see something which has gone up by too much, then I don't buy it.
    • barker77
    • By barker77 10th Apr 17, 4:33 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    barker77
    I agree, price rises across the board making me shop elsewhere more frequently.

In summary:

The good:

Fair trade bananas, tea, coffee all fairtrade and at prices that are the same as non fair trade
    elsewhere.

Many own brand items such as baked beans, garlic bread slices all much better quality than other supermarkets and same prices.

Many of the prepared meats are all British meat, Tesco and Asda are mostly EU imports

The Bad:

Own brand, butter, cereal etc now essentially the same price as branded. Own brand malted wheaties like shreddies are double the price of Asda.

Lots of Sainsburys basics items have been discontinued which makes them much more expensive than equivalents.

Rubbish own brand baby items such as nappies and wipes.

So in all, I still shop there as often get a £10 off £50 online spend, but increasingly shop at Asda and Tesco for most of my items.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,986Posts Today

7,532Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin